November 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/06/09

Tonight we have the latest developments on the attack at Fort Hood, Texas.  Plus, Anderson's one-on-one interview with Oprah Winfrey on her book club selection and more.

Want to know what else we're covering? <strong><a href="http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Debbie

Why Hasan was promoted?

I heard on talk radio today a caller who said that promotion to captain after graduating medical school is automatic in the Army and promotion to major is automatic when becoming board certified. Any truth to this?

November 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Keisha

Doctors, and what not come into the army as officers. When you have the proper schooling, you will enter the army with a high rank. Not everyone starts from Private.

November 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  3. robert guy

i can not belive some one who speaks so poorly about my county, AMERICA, ha sthe same rights as I do. Help me goverment, get rid of these people who are so openly haters of our great country!

November 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Bianca

I dont' think that the first amendment should protect anyone who incite hatred and terror against the United States. Why should they enjoy the same privilege that true Americans enjoy. If they don't like it in this country, they can leave!!

November 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Patricia

As a military mom I have to come to terms, with what’s involved when my child is deployed. As of yesterday, I’ve become conscious that war will be engaged, anywhere at anytime and by the most unsuspecting of persons.

November 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Ron Kaminski

Please do not show those radical Muslims preaching their trash on the streets of New York! They should just be watched by the authorities and not ever given any television time for their venomous words.

November 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  7. Michelle

If the numbers of the homegrown radicals are growing,
    is there a reason behind this? I noticed that some of
    the people passing by took the literature they were
    handing out in NY.

November 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Vickie

If these radicals hate the US so much, why are they still here? They talk a good game, but they would never leave the freedoms of the US behind to stand with their beloved Osama Bin Laden. The love him, but not THAT much.

November 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Jennifer - AZ

How do you reach radical people? Their logic is disturbing.

November 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  10. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Anderson and Oprah – two media titans... I can't wait!

November 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  11. jeremy

Be angry with the guy but blame the people that could of prevented it from the begining but did nothing because its all about the numbers and the needs of the army. Shame on them

November 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  12. William Zachary

Anderson, these radical Islamic kooks you showed in NYC need to be taken off the street. Charles Manson never killed anyone directly, but he caused others to do so for him. These guys are nothing more than Islamic versions of Manson, and they need to be locked up just like Manson.

November 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Lori

It looks like Anderson really got a chuckle out of Oprah!

November 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Darron S.

Yes Mr. Copper I am a retired soldier from Widener Ar. who was activated on Oct. 14 of 2003. I was injured in Iraq twice and recieved 2 purple hearts on my tour in Iraq. I was then sent home and had to go through different medical evaluations when i was sent to Fort Hood for my care. I to went trough similair phases in life after I was sent home to get adjusted to civilian life, but I never pulled out a armed weapon and fired at soldiers/ innocent civilians with my time spent at Fort Hood, my home town, and where I reside now in Marion, Ar. I also fell that I didn't get the percentage that I deserved from the Military, but I know where my blessings come from and I have been living a great life Thanks To God!

November 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  15. Keisha

LOVE your post Marc! I would love to see those guys in NY come to Main Gate at Fort Hood, and see what happens.

November 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  16. lisal .canada

it is interesting how different people can read or view the same thing and interpret it differently. it is often beneficial to see two or more sides to a story even if one does not agree, but when there is violence and hate, one has to pause and question what is it's value to humanity and survival.

November 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Cessy, Chicago IL

Sad to say that we might not be able to reach PEACE in our lifetime. There's too much hatred and violence going on...

November 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Debbey

This country is extremely tolerant. However, the time has come to stop the Muslem anti-American attitude in the us. Now we are truely being attacked from this community in a way that has never happened with any other immigrant community. The Australian President seems to have the right attitude....If you do not like our country then go home. Stop trying to change our country and traditions and standards. If you don't like our traditions and standards then go to the country you agree with. For the american born that do not like our traditions, they let them move to the Muslem areas of the world.

November 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  19. grace taiwan

Are those radical group really Americans ?! Then they should not spread hatred and attacks on their own people... It is sickening.
    Good evening to all ac360 team and everybody.

November 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

No, they preach killing. Where is the love of God not the love of Satan?

November 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  21. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Do the street corner "morons" also have a web presence? It seems the web can really support organizing for these kinds of groups.

November 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  22. Renee

So glad Peter is on tonight. Seems to help me understand this folks better!

November 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  23. steffie

Anderson,I don't know what will be solved by knowing the background of this Fort Hood murderer,Someone who is going to kill people go unnoticed most times till it is to late and they have acted.My prayers are with all the families and loved ones of all the victims,great repoting as always Andersonn.....

November 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  24. Emily

you can't go anywhere in Britain without being on camera...they have the most cameras of any country in the world!

November 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  25. Bianca

Darn that first amendement!!! Why should the first amendment protect these people if they are inciting hatred and terror against the United States? Why do we tolerate this? It's not tolerate in Europe!

November 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  26. lynn

i by all means am not sticking up for what this man did by far and my hearts go out to the victims and their families this was something that never should of happened but no body knows the true facts just yet. blaming it on religion is how more hatred is caused in this world.

November 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Salwa Jaffal

This tragedy is very disturbing to me, and as a Muslim, I am very disappointed in Hassan for having done this because our religion does not state that killing innocent people is allowed. I don't support the war in Iraq, but i don't think that this is the way to resolve and express how i feel about the situation.

November 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  28. robert guy

do not protect these who hate america, send them away, NOW

November 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Suzon

When are we going to start paying attention to "red flags" and investigate them before a tragedy happens? Our country is in sad shape. My heart and prayers go out to all the victims of this, yet another, hate crime.
    My prayers continue for our country.

November 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  30. Jennifer - AZ

Anderson, I like that – morons standing on a corner.

November 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Jenny

Peter Bergen nailed it--

November 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

I wouldn't want to believe that for Mj Hasan be a Muslim that has direct connection with their actions

November 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Sounds like the groups know how to say enough to get on tv but not enought to get brought in for questioning.

November 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Emily

Great to see Peter Bergen on CNN tonight....get his prospective on what's going on here....

November 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Cynthia, NC

Good evening. The story on the Revolution Muslims is disturbing. More people fueling hate is not what we need.

November 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Linda

Isn't it weird that a man who grew up in the US didn't get married because he insisted on a wife wearing hijab?

November 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Lori

Hello Anderson. TGIF

November 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Emily

What irony!
    That these "folks" can go out there and say that stuff, and the reason that they can is because of America, and they say that they hate America!

November 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Amy

Good evening Anderson,
    I was just wondering why you keep referring to him beginning with the name of his religion? I don't want to name all religions in the world, but had his religion been anything other than Islam would you still refer to him as "[name of the religion] shooter"?

November 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

And the fact that they are members of a protected minority.

November 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Amanda

The attorney with the JAG corps made a lot of sense - obsessive political correctness– it's a really big problem. Clearly people talk with some others about suspicions but in bigger groups are too afraid to. Seeing what happened yesterday and his name - to me it's not politically correct BUT it seems Islam and his beliefs had a lot to do with the killings. I'll be interested if the authorities allow info out if he was in a cell or connected with overseas terrorists. The Army will be gravely embarrassed!!

November 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  42. "starr, formerly known as vincent

The Revolution Muslims i am sure, have brought the attention of American intelligence agencies and God knows who else....they have their number.

This group is an insult to our intelligence. Oh, and i'm sure that they are affiliated with All of those others listed, Not!

As always, a great report by Drew.

November 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. charlotte

I have a question for any muslim....What is the definition (by your Koran) of an infidel? And what does your Koran tell you to do to infidels? There needs to be laws to arrest those who threaten and tell us outright that their intent is to attack our people....Does anyone think that when the constitution was written, our forefathers thought that they would be protecting dangerous radicals who are here to kill us?? Were threats to kill innocent people part of that free speech? I do not think that is what the constitution was written for... We need to look at the constitution again and change the laws!!! If you hate our country and all we stand for...leave our country!!!!! We will never become one of you!!!!

November 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Sharon Hastings

I have to agree with the collective voice "how did this guy get to be a military officer?" Major or no, doctor or no, he had superiors, he's had supervision. Sounds like this is longstanding with more recent escalation. How did he get this far?????

November 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Caroline, Los Angeles

If they detest America why don't they leave?

November 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Donna Hagensen

There is no excuse for what that sick individual did at Fort Hood. I am tired of hearing about his mental state a.e. lack of assistance from the military. What about all the troops that served in Vietnam? They NEVER received any mental assistance for what they saw in combat. You never heard any of them killing their fellow comrades "just for the heck of it". Stop using PTSD as an excuse for murder!

November 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  47. lynn

so ok i keep hearing religion being brought up here for every soldier who does the same as he has or maybe just killed another soldier like the current marine who killed another would we say that had to do because of his religion????

November 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Sharon Schultz

What is "friendly fire?"

November 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Keisha

I am going to be completely honest here:

Look, How many soldiers are deployed or getting ready for deployment? One out of how many snapped? So many people are against war, and still deploy. This is NOT an excuse. I am with Nancy! This is no excuse for his rampage. There is more behind this.

November 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  50. Marc

I am a soilder stationed at FT. Hood and was wounded in Afghanistan earlier this year. I am appalled that they are saying he didn't want to deploy. He would have never seen combat. He would have been behind a big wall earning a big paycheck eating 3 meals a day with hot showers. Thats a lot more than what most of us get. This guy knew what he was doing. He premeditated this attack. As for the guys in NY. Come stand in front of main gate of FT. Hood and see what happens. God Bless our troops!!!

November 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm |