October 12th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/12/09

Is it a risky strategy for the White House to take on Fox News? We've got the raw politics. Plus, Rev. Al Sharpton takes aim at Rush Limbaugh's possible bid for the St. Louis Rams. And, new facts on the H1N1 flu and vaccine from 360 M.D. Sanjay Gupta.

Want to know what else we're covering? <strong><a href="http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Late Michael Jackson is a hit with me. "That's my song!"

October 12, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  2. Maria

I think I prefer Rosanne's version

October 12, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

15 y/o new mj song ... hahaha. talking about "milking"... missed a whole verse there. Right it on your hand man! LOL Thanks for the laugh! Good night all!

October 12, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Kathy Chicago

I wish that Hillary would run in 2012. I am already tired of Obama. Good job on Regis and Kelly Lee, AC. You are always a great sport and my daughter had already sent me an email about your guns! Have a great night.

October 12, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Well, any MJ song, regardless of old or new, is something I'd be anxious to hear. I also got my tickets to the Michael Jackson "This is it" showing. I can't believe I spent as much as I did to get them but I'm curious to see it and MJ's performance, even if just rehearsals....

October 12, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Martina Ilstad Germany

A new Michael Jackson song he is dead,scarry version
    Let he RIP,

October 12, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Everyone in my family who has taken flu shots has gotten really ill, when they don't take it and they develop the flu, it has been very mild. Chances are we won't be getting the flu shot this year.

October 12, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  8. Philip // Honolulu, Hawaii

Rush Limbugh will not get an NFL Football team, maybe a "Fantasy" football team, which is what he should have, since he is all fantasy, or should I say hot air.
    Aloha

October 12, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  9. Emily

Shot out at the OK Coral!!

Ah, too bad about Polanski!!! ....no sympathizes for him!!!
    I hope that he is returned ASAP!

October 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  10. Abby

be careful of the vaccine if you are allergic to eggs!

October 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  11. Brenda Hughes

I believe President Obama and others should condemn the misinformation that FSN puts out over the air.

October 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  12. Cam, Atlanta

The President should ignore Fox just as much as they ignore airing his press conferences.

However, it is hard to not go on the offensive when you have Fox Pundits Edie Hill ask: Is this a terrorist fist-jab? Lynn Trotter jokes about assasinating Obama and Osama. Glen Beckkk states that he has a deep seated hatred of White people. Hannity states that the President is indocrinating kids. Enough is enough. Time to come out the gate swinging.

October 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Hillary should run in 2012.

October 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Are this people in this bar normal?

October 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Lori

That is a brawl!

October 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  16. starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Dr. Gupta for answering so many of the rumors and questions out there re: H1N1.

I used to avoid flu shots, and then i learned that having the vaccine every year was so much better than getting the flu.

I plan to get the H1N1 shot too.

October 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  17. Pamela

Those representing the "right" on your show want people to think that ALL watchers of FOX News are offended by the stance the White House has taken. This is not the case. I prefer REAL journalism like what's on CNN rather than FOX. However, one should be informed about dangerous people who sometimes present a bit of comedic value. It's certainly not real journalism.

October 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  18. Kathy Chicago

Thanks Dr G. My daughter and I are still trying to decide if we want the shots.

October 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  19. Monica Randklev

Mt concern about the H1N1 vaccine is that it contains Thimerisol? Why is this ingredient in the vaccine and is Thimerisol safe?

October 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Larry

Anderson Cooper the Snake Whisperer; j/k:)

October 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  21. J Dean

Limbaugh has the right to own a NFL team, however he would be a liability versus an asset to the NFL – in my opinion he is indeed a racist, no one could spew that much poison unless it is in their heart and if he is doing it to keep ratings up for his radio show it makes it even sadder because either way he’s either being driven by mere hatred for a certain group of people or for the love of money….

October 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  22. Minou, New York City

I love Dr Gupta! I love that he just admitted that drugs are being oked without being tested thoroughly enough.

October 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  23. Robert

If you take the percentage of World and National News reported by Fox News and compare it to the amout of time devoted to the Republican agend, you begin to wonder "Where's the News"

It's obvious that Fox is not a news network, and the White House should not allow them in. Just exactly what qualifies Fox Network as a News Network, just the mere claim that they are reporters??

October 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  24. Emily

Anderson, how are you and Dr. Sanjay feeling?
    Will either of you be getting this H1N1 flu shot?

