November 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/05/09

Tonight, the latest developments on the shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas. 12 people killed and just moments ago we learned the suspected gunman is alive. There were earlier reports he was killed. Stay with us for live coverage through Midnight ET.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Myrvete

Thank you Dori for being a person who has some logic.

November 5, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  2. Jessica

Also my thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost their loved ones today. This is an extremely sad day, I spent 8 years in the Navy, and I ALWAYS felt the safest on base. This doesn't seem to be the case now, which is extremely disappointing:(:(:(

November 5, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  3. thomas

my prayers are with all at the ft hood baseand the ft hood community

November 5, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  4. Bonnie Riley

As a military wife, naturally i was thinking, that could have been us, and is this gonna happen to us? Recently the crime in the military has gone up.. on Ft Riley people have hung themselves, and killed people, and left the bodies in shallow graves... my thing is, with all this out cry for attn, hopefully people realize all the stress, and bad service members that are in the military. mabe something can be done now and no one else will be hurt. Wishful thinking?

November 5, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  5. jessy

Im stationed at fort hood my wife and i are both in the army there. My wife was suppose to be there at the same time when the shootings took place. Luckily my wifes platoon went bowling instead. 1 thing though i have been in the building recently it is not very big and they over pack the place like sardines u can hardly move when u go in the building. my heart goes out to the families and everyone.

November 5, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  6. Jaques Killeen/Fort Hood, TX

@ Kaye

When it can potentially save the lives of other innocent people. Do you think that if they would have said that he was alive initially people would not have tried to get into those hospitals and kill him, potentially putting more innocent people in harms way? I live here I know the fear we went through today, you could barley get a phone call out, and sometimes we forget that vengeance is not ours.

November 5, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX
    Good night Betty, HUGS! 🙂

November 5, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  8. Barbara in Boston

@ Susan - EMDR is not always effective as PTSD treatment. A lot of research has shown that it is not more effective than placebo treatment.

November 5, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  9. Mike Medford

As a long time disabled vet, my question is hhow did this doctor manage to move around on that huge post carrying guns while showing medical patches. Why did someone no see him. Military Police are the only personnel allowed to carry loaded weapons on a military installation. My prayers go out to the wounded and dead.

November 5, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  10. Sgt Balser, Perry

Im currently deployed in Iraq right now and cant seem to understand how were suppose to live in the land of the free but the brave are away risking there lives in combat overseas right now. However the fight is right in front of our face on our own soil. We need to take care of ourselves back home and forget about this so called never ending war we are fighting in. Its horrific and Im truely saddened about this entire situation. Im on my second deployment in four years. its hard to believe your suppose to be a family and a member of a team, wheres the loyalty, duty and honor. Terror in our land and in our military family will not be tolerated. He needs to pay the ultimate price for his actions. DEATH. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends. Gone but not forgotten.

November 5, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  11. Susan

It's completely different for a semi-literate, drug hazed teenager to commit a mass murder, than a mature, knowing, educated, ethics trained physicians to commit mass murder – this is an act of evil that he chose.

November 5, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  12. ashlee

I think this is terrible! i was on post during the shooting and i never would have thought that this would even be possible to have happened on post! This is our home! we go to war and make it back alive but cant go to the center to get a checkup with out having to fear for our lives!

November 5, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  13. Stefi

Soldiers go to army psychiatrists for mental help, where do the psychiatrists go for the help they need without it being detrimental to their career?

November 5, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  14. Steve

It appears that he preplanned these shootings for reasons that he will only know. What a coward, if he didn't want to serve his country there are other ways out without taking innocent people with him. Now he has to pay the price.

November 5, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  15. Sue

I live here on Fort Hood . This tragic day really breaks my heart. Its very unsettling knowing that I live on an army base and things like could happen about 3 miles from my home. My heart goes out to all the families of the fallen and wounded soldiers. This is America ...tragic events such as this will only prove how strong we Americans are and how we will pull together! Being upset about being deployed is no excuse. This man makes me sick to my stomach.

November 5, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  16. Emily

@ June S. Smith,
    It's terrible when days like the one that you lived through in 1966 and the one today are forever etched in our minds! 😐

They seem to overshadow so much!

November 5, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  17. Mike Johnson

As a veteran of the army, these events has deeply saden me. My thoughts and prayers goes out to all the victims and their families. May God bless all of you.

November 5, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  18. Ramona, Jackson, MS

What a shocking day; and just before Veteran's Day, that America suffer such tragedy. Had followed CNN this afternoon with this breaking news; however, just found out the suspect is still alive and that he is a psychiatrist during the 1st hr of your broadcast. Unbelievable!
    May God bless all the many people and families involved.
    A great show with all these unfolding details. Bloggers have been very enlightening as well.

November 5, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  19. Umar

The man just didn't want to be deployed. He obviously chose the wrong profession!

November 5, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  20. Kellie

God bless the families of these people. I hope he lives to face every member of every family that he distroyed today. God speed to the families.

November 5, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  21. Tara- Fort Hood

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families of the victims here at Fort Hood. Today was a very scary day, a day that you hear of but you never think it will actually hit that close to home. Thank you all for your prayers...

November 5, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  22. Michelle - Little Rock, AR

Obviously we don't the motive behind this tragedy, but I think that the stress of being sent to Iraq may have triggered this act. We send our men and women to war and never consider what mental damage this might cause. No one goes on this kind of rampage with a calm, collected emotional state...he's obviously disturbed and we need to find out why he never got any help!

November 5, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  23. Tarah

Anderson I am at Ft. Bliss, TX. Over hear the news of Ft. Hood has shocked us all. As a spouse and former Soldier the news that an Army Officer shot fellow soldiers is both sickening and very disturbing. I hope he talks and gives us answers to his motives. The families of the wounded and murdered soldiers deserve answers. My thoughts and prayers go out to them, as one military family to another we are all one big family.

November 5, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  24. Major Mike

@billie

Maybe that was exactly the objective of the suspect.

November 5, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  25. SPC Harris

This is so sad and i was just stationed there and I am overwhelmed by what happened. My heart and prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones and those who were injured. May God be with them.

November 5, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  26. Kyle

this whole shooting is horrible its bad enough to have families worry as soldiers go off over seas but its even worse for them to have to worry about being harmed in there own home sad enough to say this man will probably be able to plead insanity hmmm i dont know... my prayers go to all soldiers families who are having to deal with death or injuries to there loved ones

November 5, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  27. Chuck

Word of caution everyone... There is no proof that Hasan made those posts as of yet, only speculation. Secondly, the chances that this was terrorism based on the war...that's a strech.. I think this guy was just ticked he was being deployed, and decided to vent his anger on the system that brought that anger to the top.
    Word is the FBI because of the degree and speculations going on will be leading this investigation that was reported by DC.

November 5, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  28. fahad

I'm a muslim, and i just knew about this tragic story, it saddens all Muslims community because this action CANNOT be acted by a real Muslim.
    I know,No word can really comfort your losses. But please accept my sincere condolences on your loss.

My prayers go out to you all.

November 5, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  29. Karina Hall

As a spouse of a current soldier who is about to get deployed, it is devistating to think being home is now as unsafe for our fellow heroes, our troops. It is unsafe for our troops to be where it is their own home and safety zone. May they be safe here and overseas.

November 5, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  30. Sandy

If members of Hassan's unit and/or gov't agencies were aware of his comments and blogs about suicide bombers, etc., why wasn't something done to get him off duty until this was investigated? It's pretty scary that someone like this was charged with helping our soldiers with PTSD!

November 5, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  31. Jan St Louis,Mo

I have 2 Nephews serving in Iraq. I can't imagine the grief the families must be facing right now. My prayers are with you.

November 5, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  32. Emily

@Dori,
    Love your post 3 things to do! (I'd 2nd that)
    Right on point! 😀

November 5, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  33. SFC Hector Rodriguez Jr

Our prayers go out to the families of fallen at Ft. Hood, its sad when servicemen and woman who have been in combat in Iraq and afganistan for year or more or preparing to deploy overseas are gunned down in cold blood by a senior leader is charged with healing not hurting.

November 5, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  34. Bryan

Lets add one more reason for soldiers not to open up about PTSD

November 5, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  35. Jessica

I heard that the MP's at Fort Hood were sent off base for training, and that there was a "skeleton" crew covering. I'm wondering if this WAS planned, because it seems quite coincidental that this happened today when the MP's were gone. Does anyone else know anything else about this?

November 5, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  36. Mariah

As a muslim born in america. I hope and pray that we not focus on his religioun and maybe look at the core of the problem.
    He could of been truly sick mentally, like many of our solders that have come from war or have to go to war.
    Its scary that some news station are calling it a terror act because his name. Dont condem the religion lets just condem the person. That is wha t I did when Timothy Mcvey did his thing.

I ray for the fallen soldiers and pray for the family that lost them.

November 5, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  37. jason

If soilder are walking around without weaponds how did he get two

November 5, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  38. Sharon Haley

This is a very sad day for all involved..I am among those that prefer to withhold judgement until all the facts are known..To imply that this is a terrorist act simply because the shooter is Muslim is not gainful..I am sure it causes problems for many of Muslim descent who certainly do not deserve condemnation any more than anyone else does. Please do not judge all people by the acts of one sick individual. This is where prejudice begins.

November 5, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  39. Dori

how many bullits are in each hand gun? possibly 44 shots, from 2 guns.

November 5, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  40. Dalia

Maj Hasan had a chance to be chaptered out of the army, he clearly had a statement to make by staying in and committing this heinous act. How did he remain in service with such character flaws such as poor work performance and blatant stance against what we serve our country for?

November 5, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  41. Fay

As a Proud Muslim American I am appalled at this so called Muslim's actions. Its is astonishing how this man would kill the very people that he was dedicated to protect. May God be with the families of the victims; we are praying for you all.

November 5, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  42. Renee

@ Cassidy: Many thanks to you and your dear husband for all you both have done for our fine country. Give your husband an extra hug or two tonight. Tell him we love him and appreciate fine, honorable men.

November 5, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  43. Angel

I think the scariest thing about this Maj is the fact that HE diagnosed and treated people with PTSD when in fact he is a mental case. He will pay for what he has done and I am sorry for his family to have to hear all of this but I seriously think that man should have read the Big Bold print on his Militay application instead of the fine print about his GI bill. If you Sign up and go through the training process Uncle Sam owns you until you finish your terms. Any Imbicile should know this.

November 5, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  44. Dave Elliott in Michigan

I offer prayers to those who are wounded and to the families of those who lost a loved one. I know what it is like. My nephew was lost last year and was a member of the army. He left behind a wife and to two girls, one who will never know her dad. My war was Vietnam. My nephew war was iraq. I hope that this "man" is handled the way he should be.

November 5, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  45. Sully

My heart goes out to those families who lost loved ones today. Still in shock can believe something like this could happen... our american soldiers might have to look at the person in the same uniform as them twice... This brings tears to my eyes... what a sad day!

November 5, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  46. Ronnie

Let us all pray for all of the families that have lost their loved ones. It is in these difficult times that tends to unite us all.

November 5, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  47. Aquila

I am an American muslim, and am so saddaned of today's incident!
    and if he did in the name of Islam, he is so wrong in doing so, my heart goes out to all the victims and their families.
    There are so many law abiding muslims in the world, who condemn and fear these kind of incidents themselves. I don't understand all this....

November 5, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  48. Sarah

Today's event at Fort Hood hurts me. Major Hasan signed up to be in the military. When someone signs up, that means he or she is willing to serve & protect our country. Therefore, he knew if & when the time came, he was going to have to stand up & follow the call. If he didn't want to be deployed, he should not have signed up.

November 5, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  49. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Good night. The stars are bright in the Texas sky tonight. Make a wish~I wish the star of love and peace shines down on you all.
    Xo

November 5, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  50. June S. Smith

I was a young mother in 1966 when Charles Whitman got on top of The University of Texas tower and shot students and others on the ground. He killed 12 and wounded 31. I live in Texas and today was a clear reminder of that day that I will never forget.

November 5, 2009 at 11:20 pm |