October 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/19/09

Tonight, the new allegations surrounding the balloon boy story . Police say it was all a hoax and the family could face criminal charges. Plus, the new reality for men and women in the workforce and much more.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Renee

Good point Erica at 10:34. I am sure you do an ABOVE average job at work and home!

October 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Women who earn their own money know the value of a dollar, and They are less likely to misuse it!"

October 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Valery Lyman

Jeffrey Toobin is the best! Love the humor tonight. Plus, he nailed it. Media search for ridiculous stories that will allow them wall to wall coverage – they are fishing and the Heene family took the bait. It's as much cable news outlets fault that the nation watched "balloon boy" chase for 2 hours no questions asked as it was the Heeney family's fault.

October 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Emily

@Erica,
    There is still a stigma attached to men who are staying at home for a time to raise the child....wonder if there are any guys here tonight with thoughts about this.

October 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

The ecomnomy dictates the women working more now .The roles are sometimes reversed with men staying home with the kids .

October 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Do Dads feel guilt about not having time for family? Do dads ask for options to be able to go to soccer games, dr's appointments, etc?

October 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Patty

Which or what sympton(s) of the H1N1 flu is causing the deaths?

October 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Mike, formerly from Syracuse, NY

This isn't rocket science. As was pointed out, many women have administrative positions. Of course they get paid less than a field that requires higher education like engineering, which has more men.

October 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  9. agnes

I am so tired of the working woman saga and how difficult it is. I am one of ten (I work). My mother worked everyday...women these days complain about two? Who cares who makes the most money in a marriage..the salaries shoud be put together.

October 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Jimmy

I have a 3 year old and my wife is pregnant but we can't find the vaccine. Where can I find information on the availablity of the H1N1 vaccine?

October 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  11. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

Could not getting the swine flu vaccine cause you more harm ? What is the best form in nasal spray or neddle ?

October 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  12. cicly

the majority of all the work in the world is done by women, while women own only the smallest percentage of land. this still is a mans' world ,anywhere in the world. the transition of equality for both sexes will continue for a long time to come, again, here, and around the world

October 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Kameron

Michelle,
    I am on the fence as well as a physical therapist, for me and my children. I hope this answers some questions tonight.

October 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  14. LorenaR

Very fine comments on the part of both Anderson Cooper and his two women guests including Ariana Huffington whom I always enjoy listening to. So true about the status of women. You can look at something as unimportant as, who does the driving in the family car. more often than not it is the man. this is a small but telling symbol of the fact that we are,and always have been, a patriarchal society.

October 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Cynthia, NC,
    I agree, It is very sad for teammates lost player, My heart goes to UCONN, teammates and family.... It is so horrible crime.... I think 4th person will be arrested soon.

October 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I believe that women deserve equal pay for equal work, but I have found them to be difficult to work with.

October 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  17. Kathy Chicago

I always was paid less than men at the bank. Now I am paid more than most of the women I work with.

October 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  18. ericacnn

Arianna makes a great point about working moms, too. Never an easy answer – and who works when is a decision each family needs to make for themself. I don't believe one solution works for every family. But no matter what a woman does, in my experience as a working mother and a woman, both working outside the home and working full-time as a stay-at-home mother have challenges, rewards, and guilt.

October 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Kameron

I beg my wife to stay home with the kids, but she like many should have that level of satisfaction in the workplace and make solid earnings as well...

October 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Joe Terrogano

With Doctoral-level Psychologists, women have become the majority in the field. Salaries are fairly equivalent.

October 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I particularly think of the possibility to stop working at the time that my child is becoming literate and I see no problem in being supported by my husband!

I only wnato to have a support when I want to return to the labor market.

October 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

Hi Anderson and Erica

Women and men both roles are becoming more important in the workplace .Two paycheques are needed to provide for thier family now with the economy so bad .

October 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Emily

HI Erica,
    This is fascinating about women in the workplace....

October 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  24. Renee

Oh, Suze Orman, darling you haven't met me when it comes to compensation!

October 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  25. Karen Gonyea, MN

I think both women and men can make great stay at home parents. I loved staying home and raising my children, but I am now enjoying my career. I think women can be can be both smart and humble, strong and feminine, tough and lady-like.

October 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Sandra

I work in a male dominated job. I think it bothers the men at work that I can do the same job they can and that I excel at it. Plus they don't really know how to interact with women.

October 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  27. starr, formerly known as vincent

I am so proud that women are finally getting their due.

As a single parent, i worked hard to obtain an education to get a better paying job to make life better for my children.

Although i very much missed not having the time with my children that i wanted, but i did make extra time for reading (i taught my girls how to read) and i remained very involved with their education. I am pround of who they are now, accomplished and well educated working women.

I hope that the study was correct about the acceptance of women working in more powerful job....now let's catch up on the salaries.

October 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  28. Martina Ilstad Germany

@susan you are right,men have problems,if their wifes earns more money as their husbands

October 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  29. LisaL - Canada

during and since university, most of my experiences have been in and around what would typically be considered "male dominated" industries. i've always gotten by just fine. i must admit, though, i find a lot of women much more difficult to work with then men. but it might be just me 🙂

October 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"It's nothing wrong with women having own money!"

October 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Michelle

I'm a nurse working on a maternity unit at a local hospital who's expected to get the H1N1 nasal spray vaccine tomorrow (10/20/09).
    What are the top 3 serious side effects seen so far?

October 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

I have to agree with Suze. I believe men feel emasculated when women earn more than them even if they won't admit it.

October 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  33. Michelle

I would like to see more data. How did different age
    groups answer these questions? Where there different
    responses based on education and income?

October 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  34. Renee

It's not what you make, it is what you keep! Shriver's report also said that women want to take care of the WORLD and not themselves. Women need to learn how to keep more and get over the Mommy guilt!

October 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Thanks! 😀

October 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  36. ericacnn

Hi, everyone. Two fascinating reports today – highly recommend reading them. Interesting, too, the wording in some of the polling questions... being "comfortable with the notion" of women earning more not at all the same as being comfortable with women earning more.

October 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Lisa

It was reported that the child was missing for 5 hours, how long was the balloon in the air? Because he is in the home video and as I understand the balloon is only in the air for 2 hours. Please explain this with you next balloon hoax report.

October 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Joe

Can you ask your doctor if you are diagnosed with H1N1 can you catch it again if you are exposed once again? Or will the body build up an immunity to that strain?

October 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  39. Chris

I couldn't agree less with Jeffrey Toobin – The Heene's did take money with their stunt. The resources spent responding to and investigating this hoax are funded by public dollars. That's my money and it's not part of Richard Heene marketing budget.

October 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I can't quite agree with some statistics that say there are as many women as men in the computers areas .... in the company I work there are more women! 🙂

October 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  41. Cessy, Chicago IL

Women outpacing men in work place! A beautiful thing! Great report on this piece, Erica. I'm curious on how much more women earn more than men.

enjoy seeing Suze Orman tonight!

October 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  42. Mike, formerly from Syracuse, NY

Many families have 2 people working to afford better things, not necessities.

October 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

There are people, even some legislators, that believe that women should stay home with children. Even if the family needs the two incomes, some of these individuals believe that the family should figure out how to have the women stay home. How do we deal with that?

October 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Dulcie - Denver

I guess I'm strange. I've been on TV and I really don't have much desire to do it again. It wasn't a horrible experience or anything, but it wasn't all that exciting, either.

Huh, maybe it's just me.

October 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Women did,and do it every day,a very good job,to get a big role in the workplace.Not easy,some women have to deal their familylifes,too

October 19, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Letitia

Good point Emily!

October 19, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sandra,
    Thanks for coming in Live Blog! Enjoy join your blogging tonight!

October 19, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Anthonia-Bay Area

Good Evening Everyone!!

Sheesh! i wonder who really thought the "balloon" story was real?! Geez! i cant believe the Heene's family would really want to be famous over a balloon?!

October 19, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  49. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Currently I work, but I would stop, no problem, if I saw that this would help in the development of my son.

October 19, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Dave

I wonder if the ones who supported the Hennes in the beginning have had a reality check that they were had! Most people knew it was a hoax from the beginning. Others realized it only after the interview. But for those who didnt believe it and yet were so passionate in their defense. What is their reaction now?

October 19, 2009 at 10:28 pm |