November 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/02/09

Tonight an election race that could signal big changes in the Republican party – moving it farther to the right. We'll also look at what the outcome at the ballot boxes tomorrow could mean for Pres. Obama. Plus, actor Nicolas Cage's money mess and how women can battle the boys club at the office.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Emily

Have a great night Anderson, Erica, Megan, Martina, and Bloggers!
    Gady, glad you could join us tonight and hope to see you all for the 2 hours live tomorrow!

Should be another great Blog!! 😀

November 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  2. Lori

As if fanning the air will fix it.

November 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen, Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    Day of the shot with NBC today crew wore their costumes of Star War...... Nice shot! AWWWWWW!!!!! 🙂
    Anderson,
    Have a great night, good sleep at home after work!!!! See you tomorrow night!!! Have a plenty sleep! 😀

November 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good evening everyone – Anderson, David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!
    Good show tonight.

A great week for us! See you tomorrow!!!
    ------------------------

November 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  5. Emily

Yay, the BEAT360! 😀
    Love that!

November 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  6. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"God bless the child!"

November 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  7. David, Indiana

How did the business manager manage to not file Nicolas Cage's taxes?

I think a hard working actor might be in danger of losing track of finances because of a demanding career. Actually anyone can sympathize with that, who wants to lose what they've earned by accident.

November 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  8. Emily

She looks like a great mother...and her son is cute! 🙂

Glad both are safe!

November 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  9. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I'm thinking I'd rather hear Erica sing "Richard Heene, Science Detective" over seeing the Ewok humping Al Roker's leg....but I'll place judgment after tonight's "Shot"!

November 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  10. gretchen

@mike/syracuse,women put their families on the back burner all the time,and we work long hours,and we still don't get equal pay.But I've also found out we pay more for insurance,dry cleaning,and car repair.What in the world is wrong with you men,when you know women do most of the shopping.The inequality stinks,we must get down and dirty again like the women of the womens movement of the 60's and 70's.Women need to also stick up for each other.

November 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  11. Danny Espino

I think Nichols Cages taxes is ones business. We all know he makes money. He could pay 6 millon and still have millions left. I believe this is a over sight by his manager and will be corrected right away. Keep doing what you do best Mr Cage. If you look right now on HBO, Showtime, Starz channels etc. You will find at least 3 of his movies on.

November 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Lori from IL

@ Erica Hill - Why do these people really need a business manager? Learn to take care of your own finances and consult the appropriate experts (taxes, broker, etc.) then you don't run the risk of being taken advantage of by a biz. manager.

November 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  13. Jenn

The stroller video is very hard to watch! My goodness, did they say the baby is ok??

A/C in the studio...that is so funny Erica!

November 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I can't wait see what baby's mom to say... My heart goes to her, I am glad baby is safe now.

November 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Well I guess for my next $40M movie I'll have to hire an extra accountant to check up on my manager.

November 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  16. Julie

This is an actor who had more money then brains, now has neither.

November 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  17. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hi Erica! Always great to see you on the blog....it is never too late for you to say HI to us.

Anderson, excellent panel discussion re: financial management and responsibility.

November 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"I wish you well Nick!"

November 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  19. Carlos

If Gage goes to jail then Geitner goes to jail. If IRS collects the bills then no one is above the law.

November 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Emily

This was a shocking video!
    I recall seeing that video....
    I wonder what the mother has to say?!

I hope she will NOT say that she did it intentionally!

November 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

I remember seeing an old school rapper say "get a lawyer, then get another lawyer to watch that lawyer." I guess there's a silver lining to not having millions...

November 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  22. Cessy, Chicago IL

Hi Erica! good to see you here...

November 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  23. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

What despair that mother! The image on the subway is so strong!

November 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  24. ericacnn

Tax issues aside, amazing to think of the money that is paid to all of these people - 5% to a biz mgr, 10% to an agent, etc, etc. CRAZY

November 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"The folks at home that don't have that kind of money." Boy Anderson is that ever an understatement!

November 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  26. Emily

Here we go again!
    An excuse for everything!!!

It was (& IS) always up to me to review my work, etc. even if others are doing it!

They ARE his taxes!!!
    No sympathy here!

November 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  27. CURTIS

"Trust but verify." I need to write that down....

November 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ David, Indiana

Yes, the wrong part in a discussion must admit. Today this has not been common, to our sorrow!

November 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  29. Cynthia, NC

I wonder how often Nicolas Cage had reviews with his business manager? Probably not often enough since Cage didn't know he was $6 million behind in taxes. Cage should have taken a look at those income tax forms he was signing each year.

November 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  30. carolyn j

oh sorry for you ERICA....I KEEP my RM at 60 degrees..kills all germs.
    good sweaters work....good luck ...how are yah?

November 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Cessy, Chicago IL

Anderson, the only lesson to be learn here is to pay your taxes!!! It is his money and for someone who has been in the business, it is his responsibility to make sure his finances are taken care of. How long has this been going on for him to accumulate $6M in debt?

November 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

These celebs should go to prison!

November 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  33. Emily

@Erica,
    "better later than never" for sure!"

Hope that you had a great weekend...and yous are doing well! 🙂

November 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The rich and famous never seem to take responsibility for any of their problems, not their addictions, not their failed marriages, and not their financial problems.

November 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  35. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    I know more men that are "stay-at-home" fathers, when the children are first born, and their wives', they are the "workaholics" now...
    Hard to believe that they are doing the same work as their male co-workers for such a wage difference.

November 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  36. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Erica

I was missing you in the live blog. Good to have you here with us!

November 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Didn't Cage realize that he hadn't signed a 1040 in a few years?

November 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  38. starr, formerly known as vincent

Nickolas Cage is not the first celebrity to have been "duped" by their financial managers. There a quite a few "stars" who have been left broke and standed by their managers.

Just goes to show you, that you should Always be involved with your own finances!

November 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

This is an old story. We've heard this so many times before now. Did Mr. Cage ever sign any tax returns? It's hard for me to feel sorry for him, especially considering his substantial assets. I think he's doing more harm (to his likeability and his reputation) than good.

November 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The rich and famous can't seem to take care of their taxes.

November 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

I'm having a hard time building up any sympathy for Cage right now.

November 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  42. Sharon Hastings

Boo hoo for Nicholas Cage. Look what he's selling. Looks like he bought a lot of stuff along the way. And don't you have to sign those income tax returns even though someone else prepares them?

November 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  43. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I like very much the movies Nocolas Cage, especially the last!

November 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I find it really difficult to have any sympathy for these celebrities. They are too lazy to take care of their own finances and then they cry foul.

November 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  45. ericacnn

Hi, all – better late than never. Had some last-minute changes in edit.

Good to have AC back – tho I didn't miss the extra A/C in the studio! 🙂

November 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  46. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

How are these contracts between business manager and the stars?

November 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Many women do not know how much men are making on the same job. Men do not share that information because they might be making more then the women on the same job.

November 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  48. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Was there a contract between the business manager and actor Nicolas Cage? How was it?

November 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  49. Cessy, Chicago IL

I'd rather see Al Roker and Ewok than hear Nicolas Cage's finance troubles. He probabaly didnt pay his taxes.

November 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  50. Judy O'Brien

I do not agree that women don't ask for more pay and promotions.
    Many women I work with have asked repeately for more pay and job challenges. The men in leadership postions dismiss us over and over and in my case I have left prior companies for more pay and responsibilities. I am in the IT industry and we need more women in leadership positions to help make those transitions. I also believe that many women in those top jobs feel there is only room for 1 woman and hence they do not reach back to help other women.

November 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |