October 12th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/12/09

Is it a risky strategy for the White House to take on Fox News? We've got the raw politics. Plus, Rev. Al Sharpton takes aim at Rush Limbaugh's possible bid for the St. Louis Rams. And, new facts on the H1N1 flu and vaccine from 360 M.D. Sanjay Gupta.

Want to know what else we're covering? <strong><a href="http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Robin

A lot of the snakes came from Miami zoos, when hurricane Andrew hit them.

October 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Kim

Who,what,when,where,and why ? Search for the truth with no bias,no bull ! Yeah,I see what the communications at the White House is saying. It is what it is and like her straight foward call ! Some of my best friends are Republican and don't like Obama and they watch Fox. Get on CNN for an objective coverage !

October 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Larry

Didn't know Florida has snakes? Guess you're not from America.

October 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Ken

Washington needs to be asking why this stealing/killing of American businesses is allowed. These are people with families working at such businesses as Simmons. These people should be entitled to sue for personal losses an WIN!

October 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  5. starr, formerly known as vincent

John Z is exactly right...the animals are losing their natural habitat, as in so many parts of the country. And then people shoot/kill the animals when they show up in their own terriroty.

The other point that John Z. made very well, is the release of so many exotic "pets" that are let loose (God knows why). The climate is perfect for them.

It's all very sad, and is also happening other parts of the nation too.

October 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Paul

I listened to the Simmons Beautyrest bit and I noticed the reporter never mentioned that Simmons produced a shoddy mattress and the returns to local stores were not honored by Simmons. Several local suppliers switched the product to Sealy to make a profit.

October 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  7. Lori

I am not a fan of snakes as pets.

October 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Tigers, and lions, and bears, oh my!"

October 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  9. joe m

never understood the desire to keep these 'exotic' animals as pets. human history is rife with examples of animals and some plants introduced into environments where they are not native that resulted in major headaches. like the next person i'm fascinated with animals from other places, but it just seems silly to me to want to get one as a pet.

October 12, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  10. Brian M

bay area also has wild pigs

October 12, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  11. Renee

I love Miami Metro Zoo! A great day for sure!

October 12, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo David Gergen,
    Yes! I agree with you, I believe Fox really attacking our pres. Obama. I am thinking Fox will be ban from white house.... I haven't watch on FOX at all.

October 12, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Abby

People and their pets that they realize they can't control have created a dangerous environment

October 12, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Roy

Rush Limbaugh can not expect anyone to believe that the only players that have a problem with his past comments are "black". The way that he says the word "black" is offensive to me. I would loose a lot of respect for the NFL if this move were approved.

October 12, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  15. Cessy, Chicago IL

"Animals and humans are coliding more"...Sure. but preferably not with 13ft phytons!

October 12, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  16. Robin

We really are not under animal attack in FL! But if keeps more people from moving here, great. We don't have the water to hydrate them all.

October 12, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The exotic animals like pythons are there because idiotic selfish people dump them there when they tire of them.

October 12, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  18. lisal -canada

all those critters are actually pretty cute.
    too bad human and non are in each other,s way.
    also definitely best to leave wild things alone.

October 12, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Nancy

@Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

In CA, we have rattle snakes too.

October 12, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Kathy Chicago

Great, AC! I'm headed to Fla in Nov. Now I'm really looking forward to the trip! I hope I just find shrimp!

October 12, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Lori

Racoons are very mean. They look cute but they are very strong and not shy.

October 12, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  22. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Honest i am not a big fan of animals like that.

October 12, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, Maybe it is because people are moving in on their natural habitat. They act on instinct. You can't hold them responsible.

October 12, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  24. Cynthia, NC

Oh no, snakes on the show? I'm switching over to the Jets/Dolphins game during that segment........

October 12, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  25. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hi Erica.

October 12, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Lori

Hi Anderson. Happy Monday.

October 12, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

Wow i did not know that Florida has wild iguanas and snakes!! In California we only have wild mountain lions!!

October 12, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  28. Emily

Anderson, do you have any side effects from the H1N1 Flu?

October 12, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  29. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

good evening bloggers ... joining late – i don't understand how the simmons people can take a loan and pocket it only to file bankruptcy and not repay the loans. How is this legal?

October 12, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  30. Kathy

If Rush becomes part owner of Rams, it will be his dream come true. But he will be a laughing stock, and a sickening reminder of the evil out there. This cannot stand, not in 2009, not ever. Racism is not tolerated!

