October 16th, 2009

The argument about women working is over

A female U.S. soldier stands watch in Iraq in this file photo.

A female U.S. soldier stands watch in Iraq in this file photo.

Time Magazine

Forty years ago, one-third of all workers were women; now nearly half are. Rather than increasing conflict or competition between the sexes, more than three-quarters of Americans (76% of men, 80% of women) view this as positive for society; only 19% say it's negative. And that view holds regardless of age, race or political ideology: 81% of African Americans view it as a positive change, along with 84% of Latinos, 88% of Democrats and 68% of Republicans.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Women's Issues
  1. nikki

I believe that it's great that women want to work. but nowadays it seems like you have no choice. It usually takes two incomes to support a household.
    I'm thirty years old and have absolutely no interest in having a baby. Ever. People may perceive motherhood a beautiful thing. But when you have one, you barely get any support or time off from your work. Why doesn't the government help give mothers the security of knowing no one can take their job away no matter how much time you need off. Let alone the money you need while you have that time off.
    Besides that, babies gross me out.

October 17, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  2. Isabel Siaba

The important thing is for women to have freedom of choice. I've been in both situations and if the person is at peace with itself, is valid both be taking care of the house, and go to work.

Currently I work, but I would stop, no problem, if I saw that this would help in the development of my son.

October 17, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  3. JUST TELL IT LIKE IT IS

It is embarrassing that with all the men that is out of work and most
    women nowadays has the best of the jobs you would speak about
    the country as if though it is ran by women and as weak as the men
    in office are maybe they should control everything because the men
    are very spineless to let the things that are happening in America go
    on without making a stand

October 17, 2009 at 6:35 am |
  4. Tina

It is positive. Everyone wants their own money is what it boils down to. Money talks and women didn't have a say way back then b/c they didn't bring home money and didn't have means to leave if they wanted or needed to either. So, it is a good thing.

October 17, 2009 at 5:49 am |
  5. Michael Cravey

I can see this happening around me, and I think its due to a lack of a conceptual "frontier". The infrastructure is already becoming solid, and it takes a rich genius to do anything new without stepping on any toes. There aren't any natural resources that can't already be extracted via machines. Land and interactions are too sensitive to not result in trespasses of some sort. Women are objectified in society, and hiring a woman can result in the same benefits as would hiring a man, and bonus, buying an entertainer that no one admits is there for the entertainment value.

October 17, 2009 at 3:15 am |
  6. J.V.Hodgson

Why is it an "argument?" and not a debate or discussion.
    The Republican percentage smells of strong religious driven and old fashioned ideas.
    The woman is mom and has kids and looks after them at home. I feel so sad for those people.
    Our kids for sure benefitted from having a working mom in many ways, not just money, but also it teaches tolerance, patience in so many different but meaningful ways.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

October 17, 2009 at 2:10 am |
  7. AnnMarie, Jersey City

Cnn is way too suspicious. During the Wolf Blitzer interview on Larry King, I believe that the child, Falcon, was referring to "The Media" when he stated "You guys said we did it for the show." He did not say; "we did it for the show" as everyone keeps quoting him as saying. The child was obviously distracted and unconcerned which is not unusual for a 6 year old child. Shame on Cnn for editing out the beginning of Falcon's statement "You guys said". What's up with that?

October 17, 2009 at 1:38 am |