October 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/30/09

At least 19 more children have died of swine flu in the U.S.  That's the biggest one-week jump. Dr. Sanjay Gupta joins us with the latest on the battle against the virus.  Plus, your economy and the mixed signals. Is the economy rebounding or not? We've got the raw politics.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. cicly

bye bye

October 30, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night John King (Anderson), Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!!
    Have a great weekend!
    See you on Monday night!
    Day of the shot with cute cartoon costume!!!!! Nice shot I love! 🙂 LOL!
    John,
    Thanks for anchor fill-in for Anderson this week....... See you on Sunday morning State of Union!!!!!!

October 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Jennifer - AZ

Happy Halloween!

October 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Dodie ~ California

Good night everyone enjoy the weekend!

October 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Anna

Why is everybody going to be Lady Gaga?

October 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  6. starr, formerly known as vincent

Good night to all, Have a great weekend! John King, you did a super job this week!

Fellow Bloggers – great weekend!

October 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The ballon boy.... lol....

October 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  8. cicly

michelle surely is wonderful. poor anna nicole died an untimely and tragic death. no matter what, she deserved to live.

October 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Jennifer - AZ

I think the Obamas have a real sense of social responsibility and the understanding that your behavior can impact your society and the importance of choosing to make the impact positive. I think a lot of people view their world much more narrowly.

October 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  10. carolyn j

great show..JOHN..ERICA, have a good night...happy halloween weekend.

all week was great !!!

October 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Emily

another arrest, in that Awful RAPE of the 15 yr old girl.
    such a sad story...glad to hear that they are still arresting people!

October 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Anna

That is horrible...the rape thing...weren't kids watching it? What's wrong with kids these days?

October 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Sondra-NY (Suffolk County)

All the people who were there where the girl was raped should be arrested, even those who just watched. What is wrong with people?

October 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  14. lisal .canada

underneath it all, the First Lady is a mover and a shaker ... i think she will continue to maintain a presence. happy weekend, everyone.

October 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Why should Michelle Obama spend any political capital? She wasn't the one elected.

October 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Anna

Michelle is awesome. Her approval rating is so high because she's like superwoman....and who cares about Anna Nicole Smith...really. Anybody here care?

October 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  17. karen

the president has to use a presidental plane. helicopter etc. for where ever he goes, because of security, so he is not allowed to take his family on vacation or his wife to a show? thats bs. all presidents have used federal funds( ie( using planes helicopters to go where they want to go. why is this being even brought up?

October 30, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  18. starr, formerly known as vincent

I think this discssion on the Obama's marriage can be very helpful to lot of American couples, who are stuggling their marriages.

It seems to me, if the Pres. and 1st Lady can work it out under the microscope of the media, almost anyone can do it!

October 30, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  19. Renee

@ Mike/Boston: I understand your concern. Dr. Gupta is a correspondent and a brain surgeon. He has not reviewed your son's records. Please call your son's doctor right away or take him to Boston Children's Hospital and get an expert opinion. Please don't delay. I wish you all the best!

October 30, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Sondra-NY (Suffolk County)

The Obama's want people to see them as "real," normal people, to relate to them and like them more, and to give them more leeway because of it.

October 30, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    I did already get flu shot, not swine flu...... Every year we need get flu shot too....... 🙂

October 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  22. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The Obamas are showing to be a happy couple and a lot of harmony,qualities essentials for a happy marriage and successful!

October 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  23. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Dodie-CA, very sorry to hear you are so sick, but very glad that you still join us on the blog. Often, your commentary is very helpful to me.

Get well ASAP.

October 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  24. Anna

Man, I don't know if I could be as strong as Michelle by not living with my husband for years!

October 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  25. Mike / Boston

I am very disappointed that you have not clarified Dr. Goupta’s remarks regarding bacterial pneumonia and children deaths. My son has it with H1N1 and now I am a nervous wreck! Do some children with bacterial pneumonia and H1N1 recover? Please!

October 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Anna

The Obamas are so cool.

October 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  27. Emily

@Megan,
    I've heard that you can get both shot if you want them.
    There are for 2 different flu strains and there is another flu strain out there, aside from the H1N1 Strain.

Some people are just getting the H1N1 Shot however...it's a good question for your MD.

October 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!!! That so scary to hear K. Ellis arrested..... I don't think racist at all. I agree with both of Lisa and Sunny, I know she made mistake, I think she lose her temper, never assault police officer. I agree them she get 15 yrs sentence in jail.

October 30, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Renee

Look this happened in Missouri - a small town in the midwest! Walmart is a social connection in a small town. Walmart is the "meeting place" in the town. They have to have some good witnesses here.

October 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  30. Crystal Moore, Fairfax, VA

This was 3 years ago, what took so long?

October 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Emily

I agree with Sunny Huston!
    All those witnesses and the police got together and made this up!?

Even if she was angry, there is no reason to act and speak like that in a public place!
    Not all over a woman getting angry @Walmart, it"s for mouthing off, physical actions, etc.

October 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  32. robert gorges

Mr, Anderson;
    Could you please ask the doctor,if the nasal mist for the swine flu is it safe? I heard it is a live virus could you get back to me on this

October 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  33. carolyn j

that happened to me in tenn...cashier would'nt give me my money back and ttreaten to call cops...

October 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Sondra-NY (Suffolk County)

Mrs. Ellis would probably get the maximum sentence, or close to the maximum sentence, to set an example. And of course all the officers will tell the same story. I agree with what Lisa said, and cursing wouldn't be such a big deal if people didn't make it such a big deal.

October 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Crystal Moore, Fairfax, VA

The real issue here is not the racism in this little town...racism exist in a lot of places. The focus should be on the judicial system that is structured in such a way that there is an economic incentive to throw the book at people for exercising their right to trial.

October 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  36. Karen

I was wondering about witnesses too.

October 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  37. cicly

never been in trouble and looking at 15 years? ouch, that's harsh.

October 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  38. David, Indiana

detainees shld get H1N1 vaccine according to where as a population they fall in priorities for the vaccine.

@Isabel, I hope things are going well there, sounds like you are having a busy week.

Great discussion of the impact and timing of the upcoming and in question Afghan elections w/ David Gergen, Michael Ware, and Dan Senor. What I get from the whole panel is that if the the elections are in place the situation firms up so that though result of election is to be seen there is a partner to count on and that is a necessity for proceeding with a surge. President Obama is in a stronger position if he can get the surge going soon.

October 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  39. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ Emily, i suspect you are right about NATO assistance. If we send more troops, hopefully they will too.

But, it's not just the troops. It's taking a truly desolate, unorganized country and bringing it into this century. Outside of the cities, there are dozens of very small communities who have no concern with government or the Taliban. They simply wish to live as they have lived for thousands of years.

October 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  40. Emily

Randi Kaye's report sounds like it has Nothing to do with Racism!!!
    (if the police reports are true!)

October 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  41. Crystal Moore, Fairfax, VA

How did this go from misdemeanor to felony?

October 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  42. Renee

Where are the Walmart video evidence? Walmart has video cams everywhere!

October 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Sondra

We've been told what this woman from the Wal-Mart scuffle is facing, but what are the police facing? Are they still on active duty when there are no definite answers about what happened? And aren't there witnesses on the tape that can be contacted. (BTW- who threatens to "beat" an officers a$....who threatens a cop at all? Especially a preachers daughter. What do you guys think?

October 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  44. carolyn j

in conclusive mean's she is in the right....awwwwwwww poor girl.

October 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Crystal Moore, Fairfax, VA

Heather stated repeatedly "I'm not resisting arrest". Why would continue to handle her with force and slam her head against the police vehicle

October 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Emily

@Mike,
    Sorry to hear about your son!
    I'll keep him in mind...I hope that he is healthy soon! 🙂

October 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Karen

Odd. Pregnant women and high risk children have been getting vaccine here for at least a week. I wonder how our state (NE) gets vaccine before others. I have to wonder how the decision is made to send what where. Are there clinics that were behind on requesting?

October 30, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  48. Anna

You couldn't pay me enough to take that shot...I usually get a flu shot because I'm a teacher and usually around kids all day. But not this year.

October 30, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Dodie ~ California

@ Gady Mayen – Hamilton, Canada

I understand how you feel. I had the flu over a month ago and still have residual affects, landed in my lungs and a terrible head cold. Its been over 4 weeks and I am still sick....

October 30, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Erica,
    Yes, I agree with you..... I know what they need get swine flu or flu shot, I agree with Dr. Sanjay Gupta, I know it is very important get shot. Thanks for telling us about H1N1 vaccine, it is really important.

October 30, 2009 at 10:36 pm |