October 12, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Jamal

If Rush L. does become a part owner of the RAMS, then I feel the RAMS ticket sales will suffer and that the African American RAMS team players would feel a bit comfortable due to the things said in the past.

I personally would not want to go watch a RAMS game and would feel a little funny about the NFL. His negativity on major topics throughout this country and continuous disrespect to our great president are mind boggling. I hope the NFL sends a message by not letting him be a part of the RAMS.

Thanks

October 12, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Jay - Memphis, TN

Maybe if Limbaugh got a football team, he would have a new obsession on which to focus his energy. Maybe he would find he had no more time for his radio show. Maybe Glenn Beck and Bill O would compete against each other until they sink so far into insanity, they will have to give up their shows. One can only wish.........

October 12, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Kim

If Rush becomes the owner of the STL RAMS we will boycott them!
    We are long time fans of the Rams. STL needs a better owner than that! Rush is not worthy of our team, PERIOD!

October 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Catherine

Unfortunately if Rush pays they will play

October 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Brian

How is blocking Rush from bidding on the Rams constitutional? What right does anyone have to tell Rush what to do with his money?

October 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  36. NM from PA

Limbaugh buying in to a NFL football team has nothing to do with the black president Mr. Morris... Football last time I checked was a GAME!

October 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  37. Grady Green

NFL is a capitalist organization. And last time I checked, people can say what they want in this country and not be penalized for it. Fox and Rush have a lot in common – both speak from a provocative pov AND both are being persecuted by the left for doing so.

October 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  38. Chuck

Let Rush have at it and we will see the fallout. If Rush bought out and became CEO of the company you worked for what would you do? I would do like Snagglepuss – "Exit, stage left".

October 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Omar

Faux Noise and MSNBC are no more than propaganda machine which often exaggerate and tell half-truths if not lies. I commend CNN for being more impartial, and the best all news network in the US

October 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Jordan

Rev. Sharpton seems to be forgetting that prior to Roger Goodell laying down the law as commisioner, there were thugs in the NFL such as Tank Johnson and Pacman Jones. Those are the kind of people Rush Limbaugh was referring to, not the average NFL player. This is not a race issue.

October 12, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Gerry Cates

Al Sharpton is talking about ethical standards? If Limbaugh wants to buy a team, it's a free country. Let him take his chances. He might not get any Black players to play for him and that would be a losing team.

October 12, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Sarah- IL

I'm just disappointed in Mr. Limbaugh's general attitude and unbelievable lack of care or compassion for fellow human beings. I'd like you to have him on your show Anderson, and ask him, "Why do you want to own an NFL team? Was it a childhood dream? Do you really love the game?" And let him answer. . .

October 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Courtney

This is America, a free country. If Rush can afford to buy an NFL team and abides by all the rules of purchase, then he should go ahead with it. However, everyone should just boycott the games and I would hope that all the players would quit the team. I know I'm living in a fantasy world, though. Money rules everything, unfortunately.

October 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

If Rush Limbaugh is successful in his Rams bid it would be interesting to see how ticket sales and endorsements for the team go. I'm sure there would be a decline in revenue for the Rams. I don't agree with his politics and I do believe he is a racist so I'd like to see him invest a ton of cash into this and come out a big loser.

October 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Robert Sizemore

Why would Rush Limbaugh even think about buying the St Louis Rams if not to spark the media frenzy that is now happening? Blocking the sale based on an individual's speech is ridiculous. I agree with Eugene Morris that Limbaugh would get an education if he buys into the NFL owners circle.

October 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Pat

I absolutely do not think that President Obama should give them any time as they are not the "fair and balanced" network as they claim to be. They are bias in every way and against him.

October 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Anthony

Let rush limbaugh own any team he wants. At the end of the day lets see who plays for him. We wiil see if its all about money!

October 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Debbie

Members of my family watch Fox News exclusively. The negative comments and outright lies that they repeat to me about President Obama make me sick! Fox News upholds prejudice bigots like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck as heros. Yuk! United We Stand–Divided We Fall!
    This is a time when our president needs our support. He has enough to deal with, without lies and enemies from within tearing him down. Stop being stupid Fox and find a way to be positive and honest.

White and Fed Up in Arizona!

October 12, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  49. James

If Limbaugh buys a stake in the St. Louis Rams, I will definetly not renew my tickets for the 2010 season and I've been a season ticket holder for nine years...

October 12, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Cynthia, NC

I love the new Michael Jackson song! It has an old school Jackson 5 sound. I heard it a couple of times during my drive to work this morning.

October 12, 2009 at 10:31 pm |