November 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/02/09

Tonight an election race that could signal big changes in the Republican party – moving it farther to the right. We'll also look at what the outcome at the ballot boxes tomorrow could mean for Pres. Obama. Plus, actor Nicolas Cage's money mess and how women can battle the boys club at the office.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Most men get to the top by being workaholics. Are women as willing to put family second?

November 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I work in a traditionally "male" dominated department and you just have to work that much harder to prove yourself. But once you prove yourself, you can be successful. I agree with the Doctor's advice....use humor. It's a great way to break into that "boys club" environment.

Good segment and discussion. Thanks.

November 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Emily

I hope that women get the same wage as men for the same work....
    I LOVE MEN!!!
    Not interested in ruling you guys, TOO much work!! 😛

November 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If women could learn to work together instead of against each other they could make some progress. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be in their nature.

November 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

That was a great discussion about Women in the workfield, but wasnt that panel somewhat bias because there were no male representing their ideas and thoughts about how they feel about women being in the work field...???

November 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  6. David, Indiana

@Isabel, me neither, but though I am guilty of it I have to admit.

It is surprising .58 to a 1.00 for women and me CEO's. How did they arrive at that number?

Interesting pt about quiet ego by Dr. Katrina Firlik but I think that could go for men as well as women.

Maria Ho is right the poker table is an even playing field, if you have the money what dictates success is one's experience in poker.

November 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  7. Emily

Anderson, that was quite a tease that you just left us with there, re. Al Roker! YIKES!

November 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Sharon Hastings

Women will still have a hard time no matter how much they succeed in their careers if they are juggling a marriage and children and feel they need to keep all those plates in the air all by themselves. This is virtually impossible. It takes a special kind of family commitment by all in the family to make it work.

November 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Bored_Watcher

Family friendly? Competing for the jobs in question is not a "family friendly" quest no matter your gender.

November 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  10. Kathy Chicago

I needed Susie 20 some years ago. I was on track to be VP at the bank when I quit for my kids. I don't think that I could have given my best with two premies.

November 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  11. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Suze always gives such great advice.Great discussion!

November 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Jennifer - AZ

My grandfather also said, the most important things you can possess is a sense of humor; it can get you through anything.

November 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Joe Ann Jones

My respect for Suze Ormond just went from a 10 to a 2. She hasn't a clue. When I brought up the facts of what I had learned about a co-worker who made a lot more money than I ,(with a lot less time on the job) I was out numbered and fired. So much for asking for what you want!

November 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  14. stephanie,Upper Marlboro MD

Playing poker and being a doctor is not the same environment as working like at the post office

November 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Cessy, Chicago IL

" why women should rule the world"... because WE can!

November 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  16. Malia

Anderson, welcome home! I missed you very, very much.

Ladies, you can break into the boys club with a bit of confidence and class.

November 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  17. Emily

@ Gayle McCauley,
    I agree with you...I think that women need to talk to each other and work together! ....women are notorious for stabbing each other in the back right from childhood!

November 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Scott from LA

I work for a company of 20,000 employees. There is a strong commitment to diversity at mid level and senior level positions. The women who tend to break into the boys club are those who are willing to frankly sacrifice their work/life balance more toward the work itself. Their significant others need to help give women to time to spend on the job.

November 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Jenn

I think Suze is right...women are happy with status quo. A slow climb to the top, yes, a very slow climb.

As American women continue to have fewer children, they are slowly taking over (I mean, on) new roles.

November 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

I think women are more likely to share their successes with their team members, however, that's how you mobilize your team, so in the end, those women probably are better producers than the men that take all the credit.

That said, I've seen women totally hog all credit because of their own insecurity.

November 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  21. filene

I think it's important to remember that the 'go bold, or go home' strategy can often backfire for women. It *is* important to ask for what we want, and to remember that we are entitled to the same as any man. But it's also key to understand that the roadblocks often are deeply ingrained in society, socialization and what sort of femal behavior is deemed acceptabl. Corporations as a whole need to understand the differences and embrace them, not subdue them. Dee Dee's right–those corporations will win.

November 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  22. LoriAnn Appelhans

I was very fortunate to have a father who was not just a nuclear engineer – but a full bird coronel in the US Army. My mother may not have had the PhD – but by golly she was a smart cookie – they both treated my sister, brother and I as equal opportunity kids!

I realized after working for male dominated industries – education was the answer! 4 years part time MBA; 8 years semi part/full time PhD – and heck..no male I have met can do what I can!

Women just need to stand up for their worth and the worth of those that work for them.

Can not say enough about education – and the reality of being able to apply that!

Regards,
    LA Appelhans

November 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Kathy Chicago

Hi AC! Welcome home. John King and Erica did a great job while you were gone

November 2, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  24. Cynthia, NC

Good evening. I've encountered the Boys Club in my career, but I have higher standards and morals than the those in the club. I am not afraid to challenge my boss on my pay, I've done it in the past and I'll do it again in the future. But, I agree there are women who do not stand up for themselves and allow their male superiors to basically beat them down. I've witnessed it and it angered me to no end.

November 2, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Helen

How can a man who make 20 million goes broke? Maybe he invested with Bernie Madoff or had stocks in AIG or the real estate market. There could many legitimate answers than the ones MSM wants us to focus on.

November 2, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  26. starr, formerly known as vincent

I am sad to see that women are still making less money than men.

I was fortunate in my professional experience. I am, however, a fairly secure woman, who knew what value i brought to the table.

I was also lucky enough to work for corporations who also valued what i did for them.

It is certainly time for women to be taken very seriously in the working world. We are in the majority. Women do need to stand up for themselves, just like men. Confidence and performance are the key.

November 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

So in the interest of equality should high school and college sports teams be coed and allow the best people regardless of gender be on the team? Solves the Title 9 problems.

November 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I do love both of women Dee Meyers and Suze Orman, I agree with them too.

November 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Emily

this is an interesting panel with these 4 women!

I don't think that every woman has a hard time taking credit for what she does! ...there are many more positive female "role models" for women now too! (aside from our mothers, etc)....Women that we can look to and say, "I want to be like her..."

November 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Christine

You want to talk about the "boy's club"? I run a trucking company you ain't gonna get more "boys" than that. Try dealing with longshoremen and captians of the port, oh don't forget the brokers who all say honey, sweetie and babe. I really don't care what they say as long as they give my company a fair shot. But I do get more help for my drivers when I call the pier. I will use any means at my disposal to get my company a foot in the door.

I also don't agree with your panel. My mother told me never hide my smarts or let anyone tell me I can't do what I want or be what I want. Great woman my mom.

November 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I think a lot of women can't 'get ahead' at work because other women can sometimes sabotage their efforts.I've seen it,more than I care to.

November 2, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Jennifer - AZ

I think it's true that women do not value or have the confidence in themselves in the workplace as much as a men do. I also think that maybe they do not value the "salary trophy" as much as men do. The nurturing side still applies- so many things are more important than money.

November 2, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  33. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

I'm sure if one of the women on Obama's staff wanted to play bball, they would let her. Having played my share of pickup basketball games, I learned that most men THINK they can play basketball even if they can't 🙂

November 2, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

So do I. I also like to see a woman president in America and Brazil.

November 2, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Cessy, Chicago IL

good point Suze!

November 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

Why shouldn't women work in the boys club we can do it as wel if not better .

November 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Helen

When the NFL has a Coed team, than we can talk about the white house including women when the guys play. I do not want my husband in my night with the girls. Those are non stories that the MSM love to focus on.

Talking about pay wage between men and women is an important story, but talking about basketball game is overeaching.

November 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

You need to separate the traditional female jobs like secretary, nurse, etc. from the averages. Are women engineers paid less than male engineers? What are the apples to apples statistics?

November 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  39. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Suze is so right.

November 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Sue

I think women don't like working for other women.
    I knew about Letterman but the media let it go because he is a man and powerful and women dont like women bosses.
    As a female, I dont believe how women view other women as a boss!

November 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Cessy, Chicago IL

Breaking into the boys club is an interesting segment...I hope to see more of this...

November 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

I would lije to see a woman Pres some day maybe Chelsea Clinton wil have a shot at it .

November 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Donna

Yes, good for Anderson for calling Mark Williams out on his "Marxist" remarks. Next time, please tell him it is the DemocratIC party, even if he doesn't like the name

November 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    I'm sure that the lawsuits will be there soon!

November 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

@Emily i'm all shock up uh ,uh Elvis stuff i hope Nick Cage didn't loose any thing of the King momentos .

November 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Pay me well for the job that I do well, and I am all right.

November 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

If you're gay you have some of these same issues as the women do (glass ceilings, etc.). However, for those who are truly committed to moving ahead (displayed in many ways), we learn to play the games better than those who are propagating the "club" rules. Then we gradually change the rules as we progress...

November 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Alyssa

Well first of all, I normally don't like Roland Martin (he tends to sound like a foil to Bill O'Reilly), but compared to the other man, Roland is making a lot of sense.

It's unfortunate that Dede who clearly would have been able to reach across the aisle in her district felt obligated to drop out because of people like Rush Limbaugh saying she was too liberal.

The GOP needs to focus more on reconnecting their already disjointed party and they really should stop isolating one another because a moderate republican is too "left" for conservatives.

November 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Wow! The numbers are impressive ... into the boys club.

November 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Emily

If women are doing the same job/career as a man, they should be making the very same wage!
    same hours, education, etc. same money!

November 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm |