November 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/03/09

Tonight on 360° get election results from the best political team on T.V. Anderson, Wolf Blitzer, John King and many others are on hand to run through the big races and get a pulse on American politics.

Scroll down to join the live chat during our two-hour live coverage of the election. This is your chance to share your thoughts on the voting results. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Agreed!

November 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  2. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ David, Indiana

I just read your post on up state NY and i agree with you completely.

The strong media attention to that district and the support of super conservatives like Palin and Limbaugh may have hurt the conservative candiddate.

Hi Erica, why do you think your polling station was so quiet, what has Bloomberg done wrong?

November 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  3. EM

The movement in NJ is because NY has high unemployment not that Republicans are doing anything special

November 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  4. Dodie ~ California

@ Starr

You are right on target! I completely agree. Just because a republican wins in NJ does not mean it is a result of Pres Obama.

November 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Emily

@ Gayle McCauley,
    Are you happy with your Boston Mayor Menino?
    That would be something to be serving for a 5th Term!

November 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!! Oh boy, I am sorry for my favorite stars or celebrities had H1N1 virus...... My heart goes to them, Get well soon!

November 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Craig

@Heather Bruce performed a series of VFC (Vote for Change) concerts for Kerry

November 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Russ

@Heather
    We need to think about this a little. Look at what Reagen inherited from Carter, it was worse then this economy, and what did he do. cut taxes, which created jobs. More jobs means more revenue which means better economy.

November 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Anthony (Chicago)

David come on politics tend to be local dicuss why dont you ask someone form NJ what the NJ race was about " Novel Idea ! I thought that was reporting ?

November 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Angela in Atlanta

Hey Erica, the crowds that voted in 2008 for president I guess are not that interested in other, perhaps more important races. I was hoping that this crowd wouold continue to stay engaged, but I guess I was wrong. I don't expect much from the Obama crowd in 2010 either.

November 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Jo, Obama campaigned heavily in NJ, a very Democratic state. Of course it's a blow to him. If the Democrat won, Obama would be claiming credit and you know it.

November 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Dodie ~ California

Erica: It has been my experience that voting in odd years just does not gather very many voters. Maybe they do not see it vital to vote. I am not sure why.

November 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Craig I think thats funny because wasn't Springsteen a democrat back in the 80's?

November 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Republicans will come together in 2010 to take back one or both houses of Congress.

November 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  15. starr, formerly known as vincent

My impression of Corzine of NJ, was that he was not a good governor. I do Not think that a republican win in NJ is necessarily a "blow" to Obama.

I think the people of NJ had had it with Corzine.

Virginia was no surprise to me.

November 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  16. dave

Michael Steele and the RNC should not gloat over tonights results. This was not a clear victory for the Republicans. The RNC still represents a party of Anti Democrats. The RNC has to do as much soul searching after nights elections as the Democrats.

November 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  17. Emily

WOW!
    Chris Christie beats John Corzine?!

That is something!
    The wind is blowing in a different direction (D. Gergen), and it has been but a year that Obama has been in office.

I wonder if he will have a Presidency like Jimmy Carter?

November 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  18. Karen

Erica, maybe they feel like me. Americans are only into hurting themselves and nothing I can do can fix that. We are fixated on fast food recovery ignoring the impossibility of that. Who I vote for governor of my state is about my STATE not my nation.

November 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  19. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Erica, all things considered, you were there only for a small window of time relative to the entire day. That said, I hate voter apathy–it really annoys me.

November 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  20. Danielle

I voted for Christie. Last time I voted for Corzine. I am a registered Democrat and have always voted Democratic.

Corzine lost my vote when he gave away my primary vote for Hillary at the Democratic convention. How dare he! I will never forgive him for that. Many of my friends feel the same way and voted against him. Payback is a you know what.

November 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Lori

It sounds like the honeymoon is over

November 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  22. ericacnn

Hi, everyone. My polling station in NYC oddly quiet today. Granted, this is only the 3rd election day I've been in NY for, and one was a primary (in my years of voting experience, not a hot bed of activity), but in what is normally a very politcally acctive neighborhood, not a lot of action. I'm not the only one who noticed, either.

November 3, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  23. Lori from IL

Actually – I think it's a benefit that the govs are going to Repubs - the states are broke. Let them try to fix the state budgets. They will be out of office at the next election. Voters are just that fickle -

November 3, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  24. bea

Conservative Republicans are in trouble if only those runnig as moderates are winning.

November 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I believe many voters are conservatives it really does matter which parties in office so it seems.

November 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Jo in San Jose

Christie's win is not a 'blow' to Obama. Sheesh.

November 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Craig

Anti-incumbent and pro-Springsteen sentiment rules in Jersey

(Christie's been to 150 or so Bruce shows - which makes him a Republican with whom any Dem music fan can find common ground!)

November 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  28. bea

C'mon folks, Corzine had his issues in NJ.

November 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Anthonia-Bay Area!

Woah, i cannot believe celebrities can get H1N1! I thought they were made of steel! turns out i was wrong, i guess everyone is human after all...

November 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Emily

This Swine Flu sounds like it's really going to be something is season!

I hope that everyone who wants a vaccine gets it!

November 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  31. David, Indiana

I think the media pressure weighed on McCain Palin and the campaign imploded a bit, not sure how to read that.

Interesting poll numbers from Soledad O'Brien, kind of says watch out for high expectations, stick with cautious optimism, but an undercurrent of positive feeling.

@WXDAVID 33% reporting in upstate NY

November 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh my goodness!!!!! Michael Bloomberg is losing his position Mayor of NYC! OUCH!

November 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Susan

EM,

you have majority in congress and the inability to get anything done. dems are best left as minority party in congress.

November 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Jorge A. Pensacola, FL

I agree. Didin't think it would be so "down to the wire."

November 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I'm a happy camper tonight for the first time in the last year.

November 3, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  36. Emily

@Megan,
    Things in Virgina are looking very interesting!

November 3, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  37. starr, formerly known as vincent

WoW, look at up state NY!

November 3, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  38. David Covey

The Republicans versus the Democrats. What a bore. I just want excellent people doing good work. With all the money being thrown around, by rich politicians and special interest groups buying the not so rich politicians, how can we ever find and support the true leaders of this country ?

November 3, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Rou-Jhen Su, Taiwan

Hello Anderson, Erica and all !!!!!!!

November 3, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Jane - Vt

Hi all. The closeness of the Bloomberg race is pretty surprising.

November 3, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Heather - Spokane, WA

I still support Obama. He has done well with all the stuff that he was left with when he got in, and you know what they say, things have to get bad before they can get better, and I think we are in the bad now but its going to get much better.

November 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Cecil

I wonder what those who say the Republican win in Virginia has nothing to do with the Obama administration would be saying if the Democrats had won. The Obama administration is like a run away train!

November 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  43. debinaz

sure hope washington gets the message now...the message being we hired you and now we will fire you for not doing what the people want.. time to hire folks that will do the job that the american people want done

November 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Emily

@dave,
    It could be because there are not alot of Ideas from the Republicans.
    The "talk show" hosts make so much noise and they are getting more atten. than many of the Republicans.
    Also, with such a low voter turn out (as it sounds), they don't sound 'angry' enough or 'motived' enough to get out and vote!

November 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Mark

Which Republican winner tonight will be involved in scandals, affairs and the same old policies that got us in debt and in two Wars before Obama moved to Washington. I'm betting on the New Jersey Dude!!

November 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Uh-oh. Not good news to hear, American feel things going bad down to percent 36%.

November 3, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  47. EM

@Tim The Dems still have majority in the House and the Senate they aren't going anywhere

November 3, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Russ

James Carville doesn't get it either, we all want Health care reform, but the economy needs to be fixed first. If we increasing taxes on the rich you can bet the jobless numbers will rise. Makes no sense to spend money when we have to borrow it from China

November 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

AP is now calling New Jersey for Christie?

November 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  50. Angela in Atlanta

Heather, I think people want to see jobs come back and they aren't. An increase in the GDP is meaningless to most people.

November 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |