October 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/19/09

Tonight, the new allegations surrounding the balloon boy story . Police say it was all a hoax and the family could face criminal charges. Plus, the new reality for men and women in the workforce and much more.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Leslie- Ontario Canada

Yes, they should be fined!

October 19, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The important thing is for women to have freedom of choice. I've been in both situations and if the person is at peace with itself, is valid both be taking care of the house, and go to work.

October 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Victoria

No jail time – but Richard Heene should be charged for being a world-class tool. Also, his kids remind me of the darling children from the movie "Taladega Nights". Charming and sooo well-mannered!

October 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  4. aldo morales

There were cases of Gullain-Barre syndrome following the last "rush-to-vaccinate" episode. What is the current risk?

October 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Char

First, I enjoy your show. The balloon family...if they did this to gain publicity, why are they still getting it!? To have their kids removed because of this seems far-reaching. Aren't we encouraging this sort of thing by feeding it with the public interest? I think we are somewhat "guilty" by tuning into these "stories", with reality shows or even news. Let's stop giving it attention!

October 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Steve - southern Illinois

Since when has it been "proven" that this was a hoax?

October 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Chuck G., Arkansas

Mr. Cooper,
    I had heard that people of ages 18-25 are at high risk of H1N1. I attend the University of Arkansas at Little Rock & was wondering if colleges/universities will be receiving any of these vaccines soon.
    Thanks

October 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"CNN kept the heat on!"

October 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  9. Cessy, Chicago IL

Lots of news...lots of guests tonight! Lots of laughs!...WOW!

October 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  10. Amy

H1: child had flu , Dr. said 90% chance it is H1. She had a type a positive test. How are the numbers reported for H1 to CDC? How can it be accurate if I don't know what type of flu my child had. How do I know if she need the vaccine? Taking other child to Dr. tomorrow.

Thanks.
    Amy

October 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  11. Cynthia, NC

The death of the UConn football player is a tragedy. Another death to useless violence.

October 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  12. debbie doyle

i am a nurse case manager and i work in a public setting. where can i go to get a flu shot?

13. John-Winnipeg, MB

The family is a bit strange but taking away their kids to live in foster homes is a bad idea!

14. Steve - southern Illinois

From what I've heard this guy Henne wanted to make a balloon that looked like a flying saucer and get some attention from it. Isn't it possible that his intentions were no more than that and the balloon got released accidentally and they really thought the kid was on it? Isn't that possible?

Why are so many people so anxious to see other people prosecuted? I just don't get it.

15. Dan --- California

Why is Balloon Boy the lead story?

16. Minou, New York City

@ starr – the topics you suggested haven't gotten coverage in ages on 360! It's time this show gets back to real news, I completely agree!

17. Troy Mikels

Regarding Baloon Family HOAX I am a Social Worker...When in doubt about Kids' safety...get them OUT and away from parents for at least a few days while assessing situation...no one needs to be in danger...hurry up CPS!
    T. Mikels from Las Vegas, NV.

18. Doug

IF they are convicted, I say fine them the absolute maximum, but suspend the sentence UNLESS any family member shows up on any TV show, Interview or tabloid. If they get paid for this, make them pay back the city.

19. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

People spending hours of their time following this "hoax" speaks to how "unsophisticated" and gullible our society is–not how unsophisticated the perpetrators are. And who really cares? This is a non-story being perpetuated by media attention.

20. Cindy

there really needs to be some new laws in regards to reality tv so not just any nutcase thinks he can get a show

21. Emily

Ladies...
    Now we have to make sure that we are getting the same pay for our work!
    Looking forward to this panel.

22. Joan Daniel

The Family of the "baloon boy" wanted a Reality Show. They are actually getting one right now, the only difference is they are not getting Paid for it!

23. Greg

Although no one was injured during the whole ballon hoax, the problem I have is that during the time the balloon was in the air some of Colorado's National Guard men and women could have been put in harm's way. They were considering plans to somehow transfer a rescuer to the balloon mid-flight. The fact that someone's ego for fame potentially put these heroes at risk is unfathomable.

24. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Can't they get arrested for setting up a fake press conference like that?

October 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  25. debbie doyle

my daughter had a baby 6 weeks ago and has just been diagnosed with swine flu, should she continue to breastfeed, and is there anything she can give the baby to prevent the baby from getting the flu? thanks

October 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Ashley,MSW

Good evening, I am a social worker and have been following the balloon story. Hopefully the boys stay with their parents bc cps can easily detain on the basis of exploitation and failure to protect.

October 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  27. niwat, chicago

on the lighter note...I kinda appreciate the ethereal of this news hoax scoop bring in the face of last weeks' Chicago youth violence...By the way, is there a regulation about DIY manned-ballooning?

October 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Shubha Kumar

On a serious note, what a waste of money and time, the family sure needs to pay for taking the nation for a ride...

October 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  29. Kathy Chicago

Congrats to you, Erica! I saw the Early Show on Sat.

October 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  30. Emily

Looks like good news in that video taped beating death in Chicago!

October 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  31. Nancy

I think that the balloon story should end as soon as possible, with everyone talking about it the Henne family is getting what they wanted all along. They should have to pay back the cost spent on the hoax. The next program they appear on should be court tv.

October 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Dulcie - Denver

I love the show, but I was a little appalled at how this spread like wildfire through the media. In the big scheme of things I don't even care all that much whether it was a hoax or not. It's media frenzy like this that causes people to do stupid stuff like this. It's just a dumb stunt and totally not deserving of all this airtime.

October 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Teri

I agee with Jeffery Toobin. No one was hurt. This is ridiculous..to even think of taking there children away! But then again, nothing suprises me anymore. After a friend was recently sentenced to 11 years in prison for being convicted of spitting on a cop and kicking out a cop car window (after being physically abused and pepper sprayed by the cop in his own home), and again, no one was hurt, except my friend. It's getting pretty scary in America.

October 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  34. Elizabeth

News must be very slow if all there is to talk about is some insane balloon parents. It seems this family is getting the media coverage they wanted. I am almost as sick as Falcon from hearing about them.

October 19, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Joel

Anderson –

Why hasn't anyone talked about the payload of the balloon. There is no way that contraption could lift a 45lb+ boy off of the ground. Does anyone know how much lifting power it had?

October 19, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Shirley

The media is just as much to blame as anyone else in this saga. Leave these people alone! And this talk about taking the children away from their parents is absolutely frightening – where are we? In a Gulag?

October 19, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Matt - Indiana

The parents should be fined for the expenses for the search efforts as well as the man hours of the rescue personnel. Along with community service, the parents should be required to go through family counselling as the parents need marriage counseling and the children probably need councelling as Falcon was obviously scared to death of his father, due to his vomiting during the interview. The father should be given a thorough phsychological evaluation to determine if he is an abusive parent. The parents made a very stupid mistake, but I don't think that it's such a horrible crime that they should be imprisoned and destroy the family.

October 19, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Emily

@Minou,
    I will never understand why people want to be famous either!
    I've noticed that people that "want" to be famous, usually end up being infamous ~ not the "fame" that they were looking for!

October 19, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Linda

re: H1N1 Is it safe to give the vacinne to a 2 year-old? I was just told by a physician that the vacinne has both mercury and formaldahyde. She seemed to think the mercury could interfere with brain development. I am worried about my grandson.

October 19, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  40. David, Indiana

Wow, he's not too shy about embarrassing his parents...esp his Dad, twice majorly with Wolf Blitzer.

Interesting family.

Oh Sherriff lied, good pt. Well it would be kind of cruel to arrest them.

Also, the Balloon, kind of patched up, but a complicated flying machine actually. If Mr. Heene built that he could be doing building, carpentry...

October 19, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Amy

Jan,
    I agree with you.

October 19, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Shubha Kumar

Love the energy on the show today, Mr. Cooper seems to be in a good mood!!! keep it coming..

October 19, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Sandy

When I saw Falcon vomit on live TV I instantly thought that this child may have been exposed to something dangerous in that attic, such as uncovered insulation (a.k.a. asbestos?) I normally don't like to judge people, but when I first saw the family's interview on the Today Show I felt that this was all a hoax especially after Falcon vomited. I worried that he had some sort of reaction from being in an attic for three hours. It really confirmed my feelings when the child slipped and explained that it was for "the show" and the uneasiness of the mother and other children at Falcon's remark. I do believe an investigation into the welfare of these children are warranted and reimbursement for all the resources that were used.

October 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Ron from PA

Anderson,

The Heene's could be a flight risk–literally. They could take off on their homemade balloon. : )

October 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Pat | Pittsburgh

Hi!

Folks don't beat yourselves up. Balloon Dad is psycho and Mom is an enabler. They buy in to the reality show life (2 "Wife Swaps" 2?????).

I worry about the kids. Theirs are not fit parents.

Have a great evening!

Pat

October 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Rose

Oh my these parents are really something, when i was watching the breaking news and they said there was a child in there i was saying prayers to God that he would land safely, when they landed and no c hild or basket was there i started having thoughts of wondering. I think in some way they should be penalized, they deserve it the whole country was watching, ALL day give me a break.

October 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Bridget

You are just exaggerating every opportunity and without thinking of the possibility of how you will be destroying a family. These reporters are not reporting facts and even without full details of the lives of these children or a thorough investigation, they are already reporting to have the children taken away from their parents. Yeah right, perfect situation for the children to placed in the horribly bad and awful american forster care system. I know I was stuck in the system for 4 years as a child. You could be ruining the lives of these children and family because you think the parents may be messed up for possibly making as stupid mistake by trying to get a show. Society has made these reality shows so important that perhaps they think this would be a way to help them financial. Eitherway, you don't have all the facts. Think about the children like you all say you have the best interest of the children at hand. All of you TV personalities should be ashamed of yourselves. I won't be surprised if this doesn't get posted after being reviewed.

October 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Cessy, Chicago IL

The best moments on CNN by far is Falcon Heene's " Who's WOLF?" comment!

October 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Ugo

Would have preferred to hear Mr. Toobin retract his 'feeling' that the Heene family 'looked' alright and that this was not likely a hoax - if it is indeed proven to be a hoax. I always respect his opinions.

October 19, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Sandy Pennsylvania

I meant NOT CAPABLE.

On the upside they're raising at least one kid that's NOT capable of being a good liar.

And he can't handle the stress that goes along with the lying.

I dont think he'll be doing much lying the rest of his life.

October 19, 2009 at 10:20 pm |