October 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/29/09

A U.S. contractor fights back during a Taliban attack. He shares his story tonight on 360°. Plus, why Sarah Palin may help a Democrat get elected on Tuesday. And, funny woman Wanda Sykes talks politics.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Cessy, Chicago IL

Hi everyone! John.. yeah...can you imagine dropping that rubber ball and breaking every elastic?

October 29, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Emily

@Gady, Are you okay now?

October 29, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  3. Emily

Wanda Sykes appears to be pretty funny from that clip!
    Looking forward to seeing more.

October 29, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  4. starr, formerly known as vincent

It's about time that Mr. Ray cancelled his events.

He has shown such disrespect towards those that died as well as their families (not to mention his follower-what ever he's got left)!

October 29, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Emily

WOW, check out that rubber ball!

October 29, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  6. serine

I think this h1 n1 thing is so over rated.
    I have been doing a lot of reading and researching this flu
    and it seems that the majority of the people who have come
    contact with h1 n1 and have died have been people with low immune systems, the elderly or people who are not healthy to begin with.
    I would like to know if I do not get this immunization what are my chances of becoming infected.

October 29, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The last time I got a flu shot I wasn't able to play the piano afterwords.

Of course I couldn't play before the shot either.

October 29, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Lisa Morris

My husband, a physian – otolaryngologist, is not getting the H1N1 vaccine. He believes based on conversations he has had, that it was not produced with as much oversight as the seasonal flu shot, and that the process was not as regulated because of the time constraints.

October 29, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

We have here in Wa State vaccine swine flu give kids and adult at schools, building, somewhere etc!

October 29, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  10. johnkingcnn

hope that in depth look at h1n1 helps answer the questions ... it is a fair debate .. and every parent should ask tough questions. but some of the stuff out there seems off key to say the least

October 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Kathy Chicago

I got a regular flu shot for the first time ever, but I'm not targeted for H1N1. My 22 year old twins don't want to get one. They are both healthy.

October 29, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  12. Jennifer

I'm gettin that shot. I trust scientists to make a safe product more than I trust the last lady in the restroom to wash her hands.

The vaccine could have a defect. You could get swine flu. I live in S.AZ and get the flu every year. I think there's a much better chance I'll catch SF than the vaccine have a defect.

October 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Lori

Are we instantly immune after receiving the vaccine?

October 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Kathy Chicago

They closed a high school in Chicago. 900 kids were sick.

October 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Susan

Everyone keeps referring to the 1976 vaccine as a fear. Is flu vaccine produced the same or differently now as it was in 1976 and what is suspected to have to caused the side effects and deaths experienced as a result of the 1976 vaccine.

October 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Sharon Hastings

I'm not saying yay or nay about the swine flu vaccine but you should know that some physicians and groups of physicians, particularly pediatricians are not in favor of the vaccine and are not administering it. They are giving information about how any of their patients that want one can get one, but their offices are not participating. I worked with a physician who got Guillion Barre after a flu shot 5 years ago. He almost died. But I'm sure that's very rare.

October 29, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Linda

Did she really say a mother is worried her children will be infertile in 40 or 50 years?
    Really?

October 29, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Emily

@ Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    There's Mercury in the vaccine, and they don't know what the side effects are now or later on down the road; how it can effect you.

October 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  19. David, Indiana

Good evening John King, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Yes, Chris Turner does sound almost casually courageous, the UN guards too, and Afghan military. I always imagine working and reporting in a war zone is unpredictably dangerous. Great intvw by Michael Ware.

Why did the taliban attack this guest house? Troubling to see this, because there are repts of peaceable times in Afghanistan. A surge would help, it seems.

Those are somber pictures of the President at Dover Air Force Base.

October 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

It's good Obama honored the fallen soldiers, but it will be of more help if he gives them the troops they need.

October 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  21. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

If we waited for all drugs to go through trials, many, many people would be dead rather than still alive. This woman who's worried about what happens to her kids 20 years from now will be lucky if they live through the swine flu, especially considering her kids are considered high risk. How utterly ignorant.

October 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  22. Emily

@ Starr, I agree with what you said about the soldiers returning home!

It's very sad indeed, however, very respectful.

October 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  23. starr, formerly known as vincent

I wish i had the chance to decline any flu shot.....

we (the whole state) have NO vaccine of any kind!

October 29, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  24. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

What is the issue with the vaccine?

October 29, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  25. gail

@ Starr
    No President Bush did not go to Dover , but he met with soldiers families and visited the wounded at Walter Reed.

October 29, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  26. michael armstrong sr. TX.

how many people from the 50% of the American population that the CDC is estemated to die how many dude

October 29, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  27. gail

Seeing the President stand there at attention and saluting the casket of the fallen moved me to tears. I am very proud that this man is our President. Seeing those caskets has an effect.I know it did on me.

October 29, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  28. Emily

Looking at John's Magic Wall re. the H1N1 virus is pretty bad!

October 29, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  29. starr, formerly known as vincent

Although it was impressive that Pres. Obama attended the return of 15 soldiers from Afganistan, it is heartbreaking that our kids are still coming home in caskets.

Did GW Ever attend Dover Delawar base?

I don't envy Pres. Obama's decision re: what to do in Afganistan.

October 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  30. Sharon Hastings

Good evening John and all bloggers. I hope President Obama winds down the war in Afghanistan and brings our troops home. I admire him greatly for his honoring those coming home in their flag draped coffins. That had to be hard. I wouldn't want to ever have to make the decisions he has to make. Easy for others to say whatever they say, they don't have to make the decision. I hope he does the right thing.

October 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  31. Emily

Great to see Pres. Obama viewing the flag-draped soldiers body's home!
    Such a say, yet, respectful sight!

October 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  32. Jane - Vt

I'm so glad President Obama went to Dover. This country needs to see the pain this war is causing. Except for those of us affected by the deployments, out of sight – out of mind.

October 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  33. gail

This man is very brave.

October 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  34. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

The President stood there from midnight to dawn? That's a lot of caskets now that I think of it. I had no idea until John framed it that way. Staggering. I'm glad the President was there to see it first-hand. Hopefully, that will make an impression as he makes the decision what to do.

October 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    I agree with you!!!!! I second that too!

October 29, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love Michael Ware interview Chris Turner!!!!! Good job Michael!!!! I like his question for Chris Turner! 🙂

October 29, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  37. starr, formerly known as vincent

WoW, what story! The gentleman gave a clear accounting of what happened.

Michael Ware is the best man to interview him given his own personal experiences.

Clearly this gentleman does not feel that he did anything special, but he did! God bless him and all of the others like him in Afganistan.

October 29, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  38. Kathy Chicago

Welcome back, JK. This is really an eye witness!

October 29, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  39. Michelle

He sounds like a really amazing guy. Mr. Ware
    thanks you for the interview.

October 29, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  40. Emily

@ John King,
    Sounds like your show, "State of the Union" is going to be great!!
    Thanks for the heads up! 😀

October 29, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I like Chris Turner saved their lives when attacked by Taliban...... He is our hero!!!!! Congrats Chris Turner! 🙂

October 29, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  42. michael armstrong sr. TX.

So why is this guy there in the first place is he a soldier.

October 29, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  43. Emily

This is an awful attack!

Great to hear that lives were saved! 🙂

Chris Turner, Congratulations!!!
    Great to hear your story from Michael Ware.

October 29, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  44. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Incredible story. As a contractor I doubt if he's paid enough for this stuff.

October 29, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

John King,
    Wanda Sykes is my favorite comedian and actress!!!! She made me laugh so hard! 🙂

October 29, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  46. Emily

Happy Thursday John King, Erica, Megan & Bloggers! 😀

Hope that you all had a great day...looking forward to the news tonight!
    Great start with Michael Ware.

October 29, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  47. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hi John! Hi Erica & Team 360.

Hi fellow chatters.....looks to be another packed news night!

October 29, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  48. Jane - Vt

Good evening everyone.

October 29, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo John King (Anderson), Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Happy Thursday night HUGS! 🙂

October 29, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  50. johnkingcnn

hi everyone ... if this is thursday .. must be JK in DC ... after a stop in delaware for some sunday show work.
    a busy show top to bottom, with some laughs for those smart enough to hang in with us tonight. wanda sykes visits 360 for a good laugh and some raw politics.

October 29, 2009 at 9:54 pm |