November 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/11/09

We have breaking news on the battle over the war in Afghanistan. A former U.S. general who is now the U.S. Ambassador in Kabul is warning Pres. Obama not to commit more troops to war zone. Plus, the raw politics of Sarah Palin. She taped her appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show today. We'll have details and talk with the authors of a book about Palin that provides new insight on the former Vice Presidential candidate and Alaska governor.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. "starr, formerly known as vincent

@ Many Bloggers,

I agree that the loss of Lou Dobbs from CNN is sad.

Although i didn't always agree with him, i did become an Independent, largely because of his influence. I admired him for speaking truth to all of us and the powerful as well.

Lou Dobbs will be much missed, apparently by many of us.

November 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio "That is a good question. What are the moderate Muslims doing to stop these terrorists?"

Absolutely nothing.

November 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Susan

We need to have whistleblowers willing to go outside the normal channels and leak information about dangerous individuals that will force the hand of government to investigate.

November 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Jennifer - AZ

I don't understand these people. Do they want to make the world a terrible place? Religion is belief, not fact. You have a responsibility to consider your belief may be wrong. It flabbergasts me that people like this do not see how much harm they do in the name of something they consider good.

November 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  5. omar

I am an ordinary but a proud American Muslim. I condemn these hate mongers amongst us.

November 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  6. gail

Gold Star family member here that is glad that the President is taking his time. Great to have a commander in chief that thinks!

November 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse

No, this is about a good strategy that going to keep them all alive it possible. It is about fighting smarter not just put a troops in more danager.

November 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Emily

@ Jo Ann,

"Lou had guts, I will miss his candor. I wish him the best of luck!"

I second this! 😛

It's not going to be the same without him! 🙁
    Lou is going to be missed!

November 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  9. Gina

While I don't agree with their radical views, I do believe in everyone's first amendment to protected speech. These are people you cannot argue with, or talk to, you either submit, or else (in their minds). It's so sad that these grown men are being manipulated my Imams that control the funds that come into the organization, and in many cases these own men's lives. Pawns., Cannon Fodder.

November 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I'm surprised that some NYC construction workers don't just 'solve' the problem with a little citizen action.

November 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Shaun

Radical Islams should be condemned by people who practice the true Islamic faith.

November 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

November 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Susan

I met recently with a member of a local mosque at an ecumenical gathering. His group had been kicked out of Pakistan because they believe in an additional prophet. I believe there are many peace loving Muslims, but how many of them are supremacists like Hasan?

November 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  14. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@starr, formerly known as vincent

I agree with you and I trust President Obama to make the best decision on how to go forward with Afganistan.
    Last night I had light problems and could not effectively participate in the live blog, unfortunately.

November 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  15. antonio-elizabeth,NJ

There is a very thin line between activism and radical activism. A line I believe is easy to cross, its being crossed by the radical activistn in our country. That can not be aloud.

November 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Margaret Munoz

It is very good for the President to think very long and hard about sending more troops to Afghanistan. Thankfully the news from Kabul today from our Ambassador will shed a brighter light on the President
    decision making process.

Personally, I say bring our troops home as soon as possible. In light of the Fort Hood Tragedy, I think we are fighting a war of ideologies. Our troops cannot win such a war with guns, helicopters, missiles and the
    usual armaments of war.

It is in our nation's best interest for all of us to learn more about Islam and the true intent of muslims. After arming ourselves with knowledge we will have a better understanding of how best to defeat
    them.

November 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  17. John Arnold

I'd like to see a better delineation of the factors that Obama must consider when deliberating on whether or not to add subtract troops, or even te o get out altogether. Current coverage continues to imply, however unintentionally, that the question is as simple as whether or not Obama will follow the advice from his general in Afghanistan. Clearly the military input is only one domain in the decision-making process that involves the much larger context of political foreign policy of which military recommendations are an important but not exclusive.

November 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This is the only country that will let them get away with that crap.

November 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Shaun

How do the French and the Dutch handle extremism?
    It always seems like they are in London or America.

November 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  20. Zak

In my opinion...
    our President is doing the right thing in deciding if we should send our troops to Afghanistan or not
    all the Indian, Pakistani, Afghanistani politicians are corrupt because they don't care about their citizens...besides themselves
    I don't want our American lives to be lost over there for no reason
    Once again, I think Obama is doing the right thing!!!!!!!

November 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  21. Emily

@ Gady Mayen – Hamilton, Canada,

"fascinating" indeed!
    the fact that they hate a country that is allowing them to express themselves like that has also not gone unnoticed!
    unbelievable! 😮

November 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Thomas Frauenshuh

I served my country in Korea, and want to thank all the Military for their dedication to service on this Veteran's Day. I am thankful to have a
    President who is cautious about sending more troops. The Afghans
    need to show they are ready to fight for their own freedom, just as
    we have done in the past.

November 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  23. Kathleen Donnellan

I think we should leave Afganistan, the people don't want us there, the government is corupt they don't care about the people. What is the point. Al kida is pretty much gone to the south and really doesn't need a geographic base nor does the Taliban.

November 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  24. Heather - Spokane, WA

If these extremists dont like everyone where they are, then why are they there? Take your hate somewhere else

November 11, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  25. Eddie

Why don't they go hide in a cave with their hero Bin Laden?

November 11, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  26. Mariann

The 'radical' ideas of these groups are so far away from rational that is it disturbing...even frightening

November 11, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  27. "starr, formerly known as vincent

Seriously, I don't understand how these muslim radicals should be allowed to demonstrate and outright say that All others in each country should become Muslim or leave their own country!

I say (as many bloggers did last night), that thiskind of speech is Treason and they should either be arrested or deported from each country that they threaten!

November 11, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"Lou Dobbs didn't let political correctness get in the way of the truth."

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, You are so right about that!

November 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  29. Henya CA,

We defiantly need to change the strategy we have Bean there for the
    last 8 yr, Ben Ladin is not their the cost of life it is to much and today is veteran's day. Afghanistan Government is corrupt we need to know when we can get out. I agree with Peter 100% disagree with David,
    And I will support the President watt ever the decision he makes.

November 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  30. Katrina

bring our troops home.
    no more deaths to fight a philosophy that will not be unraveled
    agree to disagree – send them a message (which we did) to let them know that they do not have the right to spread their hatred w/o consequences – and then let them alone

November 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  31. Kathy Chicago

We've read a couple of books about Muslims for book club. Like anything else, a few bad seeds give all a bad name. After 9-11 though, I don't have as much tolerance for radicals.

November 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  32. Darrell Nissen

We can not win in Afghanistan just like Iraq. We must save our soldiers and our Dollars. Please do not send more troops or you will be just like Bush.

November 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  33. Emily

"30 Serious terror plots"! OMG!

November 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  34. Chuck

These extreemists in our country, advocating death and destruction of all non believers. They should all be picked up and sent to where ever. We need to nip that in the bud NOW or suffer in the long run.

November 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  35. jen

anderson,
    for the past several days now you've been showing those same two radical islamic guys in new york. i don't get it. there's just two of them and i think you're giving them way too much coverage.

November 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Sharon Hastings

Hmmmm, Lou is leaving? Not surprised.

November 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Ken from Ohio

We urge Americans to contact Congress and the Administration,
    especially after the events of the last couple of weeks, to move
    quickly to get our brave men and women out of Afganistan and Iraq.
    These people have performed admirably, and we do not need to
    send anymore people into harms way in these areas.
    History should tell us that we are in a losing cause.

Ken from Ohio

November 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Soledad G

I think Carey is embarrassed and doesn't know what to do with herself.

November 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  39. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Deport the whole gang of radicals to Afghanistan.

November 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  40. Emily

@ carolyn j,
    I agree with you!
    what a shameful thing to do!

I wonder how long he was doing that for?

November 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  41. Gina

These muslim radicals are the Aryan nation but only on the other side of the coin.

November 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  42. Lori

Hi Anderson, Erica and Everyone!

November 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Haydee

Hi Gina in regards to your comment: fundamentals are making the face of the earth DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!They are everywhere.

November 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  44. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Lou Dobbs didn't let political correctness get in the way of the truth.

November 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am grateful Lou Dobbs to service CNN many years worked so hard, I miss him forever. Thanks Lou!!!!! 🙂 CNN proud of him! 🙂

November 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, You keep saying that this is a small group, but it only took 19 radical Islamists to carry out the 911 attacks.

November 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Chuck

Having spent nearly 22 years active duty, I can understand and accept some tall tales from my comrads in arms, however someone that has never served putting on a uniform and pretending to have served. Wow... that really bites

November 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  48. dai wilson

i think that its a good thing for obama to take his time we as a world nation shouldnt be at war full stop war is for people who make money from it it is wrong to kill humans we are naturally good so we should be following our true nature i believe america is paranoid and the war machine rules over there it seems to me that we live in the dark ages still killing people war is wrong i hope obama finds a great idea for the war in afganistan he is a great man bound bye great things so do what you do obama create the peace and love that most of us desire my mantra for the day 'for the good of humankind'

November 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  49. "starr, formerly known as vincent

@Gady Mayen, Canada

ALL fundamentalists think that they are right and that killing for God is the Only way! They are All in the minority and we need to remember that and prove them wrong.

November 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  50. carolyn j

oh no lou dobbs will end up on fox..

November 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm |