November 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/03/09

Tonight on 360° get election results from the best political team on T.V. Anderson, Wolf Blitzer, John King and many others are on hand to run through the big races and get a pulse on American politics.

Scroll down to join the live chat during our two-hour live coverage of the election. This is your chance to share your thoughts on the voting results. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Heather - Spokane, WA

I figured French would still be the sexiest accent. Isnt that why Peppy Le Pew was popular? And what a waste of good vodka!

November 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Dodie ~ California

Starr

Right on the money. I think Congress is all worried about themselves and can not be concerned about us due to wanting to be re-elected.

This is just all backwards to me...

November 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Greg, NYC

The todays elections show that we as a nation have short term memory. Everyone says that these are local elections and do not refletct president Obama. I disagree. President Obama went way to the left and people are sharing their frustration. I am one of them. I voted for Obama change. This is not the change I was looking for. Spending billions of dollars which we do not have.
    Thanks

November 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  4. David, Indiana

@Starr it wouldn't surprise me, district elections have to do with how a candidate connects w/people in his her district, there's lots of coverage radio newspapers etc, somewhat tighter in NY now 46 to 49%

@Susan, dems were the majority in congress all during Reagan's presidency that worked out fine.

Erica, that is surprising given how close the NY mayoral election is, maybe that's why it's so close?

November 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I wonder if there are alcohol fumes in that warehouse? I mean do you think the forklift operator could have been a little light-headed?

November 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! "Enjoy the night!"

November 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  7. mbrown

Wow, NJm a huge Dem state just voted in a Republican!!
    Hope that Republican helps NJ out and doesn't make more messes.

November 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  8. david gergen

Hello everyone -

Thanks for joining in tonight - some very interesting results. It is true, as some of you have pointed out, that local factors were important in determining the outcome of the governors' races in Va and NJ. But there were also some national factors at play - a rough economy, unemployment still going up, some souring about the President's policy agenda, etc. And that is influencing our interpretations here - perhaps more than they should. Thanks for letting us know your views.

November 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Emily

OUCH!!!
    That shot, even I can feel that pain.

November 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Dodie ~ California

So sad for a father to kill his own daughter because he did not like her life style. Especially since he was living in the USA. Now I call that really stupid.

November 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  11. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ Erica, i am glad that Mayor Bloomberg will stay that way. He has certainly represented to the country that he is serious, level headed and a leader....i hope you are happy too.

On the health care issue...our Rep's & Sen's need to grow a spine and do something good for the American people, instead of worrying about their re-election.

Well, i can always hope they will do that.

November 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  12. EM

NYC Mayor race was really close....

November 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  13. Neil

Anderson – could many of the votes for Scozzafava be absentee ballots cast before she dropped out?

November 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Heather - Spokane, WA

Why would anyone want to steal 50 pieces of luggage? Are they looking for better undewear?

November 3, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Jennifer - AZ

Baggage Bandits. I hope they got lots of dirty laundry.

November 3, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yay!!!!!! Michael Bloomberg winner as position mayor of NYC! Finally!

November 3, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  17. starr, formerly known as vincent

The interview of the young soldier....heart rending.

November 3, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Emily

That four part series looks like it's going to be very revealing.
    I don't believe that it's the norm of the men and women in the Military, so when seeing this, it's very disturbing!

November 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Dodie ~ California

@ Emily

I completely agree. This is why I am a libertarian. I was just disgusted with both parties...

November 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Emily

This tape that Anderson is showing is very sad!
    Did he shot someone(s) on Purpose?!
    I hope not!

November 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  21. starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Erica for your explanation re: NYC mayors race.

I think you are right that these smaller elections perhaps do not generate the "excitement" of the "national" elections.

However, given how important ALL elections are, i remain surprised that the American people still don't seem to "get it".

November 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  22. Jatovi

I do feel that politics has gotten extremely out of control. We've gotten to a point where it's all about the election. When a politician gets elected their focus becomes how to get re-elected and not how to work or fix things. Even worse when they try to fix things they are criticized. Even worse than that we never accept that other can be right so we only believe those with who we agree with.

November 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  23. Lori

You are doing a wonderful job tonight. I am really enjoying the discussion and opinions.

November 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  24. Russ

Roland Martin doesn't get it either. How many people do we have in office now that do know what the issues are, have ivy league degrees and still do nothing to fix the problems, DEMS and REP.

November 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Kathy - Illinois

David – You mentioned the possibility danger for President Obama may be the perception of the big government. I was wondering how could have these issues been dealt with differently without providing the government response?

November 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Heather - Spokane, WA

Im surprised any republican candidate would want Palin to help them out due to her own stunts that made people lose respect for her and she messed up her own chances for any type of political career for her in the future by quitting two years into a five year position.

November 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Rich- Florida

Good Evening Anderson!

Watching the votes tonight and the swing in the states from Dems to GOP. Have we created the shift by reporting the dire straits of the economy? Can we really say that any administration can turn these big problems around in 10 months. Perception is reality and the the reality for people is...The economy is bad...people are angry at the government and Obama and the Democrats are now the target for that anger!

November 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  28. Jennifer - AZ

Evening everyone!

Oh yes, please, the GOP surely needs to be more conservative. Maybe I need to double check that word in the dictionary.

November 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  29. David, Indiana

Roland's analysis of the NJ Gov race spot on. Christine Whitman was gov only a few years ago. Also two dem govs consecutively could lead to republican candidate making major headway.

This discussion on Maine is interesting. If states go back and forth on same sex marriage people will go crazy.

November 3, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Lori

Maybe voters are really disgusted.

November 3, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Emily

@Angela,
    btw,
    this is also why you are now hearing more about Libertarians.

November 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Anthony (Chicago)

Republicans represent fiscal responsibiltiy right ? Boy I was born at night but not last night, how quickly we forget...

November 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Anthonia-Bay Area!

@Angela- I am extremely elated that the LA judge resigned because he was being racist and unfair towards interracial couples!

November 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Kathy Chicago

An interesting day in politics. Harry Reid's statement was surprising. Elections were surprising.

November 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  35. ericacnn

@Casey – I agree I was only there for a small window, though the fact that it was lunch-time struck me.

@Starr – not sure people necessarily think anyone has done anything "wrong", but it does seem that local elections - even one which has big implications for the City's leadership - don't tend to draw nearly the same crowd as large national elections ...in my experience/completely unscientific view 😉

November 3, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  36. susan

Maybe, just maybe this will slow down this race for healthcare reform enough to do some common sense things like torte reform and natural competition by allowing people to actually shop their insurance in a free market. Competition within the free market hasn't even been tried!

November 3, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Emily

@Angela,
    It's a Republican with religious values!
    Many republicans are 'conservative', however, it's usually thought of in a fiscal manner ....now it's become a Complete way of life!

November 3, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Susan

Obama won with independents who voted for him because of Bush, not for big government spending. The Dems have misinterpreted that election as a referendum on their agenda. If they continue to ignore the average americans that showed up at their town hall meetings, 2010 elections will be the same as tonight.

November 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I did vote our pres. Obama last year, I know it is very difficult for Republicans to vote say no bill our health-care..... I think might have losing democrats to defeat.

November 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  40. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hi Dodie CA

I'm glad you agree about NJ. I also don't feel that any of these elections have too much to do with Pres. Obama per se.

The election that i think will matter is the up state NY district. It may act as a "test" to see if people are going to really listen to and follow super conservatives.

November 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  41. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Guess I shouldn't be surprised by Ari Fleischer and his comments about gay marriage, especially considering the Bush administration saw fit to acknowledge that only certain people's constitutional rights really matter, on many fronts.

November 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  42. Dulcie - Denver

Grah! The coverage is so depressing that I'm not sure I'll watch much longer. Harry Reid giving up on Health Care? Democrats getting trounced?

Yeah, depressing as heck. I guess I'll go back to the shutting up and stewing like I did for 8 years of Bush. It's tragic.

November 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  43. Angela in Atlanta

Sean, the LA judge has resigned.....

November 3, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Andrew-PV

Glad to see David Gergen is finally recognizing the importance of Maine regarding marriage equality. Earlier this evening he dismissed it as "well, it's Maine" just as I am sure he dismissed Concord in the Revolutionary War as "well, it's Massachusetts"

November 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  45. Denise

Is OBAMA listening now....the middle/working class is getting screwed..we are tired and sick of promises..where is the change? Do not feed us this crap that he is not following the elections...he is a politician....time to step it up....

November 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  46. Jatovi

Ok, maybe I am a little slow or something but what is the big deal with these elections. They are local election not national. Regardless if Corzine wins or not his elections doesn't affect North Carolina or California or any other state besides where he is running.

November 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Sean

I wonder what the Louisiana judge says about gay marriage?

November 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  48. Emily

@Erica,
    Glad to see you on the Blog tonight....great that you went out and voter...doesn't sound like alot did!
    Too bad to hear that!

November 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  49. David, Indiana

Pamela Gentry does have a point about the blue dog's in congress, but also it looks like the dems are on it to pick up a seat in NY.

So gov. Corzine could as of yet pull it out, even after the projection? But Christie ahs eaten Corzine's territory.

Is it accurate to link gov elections to the robust Health Care Reform discussion that's solidly gained momentum

November 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Angela in Atlanta

Megan,

I thought celebrities were supposed to get the shot first, considering how important they are and all!

November 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |