October 26th, 2009

What is sex addiction?

Dr. Reef Karim
Assistant Clinical Professor, UCLA
Director, Control Center (for Addictions)

Sex Addiction, also known as compulsive sexual behavior or hypersexual disorder, is characterized by inappropriate or excessive sexual behaviors or thoughts that lead to subjective distress or impaired functioning. Sex Addicts have an inability to regulate their own feelings and act out sexually in order to deal with their negative feeling states.

Behavioral Addictions like sex addiction, pathologic gambling, compulsive shopping, internet/videogame addiction and disordered eating appear to be growing due to our higher paced society and the internet. Our treatment must keep up with our technology.

For more information go here...

Filed under: 360º Follow
  1. :eah

Sex addiction is merely an excuse for people [men] to get by with bad behavior and making poor choices. I just don't buy it.

October 27, 2009 at 9:02 am |
  2. Lori

This is a very interesting ink. Thanks

October 27, 2009 at 12:57 am |
  3. Manuel Mota-Castillo, M.D.

Dr. Karim: I saw your interview in AD360 and that ignited my interest in reading your commentary. Unfortunately I was disappointed by how brief it is.
    I wanted to see your take on the connection between bipolar mania and sexual indiscretions because I believe this is an angle that has been ignored by many addiction specialists. After I saw in your website a link to "Anxiety and Rage" I became more interested in learning what your view is on this matter because rage attacks are common in bipolar individuals. Besides, "anxiety" is, in many cases, manic agitation reported by the patient as feeling "hyper" or "anxious."
    I hope you could write a more comprehensive column of this subject.
    Manuel Mota-Castillo
    Psychiatrist

October 26, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  4. Vernard Mercader

I have a cure. It's called a girlfriend.

October 26, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Pete Lash

To say that sex addiction is some type of cop-out is totally bogus. Mr. Phillips' entry into a rehab program isa rational, logical, and desireable plan. He should be given credit for making a decision to seek help and resolution to a definite condition.

October 26, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  6. Katrina Taylor

Sex addition is also known as "I needed an excuse to explain my basic stupidity and disrespect for my partner" syndrome.

October 26, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  7. Joanne P.

How does any therapist treat addiction to obsessive compulsive computer folly? Is there a 12 step program?

October 26, 2009 at 10:24 pm |