October 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/19/09

Tonight, the new allegations surrounding the balloon boy story . Police say it was all a hoax and the family could face criminal charges. Plus, the new reality for men and women in the workforce and much more.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Nancy

I think the lower pay for working women is because often it is thought that the main income in the family comes from the husband and that the wifes job is a second income that they probably don't need anyway. That was how it was when most women stayed home and raised their kids. Things have changed but ideas about wages, not so much. Many single parent families now.

October 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Karen Gonyea, MN

@ Casey Great point. work for yourself. I'm currently working on that!

October 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Sandra

is it safe to get the H1N1 vaccine and the regular flu vaccine? Does it make anyone of the vaccines less affective if you get both?

October 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  4. Shubha Kumar

I agree with Jo Ann and Jacqueline, I prefer working for and with men than women. Somehow sadly a woman seems to be another woman's worst enemy.. a SHE boss so often carries an air of superiority and arrogance that it makes it difficult to like or respect her...

October 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  5. Dawn

Loved the women story. Watch Survivor women turn on each first. I'm part of 15% of women in financial services (stockbroker). It's still an old boy network.

October 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  6. ericacnn

@Emily – there is a stigma, which I knew about but did not fully realize until my husband and I decided he would stay home with our son. It has not been easy for him but what an incredible gift for our son and our family. We see each other more than most working families – mainly because my hours are so crazy. But it is not a quick adjustment nor is it an easy one. My husband – who is an attorney – likes to joke he cut his practice down to one very demanding client who has sharpened his negotiating skills better than any courtroom could... one client with an unmatched reward, of course!

Hats off to ALL stay-at-home parents – it is the most demanding and rewarding job on earth.

October 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  7. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

This interview with Eva Longoria will be very interesting, as well as know about the perspectives of Latinos in America.

October 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  8. Sharon Hastings

I am so confused about the swine flu. We have been reassured by many "experts" who have appeared on TV that the vaccine is safe. Now not only can we not get the vaccine when we thought we could, but in our local newspaper and our local TV news here a large group of pediatricians in our city pronounced that they would not be administering the vaccine to their patients because they did not think it had been adequately tested.

October 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  9. Tawnya

The most dysfunctional place I ever worked was a non-profit (for abused women and kids) which was run by women. Even if they are jerks, I would rather work for a man any day.

October 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Dulcie - Denver

Wow, I couldn't agree more with your esteemed panel. I'm a single woman in the workplace and I hold a job with a huge responsibility. But consider this: I earn about $12,000 LESS than I made 5 years ago. And I'm afraid to ask for a raise, even though I'm shamefully underpaid.

It's my own fault. I sold my skills too cheaply when I accepted the job. I love my job, but I'm really struggling financially.

October 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  11. Karen Gonyea, MN

I agree that women are still feeling they are CEO of their homes. So hard to give up that role.

October 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Andrea, TN

This is the fiercest panel of powerful ladies I've ever seen. We need a more newsy and political version of The View with these women and Erica too.

October 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  13. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

When seeking out professional services, I prefer to engage (and hire) women. Women have to work so much harder to get to the same position as their male counterparts. My experience is that women are much sharper, more compassionate, and much more driven, ultimately giving superior results.

October 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am wondering are these H1N1 help get vaccine shot old people just once or young kids. How much longer health their body beat disease?

October 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Minou, New York City

The company I work for has a sexist dress code too. There are many rules for women and few for men!

October 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

I am afraid I am one of those women. I am constantly told I am underpaid, but I don't want to rock the boat so I say nothing. We have one woman who connives and back stabs other women in the office, but for that one we have 4 other women in "power" positions who upbuild and encourage everyone to be better.

October 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  17. Lauren

I am very familiar with the issue of bullying in the workplace. I worked for a woman who acquired a leadership position through a non-competitive process. She had issues with my competency and it resulted in abusive and bullyiing behavior, including, disrespecting me in meetings, taking credit for my work, and challenging me, at all costs. The ultimate cost resulted in her being terminated. I would love to voice her name in this email, but know that would take on her abusive and disrespectful behavior. This issue is huge and needs to really be addressed.

October 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  18. Nancy

Look. 50% of marriages end in divorce. 50% of the work force is women. Do the math.

October 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Renee

@ Mike: I work less hours per week than I did 15 years ago. I work SMARTER and delegate and motivate my team to do more. My earnings are twice the average of the men at my company.

October 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  20. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Interesting discussion regarding working women. Not only do women not make as much as men in the workplace, they have to work twice as hard to prove themselves.

And with the workplace becoming more diversified, it still is hard for women to work with men from other countries / cultures that historically haven't treated women with much respect.

October 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I read Tom's blog today and I was very surprised at the comments that could have been written by me. I have encountered rare kindnesses from women that I have worked with. Suze is on the target.If a women is secure and likes herself,she will be kinder. Women have hurt me the most in life,men have disappointed me.I'd rather work for a man anyday.

October 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Fay-CA

The negative comments on the blog post about women in the workplace were stunning and depressing–the majority of my bosses have been female and I've only had good experiences with them.

October 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Mercedes

I think it's super funny how everyone bonded over proving the Balloon Boy family was indeed a hoax. Team work never felt so good!

October 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Anthonia-Bay Area

But didnt Obama change that policy and signed a bill that allowed women to have equal pay just like men..? why is there still injustice at the work place then?

October 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Women have to get the job done. We have to make it happen and make it work!"

October 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Mike, formerly from Syracuse, NY

My business has a much higher percentage of men than women. Recruiting targets are set to try to recruit more women. Demographically there are fewer women who chose the engineering profession, so of course the percentage lags. If we could find them we'd hire them.

October 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Karen Gonyea, MN

I work with a great group of women. I guess I'm lucky!

October 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I have never felt a sense of "solidarity" with other women. Even when they pretend to help you and be your friend they will turn on you in a NY minute.

October 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Casey

Does anyone see what's happening to the balloon boys family? Yes they were wrong, but now all the media, everyone is spinning the story to how horrible they are. Give me a break you media are the ones who created this mess YOU ARE TO BLAME!!!! Let the sheriffs dept clean your mess up.

October 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Anderson is approaching another sore subject: the proverbial glass ceiling. Another reason for women (and men) to work for themselves.

October 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Joel

It would take over 700 cubic feet of helium to lift the boy. Seems like the self described scientist, Mr. Heene, should have known this.

October 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  32. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hi Erica, well translated from Arianna.

I am so glad to see this topic on 360! The panel discussion is great, although i hope some of the statements made are not true (like men just say they are comfortable with the "notion" of women making more money).
    I am happy, that my experience was such that i did not have to compete with others at work, i got raises on merit. i also never was "shy" about asking for a bonus or a raise if it was appropriate.
    And, i don't beleive that women are so competetive on the job, they are more supportive because they understand the stuggle.

October 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

Sisters are doing it for themsleves ! Working and standing on thier own two feet 1Let's hear it for us girls!

October 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  34. carolyn j

because it is true suzi...women will make your work enviorment hell.

October 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  35. robin

evening anderson,
    i hope i will one day be able to work in a job where i am paid for the work i do not what my sex is .i can't believe in this day and age this is still an issue. i guess we still have a long way to go baby.

October 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  36. David, Indiana

Yes it could be tough for a husband to make less than his wife because he would think it's his responsibility to be the primary breadwinner. On the other hand, I've been unemployed, so I'm going to be thrilled when I'm getting a paycheck and depositing money in my account. My pt. People are capable of being practical and realistic. I don't like tending toward any oversimplifications too.

I disagree about Men getting losing their jobs because they were getting paid more, isn't it the case that the biggest job losses were in fields that employed mostly men? We've seen wave after wave of job losses.

October 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Michelle

No offense but how come there are not young women
    as a part of the panel ?

October 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Cessy, Chicago IL

I agree with Tom Foreman...I think women are harsh to each other. One day they want you to be thier bestfriends, the other times, they' re your worst enemy. They like to gossip! I believe this comes from women's insecurities. This happens in my work place.

October 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

The biggest bullies I have met in the workplace have been women. Women seem to look at other women as competition they rarely go up against a man for a position but will go up against a woman fairly quickly.

October 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  40. lisal -canada

well whoever those comments are from -i dead on. Couldn't be more correct. worse than high-school, baby!

October 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  41. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

As long as they have parents at home one or the other it's good for the kids .

October 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  42. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Who works more... It depends on several factors ... is difficult to generalize!

October 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Karen Gonyea, MN

@ Erica Hats off to you. I don't know how you work full time and raise young children, but I did have to start my career over at the age of 37. That sure wasn't easy either.

October 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  44. Jacqueline, NY

That statement is so true, Tom. I hate working for women. I did have just two women whom were cool.

October 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Boy is Tom ever right! Women are vicious to other women. I would rather work with a man any day!

October 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

The chicago violence is sad too .How many more people will get killed.My prayers go out to thier families .

October 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Minou, New York City

The company I work for has a sexist dress code. I've complained about that a million times, but I'm always rebuffed by our management. I'm also not getting back up from my fellow female co-worker (nor male) in front of the managers. Women have to stop being so cowardly and speak up and stick together!

October 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  48. Mike, formerly from Syracuse, NY

Women in the same job as a man should of course be paid the same. However, they need to be willing to put in the same hours, work OT as needed, just like a man.

October 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Bullying on the job is a subject that hits close to home...too close. One more reason to work for oneself.

October 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  50. Rachel Krueger

Asking for a raise is definitely more difficult for women. As an example, I worked for the State of Wisconsin, and when I planned to ask for a raise, a male coworker recommended I not be assertive when approaching my boss and to wear a low-cut shirt. This was a a superior.

October 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |