October 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/30/09

At least 19 more children have died of swine flu in the U.S.  That's the biggest one-week jump. Dr. Sanjay Gupta joins us with the latest on the battle against the virus.  Plus, your economy and the mixed signals. Is the economy rebounding or not? We've got the raw politics.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Emily

That was a great panel with David, Michael, and Dan!
    Interesting points about Afghanistan and that region!

October 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@David Gergen,
    President Obama needs to provide the troops McCrystal says he needs. Biden is dead wrong, Obama is waffling. The death toll is going up daily while Obama is out campaigning and going to fundraisers. I'm disgusted.

October 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  3. Anna

Am I the only one that thinks they are giving H1N1 vaccines to inmates because they don't want the military to get sick? Maybe I'm naive. I dunno, I'm young...but it seems to make sense to me.

October 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Dodie ~ California

@ Erica Hill

We have just too many people in Southern California. I think we number between 30 – 35 million and growing exponentially. It will be very difficult to get enough vaccine to everyone who wants it in this area....

October 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Emily

@starr,
    I think that there will be more help from NATO, (not sure how much), when there is more US troops there...and I think that they have to be back there!

October 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  6. ericacnn

@Sherley – it's my understanding that, like the seasonal flu, this vaccine is only good for the current strain of H1N1

October 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Suzanne

Why do prisioners get the H1N1 shot before school children or anyone imune supressed. I have a daughter that is chronically ill and we are still waiting for the shot. The prisioners will get there's before my child? How does that rate?

October 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Emily

@David Gergen,

I think that John King has been doing a great job filling in for Anderson also....

I think that Pres. Obama Should sent troops, however if he will or not, is another question.
    What about the fact that Karzai's brother is working for the CIA!
    (Can you believe that?!)

October 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Dodie ~ California

@ Cammie

Very well stated. I completely agree. I bet all the people in Congress have their children vaccinated if they wanted to. I also feel you are right on target... they do not care about the unemployed or those that fell off radar. It really stinks!!! Its hard for me to even discuss this with out getting angry.

October 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Barry Ciota

province by province to determine troops?
    thats time wasting!

October 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

David Gergen
    I agree with you, John King is doing great job for Anderson, I also miss Anderson this week..... He is so cute! 🙂
    I think that people have to get H1N1 vaccine shot or don't want take shot, I got flu shot also 2 days ago..... It help me feel better and strong enough.

October 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Monika

I'm 29 weeks pregnant. The vaccine is not even availble here where I live. It makes me furious that they are even talking about having the vaccine available to GITMO inmates...they should be the last ones on the list.

October 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  13. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ David Gergen, Hi, glad to see you on the blog tonigt with two excellent questions too.

On the vaccine, i think there are so many variables when making a vaccine, that this delay is explanable. What i am concerned about is how the regular flu shots are not avilable.

On Afganistan, the President faces a multitude of problems on many levels in that war. Dealing with an illigitimate government makes his decision even harder. I beleive that power sharing is the Only way to go. If no power share, Karsai has to resign.

However, we cannot leave because of the staregic nature of Afganistan. We definitely need more help from NATO too. And, not just military.

October 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  14. ericacnn

@Mike – the CDC has been releasing weekly updates on the outbreak re: number of states and mortality rates, including children, weekly and we have been bringing them to you weekly. I know we have talked about these numbers in relation to typical seasonal flu mortality rates in the past, as well.

October 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  15. Manuel-=-Reno Nv.

it is important to discuss H1N1 and children.should but, give more info on seniors like myself–78 yrs old with asthma and COPD.otherwise in good health.

October 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Joe

Why is it that presumed terrorists are being offered the H1N1 vaccine and our 11 year old asthmatic son can't get the vaccine due to the unavailability of the vaccine? Ironic given the fact that the terrorists don't value life. Hopefully, no innocent child will die due to a terrorist being innoculated.

October 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Sondra

Everyone should have healthcare. Watch the documentary Sicko (Michael Moore, it's really good) and see a different side than the one doctors, hospitals, HMO's, etc. are saying. And we don't have to make it exactly the same as other countries. And doctors keep raising prices for those w/o insurance. They accept insurance to write some prescriptions but not others; I've seen doctors charge insurance and co-pay, then demand $200 in the exam room and pocket the money to give you the prescription for medicine that you need. Problems? What happened to the hippocratic oath?

October 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  18. cicly

hey erica; it's standard practice all the time at our house to wash hands as soon as you come in( and hum "happy birthday" song while washing,) and for a long time now we've been stocked up on hand sanitizer. it's a bit un-nerving at this time with children,isn't it?

October 30, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Dulcie - Denver

@David Gergen,

I don't really understand why everyone is blaming the government for the lack of H1N1 vaccine. The government can't distribute what it doesn't have. (Well, money aside, but that's a different issue) It took longer to make the vaccine than planned. Seems to me the lack of foresight rests at the feet of the manufacturers, not the government.

Yeah, I don't get it.

October 30, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Anna

I'm 29 and once I do get a job I'm going to save my money and act like the next Great Depression is coming, cause I think it is. There should be no reason for me to personally know seven college grads (some with masters) who WERE employed, but now aren't. I make eight. We're too young to not work!! I'm just glad I haven't started a family yet!

October 30, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@David Gergen "Do you think that the government has done a good job in providing H1N1 vaccine?"

Honestly, how would we know? That's kind of a loaded question, isn't it? Seems everything is working fine but, typical of the American public, we want a quick fix to everything.

October 30, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Stacy

@Mike: I agree that the fact-checking, debunking, and context regarding H1N1 could have been more timely. But better late than never? I appreciate the current reporting.

October 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    IT could be because many of these people have also passed away with a secondary cause of death...it takes time for them to conduct the autopsy and then collect all the data!

October 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  24. David, Indiana

@Isabel, nice to see you here, missed you.

Rep Pence is my congressman actually and it's good to see him, but it is the responsibility of the govt to offer detainees the H1N1 vaccine. I hope the congressman is not suggesting that the govt should not offer necessary medical care to captive prisoners smack dab in the middle of a world wide pandemic.

He is right about job creation. Clinton was focused like a laser on that as I remember, but also I've been hearing all summer that employment would be a lagging indicator, and overall economic growth a leading indicator. As to 2400 jobs created or not created by INDOT, I have dig into that myself, but didn't hear a complete answer from the congressman

It will be interesting to see what Republicans propose when it comes to health care. There are questions about the Dems proposed ins mandates, but I feel there's lots of work to be done to get down to workable healthcare reform.

A great intvw and discussion John King.

October 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

LOL Erica!!!!!!!!! OUCH! I know you're so funny woman!!!!! Just happened to anyone too. 🙂

October 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Ryan

My wife and I were watching your report on the H1N1 virus and we want to know one thing, why is it that they are giving healthy inmates the vaccine and you have kids here dying from it probably because they can't get the vaccine? I have 2 kids now and my wife is pregnant. 1 child is 6 and one is under 2 years. I can't get the vaccine for them until after Thanksgiving. I'm sorry that it completely unacceptable. Get your priorities straight. Get the our children protected before you get a bunch of criminals protected.

October 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  27. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Anna, I've been trying to fill two positions for weeks and can't find qualified applicants.

October 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Obama lifts HIV travel ban! Hallelujah–rational thinking.

October 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  29. Cammie

Sorry, another hypocrite Republican – they speak out of both sides, talk the talk but don't walk the walk! While the congressman talks to John King about how American families and children (re:H1N1 vaccine) are most important and that the Obama administration is so wrong YET the republicans in the senate have block Extended Unemployment Benefits 4 times in 5 weeks to American families who are in crisis!!! They don't care about unemployed American's and many families have fallen off the radar due to their obstruction.

October 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  30. Anna

@ Gergen. I miss Anderson, he's cute.

October 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  31. Sherley

Once you get the H1N1 do u have to get it every year after that or is it good only one time

October 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Emily

Good evening Erica! 🙂

Thanks for the extra info. on the H1N1 flu virus.
    I hope that all is well with your health! 😛

October 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Robert

What happened to being humane? Of corse Guantanamo Bay inmates should be vaccinated. Only a narrow minded American would think in such selfish, demonstrative terms to think no one deserved to be treated humanely.

October 30, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Susan

Why is the Pneumonia shot not being recomended? It seems complications from that type of infection are the most dangerous.

October 30, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Erica, it seems that we could have had facts on the H1N1 mortality rate being less than or equal to seasonal flu months ago. Why is this info just coming out?

October 30, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  36. Lee_Milwaukee

As long as they use the same adjuvant in the H1NI vaccine, "Squalene" that has been associated with Gulf war syndrome I will take the shot but with extreme fear for my future

October 30, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  37. Sherley

Tell me why the politicians talk against eachother badly and not try and find solutions as one. Why are they so negative. They are supose to lead by example ..... no wonder people are so negative

Sherley
    Thunder Bay , Ontario Canada

October 30, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  38. Anna

Man, I am so tired of being out of work. I've applied to about 500 jobs in the past two months. Literally. I can say that the internet is not helping. Everyone wants you to apply online instead of going to the company and being able to meet someone and sell yourself a little while you're applying.

October 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  39. cicly

hey erica & john; can anyone tell me how long someone is contagious once they have the flu? i thought my girl would go back to school today after the flu, but that cough! no cough during the day, but at night, it's hard for her to sleep, then so tired in the morning...me, no flu yet.

October 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Dodie ~ California,
    Yes, it is run out of swine flu most states, I know it is very scary thought, But I have also hear my hometown also run out of swine flu too... I agree with you.

October 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Emily

@Dodie ~ California,
    Sounds like things in California are esp. difficult right now!

I hope that things will get better for you there soon.

October 30, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  42. David Gergen

Hello everyone -

Good to see you here tonight. Isn't John King doing a great job sitting in for Anderson this week? A couple of other questions for you.

Do you think that the government has done a good job in providing H1N1 vaccine?

What should the President do about sending troops to Afghanistan if there is no new election - and Karzai remains in power as a result of what has been a fraudulent election?

Thanks. David

October 30, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  43. ericacnn

OOPS! John King was still logged in on my laptop – that was me with the Halloween Eve greeting. My apologies.

@Mike – We have no interest in hyping H1N1 at AC360 or concerning anyone unnecessarily. Our goal every day is to give you the facts, and this is a story which is front and center, constantly being updated.

On a personal note, I have spoken with a number of doctors over the past few weeks – from Sanjay to the physicians who are frequent contributors at CBS, where I work on Saturdays, to friends – and they believe this flu strain is serious and should be taken as such. As a non-medical professional, I trust their judgement. I also do my best – especially as a parent - to make sure I am keeping myself and my family well-informed on this virus.

October 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Anna

@Sondra. I wish the poorest Americans had health care.

October 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  45. starr, formerly known as vincent

I agree with Pence (sp) that while there is a shortage of vaccine, prisoners at GITMO should go without.

However, as a primarily Chistian culture, i am amazed that Pence feels that we should not treat our enemies with some compassion (even though i recognize that they might not do the same for us).

And, i respectfully disagree that insurance health reform is a government takeover.

October 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  46. carolyn j

hello, ALL.

October 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Jennifer - AZ

The administration did not say the unemployment rate would not go above 8.x%; economists estimated that figure but warned of a margin of error. If Mike can predict the future any better – please do.

October 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Sondra

I live in NY, on Long Island (Eastern Suffolk County). Does anybody know of companies that are hiring? The government should increase funds to people trying to start businesses, legalize marijuana (which would create a huge number of jobs, help people with healthcare, the taxes could offset the cost of American healthcare for everyone...), and towns should be given opportunities to create updated and modern youth centers to stop growing crime, create jobs, and make towns better.

October 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Sarah

I can't belive they are giving the H1N1 vaccine to prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. I can't get the vaccine for my 9 month old daughter due to the military base that my husband is stationed at not having it. Maybe people should stop being stupid and give the vaccine to those who actually need it.

October 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Annemarie Powderly

The mercury is used as a preservative. Mercury is a toxin which affects all cells with a special affinity for nervecells. The mercury is labeled as Thiomersal (there are variations on the name but it is the same thing, 68% mercury). I firmly believe that it is not worth the risk to take the vaccine. Especially nervous tissue (brain tissue etc) in development, for example children og and fetus , is vulnerable!

October 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |