November 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/05/09

Tonight, the latest developments on the shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas. 12 people killed and just moments ago we learned the suspected gunman is alive. There were earlier reports he was killed. Stay with us for live coverage through Midnight ET.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. audrey

I feel like this event will totally spark an even stronger bias against muslims. it's terrible how the fear isn't getting closer to going away

November 5, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  2. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I hope they get the blood needed!

Donating blood is an act of love! 🙂

November 5, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Jeff

AC's Yale lawyer is WRONG ! in the military it's guilty till proven innocent ! my prayers are with my US Military !!!

November 5, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  4. KEVIN MURTHA

My take of the moment. As a Major shrink the stories he heard. Who can say was it the glory of the kill or the despair of the death that drove his religious conflict. He had to know. At least he kept his action in house.

November 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

And this is the way he repay the military!

November 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Marie, Taylors,SC

Considering his poor performance rating in regards to his job why was he allowed at Ft.Hood?With all our troops are going through they have this on top of it.our prayers & our thanks to our brave men & women at Ft.Hood.

November 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Carolyn, Killeen/Fort Hood, TX

This was a horrible incident. Everyone here in the Central Texas area is affected in one way or another. Our hearts go out to those who are wounded and their loved ones, as well as the families of those who have passed away. :[

November 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  8. Robert

With him being in the millitary he has diffrent rights than civilian maranda rights.

November 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  9. Henya CA,

I hate to stereo type I believe he intented to kill as many he could, in 2003 similar thing happen in a base in Iraq if you all remember,
    I'm glad that he survived now he can rot in jail,
    My heart goes out to all the Soldiers and there family’s

November 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  10. Ken in NC

I hope the people of our nation will realize this action today was one man and not a group of people. We do not need to take out our anger on a group of people that were not connected to this man. Our soldiers fight for us to be and remain a free nation of many races and religions.

November 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  11. Russ

@Gail
    Not an Obama fan but if he went down there he would be more of a distraction than help. Everyone would have to divert people from security of the people to his security this is why. I am sure he wants to go but he is smart enough to know it is not a good time.

November 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Lee

What I cannot comprehend nor understand is if this Major was on the radar screen of the FBI MONTHS ago, why wasn't he placed on Administrative Leave? Seems like someone in the Government dropped the ball on this and this could have been prevented.

November 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, North Royalton,Ohio

Harassment is no excuse for murder.

November 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  14. Lori

There were no warning signs?

November 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Caroline, Los Angeles

@Gail-Maybe Obama will go later after the families have a chance to cope with what they are going through.

November 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Emily

@Devna AC360°,
    Major Hasan is alive?!
    Is that the MD that they have been talking about?

Things are changing here minute by minute!

November 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Nancy Kaufmann

@claude - no metal detectors though?

November 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  18. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Claude, Spring TX

Thank you very much for sharing information on weapons control on military bases.

November 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Susan

It is inappropriate to simple suggest that this is PTSD related because millions around the world have had PTSD – yet this man choose to be MASS murderer. He obviously found a way to justify this completely EVIL act, an EVIL solution to dealing with his anxiety.

November 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Michael

@Chuck. Great post! Lol

November 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Barry McBride

Sorry Fort hood

November 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  22. Larry

Anderson, there is not a Soldier alive that would pick on an officer. Soldiers understand that if they disrespect any officer they will be delt with. I am a Sergeant First Class in the Army and I am not buying the claim he was picked on by fellow Soldiers.

November 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  23. Robert

We dont yet know why he did it. As soon as we find out the army should court martial him for treason and put him infront of a fireing squad.

November 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Sharon Hastings

Thank you CNN for already uncovering important information indicating great cause for concern about Major Hasan. I hope you find out just how long he has been on various people's radar. Why wasn't this taken more seriously? I bet a serious investigation uncovers some sad information about how this tragedy might have been avoided.

November 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  25. Jaques

First I would like to extend my prayers to all affected by todays tragedy, may God (or who ever you pray too) be with you and help you overcome. Next I would like to give my opinion on the misinformation that was given by Gen. Cone, if he was aware that the shooter was still alive and intentionally mislead us all, I understand and commend him. I live less than 5 miles where this occurred and can with confidence say that if we would have had the knowledge that this man was alive, Scott & White and Metroplex hospital would have needed all the security in Texas to protect him. So why run the risk of highly emotionally charged people trying to overrun the hospitals injuring or killing more innocent people to avenge fallen and wounded friends and family.

November 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  26. Claire

This is sad and such a tragedy. It is hard to imagine that this man got
    off at least 43 shots all by himself (?!). Even if the other soldiers were not armed it seems they would have taken him down........it almost does not add....unbelievably sad. God Belss those poor souls that died.

November 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  27. Major Mike

What a coward!!! This is a calculated act. A physician is a non-combatant and under Geneva Convention Rule is not allowed to fight. You have a man that has taken the governments money for educational purposes (he's required to payback time) and then all of a sudden, he objects to serving, all after giving an oath (both military and hipacratic). I hope he is prosecuted under the UCMJ, so he will not have the right to remain silent, he can be ordered to answer questions. This is a deliberate act against the very people who he was supposed to help.

November 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  28. scot

It dose not suprise me the He was being harrased. this is common place more so with combat arms units

November 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  29. Bob

will this elicit racial profiling of memberfs of the military?

November 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Caroline, Los Angeles

@ Dr. David Deopere-Thank you for that. We don't know why he did this and nothing he can say can excuse him, but it's hard to be a part of the military during war time. Some people snap.

November 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    I think 3rd custody already released but only 2 custody right now in jail.

November 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

Everyone that does crazy things are not crazy and if he were a psychiatrist I am sure he could have easily passed any mental evaluation with flying colors

November 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Don, WA

Sad news...the base is a haven at home before going across..one that military looks forward to going back to after 6 months or so over seas – yuh really start to miss home soil when deployed...bad thing to hear for military on deployment right now, as well as here, as well as everyone everywhere.

November 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  34. Scott Whatley

If the troops were armed on base this nut would have gotten off one round then he would have been turned off like a light and it would have been over. God bless all our troops.

November 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  35. Barry McBride

I am a canadian i would just like to pass my Heartfely greif to the men and women of fort bragg and to the families of the wounded and the dead god bless you all.

November 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  36. John

I would like to know why the FBI was watching this Major Hasan, and with all of the threats he made in blogs, and objecting to going to Iraq. This is just to weird. I also don't know why so many people are upset when anyone points toward this could be a terrorist act by a radical muslim. I just don't get it anymore. Apparently this Major was given a poor performance rating. How many of our soldiers have to die because we are to sensitive others feeling of profiling.

November 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  37. Emily

@ Bloggers,
    those internet postings, who posted them, and just when did the military find out about them?

(sorry, I'm late here today, and it's the 1st time that I've heard this!)

November 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  38. Gail - St. Cloud, FL

Why is Obama still in D.C. and not @ Ft. Hood where he needs 2 b? My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the deceased and wounded.

November 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  39. Captain Infantry 101st ABN

Our Army is not the most powerful in the world because of incidents like this. Because of the need for more troops our leaders have become more concerned with "quanity over quality." This has opened the flood gates for people who should not be in. Brand new Privates and Officers are consistently coming fresh out of basic training undisciplined and with serious problems because the Army will take anyone now. We are in serious trouble because this is causing all of the good Soldiers and leaders to get out.

November 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Luis Rodriguez Jr.

Hello:

Any talk or evidence of him having ever served in Guantánamo?

Rgds

November 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Jo Hile

in response to SGT. IT is tragic that soldiers cannot express their grievance. The army does state that they offer the opportunity, but it is so hard for a soldier to take because they will face scrutiny and in direct reparcutions if they do not toe the line. That in no way excuses this horrid act, but the mental welfare of returning soldiers and the mental state of re-deploying soldiers NEEDS to be a priority, and right no its not.

November 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  42. SandyS

I have been watching CNN this evening and your reporting is so very precise and clear once AC 360 came on. As a retired military spouse, we always watch your show for the truth about what is happening.

November 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Chuck

I retired after nearly 22 years active duty, every Army Medical type that went through weapons qualification just barely made it as it is not their area of expertise. So where did he acquire his expertise to beable to take out 12 and wound 31? The two rooms must have been wall to wall uniforms, but even then, the first few shots and everyone would be going for cover. Moving targets, just dont see him being able to pull this off with the training he would have gotten from the Army.

November 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Caroline, Los Angeles

I hope this crime doesn't set the crazies off in any kind of revenge killings against those they think are Muslim. One crazy person cannot represent a whole group.

November 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  45. Michael

@Shawn Hendricks, hunting is absolutely not permitted. I was stationed there for many years. They had to be his weapons as he wouldn't have had access to govt. weapons for simple Soldier Readiness Processing. He must have snuck the weapons in.

November 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  46. mitch Stringer

The PFC's that were at the site just got breifed.They were transporting weapons for training, to another building. PFC's stated if the had ammo they could have stopped the and I quote " Attack " . We were trained for this. They believe this was a planned attack, the feel bad because the took an oath to defend all of us from theats forein & domestic.
    These guys just got back from a tour. The PFC's stated defintly a planed deal

November 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  47. vanessa fort hood texas

i am soo saddend that this happend where i actually live about half a mile from where my village is. the lockdown is lifted and there are plenty of cars on the main road behind me trying to either get off post or somewhere else they have been there since the lockdown was lifted. which was about 630 it is 930 now... my prayers are with the families of the wounded and fallen..

November 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Russ

@Chuck
    If you have ever been in one of the readiness centers you would clearly understand how hit could hit so many people. We are packed there like sardines at times. A novice shooter could have done it.

November 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Teresa

@Mike I was not saying that all muslims are terrorist, I was stating the opposite. I was saying it was sad that people are blanketing all muslims as terrorist based on their religion. Fact is all religions have extremist/terrorist. Right now the major issue is muslim extremist. But, that is the key word EXTREMIST. I know many muslims that are anything but extremist, they are beautiful people!

November 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  50. SGT

About his rank. You dont have to accomplish much to receive the MAJ rank, as long as you dont get in trouble, or do any thing stupid, its automatic. This guy couldve a dirt bag, and still made MAJ.

November 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |