November 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/03/09

Tonight on 360° get election results from the best political team on T.V. Anderson, Wolf Blitzer, John King and many others are on hand to run through the big races and get a pulse on American politics.

Scroll down to join the live chat during our two-hour live coverage of the election. This is your chance to share your thoughts on the voting results. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Jo Ann, N. Royalton OH

We could also see some real "talent" enter the political field too.

As it is right now, almost no one can run for office unless they are independently wealthy or have huge financial support from others (to whom they are then beholdened to). And the circle goes around and around.

It would be refreshing to see who would run for office if money was publically provided and the same amount for everyone.

November 3, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  2. Lori

what will happen if the final vote in Main stays at 50/50?

November 3, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  3. Emily

@Robert,
    That info has not yet been released.....

P.S. Scottish & English accents are the best!

November 3, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  4. Craig from Old Town, Maine

@ Robert Manship

near 50% of the vote in, its mainly city areas in the rural hand counters havent reported usually here in maine, the count is slow and the rural areas are usually the last to report. the way its been going the rural areas been favoring to ban gay marriage. the city areas have been huge in favor of gay marriage. I can see a recount if it stays this close. the ads on tv have been completely awful more like scare tatics in all of the ads.

November 3, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  5. Jatovi

@Erica Hill
    I too know of individuals who do the same however, in general, especially dealing with these local elections, doesn't it seem as if most voter vote party lines?

November 3, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  6. bea

@Maria. Blue dogs are just doing what liberal democrats are doing. They are looking out for their own locales. As for Obama's coalition, it was fragile from the start. It is too diverse to hold together for too long.

November 3, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  7. Heather - Spokane, WA

I take it the guy who stabbed himself because he didnt want to go to work was sick of calling in sick? What a dumb donkey

November 3, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Erica,
    Nice see you.....I agree with you and Anderson...... talked about accent sex in the world, Irish is number one.... I disagree Irish accent......

November 3, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  9. Robert Manship

With same sex marriage in Maine – Does anyone know if the vote is split with the bigger cities supporting same sex marriage and the rural areas against?

PS. I like the Italian accent best!

November 3, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  10. Emily

How can SO many rapes and murdered bodies go without being found?
    Was there no one looking for them?

What a sick story!

November 3, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  11. Lucy

This election isn't about Obama.
    We don't trust the government any more.
    As a senior citizen I will speak for many.
    Millions out of work. Lawmakers vote themselves a huge raise.
    SS frozen for next year and medicare threatened.
    Just wait until next year. We'll be out in force at the poles.

November 3, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  12. Jeff

I think that these are local races and cannot be "nationalized" so easily.

November 3, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  13. cindy

I'm a voter in VA and when I cast my vote today I was sending a message to washington, .I'm angery about the gov't making a terrible health care bill and their superior attitude toward the american people as tho we are children to be seen and not heard.We have the power,and they better realize it if they want to keep their job!

November 3, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  14. Maria

I don't agree with Ari at all! Surprise! 'Blue Dogs' are the ones who need to walk away from tonight with a lesson learned and get behind the President. The coalition the the President and Howard Dean brought to the polls are not 'traditional' voters' but were folks that actually were fed up with 'politics as usual' and we see it now in how this health care debate is playing out. The MAJORITY of Americans want health care reform - a public option. I fault the President for not taking the lead. Americans would have followed. Instead we were all exposed to how 'sausage is made' in Congress and all of the lobbyist paying for it.

November 3, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  15. Pat from Ohio

I am a republican who is disgusted with her party as well as the wild spending democrats in Congress. Republicans better not miss read this election cycle. This is a message to all incumbents.....you will not listen to the people you will be voted out. Stop the big spending and tighten your belts and engage and listen and do what the American people are saying. If not you Washinton politicians are in for big losses in 2010.

November 3, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I prefer the French accent myself.

November 3, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  17. Deborah

What's clear to me is Republicans could care less about those who are less fortunate...they only think of themselves and their pocketbook...

November 3, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  18. Emily

@Heather,
    Thanks, you are right about that...thanks for reminding me!
    I can understand that....

November 3, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  19. Karen

Well, it will be interesting to see the republicans take everything and then still go on with no leader. They have nothing but a lot of whining as far as I can tell. I'm just frustrated that people will *believe* that any of these local elections mean something and allow fatigue to set in. Why is American so self defeating?

November 3, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  20. Nhu-Uyen Khuong

Obama-mama here, NJ voter, voted for Daggett. Many independents wanted to, but didn't knowing he wouldn't win - "Waste of time". Nothing to do with Obama, Dems, or GOP rising. All about NJ prop. taxes!

November 3, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Casey Jones – Palm Springs, CA, Absolutely! I could never understand why the American people do not demand this. We would really get a good look at how talented the candidates are at managing finances addressing a specific task.

November 3, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  22. Dodie ~ California

people need to look at how long it took after the depression to recover. The stock market did not completely rebound back to the level of 1928 until 1956, Does anyone realize how many years that is. Obama is trying to take on this feat in a 4 year term. It is just impossible to recover this fast!

November 3, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  23. Chris Cullen

Neither side should over-react. The Republicans need to be 'good' winners - that will go alot further than getting overly wound up and coming across as poor winners. The Dems need no try to 'down play' so much. Accept it, be good sports and move on.
    Chris Cullen / Corpus Christi

November 3, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  24. Emily

I would like to know which "American" accent came in #10!
    There are different 'accents' all over the US...people from Texas do not have the same accent as those from the Bronx, or NY in general!

November 3, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  25. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Emily, Irish was voted #1, French was #4 (I believe)

November 3, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  26. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ JoAnn & Casey Jones

Excellent point regarding campaign finances. If everyone was playing on a "level" field, we the people, might finally benefit from our government.

November 3, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  27. George G

The Republican pick up of VA and NJ show that the movement of change that Obama promised the country has not seen. No decision on Afghanistan, job rates still high, and lack banking reform shows no 'Change'. I campaigned for Obama.

November 3, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  28. ericacnn

@Jatovi – that answer very much depends on the individual voter. I know people who do both proudly.

November 3, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  29. Craig from Old Town, Maine

The Gay Marriage race here in maine is down to a dead heat 50-50 only less than 200 votes seperate. being a resident of maine, this has been a mud slinging war...and its only beginning.

November 3, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  30. brian

Thankfully....NJ exhibited common sense today....unlike during the presidential election...rock and roll! Congrats Christie!

November 3, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  31. Ron,SC

As to using personal money to support a campaign, that's a lot better than relying on financing funneled through the two campaign machines that have monopolized the whole electoral process.

November 3, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  32. Dave D

This isn't one party beating the other party. It's American beating American.
    The trick...don't politicize the outcome and get these people to work together.

Dave
    PGH. PA.

November 3, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  33. Emily

@David Gergen,
    Great to see you on the Blog tonight....
    Do you really think that the economy, unemployment would have improved in only a year? ...the worst that it has been since that Great Depression? (and right after the Dot Com boom?!)

Health Care is for sure playing a fact, and I think that the fact that Pres. Obama has yet to make a decision on Afghanistan is not helping him.

He has great commanders providing him with info....and there has yet to be a decision and so many different opinions on that, however, Obamas is the one that matters!

November 3, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  34. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Jo Ann...I completely agree about campaign financing. If the candidates all had the same limitations it would indicate who has better fiscal business sense, dont you think?

November 3, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am surprised that Irish is number one, but America is number 10 sex in the world..... I wish I vote France best one in the world.

November 3, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  36. Ken

Greg says people have short memories...hmmm, he's right. President Bush was deemed the worse president in history and his party was in the doldrums less than a year ago and yet people vote for Republicans again.

Republicans should not celebrate too much because they only win when a majority of the population does not turn out, which is what happens in non-presidential years. That's something for Republicans to be proud of?

November 3, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I really don't like the idea that these candidates are allowed to use their own money to run. It is the same thing as buying an election. The person with the most money is not always the best candidate, in fact, they are often the worst.

I think there should be a set amount of money candidates are allowed to spend and whoever spends their 100 dollars the best is the one who deserves to win.

November 3, 2009 at 11:07 pm |
  38. Deborah

Ken, you are so right...I wish NJ a lot of luck with Christie...so glad we have Bloomberg...yes, I can support a republican when they get the job done...

November 3, 2009 at 11:07 pm |
  39. Emily

so, they are looking to overturn same sex marriage in Maine?
    that is looking really close....I wonder what that final result will be?

November 3, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

David Gergen,
    Hello, Nice see you on live blog tonight, I agree with you, too. And you're welcome.

November 3, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  41. EM

I don't think this truly has THAT great of an impact because many people that voted for Obama's campaign did not vote ie young voters and Minorities so with that said their is a false notion that Republicans are turning things around...

November 3, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  42. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ David, Indiana

I have relatives in up state NY, and i know from experience that they do Not like be told what they should do...they are very independent people. And, you're are, of course, right, that district has its own issues and local advertisements.

I always enjoy your posts as they are so thoughtful and level headed.

November 3, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  43. Emily

@Dodie,
    I agree with you re. the Parties...I'm surprised that a third party has not emerged from this....

November 3, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  44. Rebekah

I'm gonna have to disagree with that poll. Irish is the sexiest accent? No. Definitely Swedish. And I'm actually surprised Americans made the list since we always get made fun of and *ahem* we have no accent as Anderson pointed out.
    Interesting nonetheless.

Great coverage tonite, CNN! keep up the good work. especially all of you at AC360.

I'll keep watching into the 11 o'clock hour.

November 3, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  45. Emily

@Heather,
    I'm surprised that French was #1.
    I would have voted for English or Scottish....I know that Italian is very popular, yet French?
    Maybe it does have something to do with Pepe Le Pew! 😀

November 3, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  46. Ken

Even though the president has disappointed his supporters, these races have little to do with him. People assign blame to an incumbent party and that was the Dems in the two states, so they did not win, but a party also has to have compelling candidates and the Dems did not in VA and NJ.

Good luck to those states though. Nothing will improve for the middle and working class under Republicans...I think that history has proven this.

November 3, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  47. Jatovi

My big question is how do people vote, party lines or for someone that can improve their situation?

November 3, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  48. Sean

the best thing for the Democrats now would be to LOSE the NY election there. that would say alot about the Republican civil war.

November 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

The shot is so funny I have seen!! LOL!!! Wow!!! poor man get stuck, when shelves fall both sides. Nice shot!

November 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  50. Emily

@ Jennifer – AZ

re. "Baggage Bandits" (some people!)

That was funny! 😛
    might say alot about those whose luggage they took however!

November 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |