November 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/05/09

Tonight, the latest developments on the shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas. 12 people killed and just moments ago we learned the suspected gunman is alive. There were earlier reports he was killed. Stay with us for live coverage through Midnight ET.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Peggy, NC

We know that there were more soldiers and personnel in the room where this terrible incident occurred than the 12 killed and 31 injured... but do we know how many others were in the room who were not hurt... My heart goes out to all of them as well as the wounded and killed and their families.

2. Toni

We are in denial to think by fighting in Afganistan and Iraq we will keep "THEM" there and not here. We need to GET OUT and put the resources into the United States of America. My heart goes out to those families who have lost loved ones and who are injured. Our soldiers don't deserve this. Who is responsible for promoting this so called American earlier this year?

3. Frank

@ susan: Some people carry weapons as a part of their duty. Military police, etc.

4. Emily

@SSG Weltsch,
    I hope that you know that everyone has you ALL in our thoughts & that you are all safe!

Thanks for all that yous' are doing for us there!

RIP to all those who lost their lives today! @>–

So tragic! 🙁

5. Jarrett Wold

The thing that frightens me about this is how quickly people looked at this guy's last name, and started talking about how he was a "muslim terrorist". That is a dangerous thing.

6. Russ

@Michael
    My last deployment to Iraq a insurgent shot 5 soldiers with a pistol and got away. The idea of an ambush is surprise and when something like that happens the first thing that goes through your mind is what in the world is happening. In just the few seconds it takes to get your bearings the damage will have already been done, which is the case in the cowardly ambush at FT Hood.

7. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hasan has a nice, gentle looking face. His picture doesn't go with this event at all.

8. Barbara in Boston

Vivene, Marcello and Jessica - thanks for your posts and thank heavens you're safe.

9. Jo

So we went from 2 shooters to three, to one???

10. Shawn Hendricks - Fairplay, MD

Everyone working on a military installation should have the MPs, Provost Marshall or Military Intelligence on speed dial. It takes moments to program a phone. Even without the crazy factor, anyone working on post can be considered a legitimate military target by our nation's enemies.

11. Jessica, Fort Hood, TX

As far as weapons on base. I understand that they can have personal weapons but not to carry them! Im not sure about an officer. I dont know if they can carry or not! my question is did the army know if his weapons were registered on base?

12. Renee

To Respond to SGT there are many programs offered here at Ft.Hood much more then any other post so people always want to say the Army needs to do this and that and they doing it here at Ft.Hood

13. Devna AC360°

Thank you for joining us on the live blog tonight! Incredible story tonight – our thoughts with all those at Ft. Hood.

14. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I really like when you use google earth ... gives us a great idea of space!

15. Pam

What was a man that 6 months ago, posted about terrist acts, and we are saying there is no evidence this was terrorism? And what was he doing on a large base that deployes our millitary.

16. joshua

So Hasan is alive he didn't die? i hope in the month's to come they pay him back for this horrible deed he has done. And feel's the pain and suffering the people of FT. Hood is going through.

November 5, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  17. Kisha

This Iraq/Afghanistan situation continues to stretch us thin and keep us vulnerable! God Bless America!

November 5, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  18. Claire

My fiance was at Fort 2 months ago. We still have friends who are there. I really hope they are ok.

November 5, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Joy

Its because he is an MD that the impact will be that much stronger. I am glad he is alive so his brains can be picked over. As a doctor he was supposed to spot the signs in others and help them post-trauma, what insight can he offer now from the 'other' side?

November 5, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  20. Coleman Wheeler

I can't believe that Dr. Phil and "professional experts' are "so surprised" that violence can occur on a U.S. Army base where killing is talked and walked.

It happened at Columbine where killing is not even taught.

From my perspective, there's no surprise here.

The U.S. continues to be the world's most homicidal nation in the world.

November 5, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  21. Mrs. Thomas

This is too close to home, I stay in Waco, Tx and to know he was Islamic and done a tragic thing like that makes me afraid of most Islamic people around here who may feel the same way Major Nidal Hasan feels about the war. I'm pretty sure he must have had family or some relatives around where the war is happening at. Makes me wonder if this is the last shooting to happen?

November 5, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Luz

So sad my son is stationed at Fort Hood. We are in PA and I couldn't stand not knowing if he was OK. I thank God he is fine! I pray for all
    the families of the soldiers wounded or killed.

November 5, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  23. Lubna

Let's not jump into conclusions by just the Islamic last name. I'm a Muslim, wife of an Air Force Lt. Col who just got back from a deployment. I know what price our soldiers have to pay for this war.
    Media can play a positive role in this tragedy by not jumping into conclusions about the unclear motives of the alegged shooter.

November 5, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Jasmine Thibodeaux

My husband is a soldier in the US Army & we left Ft Hood about 3 weeks ago & relocated to Ft Knox. He just also recently returned from Afghanistan. I am so shocked & disturbed that a fellow soldier, let alone someone that a soldier would turn to for help would do such a thing. My husband was just at the Processing Center & actually worked across the street. I didnt want to come to Ft Knox at all because I loved being at Ft Hood, but I believe God does everything for a reason. I just pray for each & every family & hope they get the help they need.

November 5, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Stanley King

First of all, my sincere condolences to all at Fort Hood. Such a tragedy aboard a military base is unfathomable.

This is getting Curioser and Curioser.

– First the shooter was killed; now he is alive and well

– First the shooter was killed by policeman who was himself killed; what's the status of the policeman? Is he alive?

– 9 fatalities and 31 wounded = two handguns - something wrong with this math.

– Semi-automatic??? Is that pistols or rifles?

November 5, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  26. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I read that people don't carry weapons in the Fort. How did the gunman manage to pass unnoticed by this scheme?

November 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Renee

Where's Peter Bergen tonight? What is Pakistan and the Middle East saying about all this? Humm...I should start to take Arabic classes. It seems like a difficult language to read.

November 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  28. sharon

His cousin said he joined the army out of high school. How has he avoided deployment and what has he done for 20 yrs at taxpayer expense? Something is wrong with this picture . How long does it take to become a psychiatrist?

November 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Shannon- from Eugene Oregon!

My heart goes out to each one of the family's that lost a loved one, and to the one who are fighting for their life's! All will be in my prayer every night till the end of time! I have a son in The Army! Who right now is on his way home from Iraq!! An infantry man! I think what is truly heart breaking is that.. one of our on did this!!! WHY???
    I ask god to please hold these Family very tight in your hands! They really need your help to get through this! I would give any thing to help these family's get through this! We are taught to be a family in the Army!

November 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  30. Eleanor

What a terrible day. Another one we'll never forget. I really do have to ponder that maybe his deployment later this month triggered this as he is so opposed to these wars. If he indeed said it's wrong to have Muslims fighting and possibly killing Muslims, could this possibly be the answers, as he would be doing this himself?

November 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  31. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@starr, when this first happened all the major MSM outlets were "'assuming' it was PTSD. Yet this guy hasn't even been in combat or deployed yet. How can it be PTSD? What is the most likely cause? Terrorism is the obvious #1 candidate. Yes it has to be proven, but each passing hour is showing it more and more likely. Don't be so PC.

November 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  32. Myra

First thought, impression on this: A psychiatrist, working with returning soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan, with a background of trauma studies, snaps, due to Secondary Post traumatic Stress Disorder, or Compassion Fatigue.

November 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Maxine

Horrible! When is this madness going to stop? My condolences to the families of the deceased.

November 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ David, Indiana

Yeah... Definitely a horrifying and shocking day and I am also surprised to learn that Major Hasan is alive.

November 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Jo Hile

This is so tragic. My husband was stationed on Fort Hood until Jan '08. We still have many close civilian and Soldier friends in the area. Cell phones were down for hours making it especially hard to reach loved ones. Luckily all i know are safe.
    Th truth of the matter is that unless soldiers seek help or show extreme signs of deployment related stress that they do not get help or evaluation. Many of the men and women are lucky to get their one year stabilization and they are deployed again, and again with out evaluation unless they are noticeably stressed.

November 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Roderick

I was stationed at Ft. Hood when I was on active duty. It was my best tour of duty, I love Ft. Hood, the Ft. Hood and the soldiers and leadership there are very close knit and support each other. They'll get through this, my heart goes out to them. What bout the FBI background check? Every commissioned officer had to undergo an FBI background check like I did before we are commissioned, did the FBI drop the ball on their check? How can we help these families through legitimate organizations? USO? Red Cross? Let us know on the air.

November 5, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  37. Pam - San Diego, CA

@Frank – Sorry Frank I was going by what the t.v. said. I believe you!

November 5, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  38. Faye

We are praying for the families of solders at FT.Hood.we have family there. Thank God they are safe.

November 5, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Renee

This happened all right down the street from our home,on post we can have guns in our homes

November 5, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Emily

Q: What about the 3rd person that was in custody?
    The last that I heard there was a 3rd person in custody and the other 2 were let go?

November 5, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ryan Chacon
    Nope. I don't think they have no surveillance cameras this area.

November 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  42. Tiffany

We were stationed at Fort Hood for over a year, just left 3 weeks ago. On post was the only place we really did feel safe and now that we're at Fort Knox, I dont even feel safe here. It hits home, hard. Please keep all those at Fort Hood in your prayers. Its awful and so unfair that an Army Officer could do something like that simply because he didnt want to be deployed. My husband was only out of training for 2 months before being deployed to Afghanistan. Our Army is voluntary and the wars are nothing new. This "Major" should have known the risks of what he was getting himself into.

November 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Jim

Someone on cnn said they could not understand why they let the news wait over 5 hrs after saying the shooter was dead then saying he is alive.
    Would that not be be one sure way to see if he was a a terriost by checking the chatter and other items during this time period .

November 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  44. R.D.

6yr obligation

November 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  45. Bill

This has all the earmarks of terrorism. And now they found what he was blogging about, it look's like he acted out on it.

November 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  46. SGT

Condolences to the family of the victims. Though this may not be from PTSD, there are many soldiers suffering from it. There was another shooting incident on Hood a few days ago, but I guess they kept that one to them selves. The soldiers go to the command and the command doesn’t always provide them with the right words. They aren't trained as they should be to deal with this type of problem. The military needs to be exposed!!! We have problems and were told to just deal with it. One of the Generals said earlier that the soldiers don’t complain; who would we complain to? What can we say to stop from being deployed.

November 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Rikki, Texas

I honestly was relieved to find out he was alive. I think we'll get more answers this way. And he doesn't get to go out the way he planned, now he will suffer like the families affected by his actions today. I like it.

November 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Robert

This should make people stop and think about what the millitary goes through. If a major could have a mental breakdown like this from a first deployment, think about the people who have been through 2, 3, or even 4.

November 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  49. Gary

If the FBI noticed he was doing all this internet "suicide bombing" talk 6 months ago, why was he allowed to continue to be a US Soldier? Are you kidding me?
    That sure sounds like terrorist activity and evidence to me!
    Our superiors need to open their eyes, and realize how serious this has become.
    It's ridiculous that "OUR" people have to suffer in such a way.
    We are now letting terrorists live amongst us.
    This is sad, sad for everyone.

November 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Joseph

I am a Sergeant First Class (retired) all afternoon i have heard about him being "teased" at work. So since he was teased, its ok to kill poeple, than are we saying kids in school that get bullied can respond with gunfire?

November 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |