November 5th, 2009

How to help Fort Hood victims

Fort Hood is a transition point for troops who have served overseas.

AC360°

The following are locations accepting blood donations to help with the tragic violence at Fort Hood:

1. All Austin Area Seton Medical Centers

Click here for a map to find the location nearest you.

* University Medical Center Brackenridge

1201 West 38th Street
Austin, TX 78705

* Seton Edgar B. Davis Hospital
phone: 830.875.7000
130 Hays Street
Luling, TX 78648

Find more locations here...

Filed under: Fort Hood Shooting
  1. Nancy M California

This is too close to home...as the news came trinckling down this afternoon, I was shocked to know some of our own Soldiers from South El Monte, CA Army Reserve Unit were at the same Base getting ready to deploy over sees on the same date. My heart sunk to hear of the news...this unit arrived barely in January of 2009 and some soldiers were eager to go back and serve there country again. As I attend next weeks Veterans Service here in our city...it will be yet another reminder of how much we need to value our soldiers. Love them and communicate with them , understand them as much as we can because they are still Soldiers and we do not know how much internally they must endure. My prayers are with all the families involved and for all the soldiers and families of those who are serving and have served. I went into my own PTSD as I waited for my Soldier to come home last year...the fear I relived immediately and the tears have not stopped since this afternoon.

Thank you for reporting and giving us so valuable detail news.

Take care...

Sincerely,
    Nancy M
    South El Monte, CA

November 6, 2009 at 3:21 am |
  2. SGT Barnhart, Adam

I am currently on deployment right now in Iraq and I turned on the TV this morning and saw the massacre at Ft Hood and my heart goes out to the friends and families.

November 6, 2009 at 1:44 am |
  3. Lisa

Can I give blood or anything if I do not live in TX.?

November 6, 2009 at 1:43 am |
  4. Linda Pearce

i have a friend in Texas a U.S.army soldier who served in Iraq, i was concerned for him, im not sure where or what Fort he is at..

November 6, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  5. SPC Triscari

I just want to say I spent about 2 1/2 yrs at FT Hood and just resently got back from Iraq 8 mths ago, my family and myself wanna send our condolences to the victims and their families.

November 5, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Katie Evans Kelley PhD NCACII

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    The Fort Hood incident has a intense if not trumatic affect on all who have a heart and soul. I am completing reserch and my second book on PTSD. Military Taruma and Addiction:The unfortunate Hero will be finished and not out until next year. While those of us who treat military survivors may not suffer the acute PTSD than that of the soldier, we do suffer vicrious truma, I have spent 30 years listening to the details of truma. I know my own stomach is sick by this terror. The Psychiatrisst who alledagly murdered so many is no doubt a damanged man. PTSD, paranoia psychosis leads to homocyde and suicide. I am aware of other bases where mental health profesionals who have suicided who never have served in the militaary. I am married to a retired military sargent and a step son who both stiill suffer from PTSD> Many mental health people are afraid to treat military PTSD> Treating the rage, pain leads to a lack of true experts serving our troops. The PC comments from some :experts is ridiculous and dishonors all soldiers. This is a trumatic day, someone knew this man needed to be oon the other side of the desk at the mental health center. I pray for the therapist at Fort Hoood who will now need their own support. Where are their voices??? Dr. Evans

November 5, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Victor C. Herrera

My heart goes out to the families of the victims. This is disgrace but it just goes to show you how our soldiers are under so much stress and are frustrated about doing several tours in a war zone. I am a vet and think we need to get out of that part of the world. God Bless all the families of the victims.

November 5, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  8. Syreeta

In light of this tragedy, I want to send my prayers and condolences out to all the families affected by this senseless act of violence. The only thing I do not understand is how he got onto a 'secure' base with 2 loaded weapons......

November 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Nia

my family and i are stationed in ft.lewis wa. i cannot imagine what these families are going through. my prayers go out to you all. i am curious to know why none of these soldiers did not try to stop this man?

November 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Katelyn

Not all of these locations are taking blood so I would call before you go to any of these location.....I have called a couple of these locations and they said they are not taking blood donations and that the place in central Austin that is taking blood is closed for the night.

November 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm |