October 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/30/09

At least 19 more children have died of swine flu in the U.S.  That's the biggest one-week jump. Dr. Sanjay Gupta joins us with the latest on the battle against the virus.  Plus, your economy and the mixed signals. Is the economy rebounding or not? We've got the raw politics.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Emily

The Job Market has changed forever!

Many jobs have been phased out, and others are done by computers, etc.

Many people are working full time in part time hours, or are in contract work.

October 30, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  2. vic nashville, tn

Bush Borrow money from China for the war in Iraq

Now we are borrowing to recover the economy

October 30, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

There is absolutely no way to verify the 650,000 number. The only certain thing is that unemployment has gotten worse by 3 million more lost jobs since Obama took office.

October 30, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Anna

I'm not getting that shot. I don't think it's that big of a deal and I'm not sure they know how safe it is. I believe in chicken soup, water, and multi-vitamins.

October 30, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Lisa St Paul, MN

The Republicans just will never give credit where credit is due.

October 30, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Pat

I think the media is wonderful. They know whats best, huh.

October 30, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Catherine

Inmates recieving the H1N1 vaccination... Wow what is wrong with this situation? There is no vaccinations available in our area. This is not fair! I have 4 children and have searched all clinics/cities to recieve... Why would the government allow this to occur? 1 death is 1 too many. This doesnt make any sense!

October 30, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Mike

My son has h1n1 and developed Bacterial Pneumonia...does this mean he is at risk to die! Please be clearer when reporting Dr. G! Please clearify tonight during the show PLEASE!

October 30, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Jessica

I am a 29yr old law student and do not fall into the CDC standards of those that are at high risk (based on the 24yr old max limit). But, I am in the classroom with, and exposed on a daily basis to those that do fall within the age limit restrictions. And they are deemed high risk. What makes me any different? Should I really be denied the vaccine when those around me are receiving the vaccine? Or should I be an exception?

October 30, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Karen

You can talk to me about where the government sends vaccine when the pharmas stop letting their employees vaccinate their healthy older kids first. Yes, that's right. I know someone who works for one and their kid above nine, perfectly healthy got their shots earlier this week when others can't.

October 30, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Jean

If the live virus in Flu Mist Vaccine is "attenuated" so that it is not
    dangerous, why can it not be given to people above age 49?
    Also, If it is a weakened strain which is "shed" for 21 hours after
    someone is given the vax, wouldn't that effectively boost the
    immunity of people who came into contact with the shed virus?

October 30, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

No detainees should get a single shot until every American who wants one gets it.

October 30, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Anna

I'm a teacher and I don' t have a job. The districts in and around St. .Louis, MO aren't hiring. They're just combining classrooms.

October 30, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Avis

I'm 11 yrs into kidney transplant, diabetic & recently had surgery. 45 year old female. Should I get the H1N1 shot?

October 30, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  15. Sondra

Guantanamo Bay should have ONLY basic medical care; definitely nothing better than the poorest of American citizens.

October 30, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  16. Emily

There is NOT enough for the American public that want it?!

October 30, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Dodie ~ California

@ Anna. Yes that is another concern. Not only that, but after the shot, if in fact it is OK, it will take several weeks for your immune system to fully work.

October 30, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Curtis - SoCal

Leave it to Arnold to speak the truth.

October 30, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Anna

@John Lindley, They're probably thinking that they don't want our military to get sick!

October 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Kris

If the children who are dying of H1N1 also have bacterial pneumonia (2ndary infection) , should we be vaccinating our children for pneumonia (pneumococcal)?

October 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  21. Richie Stein - Oswego, NY

Dear Sanjay,

I am a college student at SUNY Oswego, a state university run by New York State. NYS just issued a state of emergency for the H1N1 virus and is trying to get more vaccines. 2 classmates of mine have the Swine Flu. The college has set up thousands of hand sanitizer dispensers around the college and is promoting hand washing and other tips to keep healthy. All of us as students are doing what we can ON campus. But most of us don't feel safe. What can we do?

Thanks

October 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Sondra

Hello. Speaking of the H1N1 virus and Halloween, is it a good idea to have your children going to strangers homes and getting candy-along with whatever germs that are on the wrapper? Should children (and parents) use hand sanitizer after every house?

October 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  23. johnkingcnn

Hi, everyone. Hope you're all doing well on this Halloween Eve.

October 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Emily

there are people that are working at Gitmo, (want them to stay healthy!), and those that are there, they are still needed to provide information, are they not?

October 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Dodie ~ California

@ Megan Dresslar – Shoreline, WA

There are just too many people in California. Southern Calif has 30-35 million people. Difficult to find enough flu shots.

I have checked with the local government along with the state. There are non for Southern California. Los Angeles had some but just ran out...

Very sad. Our population may decrease by alot

October 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

John Lindley
    Exactly!!! Good point and question! Me too, I second that.....

October 30, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Annemarie Powderly

I find it very wrong to recommend a vaccine for pregnant women when that vaccine contains mercury!

October 30, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  28. David, Indiana

Good evening John King, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Happy Halloween!Sorry to be a bit getting here late.

October 30, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  29. Renee

@ Curtis: Check the airport too as Tampa International has on site swine flu shots. So check LAX too.

October 30, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Anna

What happened to the reports that there were high levels of mercury in the vaccine?

October 30, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  31. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good evening John, Erica, David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

My week is been complicated and, unfortunately, it was difficult to be here, but HAPPY FRIDAY and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

October 30, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  32. Curtis - SoCal

Wait a minute. What are the chances of the swine flu finding its' way to Gitmo? Vaccines for Gitmo detainees doesn't quite make sense.

October 30, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  33. melissa

If my child got the nasal vaccine, how quickly is it effective? There is h1n1 in his school currently (4 confirmed cases) and received the vaccine on Tuesday.

October 30, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  34. Dodie ~ California

@ Gady CA
    You're right,
    I always purchase individually wrapped candy! I would never let my son eat anything that was not wrapped.

October 30, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gady Mayen – Hamilton, Canada
    Yes! You're right.... I hope taking careful for you and us give some candies to kids.

October 30, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  36. Emily

@Gady & starr,
    Thank goodness for all those hand sanitizers!
    It's sad to think that Halloween may be coming to this! 😦

October 30, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  37. Renee

@ Curtis: Just keep calling around place to place. Check a local drugstore too or at the mall. It is readily available in my area of Florida.

October 30, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  38. starr, formerly known as vincent

Why is this virus hitting children so hard?

Truly, i pray that the H1N1 vaccine gets to everyone who needs ASAP.

October 30, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Curtis – SoCal
    You need get swine flu shot right now, I had already flu shot 2 days ago.

October 30, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  40. John Lindley

Hey Anderson –

I see that the Pentagon will offer the H1N1 vaccination to detainees at the U.S. facility at Guantanamo. What about the Americans that can't get the shot due to shortage. What are they thinking?

October 30, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  41. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

So it sounds like the H1N1 strain is just another strain of flu and no big deal. The MSM has created a panic where none is required.

October 30, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  42. Emily

I hope that the H1N1 virus doesn't add more fear to the parents of kids and prevent them from going out on Halloween night tomorrow!

October 30, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  43. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ Gady CA

You know you're right, i never thought about unwrapped candy or fruit.

October 30, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is so awful to hear 19 children death due swine flu, My heart goes to them! 😦

October 30, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Dodie ~ California

Good evening everyone,
    John King,very nice to see you here again.... Erica, Bloggers and AC360 Team

October 30, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  46. Curtis - SoCal

I wish I could get an H1N1. It's just not available.

October 30, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  47. Emily

Happy Friday John King, Erica, Martina, Megan & Bloggers!

October 30, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  48. Curtis - SoCal

@John King, will your kids be getting the H1N1 vaccine when it's available?

October 30, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  49. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hi John King! Hi Erica, and entire Team 360! TGIF

Hi fellow chatters..TGIF

October 30, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo John King (Anderson), Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Thank God It's Friday night!!! Couldn't wait this weekend........ And Happy Halloween everyone! 🙂

October 30, 2009 at 10:00 pm |