October 19th, 2009

Send us your H1N1 questions!

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/HEALTH/08/24/us.swine.flu.projections/art.swine.flu.shot2.jpg.jpg]

AC360°

As more people are getting sick from the H1N1 flu virus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is reporting that the production of the H1N1 vaccine is slower than expected.

The CDC had hoped that about 40 million doses of H1N1, or swine flu, vaccine would be available by the end of October. But due to manufacturing delays, "we think at most it will be 10 to 12 million doses less," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, CDC's director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

Do you have questions about the H1N1 virus and the vaccine? Let us know! We'll have answers tonight.

Filed under: H1N1
  1. Lisa

As a mother of a child with Cerebral Palsy, are there any extra precautions I can take to help stave off H1N1? I disinfect everything I can with Lysol and we use hand santizer but my son touches EVERYTHING and puts his hands in his mouth. The vaccine clinics in our area(Colorado Springs) have already been postponed due to a shortage and I am very concerned.

October 19, 2009 at 7:16 pm |
  2. amy

I keep hearing about the numbers of children that are dying from the H1N1 flu. Do we know more about these statistics? what age group has mostly been affected... were they vaccinated... did they have underlying medical issues.? I'm still on the fence about whether or not to vaccinate my otherwise healthy teen children. They have never gotten a seasonal flu shot, as they are not in a high risk group, and have also never contracted the flu. Why should I vaccinate them against this strain?

October 19, 2009 at 7:03 pm |
  3. Stephanie zevon

What about children with EGG allergies??? No one talks about it, no one is exactly sure.... There is a huge push to get young children vaccinated but no info for parents of children with egg allergies... Can they get the vaccine or not ????

October 19, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  4. cheryl

I've heard that if you get the nasal spray, you can actually pass the virus to someone else-true?

October 19, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  5. Jessica

I was given a diagnosis of possible H1N1 (did not get the Influenza A test to confirm flu of any kind) last week, and started on Tamiflu therapy. When the H1N1 vaccine is available at my workplace, should I still get it, even though I've likely already had the illness? How long should I wait before getting the shot if I do proceed?

October 19, 2009 at 6:53 pm |
  6. Tim Gibson

Is this just more hype building, a shortage to build fear.

October 19, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  7. lizzy

What can we do as parents to prevent an outbreak at our kids schools?

October 19, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  8. Annie Kate

I'm disabled with degenerative arthritis and home-bound. I do have a high school aged daughter and my son works for a hotel catering to the business traveler so he is exposed to a lot of different people on a regular basis. The only times I have taken a flu vaccine it has made me sick – once to the point I had to be hospitalized. So should I get the vaccine or just hope for the best? Thanks.

October 19, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  9. Babbet Harbison

Many of us in Tennessee have either had H1N1 or been exposed.

With the H1N1 vax coming out so late in the season will it be effective or should we go ahead and get regular flu vax?

October 19, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  10. Sabrina in Los Angeles

If you were exposed to someone with a variant of swine flu and took ill for 3 days, which is unusual for you, are you susseptable to the other strains still?

October 19, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  11. cara glade

My daughter was treated for what seemed to be, by all indications, H1N1. All symptoms were present. We were never seen by the Dr., but were prescribed Tami-flu. She is 5 & not eligible for the mist vaccine. Should I still have her vaccinated when the shot version is available?

October 19, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am wondering are these H1N1 help get vaccine shot old people just once or young kids. How much longer health their body beat disease?

October 19, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  13. Loree Waite

Is there a way to know what percentage of children who get the vaccine have adverse reactions to it? Parents want and need to know the real (not just perceived) risks and benefits.

October 19, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  14. sheri

My five-year-old son and I both have the H1N1 virus/flu now, do we need the vaccination when it becomes available in our area? Can we become infected with the virus again?

October 19, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  15. Sinead

I found out today that I have H1N1. When the symptoms are gone should I still get the vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  16. bella

is it safe for babies?

October 19, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  17. Billie Jo Willis (Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada)

What can you do if you cannot get vaccinated due to allergies to eggs?

Why is it such a big deal?

How dangerous is it for generally healthy people?

I was only 6 at the time but I don't remember such a panic or scare in 1973, is this bigger, worse and/or different?

October 19, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  18. joan hennessy

I'm a 73 year old with Asthma does that mean I should have the vaccine or go along with after 60 you just don't need it..

October 19, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  19. Alice

Why is the H1N1 vaccine so hard to find????

October 19, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  20. Tara Lachapelle

What are differences in symptoms between the seasonal flu and H1N1?

October 19, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  21. Susan

I have a 7 month old. If the vaccine isn't even available until November is it even worth getting since she'll need two doses to make it effective?

October 19, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  22. marilyn

My 2yr old son was diagnosed with the H1N1 today, he is on Tamiflu, what should I expect in the few days? And should the rest of the family be on a prophylactic treatment?

October 19, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  23. Mindy VanSlyke

My daughter in law is in the hospital with H1N1. I visited her last week before her surgery, do I need to be concerned about getting it? Also she has MRSA, was this due to the H1N1. I'm am very concerned, and would like some answers...

October 19, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  24. Larry

Is there more than one strain of the virus?

October 19, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  25. Lilibeth

Should people who are at risk of complications take precautions, for example, avoid crowds?

Lilibeth

October 19, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  26. Billy

A lot of people seem to be scared to take the vaccine, including myself. How can we be sure this vaccine is going to work? Has it been tested thoroughly enough?

October 19, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  27. Larry

Have there been any epidemiologic studies done and are they available?

October 19, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  28. Helaine

I got the regular flu shot as I usually do for the last 4 years in a row. I am very skeptical about taking the H1N1 flu shot. I am 60 years old and relatively healthy. They have said that this vaccine is a major problem to anyone that has EBV. I had mono when I was 19 so now I am questioning is it safe for me to take? As of this moment I don't think I will be getting the shot. I have heard more negatives than positives.

October 19, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  29. Larry

Are there travel restrictions if you have or have not had the H1N1 shot?

October 19, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  30. STEPHANIE

My daughter was diagnosed with the Swine Flu last week. They didn't test her, just said it wasn't the time of year for the regular flu, so they diagnose them with the Swine Flu and tell you what to look for if symptoms get worse. My whole family is dropping with the flu, some are running fevers, some are not. What are the chances of them getting it again? Should they get the vaccination after they have already had the Swine Flu?

October 19, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  31. Adam

How should meals on wheels organizations (and volunteers) prepare for the flu outbreak, and reduce transmission.

Also, for those who see snow in the winter time, how can we sanitize our winter gloves? So much emphasis has been placed on washing your hands, but your gloves touch just as much in winter time!

October 19, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  32. Larry

Have the POTUS & family, WH staff (all) and the entire senate and Congress received the H1N1 shot?

October 19, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  33. Dr. Gayle

Why is this vaccine being promoted to women who are preganant when there are guidelines from mfg and FDA saying not to give to women who are pregnant? .

October 19, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  34. Dr. Gayle

Can you please explain why you do not report that for anyone taking the nasal spray vaccine that they become contagious with flu for up to at least 21 days.

Also it can be very helpful to people, especially those in close quarters to take vitamin D3 and higher doses of vitamin C to avoid getting sick with flu, and this has much less risk that the side effects of Tamiflu.

October 19, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  35. Lei Lei

The H1N1 vaccine may have a delay in availability and when the vaccine becomes accessible it will be distributed to many people.

Will the vaccine be available in the 3rd world countries?

October 19, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  36. Larry

Will the WH show the Obamas getting the H1N1 shot?

October 19, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  37. Charlee

Thanx so much for taking questions. I have lupus and fibromyalgia. I have also suffered an MI and have hard to control Blood Pressure. I have heard that patients with neuro-muscular diseases shouldn't have the H1N1 vaccine, due to the neurotoxins contained therein. Could you please give some direction on this problem?? Thanx once again.

October 19, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  38. Madam Mijanou

If I feel the flu coming on, should I go to a hospital for care, or will a visit to the doctors office and bed rest be enough to get through this?

October 19, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  39. Danielle

When is the vaccine going to be made available and where do we go to get one? The CDC's website indicates the shots have been dispersed and that administration began last week, but does not indicate how you are to find out who is providing the vaccinations.

October 19, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  40. Renee

60 Minutes did a show last night about H1N1 being transmitted in lab rats based on the fact they were 10 feet apart in a lab in Manhattan. Would Dr. Gupta explain those findings to us? That is incredibly scary.

Also the same Deputy Surgeon General was on 60 minutes last night who was on John King's CNN Sunday show. Would you consider a call in show with this Deputy Surgeon General? She seemed to be very credible and believable.

October 19, 2009 at 5:04 pm |