November 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/06/09

Tonight we have the latest developments on the attack at Fort Hood, Texas.  Plus, Anderson's one-on-one interview with Oprah Winfrey on her book club selection and more.

Want to know what else we're covering? <strong><a href="http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sgt Gorman

Hi Anderson and all.

Sgt Gambrell – Thank you for your service! ... and agreed! First Sergeants and higher ranks should be allowed to carry sidearms on Transit Posts as large as Ft Hood.

As an Army Soldier, i know this tragedy has forever changed and affected so much in regards to U.S. Military Bases, not just in the U.S. but abroad.

I've read some of the comments in regards to the feelings of safety in and on Military Installations. That is so true. Or was.

But that's now a thing of the past!

Sgt Gary Gorman
    United States Army

November 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Neela

Hasan is obviously mentally disturbed and obilviated by the role he was entitled to by turning his ranks into this craziness tied to Islam, as being a muslim myself....that is a muslim's greatest fear for this to happen as most of us muslims are really getting sick of these lunatics who are ruining our image. And it is insane for the radical muslims in NY to condone what happened at Fort Hood. They are another perfect example of why mainstream muslims are misunderstood when such people have the odasity to promote their deranged ideologies on the basis of their faith which is completely the untrue and opposite to the teachings of Islam. I'm astonished and angry that how could those people in NY be doing that especially living in the US and after such a horrific and heart-breaking tragedy.

November 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Renee

@ Isabel: Orlando is a high crime city. Just because it looks perfect at theme parks doesn't mean it is safe. Tourists bring in lots of crime. There is a show on TV here Dr. G Medicine Women. She is a coroner in Orange County FL. Lots of crimes to solve each and every episode.

November 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  4. rhoda d.

Years ago, my husband trained at Walter Reed as an intern and resident in psychiatry. During that time he had at least one psychotic break for which I sought help from the psychiatric attending physicians who were training him. Symptoms included rocking in a corner for days and seeing people walk down the street with guns, when I saw no-one. The staff psychiatrists at Walter Reed who were training him either ignored me or told me he was perfectly normal. This process of denial for one of their own seems to have continued down to the present day. The Walter Reed staff psychiatrists and fellow residents must be following the same psychological process of denial that one of their own is sick. They didn't help him then; he is now totally and permanently disabled by a mental disease. What is worse is that they never kept records of the little treatment he received, Makes it hard to file for a service related disability. Yesterday's Fort Hood events demonstrate that the process of denial is alive and well at the Walter Reed department of Psychiatry. Put the blame where it belongs.

November 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Chris Justice

I am a soldier myself and I have deployed 2 times so far. This being said that my first time I was scared as hell, however with Hasan I am seeing a fine balance between islam extremism and pre-deployment jitters (himself not being deployed before). Not only that but A LOT of RED flags have gone up over the last few years for this guy. This is it short and sweet. A, so called, American, (islam or not) signed a contract to serve and protect the United States of American and to deploy and fight, in his case to treat soldiers, when and where you are told to weither you like it or not. I feel no pitty for this piece of work. I must stop now before I get too worked up and say something else that will cause national and religious disturbance.

November 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Michelle

Anderson thank you so much for the interview with
    Oprah. Please continue to bring us stories from around
    the globe.I think it is about enlightenment. A lot of people
    are just not likely aware or the news just does not cover
    news from around the globe.

November 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Amjad

These guys should not be allowed to do what they did in NY. They think they represent Islam but they dont know what Islam is all about . As a Muslim I am embarrassed of their actions. As a Muslim community we condemn any act of terrorism that targets innocent people. We are proud to be Muslim Americans and we love this country. My heart goes out to the families of Fort Hood that lost their loved ones.

November 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Dimitri

I am an American Muslim, those Muslims on the streets of new york quoting the Holy Quran to justify the killings they were advocating are taking the Quran out of its historical context. Those verses were pertaining to the situation and condition of the Muslim community in the 7th century when they were ingaged in war with non-muslims whom persecuted them and exiled them from their homeland.

November 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  9. Emily

This shot is so FUNNY! 😛

I'd hate to be in that prison.

November 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hi Oprah! Hi Anderson!

November 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  11. Lydia

I thought there was a provision in our free speech rights that exempted treason. Am I correct? Could you find out or address this, please? Just the idea of terror simply being control or intimidation through fear is anxiety producing for me. Can't we please learn "that all we are saying is give peace a chance" Thanks for your wonderful journalism.

November 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Lori

That Ghana series was a great one!