October 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  25. Bea

Ok, I missed something what is the difference between the flu and the H1N1?

October 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Me too, I miss Michael Jackson!!!!

October 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  27. Cindy - Dyer, In

good night all sweet dreams

October 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  28. Lori

Does the H1N1 vaccine include mercury?

October 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  29. Paola Buitron

I am from florida and those poisonous frogs have cost me more then $800.00. In Florida poisonous frogs attacking small dogs is a huge business, every time one of those frogs attacks a dog, the dog goes into a shock mode and you have to take your dog to the VET asap, and pay $400.oo to save your dog...

October 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  30. lpfoong

Why do some people release their exotic pets into the wild when they don't want them anymore? You are responsible for them. Yikes...my sister's
    bunny just disappeared one night and they think a snake was probably the
    culprit.

October 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  31. Lori

Does the H1N1 virus include mercury?

October 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  32. Lashan

Hi Anderson I hope you had a good wknd. I love your reporting you are so polished and focused and by the way will you marry me....I always wanted to ask you that....I hope your'e smiling.

October 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  33. Jimmy

I think limbaugh needs to stick to what he does best which is nothing... plus him St. Louis.... Uhhh No

October 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  34. David, Indiana

If Rush Limbaugh has the money and can persuade someone to sell him a football team, then he's going to be an owner or part owner. Having said that, I think Mercury Morris is exactly right, once you own the team, you have lead it.

Private equity firms save companies too, but if THL made so much money using Simmons as collateral why can't they pump that money, the sizeable profits, back into the company?

That's one hairy toad. A poisonous toad? Dog and cat owners in FL have to beware.

The animals went ballistic?

October 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  35. Tasha, North Carolina

I miss MJ!

October 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  36. Nancy

CA has coyotes too (Sacramento area).

October 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  37. cathy

Live in st.louis. I don't want him as the owner. Our team has enough problems without his blatant racism as a distraction.

October 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  38. Jen R

This may sound ghoulish, but I wonder if they've thought of using these reptiles for food? People eat them in other countries, and it would make all the reptile deaths less senseless.

October 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  39. Laurie Climenhaga

I do not think it is a good strategy. Much to my chagrin, Fox news is alive and well They are not journalist, they are sensationalist. Yellow journalism is alive and well. However, that said, David is correct dismissing them gives them credibility they do not deserve.

What is the expression...keeps your friends close and your enemies closer?

Fox news is a disgrace to true journalism N.E.W.S. Report what it is...not your take on it or inject your personal agenda .....particularly with the expression "Americans....blah, blah, blah...don't speak for us it's insulting

October 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  40. Emily

“Tigers, and lions, and bears, oh my!”

@ Gloria, Brooklyn, NY, I think I would take the lions, tigers & bears over all those reptiles that are running lose out there. that snake was just too much!

October 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  41. Joe

All Exotica animals should be banned in every state except for professional keeping. Where are all the animal rights people NOW !

October 12, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Whoa!!!!! That is so huge snake I have seen!!!! I know Anderson and I love snakes Python monster, I have seen on Planet Animal channel, We have raccoons in Seattle, once attack kid,brought to hospital, He or she is okay now,

October 12, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  43. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I still don't understand why they have to euthanize the snakes...can't they ship them somewhere else? Just sad 🙁

October 12, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  44. Abby

RIP MJ. we miss you!

October 12, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  45. Lori

Exotic species affect the numbers of natural species. It is not a good thing.

October 12, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  46. Karen Gonyea, MN

Happy to live in MN. I'll take snow in Oct. over snakes

October 12, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Animals suffer because people are selfish and stupid!

October 12, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  48. Emily

That poor 7yr old girl! 🙁

Are there not fines for people who do not keep their animals locked up?

There are reptiles in more places than just.....wow, they are all over Miami, eh?

I think I would rather have a gold necklace than a python.....yuck!

October 12, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  49. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Miami, zoo on the loose? So we did it to ourselves again. Cut away their natural habitats, brought them over from their homes and let them loose from negligence. Amazing how we don't learn from the past. I feel bad for the animals. Humans need to respect these animals and call professionals to handle them.

October 12, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  50. Cessy, Chicago IL

where is that video of Anderson holding a snake?

October 12, 2009 at 10:45 pm |