October 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/23/09

An newly released affidavit shows that the balloon boy's mom has confessed to police that the entire incident was a hoax. Plus, a supporter of self-help guru James Arthur Ray speaks out. Hear why she supports the man under investigation after three deaths at his sweat lodge ceremony.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Regina

I'm flying home for the holidays with the knowledge that the pilot is getting paid less than a manager at McDonalds and this disturbs me. Maybe a better question is, why are pilots so underpaid that the most dedicated and qualified people are not in cockpit.

October 23, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  2. kathryn

sou nds like all of the pilots had narcolepsy maybe airforce one is the only safe way to fly with resposible committedamazing stafffeeling insecure about travel lately

October 23, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  3. ericacnn

Happy Friday, bloggers! Wow – the affidavit in the Balloon Boy case, very interesting. Still waiting to hear back from both Richard and Mayumi Heene's attorneys (they have separate attorneys).

October 23, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Sam(antha), Boston MA

First of all, I just wanted to say that I feel so bad for poor Falcon, because now he's going to be known as "Balloon Boy" for the rest of his life. I strongly dislike reality television shows that star children because I just think it is a violation of these poor children's lives. They have no say in what happens to them and I think it's just sad.

On another note, ever since you played the theme song to Richard Henee's alleged show, I cannot stop singing it around my house. My mother and brother are not very pleased with this. My mother wanted me to blame you for her headaches this week. I can't help it though, the song is just too catchy.

October 23, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Martina Ilstad Germany

Its time to change the low,stop death penalty.
    There was so many doubts about Willinghams guilt.
    Terrible for him died guiltless for murder his own children.

October 23, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  6. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Well it's good the Mrs. Heene is coming clean. They shouldn't have done it, but I hope this doesn't hurt the Heene's too much. I got the feeling from the Neighbor you interviewed that they are kind of well liked.

No one asleep, no argument? I thought there was a "heated discussion." What did the flight attendants think since they'd know the arrival time and the route?

I agree with Jim Tillmon, can't imagine what they were doing if not napping. But if they were, on a long flight like that, don't the flight attendants check on the cockpit crew. I can imagine controllers and the company frantically trying to reach the crew. Thank goodness it all turned out allright.

October 23, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  7. Paul - Castro Valley, CA

Yes sleeping for sure , but the question is where were they sleeping that they didn't hear any alarms calls etc in the cockpit !!

October 23, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  8. Cessy, Chicago IL

YES! Jail time for the Henne's! Shame on them!

October 23, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  9. starr, formerly known as vincent

Kudo's arer due for almost ALL of 350 bloggers who "called it" on the balloon story!
    Now hopefully, that is the last is will every feel i need to write on this story!

October 23, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  10. Emily

Things are so different for pilots today....I knew a few pilots and they Really flew the planes when they were working. (retired now)...there was not that much that was automatic, etc. They really had to pay attention to what they were doing, including the weather, etc. Flying planes was alot different at one time....of course, so was driving a car!

October 23, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Caroline, Los Angeles

I'm heartened to see that Mrs. Heene has gotten her own lawyer. Sounds like she would like to get off of the crazy train being driven by Mr. Heene.

October 23, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Ilya Lutsenko

Good Evening,
    Has anyone spoken to the stewardess? I believe that there is no way he/she would not have noticed that they have not initiated landing at that time.

October 23, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Monica M. Williams

The flight story was alarming. As a passengar, how do you know the captain is off course? Whenever I gaze out the window the thought never occurs to me that maybe those clouds, that mountain or torain should not be? I look forward to working, napping, reading, enjoying down time while in flight. Thoughts of the cockpit also enjoying such moments is frieghetning.

October 23, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Jackie Bokath

Hello.....
    There are CCTV's everywhere you go and work. We can even watch astronauts in the space station. SO......Why don't the arilines install them in the cockpit?

October 23, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  15. nicole l

AC where r u flying to this weekend? hope the pilots don't fall asleep on ur flight or any flight..

October 23, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Caroline, Los Angeles

At first I believed the pilots' story. Then I heard that the ground tried to reach them even on their cellphones. That made me think they were sleeping.

October 23, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Paul - Castro Valley, CA

off on a flight thats half a story Mr. Cooper !! and where too ??

October 23, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  18. Cessy, Chicago IL

Anderson-you look tired... Will you sing the Henee song for us tonight?

October 23, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  19. val

Maybe the pilots were involved in some other actives in the cockpit...maybe?!

October 23, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Emily

Well, at least this plane did not go done into a house like one did earlier this year...that was awful!

October 23, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  21. starr, formerly known as vincent

Anderson, this airplane story is a strange one.

How fast does this plane go? How long would it take to go 150 Miles?

Could two pilots fall asleep at the same time?

This is a real puzzler.....I heard earlier that they had not switched their radio from Denver to the area that they were headed.

October 23, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Emily

Hey Martina,
    Glad to see you back here tonight! 😀

Hope that things are well over there in Germany. 😀

October 23, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Annie Kate

TGIF everyone! Really looking forward to the weekend.

I wonder if Mrs. Heene has a lawyer and her husband will probably have another lawyer if this means more than a split in how to deal with this situation and that Ms. Heene is about to give the boot to Mr. Heene?? I wouldn't blame her – I cringe every time Mr. Heene is on the air; he is embarrassing not only to himself but I'm sure his family as well.

October 23, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Why not put a camera to film the pilots?

October 23, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Carol

As a mother who has lost a son and who watched the balloon episode in agony for that family – I'm appalled. The poor kids don't have much of a chance with parents like that.

October 23, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Dan --- California

Who decides which is the lead story of the newscast? And again balloon boy leads.
    Is the lead story based on which story is deemed to be the most important & newsworthy? Or____________?
    Hellooooooooooo...................Erica?

October 23, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Martina Ilstad Germany

Anderson
    i plan to visit N.Y. this year again,(i was ther in summer)but every time i am so scarry,flighing over the Atlantic,But know this sleeping piolet.
    No good trustful feeling

October 23, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

If I overshoot my destination, my GPS starts yelling at me. Don't airplanes have something like that?

People from Denver and Minneapolis must be pretty nice. You'd think the passengers would just keep asking why the plane was running late until somebody finds out.

October 23, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Emily

Hard to believe that they Both fell asleep! BOTH of them?!!

October 23, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Sean B

Man, that airliner story is crazy. Why didn't any of the flight attendants notice anything wrong?

October 23, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Anderson @ Erica

What are the worst consequences, if the flight does not end well?

October 23, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  32. samora

putting on a hoax is the new FAD. i hate to say i told you so , in regards to the ballon story.

October 23, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"There goes one good paying job!"

October 23, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Cessy, Chicago IL

Hi Anderson and all you amazing 360 staff!!! You guys ROCK! for bringing Mayumi Henne back! 🙂

October 23, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Emily

Wow! ...that is really missing your exit!
    Thank goodness I was not on that flight....I'm glad that everyone was safe, however, I wonder what happened?

Will we ever hear what happened?

October 23, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Carrie-Ann

@ Erica U were right. I wanted so much to believe the balloon was not a setup, but you...you newshound you...smelled something funny from the start. I have never disagreed with you on a story before this one, but this just shows what a great news person you are. Great Job Erica.

Anderson...four words to you:

Richard Heeney...Science Detective !! 🙂

October 23, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Megan
    Good evening to you,means good morning here in Germany

October 23, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Maybe they need a Nanny Cam in the cockpit.

October 23, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

What irresponsible story... this pilots!

October 23, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Cynthia, NC

Hi everyone and Happy Friday!
    Oh boy, more of the Jiffy Pop balloon! And how does a pilot miss his destination?

October 23, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  41. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hello Anderson, Erica & entire Team 360-TGIF!!

Hellow fellow chatters- TGIF!!!

October 23, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Martina Ilstad Germany

No good time and place to sleep.
    Unbelievably

October 23, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"I knew that the story was a hoax. It had more hole in it than swiss cheese!"

October 23, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Well, Balloon Mom finally gave it up. It was only a matter of time.

October 23, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Emily

So, the 'balloon boy's' mom has admitted that it WAS all a hoax!

Shame on both of Them for exploiting their children like this!!!

I hope that they have to repay the costs, and their "parenting" is looked into!!

October 23, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Emily
    Good evening to you,thank you for your information yesterday.

October 23, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good evening everyone – Anderson, Erica, David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

Happy Friday!!!!!

October 23, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Emily

Happy Friday Anderson, Erica, Martina, Megan & Bloggers!!!!

October 23, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Good evening to you in N.Y.Oh what a week,but thank God its friday.
    After two time missed your show, i will enjoy to watch it tonight.

October 23, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! "Happy and safe Friday evening!"

October 23, 2009 at 10:00 pm |