November 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/05/09

Tonight, the latest developments on the shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas. 12 people killed and just moments ago we learned the suspected gunman is alive. There were earlier reports he was killed. Stay with us for live coverage through Midnight ET.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Rick Smith

What was the Lt. General's Latin reference/phrase when he said, "Soilders taking care of Soilders?" thanks.

November 5, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  2. Sophia - Texas

Thank you so much for your care and compassion ~ It shows in the impeccable job you and your crew are doing on this story. No one else is covering it the way you are...

May those who have suffered loss or are experiencing fear and uncertainty as they wait for loved ones to recover be comforted with the inexhaustible love of Christ.

November 5, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  3. Kelly

This is a sad day for our American troops and for our country. I keep hearing everyone saying "We don't understand the motive or what was going on in his mind". Even though it has been mentioned that he was an American Muslim, it has not been mentioned that maybe he had a problem with going overseas to kill his fellow Muslims. Our military should do more extensive screening and psychiatric evaluations to our military personnel, especially for anyone in an administrative or medical care professional position. Afterall, these are our troops who stand and fight together on the front lines for our country.

November 5, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  4. Carolyn, Killeen/Fort Hood, TX

@dori
    I don't want to send out the wrong idea so to clarify I am not a soldier. I am the daughter of a disabled vet, a former Army wife, a friend to tons of soldiers, and a lifetime supporter of our troops. I appreciate everything you've said, but the true thanks goes to the actual soldiers. The support that our area is getting from yourself and everyone else around the country is overwhelming and truly appreciated by everyone here. Truly.

November 5, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  5. linda

In my opinion, this is a very very angry man and knew exactly what he was doing. I believe he would have killed himself after he murdered the soldiers if having had the opportunity. These perpetrators are very patient and wait it out often for years before making their move. I don't think he was unstable at all. I think the fact that he had such difficulty getting out of the military was one motivation becuase I think he had other plans and no longer had patience. Being a Psychiatrist or a Doctor is irrelevant...he didn't care at all.

November 5, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  6. Dalia

There are programs in the army that help you deal with stress in a private manner and have no set backs for your job. It takes a strong person to admit there is an issue and get help. Clearly Maj Hasan had red flags all around him. He could have chaptered out or just been discharged for poor work performance. There is no way that a person with such character flaws should have stayed in the army just to make numbers while creating a hostile environment.

November 5, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  7. Emily

@ Nancy,
    even as a doctor, he had a failing report at one of the hospitals that he was working at....that says something right there too!

November 5, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  8. Jenna

im glad there were soldier medics there, and also those soldiers that were trained by the medics to be combat life savers. there could have been more deaths. i know how hard medics work, my brother is a medic that was deployed.
    God Bless the Army and
    i feel bad for the families that are affected by this horrible person.

November 5, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  9. JAM

This guy is well versed in mental health...how can we tell if he decides to fake his mental condition. AC please ask the question

November 5, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  10. brenda

This has happened at a time when we are all so unsure of our feelings of the war at hand. maybe this is a sign that enough is enough. may the Lord be with everyone affected by this act of a coward!

November 5, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  11. Lauren Agnoni

I think this may be another glaring sign that our military is almost at it's breaking point. The stress of these "wars" is creating too many personal problems with too many soldiers. I am thankful that I have no had any ill effects from my tour in Iraq (yet).

November 5, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Dori,
    You're so exactly right!!!!! I agree with your comment posted. 🙂

November 5, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  13. Renee

Honestly, I think we need to re-think our policies of active military being able to carry guns on military facilities. Obviously we have enemies within our own military.

November 5, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  14. Greg

My question would be if this soldier was suspect to making statements about the war and his personal opinions about suicide bombers and his stance about not wanting to fight for his country what was he still doing with clusters on his uniform? This person should have been removed immedietly from his position and booted out of the military, and perhaps this day would'nt have happened. Sad day for America, sad day for the people at Ft Hood.

November 5, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  15. Dustin

I would just like to comment on the events that happened at Ft.Hood. As a former Ft. Hood soldier, My heart bleeds out for the familys of those who lost their lives, Second I hope that this brings light on how the war affects people. I do understand the the Major has not been deployed before. But this war has taken its toll on our military personel. Ft. Hood soldiers have, in my mind, the hardest life style in america. If you will, imagine that you are only home for 12-15 months then you go to Iraq or Afganistan for 12-15 months. All on a constent rotation. This is why we need to look into removing our forces from these countrys. Thank you for reading this. I hope people will look into what our armed forces go through.

November 5, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  16. Susan

Imagine the most upset you have ever been. How close have you come to mass murder? Not very I would assume. This was an EVIL man under stress. NOT a man under stress who needed an outlet.

November 5, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  17. Nancy

Appears that this doctor who was supposedly helping our soldiers has had ongoing "psychological problems" and could have used some psychological help himself. Shouldn't he have been on a sabbatical? He was helping our soldiers?? This man had to be way off base to commit this horrific crime to our most admired heros. Our soldiers deserve better than this. What is happening to our America? This is getting too close to home. My prayers are with the soldiers, families of Ft. Hood, and our country. The US needs more support from this administration.

November 5, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  18. Emily

Lt. Gen. Honore, has been providing alot of great info today!

November 5, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  19. Nesse

How devastating... My thoughts and prayers are for each of the families and comrades of the departed soldiers inuring the pain of this tragedy. The irony of it all continues to appall me.

November 5, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  20. marcel

Bullying in the high schools . Now bullying in are armed forces this needs too stop! people who are bullyed snap this has been proven!!!! when are we gonna stop this?

November 5, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  21. Adam

For one, this angers me.
    Two, there is no way to prepare for a tragody like this.
    Three, soldiers do not let this hinder your thoughts for what we fight for
    Four, my constant prayers for the familes, wounded, deceased, and the un physically harmed as this has harmed us all, especially those of us as myself serving in the military, much less the great american Army.
    And lastly, "lord, bring peace to the familes of the immediately effected and let not mercy show forth on this traitor, but guide the O4 to repent and reape what he has sowed to the fullest." Amen

November 5, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  22. bo

sad,sad, we live around fear what he did was just hatetred and mean

November 5, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  23. Emily

@ BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX,
    That was beautiful BettyAnn,
    Have a good night there in Texas! 😀

November 5, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  24. Frances

My heart goes out to the families of the deceased and wounded. This is a very heartbreaking but very unnecessary act of violence. I'm sending out my prayers to my comrades, their loved ones and anyone else effected by this senseless tragedy.

November 5, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  25. JP

I'm not condoning the actions of this man, but it's important for Americans to understand our military is extremely stressed. If you don't believe it look at the suicide rate in the Army...the highest ever! I've recently retired from the military after serving over 23 years (multiple deployments) and work with wounded warriors...our military members are feeling the stress of the current tempo!

November 5, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  26. Christy

Hi Anderson. Any information yet about the victims? Have any names been released to the media?

November 5, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  27. Raul

Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims families and all others affected by this horrible event, what is this world coming to? So many evil people out there. Pray Pray Pray!

November 5, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  28. nicole

@ Abby i am from tn and i will most definetly be wearing a ribbon tomorrow...I Will be serving this country soon and i will be proud to be a soldier

November 5, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  29. Susan

I guess it is possible that he had been part of a sleeper cell.

November 5, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  30. Chuck

@ Willis, Hasen was born in the US I think it was reported that he was born in NJ. He is a US Citizen by birth.

November 5, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  31. jennifer

hey my name is jennifer and first of all i must give my condolences and prayers to all the families affected in today's tragedy. i live in killeen and i was at school at CTC when all of this happened and was locked down at school. this is something that everyone thinks will never happen so close to home but i think today proves that it can happen anywhere. in these times of economic and moral hardships we must stand together and fight for peace. they blame his religious background but i must stop to say that anyone could have done it. we have to stop the religious and racial conflicts and come together as one people with the same goal, peace, but further than that we need to come together and find a common ground and way to get that peace. In the wise words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in his speech Where Do We Go from Here: Community or Chaos? "One day we must come to see that peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek but a means by which we arrive at that goal. We must pursue peaceful ends through peaceful means." So with that said i must agree full heartedly and leave you all with my condolences and prayers. God bless.

November 5, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  32. Dori

Carolyn/Ft Hood, thank you so much. I am so humbled by it. Your address did not escape my attention. AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRAFICE, WHETHER A SOLDIER OR SPOUSE OF ONE. I have the life I have had, a great one, thanks to your commitment, integrity and greatest of all sacrifices, yourselves, though it should never have happened at home for a soldier

November 5, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  33. Huma

It's upsetting that yet again the moderate american muslims will be slighty persecuted by this. @Chuck, I agree. He didn't wan't to go to Afganistan and was just probably upset. Considering he was selling his furniture, he was probably hoping to die today. Another nut with a gun.

November 5, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  34. Kathy Chicago

I guess you never know when someone's button is ready to pop. My heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones. I'm sure they thought they were safe at their own base. My prayers are with them.

November 5, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  35. Joyce

I feels so sorry for the families of the victoms, I wish that I could help in some way.

November 5, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  36. SGT Otis Hooper

Hi A.C. as an american soldier that has been deployed to Iraq 3 times i just wanted to express my hurt in hearing about the incident that happened to my fellow soldiers on Ft. Hood. I'm stationed at Ft Carson, Colorado and i attended Warriors Leaders Course at Ft Hood and i just wanted to say to all of my fellow soldiers at Ft Hood and around the world we must stay strong and motivated and not to allow things like this to set us back as american soldiers and as people. I hope that there is a way that we can find out the truth as to what sparked this soldier to do what he did. Lastly i'd like to give my condolences to all the families that were affected by this tragic incident. thank you and God Bless America!!!! Go Army!!!!

November 5, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  37. Harriett

This horrific event is so devastating to our military personnel and my heart and prayers are with the innocent ones that lost their lives today and also with the injured. I know there will be a huge investigation but if it is true that this mass murderer had recently been promoted, those responsible for promoting him need to be investigated and those that made the decision to send him to either Iraq or Afghanistan need to be investigated if he allegedly had poor evaluations and also been investigated for his seemingly disloyalty to the military, etc. There has got to be some straight answers when a military psychiatrist officer kills 12 people and injures over 30.

November 5, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sgt Balser, Perry
    Thanks for your service in Iraq, I hope you will stay safe on the road, I am supporting all way to you.... Thanks for sharing with us.

November 5, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  39. Bryan

I've been in the building that this event took place several times. The main entrance on the northeast side of the building leads down a hallway that is about fifteen feet wide and thirty feet long. Then it takes a ninety degree turn to the right and opens up to a large central area. Before being used as a deploying personel processing facility it was a recreational facility/nightclub. I can picture the scene and understand the high casualty count.

November 5, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  40. HaynesLove

Please let us all know the real facts of this incident, too much is in question at this time, other peoples lives may depend on it. Hate crimes are too much a part of our lives as it is!!

November 5, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  41. David, Indiana

Good night Isabel, good to see you tonight.

@Starr, yes, i agree finding out what the motivation(s) were will help. I haven't been in the service, but from what I've seen reported crime happens on military bases as in the civilian population, but it is shocking.

Internship, Residency, Fellowship. Isn't a fellowship a hard assignment to get, kind of an honor?

November 5, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  42. Rod

Anderson, what a travesty! However, it was not domestic combat as you aluded to! This is nothing short of a murderer on a rampage. These brave men & women were not in combat they were being taken out by a crazy who they in turn took out, they need to just finish the job with proper justice! As Canadians we stand with your troops and remain together with you in this time of sorrow. Our prayers and compassion reach out to these grief stricken families.

November 5, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  43. Barbara in Boston

To all at AC360 - thanks for the experts you've had on this topic. You're doing a great job.

November 5, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  44. jessica

My prayers go out to the families of Fort Hood, maybe the good for this terrifing action is that all military personal that has signs of PTSD or other signs will be required to go get help and maybe the military wont just blow off the concerns families and fellow soldiers have for their soldier. That now they will change the way they take care of the soldier and their family!!!!!

November 5, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  45. Major Mike

@Jessica

The MP's at Fort Hood are augmented by Civilian Dept of Def Police. Security staffing on a military base is an extremely important. I find it very unlikely that they were short staffed.

This was the act of a Coward, a direct attack on our military. A greater questions that I have not seen asked is: What happened in his background investigation?

November 5, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  46. willis

I was at Ft Hood in 81 thru 82 and 85 thru 88. I went to vietnam 65-66 and I was also in Desert Shield and Storm 90-91. Retired!

I send my regrets to the fallen and wounded. The military should take a look at all muslims not born in the U.S. Like this Doctor!!!!!!! These people dead and wounded because a Colonel a friend didn't take him seriously, maybe people will listen more closely. His friend the Col should be chastised for no action taken.

Wish I was still in the Army.

November 5, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  47. Brandon Delvo

As a 2-time Iraq combat veteran, the anger and rage that soldiers feel isnt so much from the combat, but more of the people that they deal with on a day-to-day basis, the poor and under experienced officers, favoritism, and senior NCOs that are only over in Iraq to further thier careers, not care for their soldiers, and especially medals awarded by rank status, not by the work or job that you have done, I volunteered to go to Iraq in 2004 and again in 2008 and even with 4 years difference I saw no change in these things. Something has to be done and our senior officers and NCOs must address this issue.
    Brandon Delvo
    Williston, ND

November 5, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  48. Mustafa Zubair

It is a tragedy what happened today my, heart felt sympathies go to the families of the deceased and wounded. Such a cowardly act commited by any person of which ever faith brings shame to others of the same faith.

November 5, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  49. "dtarr, formerly known as vincent

@Huma, i just read your post.

You are right, this kind of action does not come from the teachings of Islam, or the Bible or the Torah, or any other relisious books of wisdom, (And yet, there are extremists in All religions who truly believe that killing and dying for God is the way to go).

I hope that all Americans will consider that before there is a mass condemnation of Muslims based on one man's actions (and we don't even know what his reasons were yet.)

November 5, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yes, my prayers go out to the slain and wound soldiers' families and friends.

November 5, 2009 at 11:29 pm |