October 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/19/09

Tonight, the new allegations surrounding the balloon boy story . Police say it was all a hoax and the family could face criminal charges. Plus, the new reality for men and women in the workforce and much more.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Caroline, Los Angeles

I can see why they chose Falcon to be the star of this little show. He's got the spontaneity for it. I hope to heaven no offers to make Falcon a child star begin to roll into the Hene's lives--for the sake of the kids.

October 19, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Renee

Anderson, if you EVER had to bleach bathrooms, walls and floors because of vomit, you would never play that clip! Bringing bad, bad memories to women across the planet!

October 19, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Emily

Have a great night Anderson, Erica, Martina, Megan, & other Blogger!!!

A great show tonight!

Hope to see you all tomorrow!!!

October 19, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen, Emily, Martina Ilstad and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    Day of the shot with Falcon threw up on the air or says who's hell wolf? is funny shot!!!!!! Nice shot! 🙂
    Anderson,
    Have a great night, good sleep at home after work!!!! See you tomorrow night!!! Have a plenty sleep! 😀

October 19, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  5. ericacnn

thanks for being a part of the blog tonight, all!

October 19, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Cynthia, NC

Ya'll have got to stop it with the Today Show clip......LOL.

Good night everyone and have a great Tuesday!

October 19, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Karen Gonyea, MN

Those little boys are so wonderful. I think they should get a show without their parents.

I need to go hug my kids now.

Good night!

October 19, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  8. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hurray for the Justice Dept. It's about time they went after the major dealers who are killing people over "pot".

Still can't believe the Justice of the Peace. Outragous (sp).

Thank you and good night Anderson, Erica (with a great huby).
    & team 360.

Good night fellow chatters, great blog tonight! @Minou- thanks for your support re: news topics

October 19, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good night Anderson, Erica, David (Indiana), friends… everyone!
    Great show today! Thanks!

See you tomorrow!

October 19, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  10. John-Winnipeg, MB

I love how Falcon said, "Who the hell is Wolf! "

Goodnight Anderson and Erica!

October 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Heather,calif

That's just plain wrong on so many levels. Gross!

October 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Fun show! Goodnight everyone. Peace to all of you and yours.

October 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! "The kid is good!"

October 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Michelle

Falcon's comment on Wolf Blitzer is priceless.

October 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  15. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

good night everyone – great show!

October 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Caroline, Los Angeles

Have to agree with you on all points Erica. Moms carry lots of guilt in this day and age. How great for all 3 of you that your husband gets to stay home with your son.

October 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  17. Emily

@Erica,
    Thanks for sharing your story. I think that it's great that your husband is a stay-at-home father. I know more and more fathers who are staying at home, and they are doing great!!

D'accordo to your last statement!
    Hats off to ALL stay-at-home parents!

October 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Heather,calif

I had the flu and a fever and went to a walk-in and was told they couldn't test for which one. Only a hospital can do that. I was put on Tamiflu and it was just awful.

October 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

This is one of the most absurd stories I've ever seen ... they can not get married!

October 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Teresa, OH

@Erica: re: "Hats off to ALL stay-at-home parents – it is the most demanding and rewarding job on earth."

I agree with all that but also: the most undervalued and most unappreciated by society and women in particular.

October 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Kathy Chicago

AC, I had a houseful of KU kids for a long week-end. They watch and love you. I knew you would be great with that age group! Keep up the great work.

October 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I agree, women can be harsh with each other. I was actually asked to participate in a pilot workshop to discuss this issue where I work. I was reluctant at first but ended up enjoying the discussion and meeting some real impressive women. Most of the us were simply too busy at our work to realize that we could be helping and networking with each other more.

Great discussion on the show tonight. I enjoyed it. Would love to hear what Hillary Clinton has to say about this topic!

October 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  23. Andrew-PV

Hmmm. The Canadian Government announced last week that any citizen of Toronto, the largest city in Canada, could get an H1N1 vaccine. From all the horror stories of the long lines and lack of medical coverage under the Canadian system why isn't CNN reporting that Canadians can get the vaccine that we in the US can't. Just keeping them honest.

October 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  24. Tim Weir

So my questions are, who are the four manufacturers of the H1N1 vaccine and the regulear flu vaccine? Amd what security infrastructure is in place so they are not biologically t"errorized"

Thanks

Tim

October 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@ Erica,
    You're right, It always have work together at workplace, I have groupwork my job. I agree with you and others.

October 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  26. Martina Ilstad Germany

@Megan
    Good night from far away in Germany,missed you a little bit,too bad

October 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  27. Vanessa West

I am the first and the only female Business Agent (labor) in the state of Virginia. I work for the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. Also, I am the Secretary/Treasurer of the local that I represent (2800 + members),

October 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  28. Nancy Martin-Mathewson

So much is talked about H1N1, what about the shortage of seasonal flu vaccines. I am too "old" to supposedly have to worry about H1N1, but I cannot find a flu clinic where I live, they are all cancelled due to the shortage. This is very worrisome.

October 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  29. Cessy, Chicago IL

Good follow up report on the couple that was denied marriage...I always wonder why the judge denied them...be interesting ot hear what he has to say...

October 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  30. starr, formerly known as vincent

H1N1 vaccine may be difficult to find, but a Regular flu shot is almost impossible to find where i live.

My doctors office told me, they have stopped producing regualr flu vaccines to make H1N1 vaccine.

The only place where (if it's still available) is at Walgreeens for $25 a shot (they must be making a fortune!) Usually, regualr flu shots are free.

October 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  31. Cynthia, NC

The flu visit chart is alarming. And it's only October!

October 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  32. frontline

Lets be real here, i work in a profession where women are the majority, and there is not one women there that does not resent the fact that they have to work to make, ends meet at home. I here and also see their resentment manifested as anger, pointed toward me and other men I work with, women do not want to be the bread winner in the home, they want to be home, with their kids, and no matterwhat the media tries to say, I see it everyday.

October 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  33. Caroline, Los Angeles

Wow. Look at that flu visit line! And he's saying we may not be at peak yet?

October 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  34. Michelle

Many hospitals are getting tough with regards to H1n1.
    You have to put on a mask provided by the hospital before
    you enter the building around people as well using the hand
    solution.

October 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  35. Dulcie - Denver

Arianna Huffington has a lovely sentiment, but I've very rarely experienced that. I've lost job due to lies and backstabbing by other women. It's so sad.

October 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  36. Karen Gonyea, MN

@ Erica. Your husband rocks! Tell him to keep swimming. There is a light at the end of the tunnel:)

October 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  37. Kathy Chicago

Those women were very wise. I am probably guilty of everything that is wrong with working women. I work to give more to my kids and I do everything around the house so that my husband can relax when he gets home. That part I'm ok with!

October 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  38. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

It's great to be nasal vaccine. The children complain much when it's the needle!

October 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  39. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Who cares about the sex of the person we have to work with? Can't we just be civil and practice common respect for each other (I guess thta's just naive.)?

October 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  40. Cessy, Chicago IL

@ Erica... we envy you for having to work with Anderson. heck i'll even work for free!!! 😀

October 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  41. Minou, New York City

@ Erica- ....and to YOU of course! 🙂

October 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  42. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

My question is what to do when the cough does not stop?

October 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  43. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

It's okay if women don't want to be CEOs... I graduated college in the early 90's when it felt like we were being told to be successful we needed to outperform men. But success isn't just a paycheck or high stress job. Most of my friends ended up in community service or nonprofit work, and I think they are extremely successful.

October 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  44. Minou, New York City

@ Erica- hats off to your hubby!

October 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  45. ericacnn

PS: I have been very fortunate in my career to consistently work with supportive women – I can only hope it continues! I believe it helps to put that vibe out, as well.

October 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  46. Renee

I want to offer a SHOUT OUT to stay-at-home Dads! We have several in our clrcle of friends. Nothing wrong with the Dad being the CEO at home!

October 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  47. Julie

Re: H1N1 vaccine:
    Should we be concerned that there is 25mg of thimerosol in this vaccinne???????

October 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  48. Floyd

In our area many doctors and pharmacies are now out of seasonal flu vaccine and will not get any more at all - no wholesaler has any. Did the CDC and/or manufacturers focus too much on H1N1 and cut short production of seasonal flu vaccine? We know seasonal flu kills 36K+ a year. What are high risk patients who can't get seasonal vaccine to do now?

October 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  49. Krystal Roop

I go to a Women's College. I think I am better equipped to handle women in the workplace when I enter it because we are required to collaborate constantly. Also, there is no longer a glass ceiling. It is a "labyrinth" for women... there are equal opportunities as they enter the workforce but top positions are harder to attain for women. Women still do not hold as many CEO, CIO and executive positions as men. This is what is actually representative of the problem for women in the workplace.

October 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  50. Joe Terrogano

I find it sad that women would rather work for men because of betrayal by other women. My boss is a woman and I prefer her style to the big boss's male aloofness.

October 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |