November 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/05/09

Tonight, the latest developments on the shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas. 12 people killed and just moments ago we learned the suspected gunman is alive. There were earlier reports he was killed. Stay with us for live coverage through Midnight ET.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Marcy

As being a former person in the military, you do not need to be deployed to have PTSD!!!!! It's ashame because so many people think that you have to be in the danger zone, to develop PTSD. It all comes down to how the soldiers are getting treated within the Military system. What's going to be done to help the soldiers who complain about mistreatment, getting teased, getting punished because they sought out help, etc. Another question is how many soldiers are getting mistreated and how many more people is going to lose their lives, before they start looking more into the complaints from the soldiers. When are they going to stop just brushing it off and taking these complaints serious!!!!

It's not just lower enlisted people that have these problems, it's officers too.

November 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  2. Jason

These guys who shot shoulders at Fort Hood .... Should be Hung for Treason.

November 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  3. Josh

Can you discuss how it was possible for someone to shoot so many rounds with only 2 handguns and hide all that ammo without anyone noticing?

November 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  4. A Campbell

Stating the obvious: "Semi-automatic" weapons are not the same as "fully automatic" weapons. You still have to pull the trigger to discharge each bullet with a semi-auto.

November 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  5. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Renee, we spend 20% of our budget on defense, and the area this happened had a lot of unarmed soldiers.

November 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  6. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@megan @isabel Thank you and may ☮ feed the hearts of world.

November 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton,Ohio

@Renee, I don't understand it! Someone should have taken him out immediately.

November 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Pam - San Diego, CA

The base is 300 + acres big.

November 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Jeff

Why a MD would do something like this is truly disturbing.

November 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  10. Jane - Vt

Good evening. This is just awful. My son is at a base in Louisiana training for deployment. This really brings home what my family is in for the next year.

November 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  11. Shawn Hendricks - Fairplay, MD

That soldier-on-soldier fragging a few years ago foreshadowed this. In recent years, attention to internal rumblings has probably prevented more incidents than we imagine. Still, better attention needs to be paid.

November 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  12. Brandon - Olympia, WA

What happened to the 2 "shooters" who were also in custody? No mention of them now?

November 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  13. Wanda

People outside the military are fast to pin this on Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), however, how was this guy suffering from PTSD when he has allegedly never been deployed. Also, if he didn’t want to be deployed why in God’s world did he join the military? This war is not new; we've been on this for over six years. In addition, my husband has been deployed 3 times; currently serving in Iraq, yet this bozo has never been there??? Hummm….there is something wrong with the system. Yet he kills people who have served proudly for their county in harm’s way, not in some office in a hospital with air and heater. This is NOT PTSD!!!!

November 5, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  14. nancy"s

i think this doctor was a sleeper...we need to stop letting these pepole in our country

November 5, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  15. Erika McKnight

I am appalled and disgutsed that a man who killed his fellow soldiers so brutally and soulessly is given the right to have his good name defended!!! Are you kidding me. My husband basically lives over there every other year and now my Marine son will most likely take his turn, and I'm supposed to feel sorry for a man that could of done this to one of them? I think NOT!!! He killed innocent men, spilled American blood on American soil and I don't care if his name is kicked in the mud. Good for him he deserves worse!!!

November 5, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  16. Renee

@ Jo Ann: Same thoughts I have had. Husband said I am nuts to speculate. How do we spend 50% of our national budget on defense and no one could take him down today? Why is he still alive?

November 5, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  17. Pam - San Diego, CA

The guy wanted to leave the military too.

November 5, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  18. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Yes, We need peace ☮ so much!

November 5, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  19. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Mike Yanez, I wouldn't bet against you. Each piece of new info adds to the likelihood that this is domestic terrorism.

November 5, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  20. starr, formerly known as vincent

Q Isabel

I am a child of the military (my Dad put in 33 yrs in our military).

You are exactly right. Our bases are often our homes and we always felt safest on base. So an incident like this one is really shocking.

Now, many service persons and their famiies may not feel safe Anywhere!

November 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  21. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

What did motivate the attack?

November 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX
    My thoughts and prayers with you too, HUGS!

November 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  23. sheila

why did he do it?

November 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi. It's very sad to hear of the sudden shootings at Fort Hood. It's unfortunate for anyone to be subjected to such an incident. With the suspect shooter still living, at least there is a chance of finding answers as to his motive and mental state. My prayers are with all those affected by the tragedy.

November 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Renee

@ Military Men and Women: Does the military system has an anonymous tip line for soldiers to report stange actions to superiors? Not sure of the military protocol or is that considered insubordination.

November 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Merrily

I heard the shooter was dead, where does it say he is alive?

November 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton,Ohio

I can't believe that this guy would be able to shoot so many people in a place where guns and expert marksmen are so readily available.

November 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Barbara in Boston

In addition to the horror of the deaths and injuries, my heart goes out to Dr. Hasan's patients. Mental health patients need to trust that their therapists will provide a safe place for them to bring their deepest vulnerabilities. Dr. Hasan's actions have shattered that safety to an unbelievable degree.

November 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Amy

I was on post at the time of this shooting a few blocks from where it happened. My heart goes out to those families who lost loved ones today.

November 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Pam - San Diego, CA

I never thought something like this would happen on a base.

November 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I couldn't understand why he had shooting people, being scared of gun. There is not safe place to shoot... I think they have no carry guns there. That is so sad for our troops lost one dear.

November 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Shawn Hendricks - Fairplay, MD

Just crazy.

November 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  33. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I am a sad Texan tonight. My flag is flying half mast. let us pray for the families and for peace~☮

November 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Kathy Chicago

This is a real shocker. I hadn't seen any news all day.

November 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Monica M. Williams

When I heard of the Fort Hood shooting, I expected it to involved a young soldier who snapped. Maybe outsiders trying make a statement against the current administration. But the base psychiatrist who didn't want to go to Afghanistan? – never a thought.

Suspicion of derelicts is expected. But this man had a suitable record in writing. You don't suspect the well educated man with a pedigree background to turn on this brothers. How do you prepare for that enemy? Answer: You can't.

November 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Renee

Unbelievable! How many others are sick like this? Very sad.

November 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Mike Yanez

Anderson/Erica,
    If i was a betting man in Vegas, I'd bet this has something to do with his last name(Islamic).....no matter how ridiculous or dumb it sounds, if I were betting in Vegas, the odds are in my favor.

November 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

No one really expect something like this happens inside a military base. It's so scary!

November 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  39. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hello Anderson, Erica & entire Team 360.

Hello to my fellow bloggers.

Devistating news from Fort Hood...my family and me are sending our thoughts & prayers to victims & all families and friends affected.

November 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Cessy, Chicago IL

Hi Anderson and 360 staff!

November 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Pam - San Diego, CA

And the shooter is alive. wow!

November 5, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and all bloggers. This tragedy is so shocking. My heart goes out to all involved and to all those family and friends of those killed. Prayers for those who are wounded. I believe they will find out what happened and why.

November 5, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Wait, he's a Muslim who has spoken out against the US policy, wanted to get out of deploying, and has said Muslims shouldn't fight Muslims, and we say there's no evidence this was terrorism?

November 5, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Happy Thursday Night!!!!! HUGS!!
    That is so breaking heart for me to see so horrible volience to shooting people 31 hurt and 12 killed including gunman is actually alive, My thoughts and prayers with Fort Hood, TX people, friends, & families! 🙁

November 5, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

Good evening everyone. What a tragic day.

November 5, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Pam - San Diego, CA

That shooting is something else.

November 5, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!. This is so sad.

November 5, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. LorenaR

condolences and sympathy to all involved in this horrific event today. How ironic, Fort Hood, the largest employer in Texas, and its very substantial contribution to our ill fated war in Iraq, (500 casualties) and now it has to face this.

November 5, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. mindy

Hi everyone,

Happy November!

November 5, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Hi friends: Anderson, Erica, David (Indiana) and bloggers!

Sad news today! My condolences to the families and friends of the dead in Fort Hood.

November 5, 2009 at 10:00 pm |