November 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/05/09

Tonight, the latest developments on the shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas. 12 people killed and just moments ago we learned the suspected gunman is alive. There were earlier reports he was killed. Stay with us for live coverage through Midnight ET.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Caroline, Los Angeles

@Robin, Pueblo CO-–I was wondering that too. He had a poor rating plus it was becoming common knowledge that he didn't want to be there, and yet he kept his job.

Employees can't do that in many jobs, but I guess in the military they can?

November 5, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  2. thelma

Dr hasan comments on suicide are wrong. If a person throws himself on a grenade to save someone in immediate harms way is a hero.
    A person who kills himself in order to kill others regardles of there age,gender or political feelings is a coward.

November 5, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  3. nia

I think this is a prime example of the perfect storm. Major harrassment, internal conflict and a fear of deploying. No one had to die, we must do better. GOD bless the US military

November 5, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Emily

@Isabel,
    I agree with you re, your statement about blood.

I hope that they get all that they need!
    It truly is a life saver! 🙂

November 5, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  5. Susan

One of the BEST treatments for PTSD is EMDR. Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocession. Our friend did this for another friend and he said the transformation was remarkable. It eliminated 90% of his PTSD – and he had been a guard at the Bagdad airport at the beginning of the war and was under extreme duress.

November 5, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Michelle

This will take months for the authorities to figure this out.

November 5, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Taryn

This is really crazy i come from a military family this hits to close to home. Is it not enough that We are at WAR but we have to turn on each other at home.I pray for the families and ever one at Ft. Hood.

November 5, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  8. Debra V. San Antonio, Tx.

First of all, my prayers go out to all of the soldiers and families affected by this horrible tragedy.

Second, CNN reported earlier this evening that Major Hasan had received an overall "poor" performance review rating...how can the Army promote someone with a low rating? Has the Army lowered it's standards?

November 5, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  9. Angel

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the Soldiers of Fort Hood. I know I was worried about my soldier, but was relieved just a few minutes ago when I got my phone call. I Hope those who are injured make a speedy recovery.

November 5, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  10. Tim

This is the second horricffic action that happened this week Clevlend , Ft.Hood, both very sick . Mental health is so over looked today that you don't know if you should look at the relegion , race motive or are they just sick.

November 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. David, Indiana

@Isabel, yes it makes me realize how much we should appreciate the good days that come our way.

I think Heidi Kraft's pt about vicarious trauma is a possible component of this situation that shld be looked into. Good to hear her knowledge and expertise on mental health matters in the military. The push to address the mental health needs of troops and caregivers indicates a very high level of overall need.

How do you untangled the threads of possible motivations?

November 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Malou

What were the warning sign, if any?

November 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily.
    You're welcome.

November 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  14. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Tragic news today for our country. I am hoping it was not a terroristic plot. Praying the war in any sense will subside.
    War and peace is in all of us. The one which prevails is the one you feed. Peace~☮!!

November 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  15. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Wild, they can't even relax on their own base anymore!

November 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Susan

Could this be a terrorist act if he was inspired by al-queda and is shown to have been reading terrorist mateials?

November 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Bradley

No doubt, a domestic terrorist! Is it possible this guy is connected to some sort of sleeper cell? No soldier should ever attack their own! My thoughts and prayers go out to the soldiers and their families.

November 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Robin, Pueblo CO

Why wasn't Hasan discharged after his "poor" performance review at Walter Reed???

November 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  19. Carolyn, Killeen/Fort Hood, TX

@kris s.
    go to the scott & white memorial hospital website. you should be able to google it. it's in temple, tx about 20 minutes away from killeen/fort hood. they had a huge turnout of donors, but they should be able to tell you more about donating. hope that helps.

November 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Dale in Canada

I can;t believe they didn't investigate him when he was making the remarks against your country. What were the authorities thinking.

November 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Pam - San Diego, CA

Will this guy be tried by the military courts? Does the military courts believe in the death penality? Or would he get life in military jail?

November 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Emily

It's great to hear the way that the other soldiers were coming to the wounded rescue!'
    (tearing their uniforms to make pressure bandages, etc).

November 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton,Ohio

This may not be tecnically considered a hate crime, but for all intents and purposes it was.

November 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Yes, He (Major Hasan) is alive also, hospitalized now.

November 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Val

What a horrible thing to happen. My thoughts and prayers are with all of the families who lost loved ones today as well as all of the soldiers affected by this tradegy. My family was blessed today that my niece, Brittany, whos home base is Ft. Hood, is currently in Iraq. What is wrong with that picture?

God bless.

November 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Darlene

Heartfelt condolences from Canada. Fort Hood is in our prayers.

November 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  27. Marcy

@ Bloggers

AGAIN, you do not have to be DEPLOYED to have signs of PTSD!!!!! or to have PTSD!!!!

November 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  28. Susan

While the majority of us have had dark thoughts about hurting someone – it has usually been along the line of punching someone in the nose – but it is fantasy – and goes no further. This evil man fantasized, and plotted and planned and then carried out a mass murder of innocents.

What made him become EVIL? Even harassment does not make people evil, and there is no evidence that he was harassed by anyone at Ft. Hood, nor by any of the people he killed.

November 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  29. Kris Soukup

How do I go about giving blood for these people? I'm AB+

Thanks

November 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  30. kelly_austin tx

I truely hope that this tragedy was brought on by his own sick mental state and has nothing to do with his religion. We, as a country, have made huge steps towards religious tolerance and would hate for this to create a landslide backwards. The families and victims are in my thoughts and prayers.

November 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  31. audrey

so when his cousin gives information, issues statements is he doing that a gratis?

November 5, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Lori

It sounds like he did not get the help that he needed.

November 5, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  33. Barbara

"...waive his right to silence"...?!! Are you kidding????? This guy just killed 12 people, wounded 31, and we need to worry about HIS right to silence??? I don't care what his last name is....that is just wrong.

November 5, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  34. Michelle

God bless the people at Ft Hood and their families.
    This is really tragic.

November 5, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  35. Russ

@Chuck
    Still don't think it would have been that hard to do. As I stated in a recent post my last deployment we had five soldiers shot by a insurgent and he got away. This guy was at a check point in the open and the soldiers were armed to the teeth. Comparing that to this, this would have been a cake walk. Thank you for your service I am about to retire next year after 25 years, finally had enough.

November 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Samuel Morris

I find it quite interesting that Maj. Hasan's relative would say that he was being harassed by others in the Army. With him being an officer any enlisted person or lower ranking officer could have been immediately disciplined under UCMJ (uniform code of military justice). The only reason it would have been necessary for him to seek legal help would be to investigate officers of a superior rank than his. I am a retired soldier who has served for 20 years in the Army.

November 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  37. audrey

another blow to virgina tech

November 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  38. Bryan

I was stationed at Ft. Hood from 2002 through 2007 as a military policeman. I talked with a friend today on Ft. Hood before the attack happened. I'm glad he's safe. My heart sinks thinking of the soldiers killed and wounded today by a fellow soldier.

November 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Jackie

May God sustain and comfort the brave wounded and fallen Army personnel at Ft. Hood and their families.

As to this Hasan: I certainly hope that the soft hearted, excuse everything because he had a tough life and faced name calling folks – don't forget that a declared principal of the Muslim Koran is to "kill the infidels" and to destroy America. I can only hope that the charge of treason will be included in the long list of charges against Hasan.

This is an act of terrorism against America from within.

The Very Proud Wife of a Retired Army LTC!

November 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  40. Mike

If convicted, Maj Hasan should be charged with terrorism, treason, and violating medical ethics. A feeble coward by any measure. -His fellow servicemember

November 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  41. L. C. Johnson, Waukesha, WI

With this situation taking place at Fort Hood today it makes me wonder what kind of help if any is given to our soldiers that are responsible for taking care of our soldiers. What could have happened to make this American born, United States Army Officer, a Licensed Psychiatrist, turn into a domestic enemy?

November 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  42. Captain Infantry 101st ABN

I agree one guy can't represent the whole group. If this guy felt he was being discriminated against the Army provides assistance for that. He should of used it! Equal oppurtunity is not hard to inact especially as a Major. Instead he used Islamic extremism and killed our poor unarmed Soldiers.

November 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  43. Susan

A soldier in our class here outside of Fort Dix in New Jersey today said he had been stationed at Fort Bragg, and that the soldiers there were allowed to carry weapons pretty much at will.

November 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Emily

@ Megan,
    Thanks for that update! 🙂
    that is new info to me!
    Glad to hear that they have them in custody!

November 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  45. Sandra Gosnell

This is very upsetting. Looks like someone let him slip through their fingers. If he was a person of interest six months ago, why didn't they investigate him. Maybe this could have been avoided.

Something to think about.

My prayers are with the families

November 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  46. SGT

To Renne. I undersstand that there are programs. Every soldier doesnt need a program, they need time, its all on the command. They dont have the proper communication skills needed to be in command. We need to take a look at the entire military. This is why we dont need to be in Afgan. or Iraq. We have enough problems on the home front.

November 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Melissa

Anderson, my husband was at the processing center a few hours before the shooting... he stated that the shooter looks just like the guy who was giving the briefings.. Its a scary thing to think that could have been my husband shot died.

November 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  48. Chuck

@ russ.... yes I have been through those readiness gatherings, first one back in 1970 VietNam, second desert storm.. so yes I know how it is/was. But I cant see him getting that many rounds off with out being taken out by mass and pummeled befor the first responders arrived.

November 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  49. A Campbell

I'm glad the shooter is alive so he can be questioned. It will be interesting to look into his worldview to see why he "cracked." I'm assuming he objected to the wars we're waging in his home region.

November 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  50. spc vargas robert

This is a scary thought that we (the soldiers fighting over seas) cann't be safe in our own country, our home . All becouse one "officer" couldn't take advantage of the support system that the military offers to help those with mental issues. We are forced to go to all these pre and post deployment briefs addressing this exact issue. It makes no sense to me and know I have to fear for the saftey of my family, friends, and fellow soldiers on the very post I call home.

November 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |