October 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/09/09

The GOP blasts Pres. Obama's Nobel Peace Prize win. We've got the raw politics. Plus, gun dealers caught on tape breaking the law. See how they could be putting guns in the hands of criminals. It's a "Keeping them Honest" investigation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. colleen from canada

i find it unbelievable that so many Americans are against your President receiving the Nobel prize. our country and countries around the world would be so proud if our leader received this honor. Even more astounding is the news coverage showing clips of rush and beck saying outrageous comments about their president receiving this award. i would be embarassed to have other countries see how ungracious many americans are about their leader getting this honor. As a Canadian, i would like to congratulate your President and all Americans. Your President has contributed enormously to an increased respect for Americans which has been sorely lacking over the past eight years.

October 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse, NY

So what happens when it rains?

October 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  3. Chanel

I had H1N1, it was the most miserable time of my life! I have NEVER been so sick! I was sick for 7 days, my fever was up to 104.7 for two days, and it didn't go below 102 until the 6th day. The ER gave me IVs and a bunch of other stuff that didn't really help. I have 3 children ages 8, 2, and 1. I will absolutely get them vaccinated. I'm a 26 year old healthy woman and thought I was going to die, there is no way that I would not do everything in my power to prevent my children from going through that.

October 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Emily

"Dark Side of 'Sin City"' ...what an interesting story this is!
    reminds me of a scene in my favorite movie. (The Third Man).

This is wild!

October 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

So if there's a flash flood I guess these people that live under the Strip will probably die?

October 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  6. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

These people who live underground should advertise and sell tickets to this new attraction. This is truly astonishing.

October 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Martina Ilstad Germany

@Emily
    My problem is,its 4o clock in the morning here in Germany.In the last weeks i have to sleep because i had buzzy works.But i try to blog more,Thank you for missing,I think i am arrived in the big blogging family,But sorry for my writing english mistakes,In this time,i can not even write German right.

October 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  8. Bonnie

The people should have respect for the Office of thePresidency. It is a downright disgrace how the people have reacted to news of President
    Obama getting the laureate.Do I detect a margin of jealousy?
    Shame on you Republican chairman,you dont deserve to represent the party or to be sitting in that chair ,your verbage is offensive

October 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  9. allison stephens

Get the vaccine – You may not be worried about how you, yourself will handle the flu, but if you get it and spread it you may be contaminating someone more vulnerable.

October 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Martina Ilstad Germany,
    You're welcome, Martina...... I hope you have a great weekend, too! HUGS! 😀

October 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Antonia-Bay Area

@Lori- I believe once you get the H1N1 once you can not get it twice, kinda like chicken pox.

October 9, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  12. Vince from Tacoma, WA

H1N1 flu vaccine safe according to government?

Silly question...

When has the government ever been honest???

October 9, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  13. Renee

Does anyone know what drug company produces the H1N1 vaccine? Does anyone know where the vaccine is produced?

October 9, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  14. Emily

@ Gady Mayen,"I don’t like getting poked into by sharp things"

That is Great!! 😛

Thanks for the laughs tonight! 🙂

October 9, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  15. Henry K. Mitchell, Stone Mountain, GA

Anderson,

I surmise Americans, genarally, should be poping the champaigne corks for the awarding of the Nobel Peace prize to our first black president. It is a manifestation of the word's vote of confidence in today's United States of America. Set politics aside and let's celebrate how far we have come.

October 9, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  16. Robin in Tampa, FL

@Renee – that's pretty scary I work in Sarasota

October 9, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  17. niwat, chicago

President Obama's political stance on foreign policy has garnered his reputation high enough to deserve the peace prize nomination. I do think Mr Obama has won the award too precociously since he is on the opening chapter to make peace with middle east.

Have a restful weekend everyone

October 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  18. David, Indiana

@Isabel Also wanted to say yr pt about where there is good sense there is an increased chance for peace, and that the Nobel Peace Prize is an encouragement to the President to pursue the path of peace are two very important pts.

Close the gun show loophole and then the retailers are the shows won't be caught between their desire for profits and the unscrupulous people who would not be able to pass a background check.

October 9, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Barb

Yes, they should close the loophole for gunshows. Background checks should be required with common sense exceptions. If a buyer has a concealed handgun license or other evidence that shows
    the buyer has passed a check then that person should be able to purchase without having to go thru another check phase.

October 9, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  20. Lori

Can we get H1N1 twice?

October 9, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

If you get it once, are you immune from getting it again?

October 9, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Danette Hurt

what are the ages of these kids mostly

October 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Wanda

I agree with Jay and all other bloggers who are happyand proud about Pres. Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize. He is an inspiration to all who want "peace" in the world.

October 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Danielle

It is truly astonishing to see how many private gun sellers there are all over the country who are willing to sell guns to criminals. These sellers are essentially criminals themselves if they knowingly sell a gun to someone they don’t believe can pass a background check. Innocent people are dying because of gun trafficking and we need to put an end to the gunshow loophole. President Obama needs to step up on this one.

October 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  25. niwat, chicago

HI AC, EH and entire 360 teamcasts.

President Obama's political stance on foreign policy has garnered his reputation high enough to deserve the peace prize nomination. I do think Mr Obama has won the award too precociously since he is on the opening chapter to make peace with middle eastern.

Have a restful weekend everyone

October 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  26. Martina Ilstad Germany

This virus is more dangeros to kids a joung people,

October 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Michelle

Are the kids also making their families sick ?

October 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  28. Emily

@ Martina Ilstad Germany, It's been a long time since we've seen you! It's good to see you again! I'm glad to see you back again too! 🙂

October 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Do you think schools will temporarily shut down again to stop the spread?

October 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  30. girish desai

GOP and Russ Limbo will cry/shout/dance what ever is Obama related. There are few matured republicans like Senator macain. Obama hinself said "He does not deserve it." He is right but othersw should excersize restraint. Fareed Zakaria's assessment was close to correct. Russ's comments should not be considered seriously since he will do anything to degrade a Black president.

October 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  31. matt kuehl

Hey anderson my name is matt kuehl and I think everyone has the right to bear arms our 2nd addmendment the only exeptions should be felons and also they should make a requirment to take a 2 week long gun class as I haad to in the marines

October 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Peggy Russ

Hello Anderson Cooper,

I am very happy about how the other side of the world feel about President Obama. It might be a little soon for what we see in America but if internationally they feel differently I am very gracious . I am very proud of my President Obama and I am in his corner all the way.

Peggy Russ

October 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Renee

We had a baby die this week from swine flu in Sarasota, FL.

October 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Robin Hughes

Guns, guns, guns....it's like the elephant sitting in the middle of the living room. Isn't it time to look at changing the constitution.

October 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Chaney,Sarepta, La

Hello anderson, and everyone....... President Obama received a very high and humbling honor ..... can we please just be proud and happy,as Americans.... or is that too much to ask? He did not campaign , or seek this award and I dont think the Norwegian commitee need our help in deciding who is deserving of this honor.

October 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Martina Ilstad Germany

@Megan this friday i am not the only one blogging from europa,there is a blogger in norway.Thank you for support me

October 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Emily

I can't believe that anytime a gun transaction occurs, there is not a background check. Since 9/11, things seem to have gotten tighter in many areas.

October 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  38. lisal -canada

that IS eye-opening.
    and some people will always exploit a loophole.

October 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Renee

Guns are commodities bought and sold just like cash. Anderson, why didn't you ask about amonition? The cost of amo has increased by 100% at gun shows around FL. Should we regulate amo too?

October 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Scott

We want our freedom. We don't want the government knowing what we own, guns or otherwise. The time will come when we will regret that the government knows...

October 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Susan Rohrer

I cried tears of joy hearing about Obama winning the Nobel Prize; I am so happy that the world recognizes the hopeful generous
    attitude of our new leader who is ready and able to reach out even to those who disagree with him. It has been a long time since we have had this display of optimism. I think we should be appreciative and look ahead with great hope.

October 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Omar D Rivas

Hi Anderson I'm a Business student close to graduate State University New York at Old Westbury College. I would like to express that here in America we have the bad habit of debating issues that have no relevance and as result we tend to forget the critical issues that really deserve our attention. My opinion is that we need to celebrate the accomplisment that President Obama is bringing to our nation and let's work together to continue to change the arrogant selfish image that we have arround the world, to a better one. This is America's momentum to go back where we should be as a leder worldwide.

October 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  43. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Gun shows should just require all buyers to pre-register and get a background check. That way anyone registered is good to buy.

October 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Anthony (Chicago)

Why is it that we we have more deaths by guns hundreds of thousands and other countries are in the hundreds ( for a country) ? Do we really think the founders had this in mind when they referenced the right to bare arms... ?

October 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Cessy, Chicago IL

good segment on gunshow sting!

October 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Emily

I'm surprised to see that there are so many illegal sales still going on.

I wonder if it has always been this way or is it due to the recession? ...not that that makes it good!

October 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Jean

I agree with Fareed Zacharia (and the bloggers from other countries seem to confirm his view.) As for "complicating the domestic front," the Republicans will trash anything, they don't need the Nobel prize as an excuse.

October 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Lori

How do you know that the gun seller didn't interpret the purchaser's statement to his ability to pass a background check as sarcasm? Why would anyone disclose that during a gun purchase?

October 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Mary G.Overton

The fact that he got to the White House in spite of everything, and that he got there with the program he had, make him good enough for the prize..Also, all the people who followed him, put him in the White House, deserve that prize. In addition, all the boycot, all the sabotage, all the insults, that uncivil behavior of a minority against the president, makes of Obama some type of martyr. The world contemplate all that partisan uncivil behavior with horror Those are the followers of the past administration. Think! For having the guts to try...HE DESERVES IT

October 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

They take guns off the street in order to put guns back on another street with a profit in their pockets.

October 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |