November 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/03/09

Tonight on 360° get election results from the best political team on T.V. Anderson, Wolf Blitzer, John King and many others are on hand to run through the big races and get a pulse on American politics.

Scroll down to join the live chat during our two-hour live coverage of the election. This is your chance to share your thoughts on the voting results. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Heather - Spokane, WA

Billionaires consider being called a millionaire an offense? Im not rich but if anyone called me a millionaire I would take it as a compliment

November 3, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  2. Mark in CA

@ken, I think the administration needs to look in the mirror for getting their 'mandate' wrong. Obama campaigned in the middle, and on day two, moved to the far left. It isn't just the 'right' who's torqued at the bait and switch. The man promised to be bipartisan and then handed the reigns to his attack dogs on the left. He stays all soft and well spoken, ever the statesman, but it's his strategy that's backfiring.

November 3, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  3. starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Jason for such a comprehensive explanation of what was going on in NYC mayors race. I did not know about the term limits situation., It should have been up to the people of NYC!

November 3, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    You're doing great job tonight, So busy night for you...... Nice job for 2 hours now, I know you're so tired tonight.

November 3, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  5. EM

Good Night Anderson, Gergen, Erica, Roland and the rest of AC360 team and bloggers, good talk tonight!

November 3, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  6. Emily

well, Bloomberg may have spent alot of money however, if he was not popular and the majority did NOT want him there, he would not have been re-elected.

people can VOTE with their FEET!
    Money means nothing when the "power is with the people"!
    they are the ones that had the power tonight!!

November 3, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  7. starr, formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana

Point well taken. I thought that the tape of that young soldier may have provoked a false admission. So hard to tell.

I grew up in the military. Military members, especially when at war, are so often put into confusing and conflicting situations. It is never black and white and often they only have seconds to make decisions that my haunt them the rest of their lives.

November 3, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  8. Emily

@starr,
    that was a great point that Ari made, and I think that he made alot of sense....I wish that we heard more people like him, and some of the other CNN correspondents, as it's "the noise" and 'talk show' hosts that get the air time, and there really are valid points to be made!

November 3, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  9. Dodie ~ California

Emily:

In the government, it is not about sex... male or female... it is about what GS number you are. If you are a GS 9 you get this amount of money, if you are a GS 11 you get this amount of money.

Its too bad the private industry does Not follow the same format!

November 3, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  10. Cameryn

I totally agree that if 2 people of any sex love each other and want to marry each other they should have the right to do so. I can not stand it when republicans say because it is stated in the Bible that marriage is between a man and a woman it also states till death do you part then divorce should not be illegal when will they learn that you cant pick and chose if you go by what the Bible says then you need to follow everything it says. Why do you care anyway if their not asking you to join them then its none of your business I am a woman who has been married to the same man for 19 years if I have the right to be happy they everyone else does too

November 3, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  11. Ken

I'll be the first to admit that the president has been slow to get things done, but he has had barriers put in place by the other party to contribute to that. The funny thing is that his plodding is a result of him not wanting to ruffle too many feathers.

In doing so, he still gets attacked and can't win for losing. I guess that it's to be expected. He kind of dug his own ditch trying to appease people who weren't going to be appeased anyway. If he just governed the way he truly feels, he'd probably be much more successful, the economy might have improved sooner, and today's elections may have turned out differently. Oh well, live and learn.

November 3, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  12. Karen

Does anyone else just want to scream? He could have "controlled Congress"? In what dimension? Maybe if he tried to be a Nixon and blackmail, scare, and use any dirty underhanded way to do it. Otherwise, who can possibly control Congress?

November 3, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  13. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Dodie, I totally agree. If two people of the same sex get married who are they hurting? No one! And thats what I keep hearing from conservative people is that gay marriage will hurt marriages.

November 3, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  14. Mark in CA

The report on Obama's campaign promises was a soft fluff piece. NO way does Obama get even partial credit for Health Care. And what a lame excuse for his coddling of lobbyists. The man has lobbyists in his administration. That's FAIL big time, not 'bending the rules'. Come on CNN, call it the way it is.

November 3, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  15. Kevin K.

Wait? So the Dems win CA 10 *and* appear to have won NY 23 (for the first time in 70 elections) and this is somehow bad for Obama and the Democratic party? They pick up a seat in the House and this means trouble? Sorry, that makes no sense.

November 3, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  16. starr, formerly known as vincent

Okay, Ari was absolutely right about the appropriations bill. I remember being keenly disappointed with Pres. Obama's explanation that it was a GW bill, not his. Good point Ari.

November 3, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  17. beth l.

Hi Anderson: You are beginning to see the takeback of our precious country!!

November 3, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  18. Emily

Boy, do things take time!!!!

Women are still not even earning the same amount of pay for the same job that a man performs!

Politics is not going to be different!

November 3, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  19. Susie

I live in virginia and did manage to get to the polls to vote for creigh deeds,only because the president asked us too. I have five cousin pookies that live in my house that did not vote today who voted for the president .I could have driven them to the polls and made sure that they voted but I was not that excited about Creigh Deeds.But please dont take this race and turn it into a negative on president obama virginia is a really tough state for democrats to win.and I knew creigh had little chance of pulling it out. but as for the president we all love him and will definitely show up for him in 2012

November 3, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  20. Ron,SC

After the Republicans are swept in, will the people go back and vote for Democrats again if unemployment tops 15%? Why must it be either/or? Why are we limiting our options?

November 3, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  21. Jennifer - AZ

Just because people are starting to register opinions this soon, doesn't mean they should.

November 3, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  22. EM

Many believe overspending is the problem to the falling dollar, had nothing been done the dollar would have a much lower value making energy trade (which is made exclusively in dollars) impossible as the global economy would crumble. Everyone things of objectives and goals but never the PROCESS to achieve that objective. Remember your economics.

November 3, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  23. starr, formerly known as vincent

Anderson, i have to compliment your questions to the panel and their very sensible remarks (for the most part-Ari).

November 3, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  24. Chris Buddenhagen

Surely the public are voting based on local issues, and their knowledge of the candidates rather than sending a message to the president. That is how I vote.

November 3, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  25. Emily

If gays want to serve in the Military, they should just not say anything!!

There are so many things going on, including what David Gergen has described on this blog and that panel on the TV, this DADT Policy, whether you agree or not, it is not the #1 issue! (at this time!)

November 3, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  26. Cam

People always vote with their wallets. In 2012, if the unemployment rate is over 10%, Republicans will be swept back into power. If it's under 8%, the Dems continue to roll. If it's between 8-10%, it will be a dogfight. It will all be about the economy. Tonight, is just a taste.

November 3, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  27. Dave

The contest in upstate New York shows nothing. The Republican candidate that dropped out did so after many people voted absentee.
    It looks like a setup to me. I wonder how much money changed hands to hand this district to the Democrats. You have a liberal Republican that drops out and throws her support to the Democrat? This job was open because the White House was attempting to steal that district. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that some dirty dealing was going on. Such tactics should be beneath freedom-loving people.

November 3, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  28. cmcnabb

As a Virginian, I voted based not on Obama, or on jobs, or on health care. My decision was based on the rapid expansion of the Federal Government. I voted for candidates who believed in a limited Federal government. That said, had their been Libertarian candidates on the ballot I probably would have voted for them instead.

November 3, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  29. Emily

@Danielle,
    I just read what you said about Corzine, and how he lost your vote!
    I wonder just how many people voted against him, or stayed home for the very reason that you described back there at 10:27.

Thanks for your insight. 🙂

November 3, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  30. Ron,SC

We lost a huge part of what made us a great nation when we allowed the federal government more power than the individual states. That was the one controlling cap to federal government overindulgence. We are paying the price NOW for changing the balance of power 144 years ago.

November 3, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  31. David, Indiana

@Emily and Starr yes a very sad incident being investigated on that video, but what is that a pressured admission?

Ari Fleischer is right that losing two governorships two big hits for the dems, but I think it's just incredibly hard to run away from your party's President, that's what happened to Presidential candidates, John McCain ran into that problem.

Good pt by Pamela Gentry, jobs increase and the discussion changes. The panel is in firm agreement on that.

November 3, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Come on, does anyone believe that Obama is not watching the results tonight? If he isn't, that means that he doesn't have an interest in what is happening to this country. That is irresponsible!

November 3, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  33. Dodie ~ California

Heather and Starr

I am very disappointed in my state! Everyone seems so concerned and make "value" judgments on other people. What ever happened to live and let live?? Why do people worry about gay marriage? If it makes the couple happy and they are not hurting anyone else, why not?

November 3, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Heather – Spokane, WA
    Agreed! It will pass soon I hope!

November 3, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  35. Brian

As far as New Jersey is concerned: Booker 2013! Nuff said!

November 3, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  36. EM

@Susan the reason things are slow in Congress is that the goal of bipartisanship sought by Dems is met by Rep senators with adolescent tantrums rather than constructive criticizism

November 3, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  37. Emily

@starr,
    I heard in Randi Kayes report that there are but 6 States including Maine that have same-sex marriage!
    That is interesting....I think that LGBT should have the right to be as miserable as the rest of us, however, there are so many other issues right now.
    Many believe that this should be a State by State issue....
    Lets see what happens!

November 3, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  38. Francesca

Ari has it right. I am a dissatisfied Democrat mainly because of the of President and his team's overspending. And, the my way or the highway attitude especially from Pelosi and Reid. I will register as an Independent. My father will turn over in his grave, but if he were alive , I am sure that her will do the same. My two daughters feel the same way.

November 3, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  39. Lori

I just want to say good night. Sweet dreams. I am so tired.

November 3, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  40. Dodie ~ California

@ Starr

I totally agree with you. I just do not understand why other people have to be so concerned at who is marrying whom.... It is an equal rights issue. It would be the same as saying... because you are Christian, you can not marry a Jewish person.

Its just plain stupid. People need to get out of each others' business....

November 3, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  41. Metshafe

Popular vote should not be the method to affirm or repeal the current pending state law of same sex marriage. This sort of ruling is best handled through state legislation where influences and campaigns from out-of-state residents cannot reach or sway the final decision.

November 3, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  42. Greg, NYC

Pat from Ohio, I could not agree more. Politicians must stop spending money we do not have. How about tyring to pass a law where the federal gov. cannot spend what we dont have. Our government behaves like an immature individual. We need a strong dollar(economy) to stay the only superpower in the world.
    Thanks.

November 3, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  43. Robert Manship

@ Craig from Old Town

That's what I thought. Rural areas always seem to be ultra-conservative and Urban areas always seem to be more liberal.

November 3, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  44. Heather - Spokane, WA

I hope the same sex bill here in Washington State will pass. I have friends who will benefit alot from it

November 3, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  45. Emily

Great to see that Michael Bloomberg has won.
    I wonder how he would do if he ran for the Presidency as an Independent or Libertarian?

November 3, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  46. starr, formerly known as vincent

I am so praying that Maine will elect same sex marriage = equal rights for everyone.

I don't understand Why it is so hard for people to see that same sex marriage is an equal rights issue!

November 3, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  47. EM

@ Pat im a Democrat but I agree with much of what you said

November 3, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  48. Jennifer - AZ

Go MAINE!

November 3, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  49. Emily

How many States have legalized same-sex marriage?

November 3, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  50. David, Indiana

@Starr I am not surprised people in upstate New York don't like to be told what to do, people here are like that too. I've been up there once when I was a kid, very beautiful. Enjoy your thoughful to the pt posts too.

He stabbed himself because he didn't want to go to work at blockbuster video? Why didn't he call in?

November 3, 2009 at 11:24 pm |