November 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Judy

My thoughts and prayers go out to the residents of Ft. Hood. I do believe some heads should roll though. HOW could this psycho be promoted to Major with so many problems? As well as people knowing about him for over six months. My GOD, where have they been?

November 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Wally

As much as terrorist want us to be afraid and change our life-style, I will go about my life as usual..... but always keeping an eye open to people around me who have suspicious behavior....

November 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  15. Steve- San Diego

I am further convinced after watching the radical muslims on the streets of New York...terror will always be a fact of life for my kids and their kids and on and on...

November 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Tricia

As a Army Veteran I am saddened by the loss of my brothers and sisters and my prayers go out to all the military families. I am outraged as to the relocation of this murderer to San Antonio where my children are stationed not only 10 minutes from the hospital and I am concerned about their safety as well as all the other families. How dare these radical muslims in New York consider Major Hasan a hero, and yet you are American born, you are hypocrites, you do not deserve to live in our country!!!

November 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  17. Luke

I am deeply disturbed and concerned about these radical Muslims and their freedom to speak hatred about the United States, to praise the actions of Nidal Hasan and to justify the actions of 911. They go to the limit to speak with such demeanor about our president, and speak of love for Osama Bin Laden? I don't get why there is no regulation over the first amendment.. you would think we would draw the line somewhere.

November 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  18. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I have a sincere interest in what's going on throughout the world (socially) as I never had before. Part of that reason truly is 360 (and maybe me growing up a little).

November 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  19. Timmy

It is truly sad the very people that are dying for the freedom of our country are condemned by the people who blatantly abuse it's freedom of speech.

To put this in perspective the peace movement in the late 1960's I believe protested against the principal of war, not hoping or wishing that those serving in our Armed Forces should perish.

I do hope Yes We Can can, because what I see today in this world I am afraid what my children will grow up to see.

November 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Jeri Lyn

Hi- I am in the city and had the opportunity to be touring the USS New York while this terrorism was ongoing in Texas. What a newfound respect I gained as I met with the various soldiers!!!!! It was quite un-nerving to be touring while the men and some women were carrying M-16's!!!!! God bless these soidiers both abroad and on our own un-safe soil!

Was honored to hear you speak at the Univ. of Arkansas!

November 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Cally

Oprah you are so wrong that people don't want to read about foreign people and places. Is that why James Michner sold millions of his books. please....

November 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Halima

Hello Anderson
    My sympathies to the familes at Fort Hood during this horrific time. This comment is in regards to the piece done by Drew on the individuals preaching against Americans in New York City – am surprised that these people are allowed air time – They are out there quoting imaginary parts of the Qu'ran – reaching out to anyone who would listen. At times like this it is easir to ignore these kind of people and focus on the fact that Muslims are not like this – and not to asociate these radicals with Muslims.

November 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Jennifer - AZ

Americans don't like foreign stories/names? I hope that isn't true.

November 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Craig

It is dishearting to see radicals in this country voice such vulgar and obscene views on the American people, and more importantly, our President. It is sickening that we allow these verbal terrorists to say what they will while they feed and live off of the American system. This is the land of the free and the brave, not the land of cowards and disturbers of peace.

November 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Megan

I still can't believe what happened yesterday! Its a big shock. Especially to have it happen on American soil and on an Army post by one of their own, let alone an officer. My older brother is in the national guard and trained there back in 2005.. How could this happen. How could the red flags be ignored.. just because he was a mental doctor doesn't mean he doesn't have some issues himself. i wonder what his patients are thinking now.

i was just watching Anderson's show and saw the 'Muslim racialist' or whom ever they claim to be. I dont understand them. Especially the guy that says Alah tells them to terrorize everyone. it doesn't make since!

Have a great weekend and keep those at effected by the events of Fort Hood in your thoughts!

A proud American and Military supporter!
    Megan 🙂

November 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Wes

Just seen the folks protesting in newyork. If he admits to terrorizing Americans why is this not considered plotting a terrorist attack on America.

November 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

I love short stories... they can have a much greater impact sometimes than a novel. No filler.

November 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  28. Lee Hanks

Ft Hood was my home for 11yrs as my mother was stationed there. My heart goes out to all the families involved in this tragedy. It's heartbreaking to see leaders of our military killing our own soldiers

November 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  29. Tamesha

Is in love with Oprah, she's such a great person!

November 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Kevin Allen Smith Jr

Mr.Cooper,
    I want to comment on the Muslim men you just had a piece on it is truly people like them that destroy what being a Muslim is all about. They incite hate, anger and violence all things that in fact the Koran(Qur'an) was written to bring an end to in the Middle East. It sickens me that the very laws and country that allows these men to speak as they do they hate. I can hardly bear to see such idiocracy being allowed in any place let alone our beloved USA.

Kevin Smith Jr.

November 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  31. John

Has Obama made any comments on the Ft. Hood disaster? If not, why not?

32. michele

dear anderson
    The diaster that happened at FT. hood makes me sick to my stomach. As a mother of a young sailor it makes me very angry that my son is risking his life patroling the seas for pirates and defending idiots like the revolution muslim. when will this country get it right and shut down the boarders to all the refugees brought here day in and day out. When will we take care of our own. Why do we always have to be politically correct.

33. Jim

the guys of revolution muslims been preaching in NY over a year now, and have their own channels on youtube too and they upload their weekly street preaching weekly, just wondering why now ???

34. Chris

Anderson,

I just have to ask...if these guys think we are the enemy and despise us, then why are they living here??????????

35. Marilyn from Canada

I cannot believe those yahoos on the streets of New York, or on any street for that matter. Keep a very close eye on them as well as on those who accept their garbage handouts! What is this world coming to? I'm absolutely disgusted and pray for the families of those lost and wounded. May God help us and protect us from idiots like these!

36. Abo Ahmad

As an American Muslim, I felt so sick when I watched those radicals on TV giving comletely wrong picture about Islam.
    If those individuals attempt to say this in any Arbic country, they will be killed by the police within seconds.
    I hope the New Yorl Law enforcement find a way to quiet them.

37. Bill

As a former Ft. Hood Soldier and Police officer I salute the 2 first responders that engaged the lunatic shooting at Ft Hood

38. Firoz

Furthermore, I think they should help people understand this beautiful and peaceful religion what it stands for and not to preach hatred.

39. dale

when you promote these things by reporting it 24 hr.a day, like the two men on the street if you would not show it ,that would help alot

40. Keith

Radical groups like these should get out of this country if they dislike it so much. America needs to put God back in it or we wont have an America before long

41. Eddie

AC,

The reason for Hasan to have been "blindly" promoted is that the Medical Corp is much different than the rest of the Army. Doctors are such a valued resource in the Army that the are not held to the same standards as combat arms officers. The Army spoils them because there is such a pay disparity when compared to their civillian counter parts. I would be willining to best this "Major" never had a day on the books leading troops.

42. Parry DuBois

Thanks Anderson for "Digging Deeper" into the insult radical Islam is exacting on the American People. How do we get rid of this scurge. There are perhaps, millions of unguided, unfathered young men in this country right now that could easily be swayed by the hate of these radicals. "We the people" need to find the time and energy to embrace our youth and show them a better way. The way intended by our forefathers. The way that embraces hard work, service to others and patriotism. The hearts and minds of a generation our yearning for direction. God help us if we don't provide it.

43. David, Indiana

@Heidi, yes it is scary but he was caught.

That is incredibly inflammatory rhetoric that those guys in front of the mosque are using, it looks like folly to me, but at this pt it's possible that Maj Hasan's motivations were more personal.

44. lisal .canada

i guess communications problems can mess up the best of plans. pretty funny, though! just watching oprah laugh like that really was great!

45. Sola

I am amazed that you give two crazy people standing at a corner air time and an interview

November 6, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  46. Dan - White Plains MD

You mean to tell me that Oprah does really laugh? Awesome! Is there someone in the background tickling her feet? This should be fun to watch.

November 6, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  47. Mary

Since when did we become so un-sensatized to people openly saying things that this guy was saying and not even raise a red flag, instead promoting him to a Major in the Army!

It's time we open our eyes and use common sense. Democracy is great but with boundries.

November 6, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  48. Julie from DC

Why is CNN giving national exposure to these few guys in NY.
    What good comes of this?

November 6, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  49. Judy

Why haven't we heard more about the 25 soldiers wounded (killed) by friendly fire while searching for the bodies of the 2 missing soldiers in Bala Murghab today? thx

November 6, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  50. Abdullah

I am an Arab (Saudi descent) Muslim born in America, and I want to condemn the attacks on Fort Hood, and also the extremists/jihadist group in New York we saw earlier in the program (with the converts yelling hateful things). They do not represent the true Islam in any way, and this must be noted. But at the same time, the threat of extremists/jihadists must be recognized. Sadly, many Muslims who live in the West (especially England and America) are increasingly radicalize. We must fight this extreme ideology. I believe there are two extremes, the extremely liberal Westernized one, and the jihadist extremist one, but we must make the middle stronger, to preserve Islamic and Arabic culture, but at the same time respecting others and not be extremists.

November 6, 2009 at 10:49 pm |