November 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/06/09

Tonight we have the latest developments on the attack at Fort Hood, Texas.  Plus, Anderson's one-on-one interview with Oprah Winfrey on her book club selection and more.

Want to know what else we're covering? <strong><a href="http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. A. Smith

Greetings Anderson, I love your show and thank you for emcing the Hero's yearly show, big thumbs up for you!

I'm really feeling Anderson that Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan MD, let his superiors know exactly what his percieved problems were and they ignored him and ignored any reports etc. he submitted.

A. Smith
    Oregon

November 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Emily

This story is going to get worse?

What Gen. McCaffrey has been describing does sound like it's going to be really awful! (the more that we find out!)

November 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  3. cally

i am glad someone is calling it what this is-- an act of terrorism. The gunman obviously went over to the dark side of extremist islam.

November 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Ron

It is sad we have to lose more young American Soldiers and on our soil! Then we keep Hasan alive in the hospital while our fallen Soldiers family grieve. What is there to learn from him? He is a radical Muslim and would not go into battle again his fellow Muslims. He in my book is a Terrorist and deserves a punishment worse than Death row. Unfortunately, we will prosecute him, sit him in a cell for the next 10 or 20 years until some pacifist panel thinks he has served enough time or has been rehabilitated. Tell this to the grieving families who have to bury their loved ones. Then I see the radical Muslims on the streets of NYC telling the people on the sidewalk to join their ranks. Why do allow this? I know, the AFLCIO would defend their rights. When will we ever learn?

November 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Whitney

May I ask why no one is addressing the fact that perhaps Hasan is an Al-Qaeda infiltrator into our Army?

November 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  6. Keisha

I do agree with you Julio. and I was told that since the shootings yesterday, every single car is being searched. This I wouldnt know, because I havent tried getting on post today. I will however tell you, that this isnt the first time there has been a shooting by a soldier on post.

November 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Edward

Generalizations are far to common in this day and age. The majority of Muslims in the United States and in the military are not radical.

November 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  8. Julius Cubangbang

I guess there was a breakdown in security of people going in and out of the base because he was able to slip in 2 firearms on that day. Eventhough its prohibited to carry firearms inside the base, they should have soldiers who have access to these mini-armory stationed in vital installations more like fire extinguishers.

November 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Gary

Erica just a thought, Pass it along that we as a country need heros from time to time. Sad thing that it has to be from tragedies. But like an earlier post , We as a country need to honor such acts of heroism. Lets all get together and honor these heroes. Kim first, Then the military heros.

November 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  10. Bianca

Those Islamic radicals who are praising what Hasan did and are recruiting Americans are ticking time bombs. I hope the FBI will not miss this opportunity to act and take a closer look at those guys.

November 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  11. Michelle

In the coming days I hope we hear more about the
    victims.I am with the general.It is starting to look like
    domestic terrorism by Hasan.

November 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Joan Collar

An awful thing. Not only did he slip thru the cracks, the system isn't providing adequate mental health care or assessments. They need help with this, but don't have the capacity to get professionals into needed positions quickly.

November 6, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Dave

All these red flags??? Who was responsible for this Major? How could his superiors overlook this?? Too many answers are needed and heads must roll>>>>

November 6, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Chaney, Louisiana

My heart is heavy along with every one else I dont know if there will ever be any difinitve answers as to why this happened.... we cant see inside the soul...... President Obama will be on base soon......

November 6, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  15. CW4 (Ret) Dan Negroni

Soldiers of the USA, just know that our Nation is behind you 110 percent. Politicians– this is no time to strategize reelection campaigns or play the blame game–just not right. Its time to stand behind the victims and their families and show compassion for each of them and show that we as a Nation do care. Truth is, 12 people are dead and 31 are wounded– no one can change that. Let us pray!

November 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  16. kc

Good evening:
    I was raised by moslem parents. And today I still follow my beliefs.
    But here is my point. Either I read the wrong Quran, or these stupid morons have the wrong ones. To this day I do not recall a single verse that God commands you to slain innocent people in order to acomplish his cause. Where do these busters come from? Where do they find all those verses in the Quran that instructs them to terrorize innocent people? In all honety I do not think I need to believe in an angry God.

November 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  17. Emily

There are so many RED flags!

Just why were they over looked?

November 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  18. Ambrosio T

Ft. Hood was my home while i was with the 4th I.D. Ive done a few S.R.P's and I remember the hurry up and wait tempo, I can even remember sitting in those benches feeling the day drag on. But I cant imagine being back in those centers and something like this happens. I still have friends at Ft Hood, and I would hate to see anything happen to them. He was an officer in the U.S Military, sworn to take care of the soldiers appointed under him. I as a vet i honestly find myself speachless and amazed that something this horrifying happened. God bless your my brothers and sisters.

November 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Cessy, Chicago IL

the radical muslims on the streets of New York, what are we doing allowing them to do these disturbing things? Are we doign anything about this?

November 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  20. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

These photos bring me a sadness. People who still had so much to live!

November 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  21. Mo from Cali.

Anderson, there are many people out there that are one moment away from snapping, I'm not quite sure what makes one snap and another one not to snap. I don't think this situration has anything to do with religion per say but about a man that had enough of a situation that should of known he needed help but desided not to get help but to react in a negative way. I have a few friends that suffer from mental illnesses, they all know what is right and wrong and know that all they need to do is to ask for help and they will get it but sometimes life just gets in the way of their judgment and they react. I'm not justifying doing stupid things. But, people need to know if they need help there is help out there. there are many support groups out there, just look up mental health support groups or mental illness suport groups in a searcg engine and you can see there are many of them. Only if he asked for help before doing what he did, but the fact is I don't think he wanted help, he wanted people to feel his pain. and that's very sad.

November 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Demetria

I can't believe that those people in NY condoning this man's actions at Ft. Hood. They have no right to be in this country, born here or not, they are promoting terrorism, and as such should be stripped of their rights and deported. My father fought along with many others for our freedom and that included from terroists in this country. Let these people go to their friends in Afganistan, Pakistan or elsewhere before we have more massicars here.
    My heartfelt sympathies go to those poor families who were victims of this travesty of our country.

November 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  23. Daniel Doyle

I am a resident of Temple, TX. Bell County, former dispatcher for the county. The local news media, Bell County, and Ft. Hood have an agreement to not release all of the Domestic Violence problems from military that plague Killeen, and it does not surprise me that this would happen. There is extreme gang related activity that I believe, is directly related to training tactics used by the army. Dr. Hassan being a Mental Health Expert working with our Heroes ???? What does this say about the type of mental health care our troops receive? Health care reform... I believe we need Government Reform as a whole. Also I heard reports that Dr. Hassan is from Virginia. Langely? This guy didn't slip through the cracks.... the cracks were deliberately made. Nothing in America is happening by accident... We have our representatives to blame. CIA, FBI,.... we may never know the truth.

November 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  24. John

To all those posting that Muslims should be treated differently than others in the U.S. military.. your generalizing. What if Hasan was a Methodist– you wouldn't all of a sudden decide no Methodists should serve in the army.

November 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  25. john lizzio

I think this a horrible tragity.This shouldnt have ever happened.There was so many signs,that higher ups ,pushed under the table.I hope all of yous that ignored all the signs and all the complaints about isahd hate yourselfs now.yous could have stoped this.I have a son who is a marine and was in iraq and his family worried so much about his safety in iraq.Now all of us who have kids,brothers,sisters,dads,moms,have to worry about there safety at there millatary base.I give all the familys and freinds of the victims,my deepiest sympthy.God bless you all and my god give you strenght in this very sad time.

November 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  26. matty

I love you oprah and anderson

November 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Karen, MN

Such sad news! I haven't been on the blog this week. It is so nice to have you back Anderson!

November 6, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Chris

@ Deanna I agree i believe that there are people that are messed up in the head. Regardless of religion. It just shows that when this is brought up by news stations and it is brought to attention of the public that is when it becomes an issue.

November 6, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  29. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Anderson

It's very troubling and scary. I felt so vulnerable.

November 6, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  30. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hello all. I am so tired of sad news and madness. But today I heard a pundit I respect a great deal say "The war has come home."

Regardless of how you feel about our foreign policy, we all have to agree that the casualties of any war can never be truly reflected in the statistics we gather about dead and wounded.

I think war tears at our national soul.

November 6, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  31. Carl Lawson

Hi Anderson, I love your show. But I have a question I would like to see asked of one of the officials at Ft. Hood.If this senseless tragedy happened as quickly as reported, and as many shots were fired as reported by Hasan, were there a lot of empty clips from the semi-automatic weapon he used? Semi-automatic hanguns usually hold 10-15 shells, and take quite some time to reload.So if he fired upwards of 100 shots as some have reported, there should have been quite a few empty clips laying around him or on his person.Knowing this might help clear up some of the 'friendly fire' questions in regards to some of the wounded.

November 6, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Russ

@Monica
    At Fort Riley if you live off post and want to bring your weapon on post for target shooting or hunting you must have them registered.

November 6, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"What if Hasan had been an F-16 pilot or had more powerful weapons at his disposal? Hasan sounds like a 'sleeper' to me."

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, You know the army ignored Hasan because he is a member of a protected minority.

November 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Emily

@Anderson,
    Nice to see you on the blog tonight! 😛

It's getting more and more disturbing, however, esp. what was already known!

btw,
    looking forward to this new book later! should be interesting! 🙂

November 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Julio

It is my opinion that more should be done to avoid illegal entry of weapons into military bases. The only people that get searched at the gates are the ones who do not have a military ID card. Any soldier could very easily smuggle all sorts of contraband onto post.

November 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Cristina, Canada

Good evening Anderson

My question is how on earth did a USA army hire a muslim psychiatrist for their soldiers who are battling in muslim countries?? Most of these soldiers are probably going through terrible ordeals coping with the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, which they aren't going to have necessarly favourable opinions on Muslims. Major Hasan already had a bad report, plus some posting through the net about suicidal acts, the signs were there. There should have had more investigation on him. Maybe he had ties with the Taliban in Afghanistan?? since he favored going there more than Iraq.
    My heart goes to the fallen soldiers families and the wounded.

November 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  37. ericacnn

Hi, everyone. Thanks for joining us on the blog tonight

November 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  38. David, Indiana

But I understand Major Hasan was awarded two service medals. And being a psychiatrist and physician is a very high level professional.

So, according to Ted Rowland's rept, he did have some trouble maybe because of his muslim faith, the tearing off of the bumper sticker?

@Isabel, but as a psychiatrist he was in the middle of the health system himself. Couldn't he or one of his colleagues have made an appointment for him?

November 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Shab

Anderson – I am a great fan of yours however this time I am greatly disappointed in your point. The fact that the shooter at Fort Hood was a muslim seems to me a side effect. When we have other crazy shooters – ie the one in Florida – there was no mention of him being a catholic or a Christian. As a law abiding muslim I am a little affronted that the media is making such a big deal about the shooter's religion. There are crazies in all religions – not only the muslims.

November 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  40. s alexander

Anderson,
    You are going to do a piece on radical muslims tonight....
    Please, it is not helpful during this sensitive time for muslims, to do a piece on radicals...rather focus on those muslims who are saddened by this terrible tragedy.

November 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Diana

I'm really trying to figure out how he was able to get promoted with all these red flags being thrown out?..

November 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Jessica

What everyone needs to understand about the carrying of weapons on post here at fort hood is this is our home!! My husband is currently stationed here and we live on post with our daughter. This is our home, we don't want people carrying weapons everywhere. To be here right now nobody knows how it feels unless you are here. To go anywhere in our home we have to show id and live in terror. I pray for the families of the fallen and wounded and just remember your army family is still here with you all!

November 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  43. reyna barrera

its not until something like this happens that all the signs are revealed. the signs on his internet postings if his things he may have said .

November 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  44. guy williams

really glad to see a true american stand up with out a second thought and do such an act of heroism glod bless kimberly. you're model for all.

November 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  45. Terea Mckee

These men and women signed up 2 protect us and the freedoms that we all have at this time and 2 think that they were taken down in the safest place they thought THEY could possibly be is just rediculous! My niece is in Iraq right now and to think that when the news broke yesterday I was actually relieved that she was not @ fort hood....is honestly just disturbing! I am so greatful 2 her and all that serve in the U.S. military.... God bless them and the USA!!

November 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  46. Amy

As an Army wife who lives with our four children on a military post, I am shocked that our world has imploded. It is difficult enough to stay strong through deployments and moves, but on post has always been our safety zone. Now, we have to worry about our lives being taken at home from one of our own. God help us all.

November 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    the more that we hear about Hasan, the more that it sounds like he is. If he was not, he sure did bring them out, in that clip that we saw of people out in the streets "trying to recruit Americans"....just sick!

November 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Ismail Farid

It is a tragedy at Fort Hood. I am a Muslim and an American. To all our non-Muslim brothers and sisters – These Muslims who cause such harm, are nothing but utter fundamentalists. It's not the belief of the rest of the other Muslims, we are actually peace loving folks. Our prayers and thoughts go out to the families of the victims.

Ismail Farid, Kansas.

November 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  49. Victor

As a Vietnam era Veteran I have a say so about the horrible massacre at Fort Hood. When is the US going to wake up to the fact the we are at war with Muslim radical fighting a religious war we are never going to win. Major Hassad was problaby an Sleeper Cell recruited by Alqueda at his Mosque to do exactly what he did. Was pre-planned

November 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Regina Billings

My heart goes out to the families of the slain and wounded. The shock is immeasurable. How could this happen? With 20/20 hindsight, we begin to see clearly that this man was a walking time bomb. Unfortunately, he hadn't said "We do things to please God. It's a challenge" to anyone who might pick up on how strange that comment was and report it. What the heck does it take to identify a red flag??? Are we a nation too populated to take responsibility for what we see and hear? This isn't the first time a trajedy of this magnitute has happend. Are we all asleep?

November 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |