October 12th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/12/09

Is it a risky strategy for the White House to take on Fox News? We've got the raw politics. Plus, Rev. Al Sharpton takes aim at Rush Limbaugh's possible bid for the St. Louis Rams. And, new facts on the H1N1 flu and vaccine from 360 M.D. Sanjay Gupta.

Want to know what else we're covering? <strong><a href="http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Anna

I am glad someone is calling fox out but I don't think it is wise for it to be the Whitehouse with the already slanted reporting that is coming from this channel. It will only get worse I am sure. I gladly avoid the fox network and will continue to do the same.

2. LorenaR

well said Mr David Gergen, i certainly can agree with you that the White House stoops to the level of Fox News in this current controversy. But, i also say, AttaPres! go after them! From day one, this president has been blamed, insulted, reviled, criticized. If the president switches his breakfast cereal tomorrow you can be sure he will be blamed, criticized, insulted and reviled by the right wing. sure we need dissident voices in a democracy, but INTELLIGENT dissident voices.

3. Nedra

FOX news is a disgrace and a major tool of propaganda for the far right. The amount of hatred and intolerance from the far right is NOT what jesus would do! Good for Obama for disengaging!!!!!!!!!

4. Michele Newby

I think that there are so many lies being told on Fox that are so incendiary as to rally the right-wing base that the current administration has EVERY RIGHT to set the record straight. Sorry to disagree with someone I admire, David Gergen, but, we have to do everything we can to stop the lying. It's time Democrats stood up. We are much of the so-called "Silent Majority."

5. Alizabeth Showers

I think the President SHOULD take on Fox News, they generally have disproportionally racist views and guest on there and durning the Election was very Bias and Deeming of the President...Also I feel That Rush Limbaugh should HAVE NO HAND in the NFL because he is openly Racist and him having ownership of a league MAINLY compromised of Black Men would be him Fulfilling his "slave owner" mentality and VERY DISCONSERTING, I would ALSO BOYCOTT ANY & ALL NFL EVENTS

6. Diane

Why is the White House so afraid of Fox News?? If you don't have anything to hide, why worry? I thought that we were still a country of free speech, that we still have 1st Amendment rights. I have NEVER heard of a President trying to do this~ Is CNN next??

7. Valery Lyman

hi all. Fox hosts such as Glenn Beck have crossed the line from journalism to political operations to the extent that they are actually organizing political events – such as tea party gatherings and the 9/12 march. This is way beyond what MSNBC does. It's sad noone has said it. Good strategy from White House Communications department!

8. sandy newton

When cnn says "keeping them honest", that is a true statement. You give factual reporting. MSNBC is so far to the left and Fox so far to the right, the poor viewers never actually get the news they get the broadcasters point of view with "spin".

9. Victoria

I don't watch Fox. everyone knows that they are biased. I don't believe the majority of the public watch it. Most Americans are not tuned into politics anyway. All I hear or see are the clips that come from other networks.

10. Diana

According to MSNBC – they have more viewers than Fox. BUT- Fox say they have more viewers. Who's tellling the truth??? I'll bet it's not FOX!

11. lizz

is i true that fox gets more audience that cnn?

12. Cessy, Chicago IL

FOX news is top news for tonight? Lets forward this to the Iguana news. That seems to be more intersting.

13. Adam Rahman, Plano, TX

Fox is at best a tabloid TV station, not news station. "Obama's baby mama", "Terrorists fist jab", "racist", "deep seated hatred for white people", all came from Fox.

14. Rose Marie Williamson

Perhaps the President could stay at home, quit worrying about what Fox News does or says, and he might actually have time to address Gen. McCrystals questions about the war.

15. Leonor Shukan

I agree with David, the White House should stay way from engaging or challanging the media. Fox or any other media.
    The White House has too much to do to be "worried" about the media.

16. Sylvia

I don't know why the Democrats don't fire back at the Republicians

The Republicians and Fox news did the same thing with Bill Clinton

Bush started a war and we didn't hear anything from Fox

17. Marty Huyette(Hyatt)

separation of church and state.....separation of media and state...and I'm a republican.. it's a hard job being moderate, but somebody's got to do it!

18. Spencer, PA

I think it is silly to compare Faux News to MSNBC

19. lisal -canada

oh that is going to be a PR nightmare for someone

20. Tasha, North Carolina

I agree CNN and Anderson is the only place I go to for news. It seems to be the most credible and non bias new source.

21. Mike, Syracuse, NY

My point exactly. MSNBC is sickening.

22. Jane (Minnesota)

I think it's ok to call Fox News out for not having balanced reporting. Let's face it – the Prieident isn't going to attract those viewers to his side. I can't tolerate watching it at all anymore. They just should dwell too much on it.

23. jerry kelly

Risky? Sure it is, but it has to be done. I am sick of Fox "News" obvious right-wing bios, and their not-so-subtle racism. Take them on , I say!!

24. tommy from az

fox is not news. it is a one sided opinion. Tell me fox has more viewers than cnn I doubt that. Never the less cnn is news fox is one sided and a huge reason this country is scared .

25. David Angelo

Although what the White House says about Fox News is true, and everyone knows it, attacking them I fear will ultimately only add fuel to the fire in which Fox News thrives on. That being said, anyone who watches Fox News likely already likely voted against Obama so I don't think it will lose him support substantially.

26. Rolando

I think that it was a mistake to take this position against Fox. It validates their standing undeserving.

I am just happy that a racist, divisive and egotistical person like Glen Beck does not work for CNN. I do not know who ended the relationship, but it was good for CNN

27. Minou, New York City

Wanna bet Fox will have plenty of AC clips on tomorrow?

28. Ryan

Well the times i watch Fox news which is few times a week they are always portray president obama in a negative way..

29. Sharon Hastings

I agree with David G. Ignore them, or tell jokes about their comments. Keep it light. Be above the whole thing. The only time I watch Fox is for the shear entertainment sometimes and to guess what kind of medication Glenn needs to be on.

30. Slavi

It is a good strategy to take on Fox News because of their blatant and immoral misinformation and honestly, lies.

31. Joanne

Finally, someone is taking on Fox. I say, you go, President Obama and staff. Fox lies, distorts and misrepresents. They're a disgrace to the journalistic profession. Fox cannot hold a candle to CNN and MSNBC.

32. Barry

Fox should be exposed for every lie they peddle. Misinformation is not only dangerous it is imoral. Glenn Beck is a national security problem he incites hate and potentially violence.

33. gail

Fox helped to perpetuate the lies of the birthers, Sarah Palin and the"death panels" lies, called the President of the United States a racist and you all want to criticize the White House on whether they should take on the liars rather than point to the liars and call then just that. Please stop calling it "warfare" , it demeans real war. What Anita Dunn said was completely true!

34. Rebecca

It is not only risky, but gives the impression that they only want to talk to the media that agrees with them. This is supposed to be a democracy, so one wonders why Obama is not wanting to talk to "the other side"? Is there really "transparency" in what he is doing if he will only talk with his supporters?

35. Martin Bama

Obama is scared of Fox News the only New that ask real questions. We expect these ppl to fight terrorist, Give me a break

36. Mark

Was it just said that Fox news has more viewers than CNN and MSNBC combined?? I thought it was CNN who had more viewers than MSNBC and Fox combined

37. Mike G

i haven't heard any anchor or pundit today on this issue ask someone :

name or show one incident when FOX has said something positive about the President in the last 9 months without a negative twist to it.

38. elena bianchetti

Fox has more viewers than CNN and MSNBC combined?? Lol yeah right!

39. Chuck

The Whilte House would do better to state the full and unbiased story – yes, FOX is in essence 24/7 air time for the Republicans just as MSNBC is 24/7 air time for the Democrats. CNN is all I watch anymore as it is the only news station that actually covers rather than spins the news for the viewer.

40. jeffrey

I do not feel that the White House take on FOX its clearly irrevelant and shows that FOX is pressing the right buttons

41. Jane - Vt

@Mike, I've watched Fox, but I just can't take them anymore. They don't really report things factually. I know they don't because I watch PBS, Cspan, cnn, msnbc, and read a lot to get my news.

42. Emily

It's important to get the "other side"....how else will you know what the other person is thinking if you don't listen to what they have to say?!

It's separating the entertainment from the news; fact from fiction!

There are always 2 sides!!!

43. Barbara

What is the White House thinking? Thank God for Free of the Press. I can't wait to see how this plays out!

44. Matt

The White House's context is understandable – but the approach is wrong, and inadvertently leads to the conclusion that Fox is right (no pun intended).

45. Spencer, PA

I hate Faux News but I think it should be beneath the White House to respond to their lunacy in this way.

46. Jazmynn Post

Hes the President – he can do what he likes. These people preach hatred. Didn't Bush take on the Dixie Checks? Its too bad you guys cant just focus on the betterment of your people, who are so obviously forgotten with all the bickering. Shame on you.

47. Ian

Fox does not engage in conversation, it engages in interruption matches that the host always wins. If they start to lose the argument, they cut to commercial or to a conservative "guest" who is allowed to speak without interruption. Why should the President lower himself to participate in this kind of biased theater?

48. Karen Gonyea, MN

No wonder I never watch FNC

October 12, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  49. Karen, Charlotte

Your guest is kidding herself if she thinks that President Obama will get any votes from fox viewers. She's either kidding herself or out and out not telling the truth. These are after all the tea party, birthers, deathers and down right haters of President Obama.

To those that say fox is excersing their first amendment right, I say that the White House is excersing their right not to speak to fools.

October 12, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  50. Ed

President Obama made a good move boycotting Fox. They are not objective and do not really cover the news. They are hateful and negative and President Obama would be better served to ignore them. Racist would be the best word to describe them.

October 12, 2009 at 10:09 pm |