October 19th, 2009

Send us your H1N1 questions!

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/HEALTH/08/24/us.swine.flu.projections/art.swine.flu.shot2.jpg.jpg]

AC360°

As more people are getting sick from the H1N1 flu virus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is reporting that the production of the H1N1 vaccine is slower than expected.

The CDC had hoped that about 40 million doses of H1N1, or swine flu, vaccine would be available by the end of October. But due to manufacturing delays, "we think at most it will be 10 to 12 million doses less," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, CDC's director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

Do you have questions about the H1N1 virus and the vaccine? Let us know! We'll have answers tonight.

Filed under: H1N1
  1. Sondra Brewer

I have never had the flu and I am 68 years old, what are my chances of getting the H1N1? I wash my hands all of the time and when I can't. I use hand sanitizer and avoid people who cough or sneeze as much as possible by moving away as far as another area. Lol
    Sondra

October 19, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  2. alexandra leh

if a scientifically-proven, but non-FDA-approved, treatment alternative to vaccinations were available - a solution that equips the immune system to successfully fight all viruses and destructive bacteria in the body - would the government support that effort? or are they too beholden to the pharmaceutical companies to acknowledge effective alternatives?

October 19, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  3. Becky

I was told that if you have the flu right now that you have the swine flu because it is too early for other types of flu. Is that correct?

October 19, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  4. S. McGlynn

Babies under 6 months can't get the vaccine. How high of a risk group are they? What extra precautions should be taken while caring for them – or for anyone "ineligible" for the vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  5. Andrea

I have Multiple Sclerosis, I had my first and only flu shot a couple of years ago and it caused a severe reaction. I was told to never have another one and it was put in my medical record. Since the drugs I take are to lower my immune system am I at a larger risk? How is this new vaccine different from the old one? Should I take the chance and have the shot?

October 19, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  6. Robin

If you become infected by the H1N1 virus while pregnant, how does that affect the fetus and the pregnancy?

October 19, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  7. Laura Cassar

If the flu is peaking early this year (I have heard October vs February) will the vaccine even be of value by the time we can get the two required doses into our kids?

October 19, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  8. Ashely Bernard

What are the side affects of the H1N1 vaccine? Are any of them fatal?

October 19, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  9. Karen Elaine

Who were the primary developers of thi h1n1 vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  10. PK

How was the vaccine grown? In chicken eggs the same way regular flu vaccine serum is grown? I do not get a flu shot each year because I am allergic to eggs and have been told by my GP to avoid taking it for fear of a reaction.

October 19, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  11. Cathi

I have heard that you should NOT get the nasal vaccine because it is made of the live virus. Is the nasal version as effective and safe as the shot is?

October 19, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  12. Chiana (Canada)

In Canada, we've heard of one study that anyone who received the regular flu shot last year is more likely to pick up this virus. I'd heard the study hasn't been replicated elsewhere, and no other country is warning its citizens. As someone who DID receive the shot last year, I'd like to know if I'm more at risk. Does the U.S. Health dept. think this is a valid concern, or have they even researched the possiblity?

October 19, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  13. Larry D

I am a heart transplant Reciepent will there be a vaccine for all transplants soon??? I know I can't have the live version only the non-live version. How safe is this for transplant people???

October 19, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  14. Ashely Bernard

What are the myths behind the H1N1 vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  15. Patty A Banks, Palmdale, Ca

From what i undersatnd, the vaccine is not yet available to my age group, I'm 63 & only the nasal is avail. now, but I'm a healthcare worker (work w/small children & the elderly)

October 19, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  16. Robin

How soon after the start of a pregnancy can/should you get the H1N1 vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  17. John Simon

Where are the most common places you can be exposed to the H1N1 virus?

October 19, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  18. Jennifer Harvey Woiccak

I keep hearing the risks associated with the vaccine are minimal...But what exactly are the risks?

And if we decide to vaccinate our 3 year old, should everyone (myself, husband & teenage son) also be vaccinated, even if we are not in one of the high risk groups?

October 19, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  19. Natasha

I took my 4 year old daughter in on Friday because she was running a fever. The doctor did a nose swap and soon after told me my daughter has the influenza A which may also be associated with the swine flu. Can doctors tell you that if they don't know for sure?

October 19, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  20. Taylor

I want an H1N1 shot, i heard that unlike the regular flu shot, this vaccine has the live virus in it, is that true? and if so, does this mean that you can get H1N1 from the vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  21. Jenn J

What is the sucess rate of the vaccine? If a person is able to only get one vaccine, is it recommended that you get the regular flu vaccine or the H1N1 vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  22. Marissa

I have already gotten my H1N1 vaccine, I am a healthcare worker and pregnant. Today I am hearing of the additive Squalene being in the vaccine. There was someone on another news channel warning against the vaccine because of this additive. What can you tell me about it? Is it in other vaccines? Is it harmful to me or a developing fetus? Thanks

October 19, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  23. Abood

Two questions:

1- Is it true that the virus was "constructed" from other viruses by human experiments? i.e. is it intentionally brought out?

2- Are the side effects for the vaccination known for sure? is any of them serious?

October 19, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  24. Julie Jensen

My son 12 year old son is on day 2 of what I'm guessing is H1N1 by what I have read and I've talked to his doctor over the phone. Will he still need the H1N1 shot?

Also, why is the H1N1 flu shot going to be so difficult to get after all of the scares to the public?

October 19, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  25. Meaghan

Just how much mercury is in this shot?

October 19, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  26. Rhonda

Which vaccine will be most widely distributed? Single-dose or multi-dose? Does the single-dose vaccine contain thimerosol?

October 19, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  27. Elayne Crain

What about people in other countries? Are there enough vaccines being produced for global use?

October 19, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  28. Lisa

Why are there no seasonal flu vaccines available? I thought only the H1N1 was delayed in production?
    When will this ease up?

October 19, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  29. PattyL

Is H1N1 likely to be an annual vaccine, much like the Influenza vaccine, or will one vaccine cover us for a "lifetime?"

Is there a formula for how the vaccine is being rolled out? We have gotten no information locally on when we might expect it.

October 19, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  30. Lisa-Asheville

I get sick a lot but I'm afraid to get the vaccine because I"ve had family members in the past get the flu after getting a regular flu vaccine. How likely am I to get the virus from the vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  31. Debralee

What are the stats for the babyboomer population. All I hear about is young kids getting the swine flu. Should we get vaccinated or not and save it for those who really need it?

October 19, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  32. missq

how can a middle school teacher (with asthma so all things respiratory are scarey!) possibly protect herself in the classroom from all the sneezy, hacking, spewing little germ carriers that useless parents sent to school anyway?!?!?!

October 19, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  33. Gretchen, San Diego

My question is: What's the truth about the safety of the H1N1 vaccine and pregnancy? I know we can't believe everything we find on the internet, but there is a rat study online that comes up with a simple search that mentions possible "fetal death", and "bone deformities". Do we know if the vaccine is safe for pregnant women, and who can we trust to get reliable information about the safety of the vaccine? I don't trust the manufacturer of the vaccine to give me objective advice, manufacturers are too invested in sales.

Thanks,

Gretchen
    Pregnant in San Diego, CA

October 19, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  34. Lisa Prell

My husband and my 9 year old son had the H1N1 virus in July. My husbands case was far worse than my son's but I am happy to report they aren't any worse for wear. However, my family was just immunized with the reqular flu shot. Should we all get an H1N1 flu shot? Does my husband and son need it since they already had it? Thanks for the help.

October 19, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  35. Christopher Wensely

As your average 22 year old (decent, normal health), how concerned should I really be about H1N1 and should I do anything different than I normally would to prevent seasonal flu?

October 19, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  36. Janae Franklin

If you have the H1N1 Virus, then will you be immune or can you get it again? Can I be a carrier and not get it myself?

October 19, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  37. Denise Hurt

Has anyone reported that having the vaccine has given them a bad reaction or death?

October 19, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  38. Chris

So can we get H1N1 from eating pork now?!

October 19, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  39. Angie

Doctors don't seem to always be testing for swine flu. We were told that's what my daughter "probably" had since several kids in her school has already tested positive for H1N1. Now how do we know whether we should or shouldn't get the vaccination?

October 19, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  40. Stacy Gable

What are some basic signs to know if your walking around with the virus.. how is different than the regular flu?

October 19, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  41. Anise Tai

How is h1n1 different from the regular flu? People have been dying from the flu for years. Why is it a surprise now?

October 19, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  42. Ron Dodd

Is the delay in the availability of the vaccine putting those on the high priority list in jeopardy?

October 19, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  43. Amy

Where can we get one and How many do they have to go around?

October 19, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  44. Alanna Leslie

Who will it be available to? And where will it be available?

October 19, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  45. Anise Tai

How is h1n1 different from the standard flu? People have been dying from the flu for years. Why is it such a surprise now?

October 19, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  46. Wes T

Will the vaccine be available at state college campuses? If so, when?

October 19, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  47. Gina Davis

it has been said that with the flu vaccine u may get sick after the shot is the same for the swine flu vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  48. Clayton Stover

Why are so many afraid of getting the vaccine? I don't understand. Isn't this like any other vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  49. Carrie

are we just guinea pigs for the vaccine? how much has it been tested?

October 19, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  50. Roxann

If you were afflicted with it last year, what are your chances of getting it again this year?

October 19, 2009 at 3:42 pm |