November 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/05/09

Tonight, the latest developments on the shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas. 12 people killed and just moments ago we learned the suspected gunman is alive. There were earlier reports he was killed. Stay with us for live coverage through Midnight ET.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Trish

My son is a soldier at Ft. Hood and was on base at the time of the shooting, his biggest conern was my safety because I live near the base. Thank God my son was not near the shooting. This Major wanted to use the United States Military to get a free education and training so he could get rich, but when it came time to pay back by serving overseas he chickens out. He is a major no one harassed him!!! He is a terrorist! I am so thankful they didn't kill him so he can pay for this slowly for the rest of his life.

2. Gary

I find it hard to believe that the military did not know the medical status of the gunman? How is it he goes from killed in a firefight to stable condition? The military and gov't need to get their facts straight and the situation under control before making such a report!

3. Anderson Fernandes

Hi everyone,

I live in Killeen and I am really worried about what just happened. I heard this Hasan guy planned this attack months ago and other attacks are going to happen... I really hope this is just a rumor.

4. Jeff

Does anyone out there know how the wounded are truly doing? I prey to the good Lord that the death count does not go up. Anderson, please find out how the wounded are doing.

5. hailey

It was a very sad and scary day here at ft. hood I am a wife who lived close to the shooting on post who had to hide in my house with children scared for our lives and the lives of our loves ones. We moved onpost to be safe. How does this happen to those who give there all for our country? yes it was a sad day here and will be a sad journey picking up the peices and trying to feel safe again.

6. deb

Very sad night not only in Texas but across the USA. My thoughts and prayers go to the those at Ft Hood and also to all of our men and women in uniform as this has an affect on them we may not be able to fathom

7. marcelo

I'm a Staff Sergeant in Fort Hood and it is sad that someone who you should trust commits a crime like this. The building where he started the shooting its a pretty size building, but it has lots of narrow spaces, making it easy for the attact. I just came back from a deployment to Afghanistan three months ago and just like all the rest of the Soldiers we had to go thru that building. I also used to work right across from there just two weeks ago. I'm sure those the last thing in those Soldiers' minds were what just occured. To me the lost of a Soldier hurts every inch of my soul, we all fight for the same reasons. God Bless them and their loved ones

8. Michael

@jo ann, @Renee,
    Had there been any other armed soldiers in the room he wouldn't have lasted long.

9. sheila

why? Does anybody know?

10. jessica

marcy,
    I agree with what you said but not only when are they gonna take the complaints seriously when are they gonna take what the families have to say seriously?

11. Shawn Hendricks - Fairplay, MD

@Renee,
    Military men and women are required to tell military intelligence about security concerns.

12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX
    You're welcome, Betty...... HUGS!

13. Joel

I guess not eveyone knows how to take out stress and emotion in a gym or on there one time but i am not sure if anyone else is with me, but hearing that he is still alive and might be able to give some insight if he will talk is great. Def not saying he deserves to be but ever a little insight would put some people at rest or understanding.

14. Cessy, Chicago IL

internet posting 6 months ago? why didnt they looked into this closely? maybe this wouldn't have happened.

15. Kim

As an Army Mom, I am saddened by todays events and am concerned for the safety of our soldiers ... at home and abroad! My Son is currently in South Korea, I was concerned about his duty station, but it is clear that soldiers are not safe anywhere! My condolences to all the families affected today!

16. Frank

My prayers are with all the victims and their families. It will be interesting, to say the least, to see how this act of violence plays out as the facts unfold. Given the legal protection the alleged assailant will have it may take some time before it all comes out, if ever.

17. Viviane

I am a proud Staff Sergeant from Ft Hood Texas and let it be known that the families of the fallen will be loved and taken care of and the unneccesarry death of our commrades will be revenged, one way or another. There was no reson to bring the war into our home when in these times we need to stick together, no matter what! This attack will never be forgotten and maybe it will open the eyes of the public that some of ou soldiers are being pushed to our limits and maybe the Chain of Command needs to learn to listen better. Fort Hood was, is and will always be the home of Heroes.

18. David, Indiana

Definitely a horrifying and shocking day. Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. I'd like to send my thoughts and prayers to those who have lost their lives or have been wounded and their loved ones and everyone at Fort Hood.

I am surprised to learn that Major Hasan is alive. Eventhough he was quickly restrained it was a terrible attack. I don't understand why if he was under surveillance he wasn't being watched more closely.

Yes, how come he wasn't apprehended as soon as he was seen to have a weapon? When was that noticed?

19. Erick, Killeen, Texas

I can't believe that this happened so close to my family. Please be careful out there to everyone.

20. Teresa

It is rediculous that so many on the web are eager to be so racist. There are extremist in every religious background. It is sad Muslim is that key word for so many.

21. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

bizarre incident. There is so much more to unfold. I have a feeling we have only scratched the surface. Will the military cover up? I wonder.

22. Ryan Chacon

are there any surveillance cameras??

23. Whitney

I think it is outrageous that people are assuming that because of his last name that it is a terrorist attack. It really shows how good Americans are at creating stereotypes rather than fighting against them. This is a horrific event and demonstrates the need for more attention and funding towards PTSD and other mental disorders.

24. Brandon - Olympia, WA

Earlier it was that the main shooter had committed suicide and 2 other shooters were in custody and now it's that the main shooter is alive and no other shooters are mentioned?

25. tim

i am stationed at the base in camp pendlton, ca and we shouldnt have to worry about this kinda of stuff i mean how dumb can u be to caome on a militarty base nad do this

26. Jennifer - Lampasas, TX

Is it possible that a motive for the shooter could have been "Remember, Remember the 5th of November?"

27. Carol

First I want to say my heart goes out to the victims, and their families, and I hope they get the answers they are looking for. My question is How did a man who had these beliefs about sucide bombs, and things like this, become a major in the Untied States Military? Did he wait to become a major before he started having these thoughts, I dont know but it sounds kind of crazy to me!

28. darrell loggins

I't seems pretty obvious that this is a premeditated terrrorist attack from a middle eastern muslim. With all the evidence Dr. Phil refuses to even acknowlegde this. I't seems they have us right were they want us. Content that they are living among us!

29. starr, formerly known as vincent

Mike Formerly from Syracuse.

I think it is irresponsible and dangerous to assume that this incident at Fort Hood was a "terrorist" attack.

We do not know much at this time and we should Not speculate. There are many, many Muslim Americans. It is insulting to them and quite frankly others too, to label this situation as "terrorist" yet.

Time and a good investigation will tell us the truth.

30. gail

My prayers go out to the families of the fallen at Fort Hood and all of our Gold Star families including my own. I feel such pain at this tragedy.

31. nicole sanchez

i was stuck on fort hood for this lock down. its upsetting to find out that the fbi was investigating him. some job they did. . . . .

32. Cessy, Chicago IL

The most disturbing is that this is the work of a psychiatrist. No one would even think of looking into a doctor. I'm interested in what they know about this psychiatrist and how much they know about what he's been going through.

33. John

I am in the Army with PTSD, I have no tendancies in shooting fellow Soldiers, for the Army wanting to re-deployee me...
    I think the Major is a coward, and a Jerk!!!!

November 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  34. Justine

What are the implications for soldiers that need mental health counseling when a psychiatrist turns on patients in this way?

November 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  35. Cynthia, NC

Hello. It has been a day marred by a senseless tragedy at Fort Hood. Our military personnel have to worry enough when they are deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. Now they have to be concerned about fellow soldiers on their base?
    My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the brave individuals who lost their lives today.

November 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  36. Gannon Williams

This is rediculous, how can we let this happen? We need to up the background screening we do upon entering the military, for both mental health as well as criminal records. We can not afford to let this happen, if we want to continue to fight 2 wars, and not pull any of our troops out of the middle east.

November 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  37. Rikki, Texas

It's everywhere now, only took 7 hours for them to tell us that though. Also Jo Ann they've made it very clear soldiers DO NOT carry weapons on base.

November 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  38. Paul -killeen-ft hood Tx

Wow, really crazy we go to war then come how and think we are safe? Then something like this happens?
    My heart goes out to all the families!!

November 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  39. Jane - Vt

@Nancy, he was born in this country.

November 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  40. Jeff

I agree with Wanda, this is not PTSD. I believe it is just as all people who go crazy. Something that none of us sane people will ever understand.

November 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  41. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

He had all that going on, but he suffered a mental state.

November 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Russ

@Jo Ann
    People seem to have misconception of soldiers on a base carrying weapons all the time, and this is just not the case. Being a Soldiers it tears me apart to see something like this, Death would be to good for this guy.

November 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  43. Thomas Maleshafske

There is no excuse for this individual....He is a Major in the United States Army He is charged with the care and welfare of Soldiers. He is a disgrace to himself, his family, and country!

November 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  44. Janne

Mistakenly reported killed; he's alive. Last I heard the civilian cop who shot him is alive too.

I'm disappointed at the amount of speculation I'm hearing on the news. I realize there isn't a lot of confirmed info yet, and I suppose you have to fill the time somehow. I just wish people on national television would think before they talk.

My heart goes out to the Ft. Hood family. You're in my prayers.

November 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  45. Mike

I am a man of islamic faith and believe that our faith should not be brought into to much detail in this investigation.

November 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  46. kathy-corvallis

Maybe this is 2ndary traumatization. Maybe he, "threw himself on the granade", knowing he would be killed to save other soldiers going to Iraq.

November 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  47. Victoria - Minneapolis, MN

Hi everyone, such a horrible and tragic event. My heart too goes out to all the victims in Ft. Hood and to their family.

November 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  48. Ania

It's a shame that this has happened and I'm praying for all the families going through this tragedy. -Ania in Houston TX

November 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  49. John F. Kelley

Why not question him "with force" then show him the same treatment he displayed today, eye for an eye..

November 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Merrily,
    (Supect) He is right now in hospitalized in Fort Hood, TX.

November 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm |