November 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/05/09

Tonight, the latest developments on the shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas. 12 people killed and just moments ago we learned the suspected gunman is alive. There were earlier reports he was killed. Stay with us for live coverage through Midnight ET.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Billiie

I hope they cancel the deployment of those soldiers who were about to leave...I know they have a job to do but come on...post tramatic stress and they haven't even left yet.

November 5, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  2. Elizabeth

He did residency at Walter Reed (DC), followed by a 2 yr fellowship at the USUHS Bethesda (md) (perhaps to stay in the area and avoid A deployment), Ft Hood was his first duty station after completing that fellowship. So he would have owed much payback time both for his residency and his fellowship.

November 5, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  3. Umar

Hello Anderson,
    Being a Muslim-American in a post 9-11 world is tough enough and to turn on the television after coming home from class and seeing such a horric act deeply saddens me. What bothers me the most is that just because Hasan his a common Islamic sur name, speculations have risen that this was an act of Islamic extremism/terror but there was never any evidence of that. Would we have reacted the same way if John Smith commited the same act and tied it to another terrorist organization? I love this country and I have served in two foreign wars. Let us not also forget how these statements will affect the Muslim-Americans residing here and fighting for the same rights. Sorry had a lot to say ....

November 5, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  4. Huma

Anyone who feels the need to pick up a gun to shoot an unarmed human being is probably the purest form of being a coward. I pray that you all understand that such actions do not come from the teachings of Islam!! May God bless the families affected.

November 5, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  5. beth

i think this man took his personal feelings out on the very people that keep his country safe.no one has that right. i know that god will send his angels down to comfort all the innocent victims and their families. may the lord be with us all.

November 5, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  6. Diego

+Being a veteran of the army it makes me sad to know that our soliders feel that they have to get to this point. My prayers go out to all the familys that are suffering lost from his actions.

November 5, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  7. Lynn B

A few things don't sound right:

Why was his cousin ready with a statement to the media? If my cousin shot up 31 people I'd be sitting home in shock.

Which, by the way, I am doing anyway because my Stepson is stationed at Fort Hood. Thankfully he wasn't injured today.

Why did they tell us all day long that he was dead when he wasn't?

November 5, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  8. Jody Marks

Hi Anderson, after the gunman recovers from his wounds, will he immediately be arrested and taken into federal custody? Has a motive been determined and was he taking psych meds? Thanks, Jody in CA

November 5, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  9. Linda from AZ

Perhaps we can finally have an honest conversation about the mental health of people who have served us in these current wars. Perhaps we can actually begin to treat them in meaningful ways.

In the meantime, yes, let's pray for the victims and their families, and for peace.

November 5, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  10. Nick

What a sad day for America's Armed Forces. With all the difficulties we face overseas, it's heartbreaking to deal with a horrific event like this.

November 5, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  11. Brenda

My son just completed basic training 10 days ago and went to his new duty station in KS. Several of the soldiers from his company went to Ft. Hood. When he left, I thought of his base being one of the safest places on earth. It's incomprehensible to think that this could happen on a military base. A soldier turning on a soldier(s). It makes no sense. Im am sickened, horrified and so very sad for these family members who have lost loved ones or have wounded family. I saw first hand the comradery of fellow soldiers when I saw my son graduate from basic and I am just shocked that this could happen. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone at Ft Hood. God Bless all of you.

November 5, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  12. Ron from Connecticut

This is a sad situation to have happened on US soil. No soldier should take it upon themselves to comment to the media and should be reserved for authorized military personnel.

November 5, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  13. Maude

Hi Anderson Erica & Bloggers,

Thanks for manning the pumps so regularly with such class and style.

I think it is important to really know that mental health professionals have a very high rate of depression suicide PTSD-like stuff. Just cause he wasn't in whagt one would call a default "trauma" sitch does not exclude the alleged shooter from PTSD.

In the medical profession Psychiatrists have the highest suicide rate.

November 5, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  14. Jody

Perhaps soldiers should always carry a sidearm?

November 5, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  15. Joshua Jibben

Hi I am a Soldier at Ft Bragg Nc, I just think the US Miltary needs to take a second look at who they let in the miltary. I also think when you sign that Contact u should full fill it. He Know when he sign up one day he would be going to work. Now it times to look in to all the soldier back grounds and make sure we dont have a sleeper cell with in our miltary.

November 5, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  16. Mara - Windsor, ON, Canada

... & this guy was a psychiatrist? Did he not realize the trauma, hurt & agony he would be putting on those people's families? My deepest sympathy goes out to all the victims' families!

November 5, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  17. Marteen

There are no words this evening except for prayers and peace.

November 5, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  18. Balaji

Anderson

Is this a strange quirky irony that the alleged suspect of today's rampage at Ft Hood should have graduated from Virgina Tech. The same insitition where the other gruesome ramapage took place in the recent past.

My thoughs and prayers to the families of the fallen and wounded.

Balaji

November 5, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  19. Susan

Will the government be forthcoming with Hasan's blog posts if they include any Islamic supremecy ideology?

November 5, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  20. Lesley

At least the gunman is going to be held accountable for his actions. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims and I hope all the wounded recover.

November 5, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  21. Carolyn, Killeen/Fort Hood, TX

@ Dori

I couldn't said it better myself. Well put.

November 5, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  22. Michael

Having served over 20 years in the Military I as shocked that the Col. did not take action on the Maj. for making those statements, or did he? He should have reported that to his command instantly and at that point an investigation should have been opened on him.

November 5, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  23. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Anderson, has anyone on the base said why it took so long to confirm the shooter was alive?

November 5, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  24. Emily

@Megan,
    it's great that it's on for a second hour, yet the reason for it....
    glad you are able to stay! 🙂

November 5, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  25. Robert - San Diego, CA

My condolences to the families. As a military man, my family understands that there are risks with deployments, but you'd never expect to come under fire at home.

November 5, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  26. Jeremy Johns

I was a combat medic in the Army and deployed three times to Iraq. It's a shame that one of the last places my fellow brothers and sisters have to feel safe has been taken from them. I was part of many SRP's and this is something that NEVER crosses your mind. You think that everyone in the room is in the same shoes as you. I am sadened by todays events.

November 5, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  27. Carmen

All that are lost and wounded are in our prayers and thoughts.

November 5, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  28. Mike

This is a tradegy but let's not allow the actions of one seriously deranged man to result in an anti-muslum rage. There are sick minds in all religions.

November 5, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  29. R Rawson

Please look into what this guy did between high school and going to Va. Tech. Seems to be about a 5 year gap. Passport and travel during that time?

November 5, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  30. Brice Milton

I am a former mp who was stationed at Fort Hood just 2 months ago. My heart goes out to all who was affected by today's tragedy! May God continue to hold you all in his mighty hand. I'm proud to have served my country and I'm definately proud of the soldiers who reacted in this situation! I pray that justice be serve to the deserving! God Bless you all is my prayer!

November 5, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  31. Chuck

@Renee... up through the early 90's is all I can speak of. Fast track officers went through a modified form of basic for officers, but nothing like an enlisted man. However they were required to pass physical conditioning standards. Promotions for officers are different depending on their specialty and the demand for the specialty. JAG, was a fairly level playing field, promotions in line with the rest. Med Corp was and will always be fast tracked because of the shortages.

November 5, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  32. andrew

wow i just moved back to california from fort hood 2 days ago and just knowing this happen is a shocker and my dad is just now gonna be coming back from iraq those guys didnt even get to leave the states really upsetting

November 5, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  33. Abby

I represent an online forum of Army wives stationed around the world. To honor the victims of the tragedy at Ft. Hood, we are wearing yellow and black ribbons tomorrow, November 6, 2009. We would like to invite folks around the world to do the same!

November 5, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  34. ALDINA,US ARMY SOLDIER

None of our soldiers deserved any of this especially families,and in a way I am glad that he's alive,because dying would have been an easy way out of what he did.Now he will have to face families he took the loved ones away from and live with this ...I hope and pray that he gets to spend the rest of his life in jail...he deserves to rot in there.

November 5, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  35. Michelle Inman

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of those lost as well as wounded. This is such a tradedgy. Hope to get some answers soon as to how he could have done such a horiffic thing.

November 5, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  36. Major Mike

@Renee

Yes, those with professional Degree's are treated a little differently. As a JAG (military attorney), they don't have to do the regular training that most do.

November 5, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  37. Lori

I can understand why a doctor would not want to go to war. It sounds like he needed someone to talk to. Are there enough opportunities for support prior to deployment? What is the protocol for getting support?

November 5, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  38. karen denning

what a sad day for our military, anderson just want to say you're the best!!!!!

November 5, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  39. Cassidy

Being the wife of a soldier who was THERE in the BUILDING I think it's ridiculous how it's said he was posting about suicide bombings on the internet yet no one did anything? I support the soldiers and the president but my husband's been deployed 5 times and never been a coward like this man was about deploying!!

November 5, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  40. Sara-Iowa

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone at Ft Hood. Hooah!. You will never be forgotten.

November 5, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  41. Denise

How and where was Major Hasan educated and who paid for it?
    Did he go to school on GI ?
    Thanks

November 5, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Isabel Siaba, Brazil and Jane....
    Good night my friends get rest both of you...... See you tomorrow night.

November 5, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  43. Dori

Because of the sadness of today, we as American's have the opportunity to make positive change by todays events.
    First, say hi to your Muslim neighbor. We are above that of terrorist that kill innocent because they despise a few.
    2nd DONATE BLOOD FOR FT HOOD! Set a record in fact Texas has oil tankers
    3rd Tell a Vet thanks tomorrow. Then again on another day. We should never take their gift of protection lightly.

November 5, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  44. Emily

@ BettyAnn,
    It sounds like there were plenty of RED flags!
    This is scary that they were not found out, or over looked(?)!

November 5, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  45. deb

Anderson. There has been many questions but no answers about those that have been injured. Surely there is some reports on them.

November 5, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton,Ohio

Why did Hasan get a poor performance evaluation on his job?

November 5, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  47. Susan

The military better come up with a better program of allowing people to anonymously get treatment for their stress so they don't feel that they are jepordizing their entire career.

November 5, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  48. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

OH, with statements like those on his blog, why are any of you doubting that this is domestic terrorism?

November 5, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  49. Carolyn, Killeen/Fort Hood, TX

Ed is so right. Those who have never been or don't know much about the area.... Fort Hood is HUGE. It's it's own city basically.

November 5, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  50. Mary-Anne in Toronto

My condolences to the family....Ft. Hood has shone the light on many problems today!

November 5, 2009 at 11:08 pm |