October 12th, 2009

Send us your H1N1 swine flu questions!

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/HEALTH/08/24/us.swine.flu.projections/art.swine.flu.shot2.jpg.jpg]

AC360°

A national campaign to inoculate tens of millions of Americans against H1N1 influenza began last week, with health care workers in Indiana and Tennessee targeted as the first recipients, federal health authorities said.

The CDC and other public health authorities say the new vaccine is safe, and are encouraging everyone to get it, especially those in high risk groups. But experts acknowledge that many people struggle with the decision.

Do you have questions about the H1N1 virus? Let us know! Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be on with answers tonight.

Filed under: H1N1
  1. Melissa Westfield, Massachusetts

My 7 year old daughter is traveling by plane to Florida the 1st week in November. Should she have the H1N1 vaccine along with the flu shot? I'm very nervous about her flying 1300 miles away without a vaccination.

October 12, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  2. Lisa

Will the H1N1 be combined with the seasonal flu shot next year so there is just one shot?

October 12, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  3. Mary BOZEMAN

Is some of this a "hype and scare", I understand the serious of the swine flu. and I am not trying to minimize the deadly virus.

But why would one organization publicize that they have a supply on national TV come and get your vaccination , then in the same broadcast, indicate we only have enough vaccination for a selected few. Are we trying to scare people, or inform them.

So is this a "hype and scare"

October 12, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  4. Bill Gay, Jr.

A friend of ours is "healthy" HIV positive, and she's taking meds for it. She was told it's ok to have the "regular" flu shot, but not the H1N1 shot – why is that? We know she can't do the nose "mist" as that contains a live virus, but the shot contains a "dead" virus?

October 12, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  5. Lulu Perpetua

Dear Dr. Sanjay,
    My 10 month old son, Lincoln, was vaccinated for the regular flu this month. There's so much debate about the swine flu vaccine, and with so much information available out there about swine flu and the vaccine, I am utterly confused about whether to get Lincoln the H1N1 vaccine.

What do you recommend? And what are the real risks of the vaccine?

Lulu

October 12, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  6. beverly martindale

In the 70's I took the swine flu shot and came down with gillium barre for 2 weeks, should I take this shot or pass? thanks,
    bev martindale

October 12, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  7. Timothy

Is it ok to get both the regular flu vaccine and the swine flu vaccine at the same time? Is it necessary and what are the risks and side effects? Or will the swine flu vaccine protect from normal flu as well?

October 12, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  8. Kim

What's in the cure and for which strain of influenza ? Are scientists still testing to identify what's working and what isn't ?

October 12, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  9. Emily K

Being a healthy 19 year old, I am struggling with the idea of even getting the vaccine.

Back in the 1970's, a similar flu to the H1N1 was going around..they vaccinated people but had to stop due to complications to the vaccine. They said it was safe then...

How do we know it's safe now? It may be a completely different vaccination, I do not know, but it seems like not enough testing on this new H1N1 vaccine has been done.

I guess my question is, how do we know it is safe to take with the limited testing done?

October 12, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  10. Katherine Trabert

What is the validity of a report last week stating that if you take both the seasonal flu vaccine and the H1Ni vaccine, that you will be more susceptible to getting H1N1? I want to get both, but this report does concern me. Should I just get the H1N1 vaccine?

October 12, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  11. ikhra

If an outbreak was to occur due to the H1N1 vaccine, are doctors ready ?

October 12, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  12. Karen

My bosses son has the H1N1 and there is curiosity on the approximate incubation period is for the H1N1 ??

October 12, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  13. Ellie Hardister

Hi,
    My husband had a liver transplant in January of this year. I know his immune system IS compromised. Now my question is... If this was you, would you take the H1N1 flu shot??? and Why?
    Thanks, Ellie

October 12, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  14. Karen D - Texas

Dr. Gupta,
    I have a 7 month old daughter who was given the first flu vaccine, but not the booster because the doctors office ran out of the vaccine. What are her risks for H1N1 and the regular flu? Does she need to start the regimen again since it's been over 30 days from the first vaccine? She is perfectly healthy and I'm still nursing her. I do not get the flu vaccine myself because in the past I have gotten the flu after the vaccine.
    Thank you!

October 12, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  15. Karolyn W.

I don't understand the difference between the shot and the nasal spray. I know the spray has a live virus in it. That sounds scary to me. Why is it alive? How is that better for the spray form and what are the advantages/disadvantages to nasal spray versus shot?

October 12, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  16. Stacey

I'm 32 weeks pregnant and thinking about getting vaccinated against H1N1. I would like to know what studies have been done concerning the effects of the vaccine on the fetus.

October 12, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  17. Kimberly Bell

Hi, My question is, I have a 3 yr. old who is in school 3 days weelky, His is a very healthy little boy, but i`ve recently have talked to some people regaurding the H1N1 virus and they are telling me that is very dangerous for him to get the vaccine, because they don`t know how it will affect a young child ? Whatever info you could give me would be great! Thank You Kimberly Bell

October 12, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  18. Cat Battson

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant. Is it recommended that I be inoculated for H1N1 and/or the "regular" flu?

October 12, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  19. Victoria

I had H1N1 a few weeks ago, and I was wondering if I am now immune to the virus or if it's possible to get it again.

Thanks!

October 12, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  20. Catherine

I have a question regarding the vaccination. Both my daughter and I had Guillain Barre Syndrome when we were young. She was diagnosed at 6 years old, she is 17 now. I had it when I was 10. Because of underlying health issues I am dealing with now, I should get the flu shot but I know past vaccines were out of the question for anyone with this history. Have there been any updates on this?

October 12, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  21. Jeff

I would like to know what clinical testing has been done using humans with this new vaccine. Is the virus live, attenuated, or dead?

October 12, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  22. De Lyn

No questions about the virus, but one question about the vaccine. After one month of testing, why should we trust the pharmaceutical company/ies and FDA of really knowing the effectiveness and safety of the vaccine?

I don't want an acknowledgement of my concerns. I want answers.

October 12, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  23. Erin

Can someone who has had Guillain-Barre Syndrome receive the swine flu vaccine?

October 12, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  24. Rocio Barris

Is there any side affect from the shot? Is it safe to give to a child 6 yr old?

October 12, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  25. Matt Franks

Anderson and Dr.Gupta, if you think you've already had h1n1 do you still need the vaccination? Once you've had it are you immune from getting it again?

October 12, 2009 at 3:18 pm |