November 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/09/09

Tonight, we have breaking news on the suspected Fort Hood killer. Plus, Oprah talks with Anderson about her book club and her passion to educate children. And, we're taking your questions on health care reform. Text your questions to AC360 or 22360.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cheryl P.

@ David, Indiana – Yes, a red card in soccer means you're out of the game

November 9, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  2. John-Winnipeg, MB

I think Oprah is a celebrity who really makes a difference in this world we live in. She makes it a better place to live.

November 9, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Michelle

I looking to reading the book as well as Push which
    it the basis for the movie Precious. Say you are one
    of them sounds amazing.

November 9, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  4. stella Mosley-New Mexico

Hi Anderson, I really enjoy the webcast, that you shared with Oprah and the author of Say You Are One of Them, When you talked about your brother committing suicide. I can't understand it as well, that our young people in the United States have so much, compared to other countries, but yet, they are willing to take their own lives, this is a tragedy in our country.

November 9, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  5. David, Indiana

@Isabel and Megan what's a red card? A soccer penalty?

November 9, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  6. "starr, formerly known as vincent

@ Shannon, you must have been quite traumatized, especially at that age, with the DC sniper(s) running around.

I remember the tarps at the gas stations. Stil gives me chills to think about it.

November 9, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Dodie ~ California

Oprah is a very wise woman! She knows the value of education!

November 9, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  8. Lori

I wish I could go to school there. :o)

November 9, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Jacqueline, NY

Hi all!

Anderson when will you be holding your own web book club, as I have suggested to you and Jack earlier this summer, where the members get to suggest and choose the books?

November 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@David Gergen, when someone is yelling "Allah Akbar" as he shoots his fellow soldiers it's a pretty slam dunk case to me.

November 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Anthonia-Bay Area!

Oprah is just wonderful! She should come to my homeland of Nigeria to create schools for young girls too 🙂

November 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Lori

That is a great opportunity for thos girls.

November 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello David Gergen!
    I agree with you, too! I know it is so indeed sad for soldiers death..... I felt their pain so well. Thanks for your comment.

November 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Will John have front seat at the execution! This is almost like hang them high!

November 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  15. samora

i went to the same high school as the trigger man MALVO . i graduated a few years before him, but knew people who knew him. it was all so shocking.

November 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Shannon, VA

I was a sophomore in high school at the time, and when that poor kid got shot all the teachers freaked out. Suddenly all the sports practices were in the gym and we weren't allowed outside for almost any reason. I live less than a mile from my high school, but my parents refused to let me walk.

It was a pretty terrifying time. I'd been to a lot of the places where shootings took place. I remember some gas stations even hung up tarps to try and block the sight-lines to their customers.

November 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Andre

The U.S. needs term limits point blank. If we had that elected officials would do their jobs and represent their constituents instead of lining their pockets with special interest money. If you knew you only had to terms to serve in congress you would get up every morning trying to make a difference in order to leave a legacy. Works for presidents

November 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jerry,
    Agreed!!! LOL 🙂

November 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Kristen, MD

I remember the DC Sniper, I was still in high school back then. My crazy mom still made me walk outside and wait for the bus. It was kinda scary, you just didn't know when and where the next shooting was coming.

November 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why does CNN always try to humanize these murderers? John Alleln Muhammed deserves the death penalty. They should put him in front of a firing squad so that he can get a taste of his own medicine.

I have no sympathy for him.

November 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  21. Lori

That certainly gave the DC sniper power didn't it? He must have felt very powerrful at that time.

November 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

So scary. I lived less than 2 miles from that gas station in Fredericksburg at the time of the shootings. Our neighborhood was put on lock-down. My Dad always filled up at that station before going to work. He didn't like going there after the shooting.

November 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  23. David Gergen

Hello everyone - thanks for tuning in tonight. The story of Major Hasan is mystifying. Am so glad that so many people are not jumping to conclusions, waiting till we learn more facts. Let's hope that investigators can pry some from him. In the meantime, tomorrow promises to be a day of remembrance for those who have fallen - and Wednesday a day when we can all remember that despite this shooting, the U.S. Army is one of the finest organizations in the country.

November 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with attorney, He will be sentence death for now, I hope he never his family anymore. My heart goes to victim's families lost love ones! Thanks Joe Johns.

November 9, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Cynthia, NC

Hello. Watching the Timeline of Terror for the DC sniper gives me cold chills. October 2002 was a terrifying time.

November 9, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Michelle

This was a really frightening time in DC, Virginia
    and Maryland. Everyone was afraid to go to gas
    stations.

November 9, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  27. ericacnn

@Jerry – ha 🙂

November 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  28. gail

The law currently is that no federal funds may be used for abortions. Where Stupak goes to far is in saying that people can not use Private money to by insurance in the exchange and have abortion as part of the coverage. Gov't will not tell me how to spend my money , but I do agree that federal funds should not be used for abortions .

November 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  29. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That was sad case!

November 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  30. Virginia

Joe Jackson, contesting Michael's will. How dare he! Since it was his abuse that caused Michael's demise. He never even showed any emotions or sympathy after his son's death. I hope He gets nothing.

November 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  31. lisal .canada

I can't believe that was 2002 - feels like it was just last year.

November 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  32. Thomas

Hey, wait a minute. You are reporting 25% of residents in New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, and Florida are uninsured and yet the Republican senators will not vote for health care reform, hurting their constituents.
    I really think if you want to keep them honest, you need to be so your selves. Tell us what percent of citizens who are real constituents are uninsured. I suspect you are including a large number of illegal immigrants as uninsured residents, and if so this is very misleading reporting on your part. Just keeping you honest.

November 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  33. Daisy21

Just wondering why Candy Crowley and others in the media keep calling this a "health care" reform bill? All I am seeing is the Democrats demonizing yet another industry - the health insurance industry. All this legislation is proposing is regulating health insurance and providing it to more people. there is nothing in the bill that will actually reform "health care". If this bill passes, will the amount of money my doctor charges for an office visit decrease? Will a night in the hospital be cheaper? I don't think so. What Democrats are talking about is insurance, not health care. ALL people currently have health care, what they might not have is health insurance. those are 2 different issues. Please use the proper descriptions when discussing them. this is not health care reform.

November 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  34. Manuel Henandez

I can't believe that the greatest nation on the planet can not figure out to take care of its citizens. Rushing a flawed bill through the house and senate is a huge mistake that we will be paying for for years to come. Why can't we use some of the money we put into social security everymonth to subsidize healthcare for working people and continue to assist those who are disabled through medical and medicare. All those that are on welfare or public assistance can and should work for their benefits by delivering meals to seniors and shut ins. Everyone has something to offer and some way to help earn their medical benefits. Lets git er dun!!!

November 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  35. Susanne Miller

In giving the statistics on Texas and how many residents have no medical insurance, you gave the percentage as 25% for Texas. What is clearly not being said is that much of Texas is rapidly becoming Northern Mexico, and illegal immigrants account for the majority of that 25%. They are not entitled to medical insurance, but they do get free medical care – at the expense of every other citizen here. They are largely responsible for putting our health care systems in Texas at risk for bankruptcy. This is the real story.

November 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Robert Intriago

The states with the highest uninsured were border states. How many of the uninsured were illegal immigrants? In order to be accurate you have to make a distiction.

November 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  37. Jerry, San Antonio,TX

Whoa...i just searched this blog for "erica" and now realize the "erica" is part of "AmERICA"....you are really patriotic Erica 🙂

November 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Isabel Siaba (Brazil)
    I agree with you!!! LOL! She have deserved red card!!! I am so glad she is suspend right now! YES!

November 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  39. Denise, Texas

Because of the lack of insurance many people are forced to use ERs as primary care. This causes ERs to become overcrowed and not able to take care of the "Emergencies".

November 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  40. ericacnn

@Bryan – That's a good question. I just asked Randi, she said uninsured illegal immingrants amount to a small fraction of those numbers and barely register in the data. If they were removed, the number of uninsured would be about the same.

So, the short answer is: not many.

November 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  41. art

you just said 1/4 of Texans don't have health insurance. Thats wrong. 1/4 of Texans don't pay for health insurance, they just go to the emergency wards and get free health coverage from the tax payers

November 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Jim from VA

Hi Anderson,

Why did your TX health care story not point out that most of the "25%" of Texans not insured are illegal aliens, and will not be covered by the currrent House Affordable Health Care Bill? You made it look like they will be covered by the bill and they will not be.

November 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The health care bill will die in the senate.

November 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Cheryl P.

Oprah/CNN Webcast just ended.
    Anderson, you missed a great interview – Oprah Skyped in a young man from Quebec who lost his entire family in one night during the Rawanda genocide. He told his amazing story of how he was the only one in his family to survive by jumping behind a sofa.
    Incredible story.

November 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  45. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

A couple of questions:

- what percentage of uninsured are also registered voters? I'd bet you an ice cream cone that a majority of uninsured don't vote, so they have like zero political power

- in states with high uninsured, how much do they pay in public costs to serve those people in emergency rooms? Can we quantify that?

November 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  46. lisal .canada

Good discussion with David and Candy. Some very valid points there.

November 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  47. "starr, formerly known as vincent

I would like to see either a 2 year trigger , like Olympia Snow suggested, or a robust Public Option, no a "watered down" version.

This looks like it's going to be a major struggle in the Senate!

I hope it gets done Before 2010 elections.

The Panel discussion-excellent, as always.

November 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Andrew

Anderson congrats on identifying some of the senators who are objecting to the public option and have health care problems in their states (where a lot of their constituents have no health care).
    I say identify all (i.e. ALL) the senators by name who are doing this. Pleeease! And ensure you keep on top of this in your future programs.
    You are the only person so far that I seen doing this on national TV.
    Keep up the good work you "studly commen sense thinker".

November 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  49. shannon

I am a pediatrician in Texas. The reason our uninsured rate is as high as 25% is because of the high number of illegal immigrants. You failed to mention this fact in the story. It is way more complicated than meets the eye to cover these nontaxpaying immigrants.

November 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Raina

I am appalled by the amendment prohibiting federal funding towards abortion. The Democratic party CAVED and sacrificed the legal reproductive rights of Women. The Democrats pride themselves as being for Women's rights, but when it counts, women are pushed to the side. So much for equal protection under the law. What a disgrace!

November 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |