November 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/02/09

Tonight an election race that could signal big changes in the Republican party – moving it farther to the right. We'll also look at what the outcome at the ballot boxes tomorrow could mean for Pres. Obama. Plus, actor Nicolas Cage's money mess and how women can battle the boys club at the office.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cessy, Chicago IL

I hope to see a woman President of the United States in my lifetime.

November 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Cyclone-Iowa

As a female college senior soon to enter into the corporate world, I wish this was an issue addressed on campus to better prepare females of what to possible expect and how to fight back.

November 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

So if Letterman had a hostile work environment, why are there no lawsuits?

November 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  4. Emily

@Megan,
    That is really something about Cage....any Elvis fans out there?
    I've heard that he's been quite the collector of Elvis memorabilia!

I want to hear more about this story....can be hard to feel sorry for these stars sometimes! (often....)

November 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  5. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Wow! The numbers are impressive!

November 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

Women are always making less money than men, and I am so angry that the goverment cannot mae men and women make the same workpay..! thats just so unfair!

November 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

No one is safe with money these days clebs have too much of it they get catrried away with spending it .

@Megan Dresslar Yikes is right !

November 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Janine from PA.

I'll bet many stars get ripped off by people all the time. Mr. Cage just lost his dad I send him my sympathy at this time.

November 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  9. Brad Ajax Ontario

So according to your guest anyone with a liberal view is not compatable with the U.S. and is a faciest. Oh Please......

If more people on the far right start talking like that too, the Republican party will have to step up and start cleaning house or they will never win.

November 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

What did Nick Cage do with his investments did he have bad management or did he invest with Bernie Maddoff in the ponzi scheme?

November 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  11. Patricia J Dean

Republicans are confused and they will destroy themselves at the pace they are going, more conservative mean more tight to the old ideas, racism, no gay rights, no opportunity for the less fortunate.The tea parties are going to backfire because America is watching this people acting against all odds, they have the money to go all over and the time, the regular American has 2 jobs or no job at all they don't have the time nor the money to go to this places and pretend that they just got off the May Flower and want to take the land away from the Native American Indian, in this case is the land of the working American what they want to take away.Sarah Palin is hurting the conservatoire candidate because he is getting contaminated with negative matter on Sarah's account. Good luck to the new conservative party where Palin is the lead singer.

November 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  12. nadia

Suzy orman is wrong .when a woman pushes for recognition , she is labelled agressive and combative ,when men do the same they are called assertive.
    Arbitrary criteria define competence and character unfortunately are based on stereotypes and are made by men .
    Antidiscrimination laws are outdated .they only address basic wages issues etc but not the more common and wide spread subtle and real today's froms of discrimination that hold women back .

November 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Kath

Welcome back Anderson.

That tea party guy is one very VERY scary man. I really do fear for the future of our country if his like and the likes of Limbaugh and Palin EVER get into power!!!

November 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Gregg - - Fla.

Im confused on something, with the US knowing that the Karzai brothers are corrupt, one being in the drug business, i keep hearing all this talk about the poppy fields funding the Taliban, why is then that we arent sending in air support to trash these crops? seems like if we got rid of the money maker, they would be dead in the water, why arent they talking more about this?

November 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

Too much bickering and fithting as to what's best for the people and they can't get thier act together .

November 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Emily

@David, Indiana,
    I don't think that a third party is needed, however both of them, many have gone to both extremes in the last decade.
    I wondered if that was a 'sign' of some kind of a change...a bit of one.

November 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

Being liberalis not any differnt from any other view point .The politicans promises nver change and nothing gets done .People are still out of work and need jobs .

November 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!! Not good news for me hear actor Nicolas Cage had problem his finances! YIKES!

November 2, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  19. stephanie

Ithink we are heading for a 4 party. Welcome back anderson!

November 2, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  20. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ David, Indiana

I don't like to see bickering!

November 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  21. Emily

Karzai ~ "messy" indeed!

November 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  22. Jennifer - AZ

The Constitution is a base, not the end all be all, and that is the way the founders intended. They understood that our systems need to be as dynamic as the world is. That is why we they gave us inclusions like separation of church and state and they ability to modify the Constitution.

November 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  23. David, Indiana

Mark Williams definitions of liberal and conservative are way to strict. You'd have to go a long way with either philosophy to even begin calling it permissive.

@Emily, you think a third party is needed? Maybe, we've seen that a bit, but I think the two party system works pretty well.

November 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  24. Thomas

Anderson,

As a Democrat I take offense to the generalization as being a liberal. I have conservative beliefs as well as liberal views. I believe in social programs for people who need help but I also believe in capital punishment. It 's like saying I'm only happy but never angry.

November 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  25. LorenaR

discussion getting heated! roland martin, you make such a good point when you say no national party can exist on the weight of its fringe. as far as i am concerned, conservatives and their neanderthal way of thinking are way out of touch, out of sync with the country and the world. They want to desperately hold on to the old default white world, and are terrified of the changes facing the human race.

November 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  26. Manuel Mota, M.D.

I agreed Anderson. It is great to have you back even though John did a great job. The following is dedicated to your legion of fans:
    What does being LIBERAL mean?
    If by "Liberal" they mean
    someone who looks ahead and
    not behind, someone who
    wellcomes new ideas without rigid reactions,
    someone who cares about the welfare of people:
    their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs,....
    If that is what they mean bay a "LIBERAL" then I'm
    proud to say I AM A LIBERAL. (JFK, 1960 speech)

Manuel Mota, M.D.
    Lake Mary, FL

November 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Natalie

I'm a registered Democrat and have been since I started voting at 18. I've become more conservative as fiscal issues have become more important to me. I find the far left much less abhorent than the far right and have therefore stayed put, but I would welcome a split in the Republican party, especially if it resulted in a moderate Republican third party that left the conservative social agenda to the right wingers. If that happened, I'd seriously consider switching parties to become a moderate Republican.

November 2, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  28. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

Hi Anderson Welcome back 360 is not the same without you !

I think women and men are equal to working for the sake of the economy now that it's in bad shape two pay cheques are important.

November 2, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  29. starr, formerly known as vincent

Marx Lenin...what is Mark talking about?

The truth and the issues are really being "twisted" by the Tea Party people.

I understand Everyone's frustration....however, we need to work Together to solve problems, not be at "war" with each other.

Personally, i would like to see a "centrist" party formed, as that is what the majority of the nation is.

November 2, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  30. Emily

that was an interesting panel there was Roland and Mark Williams....

2 hours LIVE tomorrow!!! 🙂
    I hope that you all can make it for the full 2 hours!
    Should be a great blog as usual, with an extra hour! 😀

November 2, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  31. Joshua Wertheim

No room for moderates? Baloney! In this country Obama proved that there is No Room For Idiots.

Except Sarah Palin unfortunately.

November 2, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  32. Scott

Scozzafava was endorsed by hate-spewer Markos Moulitsas. 'Nuff said.

November 2, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  33. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I like how Mark just flatly refused to answer questions, preferring to loudly talk over Anderson and Roland in favor of long-winded unfocused anecdotes.

November 2, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  34. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

You can't say Republicans are dead when they are about to win two Democratic governorships tomorrow.

November 2, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ David, Indiana

I don't like to see bickering! American elections always leave me confused, are difficult for me to understand! 🙂

November 2, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  36. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

What about Leiberman? He was forced out of the Democratic Party for not being far enough to the left on the war.

November 2, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Cessy, Chicago IL

Big day tomorrow..will not miss it.

November 2, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I think Mark needs to take a time-out and re-review his principles, because he is looking a little bit wacko with his inability to make clear distinctions. It's unfortunate because he has some valid points.

November 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  39. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Every time Mark Williams is on I just shake my head and chuckle....

November 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  40. David Cross

We Republicans are tired of politicians throwing away our values for votes.

November 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  41. Chuck in Thailand

Mr. Martin named two conservative Democrats from below the Mason Dixon line.

How many can he name from New York State? That is the state under discussion

November 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  42. Logan

Hi Anderson me and my g/f missed you. Hello Everybody. So where were you at?

November 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  43. Lance Kolbet

I was laying in bed with my wife watching the dialogue unfolding and was compelled to share the view of an Idaho Republican. One of the most conservative republican states in the country. I have been involved in politics here in Idaho for sometime. I have to classify myself as a moderate republican. I truthfully have to say that I feel like my party has been hijacked. I feel that the party has more changed than myself. I am almost spent watching the talking heads each night. I have (3) children to think about now and would not put it past myself to no question vote for a moderate, even democrat. I am so disappointed with the fact that we cannot come to the table and work together. Were are the true Statesmen of the day? Not politicians. Too much is at stake. Additionally, I would like to add that Rush Limbaugh embarrases me as a republican. I hope that many understand that Rush does not represent all the views of Republicans.

November 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Tony

Is Senator Leiberman a traitor according to Dems?
    Maybe the Dems should purge thier party!

November 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Iggy Gomes

Senseless, Mark. It's llike you want a bigger tent only to hang a bigger EXIT sign!

November 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  46. Rebekah

Anderson! so nice to see you back at the anchor desk!
    also, good evening to Erica (of course) and the rest of the AC360 team

i can definitely say i'm eager to see how the elections turn out. thank goodness we here in Michigan arent dealing with a gubernatorial election just now – Granholm's term limit will be at its end in 2010 – but congressional elections are always interesting.
    crossing my fingers for more liberal wins tomorrow! i'm also biting my fingernails down to the quick thinking about staunch conservatives gaining much ground this election cycle...

November 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Emily

Good for Anderson to call Mark out on this point here....re. being a "Marxist" ....one extreme or the other...

November 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Wynter

The Conservatives are suffering the fallout from embracing the Religious Right over the past decade. Now they find themselves being surrounded by the fanatical right and the Glenn Beck maniacs.

November 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  49. Russ

They don't get it, it is not about the party it is about the person running period, Democrat, Republican or Independent. When are you guys going to wake up and not make this about parties.

Russ

November 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Cessy, Chicago IL

three way split screen is funny...Anderson you are one patient host.

November 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |