October 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/19/09

Tonight, the new allegations surrounding the balloon boy story . Police say it was all a hoax and the family could face criminal charges. Plus, the new reality for men and women in the workforce and much more.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gray

This is how many days that CNN has highlighted the balloon boy story? Come on now!

October 19, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  2. carol

I would like to know why the 3 boys have not been removed from this mad man and his codependent wifes home? Sounds to me like nobody is looking out for the 3 boys, and who knows the psychological abuse may be continueing!

October 19, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Amy

I feel this is a Hoax. I think kids speak of what they are taught. I also think the parents (both mom and dad) should have all the charges against them as well as jail time if they are fould guilty. The sad thing is, that the kids are the ones who will be suffering, when it should be the parents.

October 19, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Amanda Walton Fort Erie

Hi Anderson, You're all so funny tonight.. Always love the laugh and smile in such trying times.. just wondering, any advice you can give on what kind of stunt I can do to gain hoards of recognition?? Hot air Balloons (afraid of heights), having 8 kids at once (impossible, unable to have kids) Walk across the Peace Bridge Naked!! What is a girl to do??

Always enjoy everyone at AC360, it's been to far and few between since i've had my AC fix.. have a great night all!!

October 19, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

The fact that people spent hours of their time following this "hoax" speaks to how "unsophisticated" and gullible our society is–not how unsophisticated the perpetrators are. And who really cares? The media (360 for example) is the worst because this is a non-story being perpetuated by media attention.

October 19, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  6. Mike, formerly from Syracuse, NY

At a minimum this family needs to pay for all the emergency services.

October 19, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Their intension were to mislead!"

October 19, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  8. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The vaccine is nasal?

October 19, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  9. Jacqueline, NY

If you didn't like the attention and the limelight, you wouldn't be on TV yourselves.

October 19, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  10. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Wow, this is actually funny to watch. It so amuses me, they can't go to jail. They at least made us laugh and brought some humor to all of us. 😉

October 19, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Lori from IL

I don't think the mom is any different from the dad. The clip I saw of the wife's appearance on Wife Swap was just as alarming as the dad's as far as I'm concerned. I hope the family is investigated for the sake of the children.

October 19, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  12. Sandra

Good Evening everyone. First time blogger but I long time 360 watcher.

"who the hell is Wolf?" that's priceless.

October 19, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  13. Jack

I can understand the media's attention the day of the balloon incident, but now that it's been proven to be a hoax, the Heene's are getting exactly what they wanted. They have full media attention still. The parents should be charged with a misdemeanor for filing a false police report, and somehow the courts should ban the entire family from ever taking part in any type of reality TV show. After that, let it go. Please....

October 19, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  14. Andrea, TN

Who the hell's Wolf?

And while I agree they should face the law and some fines, I'm not sure that we really need to go to their house and cart them away. Let them drive themselves to the the police station, it's not like they murdered someone.

October 19, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  15. Emily

@Megan Dresslar – Shoreline, WA

"I am laughing so hard....... Jeff Toobin and Lisa Bloom have good point, I know why Falcon just sneaking inside hot balloon, No one allowed to be alone inside hot balloon!!! I love your expression as Jeff and Lisa! "

I agree with your statement here!!!

16. gene

these parents, should definatly have to pay for this "hoax"

as far as the sheriff taking it personal, he should take it personal, his whole force was tied up chasing this "balloon boy", when they could have been helping real victims.

17. Minou, New York City

The wife is obviously involved!

18. Danielle - Long Beach

Did Jeffrey Toobin really just say they aren't a risk of flight? LOL

19. Jacqueline, NY

This time Jeff is right.

And Lisa is right about those of you on TV putting down others for wanting to be on TV.

20. starr, formerly known as vincent

I have to agree with many bloggers, enough "balloon boy" and the story.

What's up with Afganistan, Iran, health care and many other important news items. Please change the topic, it's enough coverage already!

21. cicly

hahahahahaha, what a riot!

22. Curt, Sacramento

I went to bed last night with no symptoms. Today I'm too weak to get off my couch. I am in grad school in Sacramento, CA and the health center is overwhelmed.

What are my real treatment options? I tried to get Tamiflu through the local pharmacy but they were no help. The symptoms are mild but the fatigue is debilitatiing.

23. Chris Pandya

Thank goodness none of the helicopter fliers were hurt.
    The Denver International Airport was temporarily shut down.
    There needs to be some form of punishment.....and I don't think it should be about money, but some form of community service.

24. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The worst is that the child is so exposed. They are in the media as they wanted, but a terrible way! Poor kids!

25. John OBrien

We have seen enough of Mr. Heeney to see clearly that he has underlying psychological issues that manifested with the hoax and his outlandish grab for fame. He stopped at nothing including coercision of his children. He should make a public apology, seek help and pay the costs associated with Falcon's rescue efforts. If he doesn't, teh nation will expect punishment in some form.

26. Cessy, Chicago IL

Anderson–you crack me up!!! your one liner comments are the best! By the way..seeing jeff toobin this way is also funny!!!

27. Maggie

A Great Hoax. Give them a Reality Show.

28. Tim

How about the Balloon Dad charging the County consultancy fees for a great training exercise.

29. Linda

Jeffrey, don't feel too bad. I thought the father's emotions were real. However, I do think the father is a few bricks short of a load.
    As far as restitution, the police officers are on duty being paid anyway. The National Guard may need to be reimbursed for fuel for the planes, but aren't they being paid as well? And, work with the family. Don.t remove them from their home. Where is Dr. :Phil?

30. Peter Vantol

The family should be charged for all the expenses that was involved with the rescu. But the press is at fault as well to cover this .
    Shame on you !!

31. Tina in PA

First they wanted all this attention now they said they don't want all the attention if or when they are arrested. Anderson that's a good one I heard those kids have a mouth on them. Some parenting.

32. Lauren--NY (@TheGrottoTweets)

I have to say, Anderson, I am *thoroughly* entertained by this segment.

33. LorenaR

"the balloon is in custody." thanks Anderson Cooper, for one of the funniest lines i've heard lately. this is a made-for-the-media story. why is this story taking up so much of our time? maybe all the other news makes our brains tired. octomom, gosselins, balloon boy, what will be the next mindless thing that we will focus on?

34. Lori from IL

When I heard the lead story was Balloon Boy again - I thought Oh, no. But it worth it - to see animated, snarky Anderson, teasing Jeff Toobin and showing Falcon say "Who the Hell is Wolf?"

Great show so far -

35. Rob

Jon and Kate, the Heenes, let's stop exploiting our children for fame and fortune!

36. John Mohan

What defines a hoax?

Is it a hoax when media outlets go live with unsubstantiated reports of a child in a balloon, even though they know it's not been confirmed?

With no evidence whatsoever that they were attempting to deliberately deceive the media into believing their son Falcon was in the balloon, (just that they feared it was possible) the Henee's only real hoax was their attempt to fool the media with a fake UFO balloon.

Richard Heene has engaged in behavior prompting charges of child abuse, but not for hyping a tv show.

What sort of parent recklessly drives his small children into hurricanes and tornadoes without a thought as to their safety?! Observing the Heenes, one recognizes a mother and three young boys under a controlling father with a trigger-ready temper that can explode into out of control behavior.

Aside from a cryptic, incomplete tv comment of a 6 year old boy, where is any evidence that the Heenes deliberately tried to mislead the police that they definitely knew their son was in the balloon?!

37. Chaney,Sarepta, La

good evening every one, I am tired of this story,its bizarre. Mr. Heene is bizarre,....I am ready for it to go away...

38. Erica Froese

Anderson –

Balloon dad is a creep. He desperately needs parenting skills (and I am not even a parent and can see this). I feel sorry for the children. O Falcon – what an idiot.

Cooper – Don't you have anything more newsworthy? We can all see where this is going...no where. They will keep hiding and hiding the truth (re: Falcon family) and eventually, God is the only one who is really to judge what will happen from their actions. Please bring something more newsworthy than Jon and Kate and the freaky Falcons.

Erica, Canada

October 19, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Well ,we can be sure that if they ever launch another balloon and there is one of they're children inside ,no one will believe them.

40. Lurch of Easton, PA

Personally, if these people get a reality TV show after all they've done, I will neither watch the show, nor the station, nor buy any of the products advertised on that channel. The perfect way to show our disdain is to hurt the advertiser's pocketbook.

41. Jan

The Heene parents are guilty of something far more egregious than any crime they may be charged with; they are guilty of raising their kids with a poor moral compass.

42. Emily

@Brenda H,
    Many are worried about the kids, and if they parents or the father is going to be charged with anything and what!!
    This story was international, and our emotions were played with!!!

43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes! I agree! Congrats for Wolf Blitzer was awesome!
    Congratulations Mr. Blitzer and CNN that brought us the truth!

44. Antonio

1. Mr Heene built the balloon so he *knew* it didn't have the place for his boy to hide inside (it was sealed!); 2. From the images it was clearly too light to hold something inside. 3. A Falcon doesn't need a balloon in order to fly!! 🙂

45. Bridget

With all the really important news and time we could be spending on the more important issues in this world. You tv reporters have nothing better to talk about than taking children away from parents who may or may not been apart of a hoax. Give me a break. Why don't you go after the real child abusers who beat children to death and rap children daily. This is not a reason to take children away from parents. The boy could have been nervous being on tv period. You are all out of control with this story. Get real and get a life.

46. John-Winnipeg, MB

Oh Andy! I believed the balloon boy story too. Give Jeffrey Tuban a break. LOL

47. Minou, New York City

I will never understand this desire to be famous/ on TV....

48. Letitia

this kid Falcon is HILARIOUS! Dirty mouth to boot...

49. Rajeev Raghunath

Hi Anderson,

This might be reading too much into this incident, but are more people feeling that they can get into the limelight easily since the advent of the the reality TV genre? What is real anymore? I feel we are just seeing just the beginning of antics like this.

In this specific case, it is sad the way kids are involved as well.

Rajeev

50. Petur Williams, Esq.

About the severity of Heene's crime...a misdemeanor "false reporting" and little else. The "costs" incurred were minimal. The police were already working, the Colorado Air National Guard used the flight time as practice, the television crews and the rest of the media have made a fortune on the novelty of the story. These people are buffoons, not criminals.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8