October 19th, 2009

Send us your H1N1 questions!

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/HEALTH/08/24/us.swine.flu.projections/art.swine.flu.shot2.jpg.jpg]

AC360°

As more people are getting sick from the H1N1 flu virus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is reporting that the production of the H1N1 vaccine is slower than expected.

The CDC had hoped that about 40 million doses of H1N1, or swine flu, vaccine would be available by the end of October. But due to manufacturing delays, "we think at most it will be 10 to 12 million doses less," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, CDC's director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

Do you have questions about the H1N1 virus and the vaccine? Let us know! We'll have answers tonight.

Filed under: H1N1
  1. Theresa Crean

Doctors in my area are advising people NOT to come into offices for testing if they have flu-like symptoms since treatement for H1N1 is the same as seasonal flu. But, at what point should someone seek treatment if symptoms persist or don't abate in a reasonable time period (such as 48 hours)?

October 19, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  2. Jenn

If u get the vaccine can it cause a cold? That's what happened to my roommate and they warned her this could happen.

October 19, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  3. Tracy

When will it be available? Dr.'s office is saying to call back begining of nov.

October 19, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  4. Nicholas, Hawaii

What will be the cost? Some will have no insurance to pay.

October 19, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  5. sarah

Does the H1N1 vaccine contain more Thimerisol than the seasonal flu vaccine? Should I worry about the mercury and the affect on my children?

October 19, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  6. Robert F.Daley,Jr.

What are the side effects of the H1N1 shot? Aside from children and those with health conditions.....is there a real risk for everyone? When it's available should everyone get the shot?

October 19, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  7. Sudharshi Munaweera

I am pregnant. How safe is the H1 N1 ? what is the safest time to take it?

October 19, 2009 at 4:53 pm |
  8. Chantel

Why is the US shot inhaled? Vs the Cdn one injected? I understand there is mercury in the injection is that correct?

October 19, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  9. shell

I have never gotten a flu shot do I really need to get this one?

October 19, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  10. Heather

My coworkers son has a fever and other symptoms, as do several children in her neighborhood. They are told that the doctors are not testing for H1N1 anymore and won't be giving out Tamaflu. They say that the CDC is no longer tracking the virus.
    Is any of that true?
    If so, why is it such a big story in the media, if the CDC isn't so concerned with it any longer?

October 19, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  11. Linda O

Is it possible to get both H1N1 vaccine and the regular seasonal flu vaccine at the same visit?

October 19, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  12. Lupe

My grandson is 1yr. 11 months, my daughter was told he couldn't get his shot until he was 2. Is that true?

October 19, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  13. Marianne

There's been lots of discussion about kids and the H1N1 but what about the elderly?
    My mom is 94, relatively healthy (no major illnesses or ailments) and she just got a regular flu shot last week.
    Does she / should be also get the H1N1 shot?
    I personally don't want to get one and not sure at this point I want her to risk it ... what's your opinion?

October 19, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  14. Alicia (Windsor, Canada)

I'm 11 weeks pregnant, what are the risk factors for and against getting the vaccine for pregnant women?

October 19, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  15. Cam Morrison

Since the vaccine is delayed, what precautions can we take if we are doing a lot of airplane travel now and throughout the holidays. Should we be wearing masks on a plane, do they help?

October 19, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  16. sammi fredenburg

i just got word my 11-year-old nephew in Roy, UT has been diagnosed with it, a week after a bout with the regular flu, was told to sweat it out and take an over-the-counter pain reliever for aches. large portions of their school districts are affected, i hear very little of it here north of seattle. are some regions or environments more succeptible to it than others? or we're just lucky and maybe more careful? so far.

October 19, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  17. Shirley Cloutier

Since I am a 67 y.o. female, chances are I was exposed to the Swine flu in the 70's when it came through. I know that viruses are constantly mutating devising new and different ways to make people sick. Not sure many of us older folks will be able to handle this virus if we are surrounded by it. I know we are at the end of the list, but I hope that many of the elderly will get the H1N1 shot when it is available. I will be getting the shot since I am an asthmatic.
    Also since the regular flu shot is a "cocktail" of viruses from the past, could the original Swine flu strain from the 70's be part of this and could the fact that most seniors have had a number of flu shots over the years be the reason they are less effected by this virus?

October 19, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  18. Ryan

I've heard rumors that it hasn't been tested as well as the seasonal flu vaccine. Can you please tell us what testing has been done and how that testing compares to the normal seasonal flu vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  19. Celeste

My family has received the regular flu vaccine. Should we also ask to receive the H1N1 vaccine as well?

October 19, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  20. mary p

why is ny state the only state to mandate health care workers receive H1N1 vaccine? Ny judge recently put a stay on that decision for now

October 19, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  21. Mona

Are there any known adverse or side effect, how one could answer this question, is there any reliable study or research?

October 19, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  22. Lori from IL

How effective is the vaccine? – I know it's safe, but what is the effectiveness rate?

October 19, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  23. Lelia Sanders

Can someone who has egg allergies take the H1N1 flu shot?

October 19, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  24. Geoff

Anderson, it seems people are more afraid of the vaccine than they are of the swine flu? Is that the media's fault for downing playing the seriousness of a swine flu epidemic? How can we reverse that way of thinking before it's too late?

October 19, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  25. Janie Hare

Can people with autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis take this vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  26. Lilibeth

If I get the flu, how will I know if it’s the seasonal flu or H1N1 flu?

Should people who are at risk for complications take special precautions such as avoiding crowds?

What if I don’t take the H1N1 flu vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  27. Christine

What are the risks to children (2 years old) if given the vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  28. Hanley F

I am a Senior in High School. The H1N1 virus has started to spread around the school, with a few of my friends already falling ill. The vaccine will be offered locally in a few weeks. What should I do to prevent myself from catching the virus in my high school setting?

October 19, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  29. SUSAN CONLEY

I s the H1H1 vaccine really safe? I heard in the 1970's people died from this vaccine. I am a nurse,so I ma in the high risk group that should get it.

October 19, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  30. Alicia - Westerly, RI

Does only getting the seasonal flu vaccine make you more likely to get the H1N1 flu? Is the probability higher in children if only the seasonal flu vaccine is administered?

October 19, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  31. Mylee

From what I see h1n1 is just like any other flu. It was just progressing faster and that's what was scaring people. The images from mexico didn't help either. I know several people that got it and just rest for a few days and they were fine. Don't forget the seasonal flu have killed a lot more people per year than h1n1(so far at least)

October 19, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  32. Gail D. Ang.

Hello Anderson, I am wondering why do some states take longer to get their H1N1 vaccine? Please answer my question thank you.
    -Gail D. Ang.

October 19, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  33. Sandra

I hear that the vaccine is not effective because most likely H1N1 would have mutated. The vacine produced and currently in circulation is for the strain of H1N1 Flu that was rampant last year. Is this true?

October 19, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  34. Gary

I've already received the seasonal flu vaccine by injection. When should I get the H1N1 vaccine and should I get it by injection or nasal mist?

October 19, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  35. Angie

My oncologist doesnt want me to get it until at least 10k ppl have safely recieved this vax. Have there been ANY bad reactions to this new vax. I havent heard this being discussed?

October 19, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  36. Storm Knight

As always, there are now several bogus websites touting a cure for H1N1 or claiming that they have "additional supplies" of the vaccine. Naturally they ask for money and are using the recent deaths from the disease to scam people.

What if anything can be done to stop this side of the pandemic?

October 19, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  37. Marietta

Is it available for health care professionals (EMT Providers specifically)? Will the vaccine be mandatory for health care professionals (in general)?

October 19, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  38. Fadwa

Can you get sick from the vaccine itself?

October 19, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  39. Eileen

If you've been exposed – people in close proximity, office or home – but have not gotten sick should you still get the vaccine? Or has this exposure increased your immunity to the illness?

October 19, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  40. John Hemm

I had HINI about 6 months ago, do I need to get a vaccine ? BTW, for me, and I am HIV Positive, it was not as bad as some flus that I have had in my lifetime. Alittle fever, nasuea, that was it. The hospital that I was at in So. CA was the bad part of the experience!

October 19, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  41. MarLear V. Alston

Are there any side effects of a general flu shot? If so, what are they?

Thank you!

October 19, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  42. Heather Robertson

I have breast cancer,and will be on cemo soon.Is it save to get the shot?

October 19, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  43. B.A. Buras-Elsen

1) What pecularity of h1n1 makes the human host more susceptible to staff infection?
    2) Word is residual staff infection can lurk in the body after h1n1 symptoms have ceased. THEREFORE: Is there a failsafe blood or other diagnostic test to confirm that the human host is completely free of residual staff bacteria?

October 19, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  44. MaryAnne

Regarding kids that have died from the swine flu, did they get the vaccine or the nasal before they got sick??

October 19, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  45. Audre

These H1N1 vaccines seem to be rushed vaccines. Are there any signifigance in these batches being not "clean" as they were back in '76 that caused so many to be so sick? That is the 300 or so cases of Guillian Barre?

October 19, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  46. Michelle Twomey

I have never had a flu shot before, and I'm not one to be worried about getting sick. But, I am getting ready to travel to Italy in the beginning of November; and, I was wondering if it is crucial that I receive both the H1N1 and the seasonal flu shots before I travel? And if I should get them before my trip, how soon before I travel should I receive them.

October 19, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  47. Minnie in PDX

Just a comment. I qualified for early H1N1 vaccine and received it this morning. Aside from the usual lightheadedness I tend to get with ANY flu vaccine, I have felt fine all day. Call your health care provider if you are not sure if you qualify. The scheduler at my doctor's office had to call me back after checking with my doctor or his nurse to make sure I qualified.

October 19, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  48. carolyn j

HELLO,
    in the past every time i recieved the flue shoot, i caught the flue,
    but have the shoot? i'm going out of the country so would it be better for me to take the shoot, not to give others the virus?or not to catch myself?so far away from home.

October 19, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  49. Miki

If you get H1N1 this month, is it possible to get it again during this flu season?
    Miki – Minnetonka, MN

October 19, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  50. Becky

One more. I heard that there was an outbreak in 1976 and if you were alive then, you are immune and won't get it. Is that true?

October 19, 2009 at 3:59 pm |