October 12th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/12/09

Is it a risky strategy for the White House to take on Fox News? We've got the raw politics. Plus, Rev. Al Sharpton takes aim at Rush Limbaugh's possible bid for the St. Louis Rams. And, new facts on the H1N1 flu and vaccine from 360 M.D. Sanjay Gupta.

Want to know what else we're covering? <strong><a href="http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Vince Hilser

The WH should make the claim that Fox news is not actually news. Prior to the WH making the point, Fox would claim that it is just one liberal news organization complaining about another. But Fox's activities have been insidious, and have been dialed up in the last 9 months. On balance, I don't think David's Gergen's concerns play out on this one. Fox has assumed an ill-deserved mantel of being the only real news organization to many people, some of whom are moderate. The WH is hitting them in their strength, challenging them that they are news at all, and undermining the appeal to moderates.

October 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Matt,
    Fox already have more viewer than others MSNBC and CNN combined, Because they aren't watching on FOX, Yes, They did.

October 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Lori from IL

Why does this woman thing the Obama is afraid of Fox News? Why would the White House want to go on Fox News where they know everything they say will be distorted? Perhaps the WH wants to get the news out the Fox lies the same way CNN did when they took out ads stating Fox News lied about CNN not covering the "Tea Party March"?

Quite frankly I don't think Fox viewers are capable of being insulted....

October 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Michelle D. Fonthill ,Ontario

Hello Anderson Erica Happy Monday !

Fox News is so focusesd on loud voices and opinoins it's not fair news .i rather watch Cnn

October 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Janene russeau

i agree with David .But who really who watches fox anyway they are so jaded .I wont watch fox just because the president doesnt like it.I didnt watch it anyway.Alot of the people that watch fox do not like Obama anyway.Anderson Cooper is the only one to watch!!lol

October 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Valery Lyman

I don't agree with David that the White House calling Fox what it is means that they are elevating Fox to their own level. Sorry, just doesn't follow. If you call someone a fraud you are elevating them to your level?

October 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Chaney,Sarepta, La

hello everyone... the sad thing about Faux news is that many people where I live think that they speak gospel, now I know its hard for anyone to understand but it is true.....actually its scary....... It may be their first amendment right ,but someone needs to....keep them honest.........

October 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Pat

I do not think it is wise for the President to go on to Fox. They are bullyng him to do so and it is just a waste of time. FOX is simply a Republican station and their comments on Obama are negative and critizises anything he does. I don't wast my time watching FOX. I find that they are ignorant and I would not even call them a station. If anything, they should be taken off the air. They do not give you news as CNN does, they simply critizise the democrats. Please keep in mind that I am an independent.

October 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Michael

Sorry David Gergen - YOU'RE WRONG.

FAUX NOISE is the mouthpiece of the Republican party.

Marginalizing them works because it makes them realize that watching faux noise is WRONG.

And please don't tell me a lot of people watch FOX. I can't even get MSNBC where I live, so FOX has been turned off and CNN is all I watch.

October 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  10. jonathan

...the question is, is FOX biased or not? can anyone answer the question objevctively?

October 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  11. Emily

It's not all of FOX!!! Not all the Fox media reporters are like that, There are ones that are looking for attention, however, there is more to FOX, then the maybe 3 employees that may first come to your mind!
    Some CNN contributers are also sometimes there too!

12. samora

FOX has more veiwers than CNN ?? wow didnt know this. they dont hide thier bias.

13. Gerry Cates

The News Division of FOX simply points out some “inconvenient truths” about President Obama’s words vs his actions and policies. I watch CNN and Fox. Enjoy both.

14. Daisy21

One of your guests (Errol) is still spreading the lie that the Obama administration spewed -- that Fox did not carry a Presidential speech. Fox News did carry it.....the entertainment arm did not. So what? Could people not tune to another channel to catch the President's speech ? Or was the White HOuse just peeved that some people would choose to watch an entertainment show rather than tune in to yet ANOTHER Obama speech?

15. Ernie

The problem for the White House is that they cannot shut down the media in this country like Hugo Chavez can do in Venezuela. They should welcome comments from all the media outlets even if they do not agree with them. That's democracy at its best. The WH should spend its energy on the war and health care issues not on picking a fight with Fox News.

16. Mike

Of course Obama should take on fox 'news', somebody has to. MSNBC may be biased towards the left but they don't make up stories and flat out lies about the opposition. Fox is obviously anti-Obama so why shouldn't Obama be anti-fox?

17. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Who's afraid of Fox News? Fox News are not news in the sense we all know. Fox News is not about news; it is all about politics.

18. thundavolt

Why are people getting this argument twisted. Governments should never take on the press. You know journalists and stuff. Fox "News" is television media with News attached to their name. If this has been Fox being restrained we know what happens to rabid dogs when they start frothing at the mouth and biting people.

19. David

Does this story about Fox news really deserve this much time on your show? There are a ton of issues that can be discussed. What is your real interest?

20. David

Interesting that before when people in this country bad-mouthed Bush they were called anti-American (Fox leading the charge). Now, Fox uses any piece of news to bad-mouth Obama and his policies. What happened to the rallying cries of "stand by our President"? Fair and unbalanced reporting at its best.

21. Greg

It isn't risky. It's bias. He fails to realize that opinions deserve to be heard and debated. I've seen a great deal of anti- catholic shows, but I have learned to understand my place in society as one who serves my fellow man rather than condemn them at every place where I am not received at once. I wish him a great deal of inspiration, but lets face it even I'm a man who has ground breaking ideas in politics. If I could put my self up against him so as to sway him, then I would.

22. Beth DaPolito

Of course the White House should counteract Fox news and it's representation of people in responsible positions. Their rhetoric is divisive. Fox makes belligerence look acceptable. It has a very strong bias. When reasonable comments are made they are rejected for their platform. They don't live up to their Fair and Balanced motto.

Beth

23. Patty-florida

hi Anderson , you finally have the show I have been looking for, yes who owns FOX news Merdox , dah this has been so bias show , and now it is so obvious to many people they are rally up the crazyies in this country and that is shameful -– yes pay attention this is shameful

24. Janeska

First and foremost, you MUST call a spade a spade. You have a duty to bring undercover cheaters and liers out in the open, especially when most of the stuff they do on Fox isn't News, it's GOSSIP.

Since Erica was so bold to state statistics that say SO MANY MORE people like Fox News. Let her know that we have many ill-informed people in this country who love another so-called Reality Show...with a bunch of hollering, screaming, ignorant people who LOVE negativity! Who cares if 2, 3 or 10 million idiots LOVE 'gutter talk'.

25. Minou, New York City

Happy Thanksgiving to our fellow bloggers from Canada.

26. Fred

I believe CNN has won several awards for having the most, during the election and other issues. No way does Fox News have more viewews than CNN. Fox News is not fair, and very unbalanced.

27. Liz

I am an independant voter and I find the attack on Fox news rather childish. Are there any adults in the White House. I listen to CNN and Fox and find both of your news stations occasionally out of line. I do think Obama needs to grow a thicker skin otherwise he should never have run for President. Obama should worry about the people instead of a news channel. It doesn't mean some of Fox's information is not correct and some not.

28. Elaine

It is a shame to see how the right responds to our new president. Fox News is obsessed with President Obama. I have frequently viewed their newsbroadcast and different times and it is crazy how all they do is belittle President Obama. Whether its his views, his actions, what he says, his policy. Whatever.. I have been around a long time. I never cared for many of the Presidents and we NEVER acted like this. Now I understand how the mentality must be to make people slaves. It is pure hate. It is a shame that when power changes hands the right wing can not handle it. For centuries many of us lived under the Power of the right. Its funny that now the shoe is on the other foot. The right is really showing just how ignorant they really are.

29. Dan in Capitola

Anderson, the issue is not whether or not any network is biased. The problem with Fox is that they make up dangerous assertions out of thin air and pump up their paranoid and resentful viewers. Obama should NOT deign to engage with the amoral pimps on Fox.

30. John G

I LOVE the strategy! The only way to deal with a bully is pop 'em hard in the snotbox-It's about time the "False and Biased" Farce News agenda to destroy the Democratic party was exposed. Whether it's Fox and Friends, Beck, or Hannity. the Tea Party Channel is a joke. Shine the light and watch the foxroaches scurry...

31. gail

Fox News is not just doing their jobs! They are lying about the President and that KT McFarland knows it.

October 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  32. James, Pocatello, ID.

I think it is risky, but even the media needs a form of checks and balance. I have seen much on Fox News that is plainly partisan bias. I have see such things on every news network, in my opinion if a news company of any form shows favoritism it should loose its status and any credentials of the anchors should be revoked. Your job is to tell the news not interpret it and absolutely not give us your opinion!

33. Dulcie - Denver

Hold it, lady. I don't think anyone said that the administration is afraid of anything. I agree with David Gergen – they're just freezing them out. And pick your battles. Go on Fox News at your chosen moment.

34. Heyward

I'm proud the President stood up to FOX news. Their viewers wouldn't support him no matter what he does. Why keep trying. Go Mr. President.

35. Michele Grenier

Fox news is worthless – they get their facts wrong - they do lie

I was a republican and voted for Obama and glad I did Fox news is detrimental to the health of the US!!!!

36. Kathy Chicago

David Gergen is a wise man. I think the White House has way too much on their plate already. Smart people can read between the lines, others will believe anything.

37. Leon

How come every single network claims that they're number 1? Msnbc, Cnn and Fox all claim they're number 1. I agree with the last comment, no way Fox has more than the other two combined. I am more on the left and sometimes watch Msnbc, even though they can be partisan. But there's no comparison to Fox. I say the White House is fine doing this now to make a point, but they need to make sure they don't keep doing it to prevent it from being a distraction. They are so close to reform, so hopefully it won't get to that level.

38. Sylvia

Kathy don't know anything go back to Fox
    Don't go President forget Fox
    Fox don't have the last word and I don't think their news rating is not good

39. Valery Lyman

Fox needs to be called out since in many parts of the country it is the only 24 cable news station carried. AC 360, do you know how many hotel rooms and parts of the country that don't carry you? This is what drives the ratings of Fox News – not the popularity!

40. Robert Sizemore

Hello from your neighbor in Decatur, GA.

Has the President forgot he is the President? He is the representative of everyone in the US. He should take the high ground, and ignore Fox. Fighting with the press is like wrestling with a pig, both get covered with mud.

41. Ruth McHugh

I have to disagree Fox news is right wing, I watch this channel only to see what lies they say, they are so negative, It makes me sick to see how awful they are. The only reason Fox is popular is because more right wingers watch it meaning seniors and christians. I know for a fact. The democrates don't sit around in front of a tube they have better things to do.

42. matt.b san bernardino,ca

did she compare Fox News with Dictators she is calling Fox News dictatorish, which is real true because if you backed Bush and Cheney you backed a Dicatorship

43. Kevin San Salvador, El Salvador

Anderson, Juan Wiliams just stated on Oreilly that 30% of Fox news veiwers consider themselves Liberal. Remember the saying Keep your freinds close...and your emenies closer? Just because we watch the circus doesn't mean we believe in it. Thanks

44. Hank

I try to be very open minded and not have any predispositions about any news channel, but every time I have tried to watch FOX – I have been incapable of doing it.

And let's be honest, FOX is pretty republican. Has anyone ever seen FOX saying anything positive about Obama? I don't think there is anything wrong with denying any interview with them.

I saw the O'Reilly show once, and the guy had no respect for the guest – I never would watch it again.

45. nate rand

What do you want him to do. There is no balance. CNN and PBS try to be balance but by doing so just the right side gets the balanced part. Why dont CNN and PBS hold Fox and Rush accountable. Then Obama would not have to.

Getting the accomplishments are not so easy when they are being being hammered

46. Joe Consolini

WH should stay above this. DMC should attack.
    My issue is why does "truth in advertising" not apply to "truth in news"?
    Same legal penalties should apply. News outlets will be forced to curtail obvious propaganda campaigns!

47. Salzman Epstein Tarver

As a leader you can jump to everyone's critism. It's plain and simple you can't satisfiy everyone. Fox news has such a large audience due to the fact those who oppose President listen to fox due to the fact that they are saying what they want to here. The other who agree or agree to disagree are divded by the other news programs. The white house shouldn't waste its' time with fox opionated silliness.

48. Robert

Anderson,
    This is more of the same from the white house. If you don't agree with the president or his policies then you are cast out. This administration is not listening to the entire population. They only seem to want to hear what they think is correct. It's a sad time for the United States.

49. samora

yes they are not afraid of fox they just hate em. this is true, if they wont debate these racsists here in america, how can the negotiate on the world stage ??

50. Martin Bama