November 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/05/09

Tonight, the latest developments on the shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas. 12 people killed and just moments ago we learned the suspected gunman is alive. There were earlier reports he was killed. Stay with us for live coverage through Midnight ET.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Barbara in Boston

@ Wanda - I think it's too early to speculate on his motives, but there is a condition caled vicarious tramatization that can afflict caregivers and/or relatives of persons iwth PTSD. In fact, there is a lot of research showing that 2nd and even 3rd generation descendants of Holocaust survivors have vicarious PTSD.

2. Monica

P.S. I am praying for the victims and their loved ones. God bless ALL members of our military. I GREATLY appreciate the sacrifices you make to keep me, my children, and my grandchildren safe. I'm am profoundly sorry that such a horrendous event took place right here on U.S. soil, and on a military base. God help us all!!

3. Lori S

As a Major, he was in a position to lead. As enlisted people we are taught that Officer's are somehow wiser than those of us enlisted people because they have degree's. I have known a lot of people from around the world in the military, heard people say a lot of whacky stuff, but this.....is unreal. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families and all those who were serving with them. When something happens in the military, no matter the branch, it affects all military people.

4. Taylor Faber

question. what sect of muslim was he? shia or sunni?

5. lora

Seems to me that it would create a huge internal conflict, no matter how much you loved your country of citizenship to be asked to participate in a war against your culture of origin. The harrassment he allegedly received probably just added to the conflict. Sorry for the families and wonderful folks at Fort Hood.

6. Hussam Al-Odeh

Anderson,

I am an American citizen from a Jo9rdanian descent... I believe that, according to the last name od the Major who committed this horrible act, further investigation about his descent should be conducted. Let us not forget that hundreds of thousands of Palestenians moved to Jordan and got the citizenship there but still from palestenian descent

7. ROLAND ANDERSON

I just don't understand this,why don't you all run a do you fill safe in our country now,I bet 80% will say no because of this,I think we really better pat attention to this because they got us the first time with our planes and now it is a possibility that terriost are in our army.

8. Bonnie

Maybe if they'd taken action on his POOR REVIEW and not tried to send over him to take care of our soldiers in action this wouldn't have happened???

9. Emily

Frances Townsend has been providing great info from what I've seen this evening on & off....
    This is really sad news that this happened on US soil! 🙁

10. JW

It is a Post not a base. the air force uses bases the marines use bases, the army forts are posts, i know its petty but as a veteran of the us army i find it annoying to not get the nomenclature correct

11. joshua

What a terrible day today. My prayer's go to all the families and people in fort hood.

12. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hello Anderson, Erica, CNN reporters and bloggers;

So sad to hear of another mass shooting today. But also sad that I don't even find them all that surprising anymore. I'm beginning to wonder if these are all copy cat crimes now.

13. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

My sister lives in the area of Ft. Hood. she says it is crazy there. Lots of aircraft, sirens, and a sense of panic and shock. I can't even imagine!

14. greg, louisiana

This shooting is a prime example of why we must seek the face of God, and encourage our neighbors to do so as well.

November 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  15. scot

I am recently retired from Fort Hood diagnosed PTSD. Fort Hood and Killeen are communities in crisis. Fort hood has been able to keep it quiet until now. Hundreds of Soldier returning have become murders and victims of suicide and violence. Our community is falling apart and finally people are going to have to listen.

November 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Kristy

My prayers & thoughts to all the families. My husband was going to be stationed there so I am currently thanking god that we had not been stationed there.

November 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  17. Doug

I was stationed there from '86-'87. When I heard about this shooting I was saddend about it. I did 14 years with a 6 month deployment 19 years ago. My prayers go out to the families.

November 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  18. Steve Fort Huachuca

Coming from a military family of 3 generations who have served the US Army I was truly saddened to here of this tragic event at Fort Hood.

From one Army family member to another my prayers are with those families who lost someone and those families of those injured during this tragic event.

November 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  19. Shawn Hendricks - Fairplay, MD

Was he near Fort Hood during the earlier mass shooting in the mall outside post?

November 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Brandon

I think that what occurred today is tragic and my heart goes out to all of the families. Plain and simple, I don't think the muslim's should be allowed to join our Armed Forces. This is what happens when you allow people like him to fight for our country.

November 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  21. Brandon Tannehill

I am a former soldier who was stationed in Fort Hood merely two months ago. I have friends, brothers and sisters still there and I am completely disgusted that any member of the military could take their aggression and anger out on comrades. My personal anger, depression, and iritation are feelings that are shared by fellow soldiers, former soldiers, and military family members.

November 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  22. Marcy

@ Jessica,
    That's what i'm talking about... when are they going to take the family and soldiers seriously? When?

November 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Brenda

My heart goes out to my army brothers and sisters at Ft. Bragg. 🙁

November 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  24. Laura

Let's pray for all the families who are suffering the lose of a love one. The Army is a big family, I been on the service for 4 years and I never expected to see something like this. RIP Soldiers, friends and family. We are going to miss you all.

November 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  25. SSG Weltsch

As a Soldier here at Fort Hood, let me tell you this is horrible thing that has happened, and has hit way too close to home. I deployed twice to Iraq and this pains my heart as bad as anything I saw there. People have so many misconceptions about our daily lives when not deployed, I hate seeing all the wild speculation going on in the media. I'm racked with nervousness after having nothing to do but watch the news as the events unfolded. We were under very strict lock-down till 7PM. My wish is that we could all do something to help the families of the victims.

November 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  26. Paul - Creech AFB, NV

Anderson,
    I am a active duty Air Force in Nevada. I am in shock that this has happened to my brothers and sisters in arms. My condolences go to the families of the injured and killed. I have my ideas after hearing some of the facts that have came out but at the same time we all need to let the investigators conduct their business and come to a conclusion. I am sure it will all work out in the end. My main take is that if he was a counselor and listening to all of the war stories from the soldiers that have come back that maybe it had effected him mentally also. I am sure that will be part of the investigation.

November 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Kelli formerly of Copperas Cove, TX

It is somewhat common for some soldiers in Ft. Hood to "act out" before a scheduled deployment. There have been suicides, violent acts, and others so that they do not deploy. Some soldiers take desperate measures to not be deployed. I am just sad that this man went to this extreme. I am curious to learn why.

November 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  28. Sharon Hastings

What do you bet there have been signs, clues, comments made, behaviors, well in advance of his taking this action. Again, we may be faced with the preventative aspects of something like this. When do you take action ahead of time instead of waiting for a tragedy? Remember, this is a mental health professional. He worked with other mental health professionals. I bet they noticed stuff. Maybe even shared some concerns. But look what happened.

November 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Starr

My family also is of militaries. My grandfather was in the military and I have 5 cousins military here in Brazil. This kind of thing does not fit!

November 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Shawn

Q: Why did the military take so long to announce he was in fact alive and stable?

Q: With the blogs that have been found are they thinking that this attack just might be some sort of a small terrorist cell here in Texas? Are they worried about any further attacks on military personal here as well as across the country?

November 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Monica

It is being said that Hasan was trying to get out of the military and that he had hired an attorney. Why did he want out of the military? Why could he not simply resign his commission? Was he still under a service obligation?

November 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  32. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Megan & Bloggers,
    I'm late here tonight, however I heard about this awful shooting spree this afternoon...my thoughts are with all the Military Families this evening!

November 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Patti

Unbelievable this shooting, my a brother a major in the army was just at Fort Hood 24 hrs. ago at this exact spot the shooting took place. He was on his way back to Iraq after 2 weeks leave. He is currently in his second tour. I feel like he just dodged a bullet. My heart goes out to the families of the dead and wounded my prayers are with you all.

November 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Joan - Washington state

Who has jurisdiction for a capital offense on a military base? And, does the military have capital punishment for a capital offense?

35. Frank

Pam the base is a lot bigger than 300 plus acers big. Its 200,000 plus acers big. Trust me I covered every bit of it when I was stationed there.

36. Gail E. Safford

Does anyone know if he said anything while he was shooting?

37. Robert W

If records are red flagged like we see, the government knew of this Guy's tendency should have removed him right away? Those words he has stated should have been removed due to conversation with others prior.

38. M

What happened today at Ft Hood is INEXCUSABLE and totally appalling. I have been in for 24 years, and always thought Officers were the ones we looked up to.

Now, this happens and one has to rethink the trust factor. Im headed to Ft Hood very soon, and will always be looking over my shoulder and at who is leading us.

Something that just has to be after todays events.

39. Jo Ann, North Royalton,Ohio

"Wait, he's a Muslim. . . "

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, I don't know how much of the coverage you have watched but they have avoided bringing that fact up. I am surprised that Anderson just mentioned it.

I am sorry, but the fact is violence is ingrained in their culture and in their religlion.

40. Captain Infantry 101st ABN

It would be ashame if we do not recognize this as Islamic extremism. This guy is not a result of war PTSD or work related stress. No Soldier with PTSD or stress would go to this extreme against his brethern. Hassan obviously felt no emotional connection, unity, or loyality to his fellow Soldiers because it was a deeper extremism driving his motives.

Captain D. 101st Airborne

41. vic nashville, tn

Pray for the victims and their families today is sad day

42. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@megan (((hugs))) to you too! XO

43. susan flowerree

As it has been said that weapons are not carried by the people on the base, how is it that a woman shot the man doing the shooting.

44. Pam - San Diego, CA

I heard he had one m16 plus a hand gun. You can hit alot of people in a short amount of time with the m16. plus he was looking for people he knew.

45. April

Ft. Hood should amp up the security on the base, obviously this is a problem-too many soldiers died at a place they were supposed to be safe. This is nonsense, just because of his ethnicity this story is getting blown out of context!

46. Pat

I believe the news conference was delayed because the military wanted to move the shooter to an undisclosed, secure hospital before they gave out the news that he was still alive.

47. Marilyn Burgess

Many people who go into the mental health field do it in hopes of solving their own mental health problems. These folks do not make stable therapists as we see at Fort Hood.

48. Nicholas

I just want everyone to know that the pistol that he used IS semi-automatic. The news just made the report sound like they are different. They are not...

49. Jessica, Fort Hood, TX

Hello all! Im an army wife to a soldier that is over seas. We are stationed at Fort Hood and actually right up the street from where this happened. I love the army I have been part since i was born. so 22 yrs in the army and i have never ever seen anything like this! I dont understand why a soldier has to kill all these soldiers?? Please remember Fort Hood, 11/05/09

50. Chaney, Louisiana

How sad, he committed the ultimate betrayel, by shooting down his fellow soldiers in cold blood, I am sickened and saddened.....this has far reaching implications, his name invokes fear to some.

November 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm |