November 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/02/09

Tonight an election race that could signal big changes in the Republican party – moving it farther to the right. We'll also look at what the outcome at the ballot boxes tomorrow could mean for Pres. Obama. Plus, actor Nicolas Cage's money mess and how women can battle the boys club at the office.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sharon Hastings

Good evening and happy Monday Anderson and all bloggers. I don't see how the Republicans can build their party up if they maintain such a narrow perspective of what a Republican should be. Let's remember though that these folks are in the minority. Yes they are loud and outspoken and get alot of attention but they are in the minority. The majority of voting America are not narrowly conservative Republicans, nor will they be in the future.

November 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  2. Jonathan Musa

The Republican Party have become big problem in America. They have drive this country and the whole world into a mess from wars to borrowing and now they talk about fiscal policies and debt been shove into the throats of their children...that's really hypocritical and very deceiving. How sad and dishonest?

November 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  3. Dorothy

Anderson,

Your show is awesome! Thanks for having Roland Martin on. He is a dynamic debater!

November 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers: Looking forward to the panel discussion on women and their pay in the workplace.

Not sure if I would agree with Suze Orman that women generally don't "ask" for more pay. With today's economic environment, I'm not sure I want to get that bold. As it is, employees already have given up merit increases this year so I highly doubt women asking for a pay raise will be very successful.

November 2, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  5. Geovanni Rahming

Anderson, Mark

Evening.

im just wondering just how important this particular election is and why it is being discussed at length on CNN.

Will this election represent the current administration's decline in popularity...does it actually carry much weight in reality?

G. Rahming
    Nassau, Bahamas

November 2, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Dan Moreno

I prefer the Republican party without the middle of the road "no backbone" moderates.

November 2, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  7. Sabine

Hello Anderson,

Fine that you are back, have a good week.

November 2, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  8. Jenn

There is nothing conservative about Republicans today. The neo-conservative movement as actually been baraged by Jacobin principles that seek an imperialism in foreign policy and centralized power at home.

November 2, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I knew N. Cage was spending a little bit to much according to the tabloids.

November 2, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Iman

Anderson–

I am just scared for our country. How can we tackle our big issues... jobs healthcare... etc. and we are detracted by these check-box categorizations and marching around against people who are brave enough to rise to the task of helping us fix this country...republican...liberal... moderate.... democrat...we are American and we all have problems... the same problems. Let's just get together and talk.

November 2, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  11. Monica M. Williams

Can I get a whoa! whoa! AC in the house.

The conservative, liberal, Republican, Democrat discussion is mute. How a supporting a leader who works for the people not against the base.

November 2, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  12. Emily

@Rou-Jhen Su, Taiwan,
    Welcome to the Blog this evening!
    Nice to see you here! 😀

November 2, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Mary

The republicans are fighting to find themselves. They need a broader tent. Think like the "tea party" or your out!!! They are the dictators, not President Obama.

November 2, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Amanda

Who says that these fringe wingnuts are the Republican Party's base?

They are base for sure in their zealotry and bigotry, but I am not convinced that they are the Republicans' true base. This is the party of Lincoln for goodness sake – it is conservative yes, but for most of its history, there was room for moderates and moderation.

I'm just dismayed at this.

November 2, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

Good Evening Everyone! Hope Everyone Had A Great Weekend!

November 2, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi. Welcome back! I hope you had a great break. I was gone awhile myself, but the program isn't the same without you.
    I'm looking forward to the upcoming election–though I think it may bring about more rhetoric than change.

November 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Derek

The Republican and Democratic parties are already so divided in this country, why not divide them from the inside? What happened to cooperation and compromise? Let all of the ideologies be represented in the parties to dull the hard opinions.

November 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  18. Donna

Whether Owens wins or loses, the Democrats win. Even a loss highlights cracks in the Republican party.

November 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  19. Alex

Perhaps the GOP should look how long the UK Conservative party was out of power when it swung to the right after loosing.

November 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  20. Jon

What's happening in the republican party is a disintegration of what Reagan built. I predict the Conservative wing will eventually break off and create a real third party. They have a strong media influence.

November 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  21. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

The "Tea Party" guy has blinders on. We are gradually moving to a (viable) three-party system. This idea of a completely conservative Republican party and a completely liberal Democratic party doesn't fit because it's simply too black & white. Now, if the Democrats and the Republicans would stop freezing-out people like Ross Perot or Ron Paul from the discussion, we could make some serious forward momentum. I believe Libertarians are really making some headway now, for example.

November 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  22. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, great to see you again. Good eveing Erica, Isabel, everyone.

Primary voters should say if Ms Scozzafava runs or is elected into office not notable republicans. Having said that I don't like to see Republicans bickering like this and of course there are moderate Republicans I'm with Roland on that.

November 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  23. Emily

@Megan,
    It's going to be an "interesting" Tuesday!
    ...it's going to be a quite an evening tomorrow. (I think too!)

Looking forward to hearing what these women have to say about women in the workforce, etc.

November 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  24. starr, formerly known as vincent

Welcome Back Anderson!! (hope you had a well deserved vacation). Good evening Erica & Entire Team 360.

Good evening fellow chatters. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

This "conservative" movement is unsettling. Roland is right, you cannot build a National Party when you want to close our moderte Republicans.

The entire issues is scary.

November 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Daisy21

We all saw how "tolerant" the Democratic Party was when it came to those not toeing the Democratic Party line in the Connecticut Senatorial race. Was it not the far left who put up Ned Lamont to run against the sitting Democratic Senator, Joe Liebermann? The Democratic Party threw Mr. Liebermann under the bus for daring to not vote the way the party masters wanted him to and the way a good little Democrat was supposed to.

November 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I miss you so much last week..... I hope you enjoy off last week.... 🙂

November 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Jeff

It could turn out to be the best for the country if the Republicans cause the creation of a true third party.

November 2, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  28. Kendall

I never knew there was a difference between Conservative an Republican until NY23 district. I now now I am a democrate with conservative priciples. No need for repubs to isolate moderates

November 2, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  29. john

I believe the guy on the republican side should be ashamed to send lies on his blog. Remember him calling Obama racist thug and laughing about it??? It was a few weeks ago when he was called out for it on a panel. Roland is making a valid point as usual.

November 2, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Gregg - - Fla.

Keep in mind Daisy, Gingrich endorsed her so, go figure..

November 2, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  31. Cindy Dyer, In

@Gregg me too.

November 2, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  32. Jane - Vt

What I don't understand about the NY election is how someone can run in a district they do not reside in. Doesn't make sense to me.

November 2, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  33. Rou-Jhen Su, Taiwan

Hello !!!!! Anderson and all !!!!!!!

November 2, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Jane
    You're right!! LOL!!!! I love peeps!!

November 2, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  35. Jennifer - AZ

Evening Anderson,
    Glad to see you back. Hope you had a good, much deserved break.

Conservatives, tea parties – all I can say is (sigh). So very tired.

November 2, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  36. carolyn j

HELLO, ALL

ANDERSON good to see you back !!!

November 2, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  37. Gregg - - Fla.

I like Rloand Martin, always has great points, ( fact )...

November 2, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yeah Emily,
    I agree with you...... I am forwarding see tomorrow night too.

November 2, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  39. Daisy21

The Republican candidate in the 23rd district, was not a "moderate". She might be a Republican, but a far left one. She even got the endorsement of Daily Kos over the Democratic candidate. She was endorsed by the Family Workers Party, hardly a conservative group. Would Democrats vote for a Democratic candidate who was endorsed by a far right organization? I don't think so....

November 2, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  40. Jane - Vt

Hi everyone. Welcome back Anderson Cooper. Your peeps missed you.

November 2, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  41. Emily

I wonder if there will be a 3rd Party at sometime later down the future?

November 2, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  42. Emily

Good evening Anderson, ...Glad to see you back! 😛 ...Good evening Erica, Megan, Martina & Bloggers!

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day!

November 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Gregg - - Fla.

Heya Anderson, welcome back, evening bloggers....

November 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Cindy Dyer, In

Good Monday everyone. Nice to see you Anderson.

November 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  45. lisal .canada

welcome back.

November 2, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Cessy, Chicago IL

Yeay! Anderson is back!!!! We missed you!

November 2, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Hello Anderson!
    It's great to have you back! Welcome!

Good evening David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

Happy Monday!

November 2, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!

Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!! Happy Monday!

Welcome back!!!!! Missed you!!! HUGS!!!! 🙂

November 2, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Lauren--NY (@TheGrottoTweets)

Welcome home, Anderson. I hope you really enjoyed your time off.

November 2, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hello People! "Power To The People!"

November 2, 2009 at 10:00 pm |