October 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/09/09

The GOP blasts Pres. Obama's Nobel Peace Prize win. We've got the raw politics. Plus, gun dealers caught on tape breaking the law. See how they could be putting guns in the hands of criminals. It's a "Keeping them Honest" investigation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. lisal -canada

TGIF.
    Good news for Obama – a bit of a shock.

October 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes bloggers...... Our president already to charity to the children for million.

October 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Renee

Let me re-phrase the question so no one thinks bad of me. Can a person win after his or her death? I was thinking Reagan and his credit for ending the Cold War. I don't agree with Obama but I don't want to express or imply I ever want something bad to happen to him. Just for clarification.

October 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Robin in Tampa, FL

I was surprised but happy that Obama got the award, it says a lot about how the nation's image has changed in the world.

October 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  5. karla

so he is not Mandela, he knows it and recognizes it publicly. However, he has made some progress opening up international dialogue. It is like he said "a call to action". A call to action to all of us in the world to cooperate towards world peace. Stop hating and start doing!

October 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  6. jess

it's time for change and the world needs to except it he deserves it he just hasn't been able to show people that yet because he hasn't been in office that long i think if the world gives him a chance he will do great things

October 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Stacy

@Renee: He's giving it to charity. I don't think he's decided which one(s) yet.

October 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Lori from IL

I agree with Paul Bagalia.

October 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Cathy Patterns

Good evening everyone!

Congrats to President Obama and to the United States of America!!!

A recent poll has demonstrated that the US of A is back on top in the world thanks to President Obama!!!

He does all Americans proud!!!

I haven't been surprised by the 'Obama Derangement Syndrome' folks though, after all, if the President had a BLT for lunch they'd condemn that as well!

Who needs the gloom and doom folks? They're sad people for sure!

October 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Janine from PA.

Good evening AC360
    I find it a bit surprising about the peace prize, but I congratulate our president. I don't think the committee takes their reasons lightly.
    Excuse me but Bush started a war based on lies. He never ended this war just let it go on and on. Was it Reagan who armed saddam with WMDs? They were all for saddam in those days against iran. Doesn't sound like any kind of quest for peace.

October 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Anthony

I think the president should have gotten the Nobel peace prize because he is working hard to bring peace to the world

October 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Good evening bloggers, joining late. It interesting how people are blaming the President for something he had nothing to do with getting. He was gracious in accepting the Nobel Peace Prize and he's donating the award money. Let's just take the boost in the world scene's opinion of us and move on.

October 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Peggy J Copeland

Please leave this man alone, is there anything he can do right. God is his promoter not man.

October 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Peter Marbon

Because of Obama, Americans in Europe and abroad don't have to disguise themselves as Canadians wearing the red maple leaf but to walk in the streets proud wearing the American star and stripes.

October 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Fyne

Is it an eloquent testament of our sickening arrogance to suggest we have better read of the guidelines for the selection of Noble Prize winner than the Peace Price committee. After extensive and thorough review of some 205 nominees from around the world the committee made its choice. President Barack Obama is the worthy winner of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize. Period. End of discussion.

October 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Cynthia, NC

Good evening and Happy Friday. I was surprised when I heard President Obama had won the Nobel Peace Prize. I thought the award was given on one’s accomplishments in peace not so much what one wants/hopes to achieve.

October 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Kristina

Columbus, OH
    I feel that president Obama deserves a high award through all the negative actions people have thrown at him he remains focused on the goals he pain to achieve.We let 1 man destroy a country for 8 years why shall president Obama have a minium dead line of several months to make our world better. have faith he's here to stay so why not support him.

October 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Lori from IL

@Renee

There was a statement earlier today that President Obama would be awarding the money to charity – but he hasn't decided which one yet.

October 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  19. Stacy

I agree with Fareed. Though I have some reservations with Obama being chosen, this is an award for the whole country. We should all be honored and make sure Obama lives up to it.

October 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  20. Greg, Austin Tx

Perhaps those angry at Obama for winning should take it up with the folks who handed out the award. Apparently Obama did not ask for this or seek it out, yet he takes the heat for getting chosen. Sometimes you can't win in this world, even if you simply wake up in the morning and go "great day".

October 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  21. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! I was happy that Mr.Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize.Perhaps it is too soon,as many are saying.I wonder if it is more of a 'visionary' win?His efforts to bring all nations to together for the future of our cohabitation on this planet have far surpassed our last administrations efforts to do so.I believe he wants peace for the entire world.Others must feel that way too,for him to have won.I believe he has the ability to bring out the best in people,if they have the ability to see a better future.

October 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  22. Randy Woodstock, IL

You know many people are on the President because he was expected to do so much in the just 9 months hes been President. If 9 months is enough time to get things done, then maybe its enough time to change the world view and maybe earn the award. Just a thought.

October 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  23. Jane - Vt

We sure do have way too many rude and hateful people in this country. It is really sad. Maybe it is premature, The President was surprised to get it. But, my goodness this is just beginning to look like petty sniping.

24. Amanda

It has been a long time since the United States has had a good global standing in the world. Having our President recieve the Noble Peace Prize is in no way a bad or negative thing. As far as expectations go he's our first African American President, close to being the youngest president his expectations are already high, Noble Peace Prize or not. He does deserves this honor.

25. Rene, Texas

Rush said he side with the Talabon. What kind of American is rush to side with Talabon on his nobel prize. Republicans all they have is hate in there heart. Obama just wants to do whats right..

26. Bob Heacox

To those who say Barrack Obama has done nothing to deserve the Nobel Peace award let me qoute Johann Goethe. "Watever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Mr Obama has done just that. Congratulations Mr. President.

Bob

27. Linda C in Cal

The gasp of disbelieve from the people sitting in the room when they announced BO was the winner of the NPP…PRICELESS! That alone should tell you folks something.

28. Phil from IN

Hi Anderson,

The far right has shown it's pathetic penchant for criticizing anything Obama does. This award is well deserved. Obama has completely changed the complexion of America on the world stage. No more of the cowboy diplomacy of the last eight years.

29. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

What's all the hullabaloo about? Last week people were saying he's been in office for so long and he hasn't done enough. Now they are saying he hasn't been in office long enough he doesn't deserve this award. He can't win for losing and he can't win when he actually wins. I don't understand why so many people are upset about this.

Obama is extending the olive branch to other nations which hasn't been done during the past 8 years.

30. Jay

President Obama deserves the Nobel peace prize. Who else in the last year has inspired people across the world and brought them hope. He has helped calm the world business markets and brought hope to the international community.

31. Char, Killeen, TX

Good Evening Anderson,

It is pathetic how these idiots are acting, I guess now you know who is really Anti-American. For every bad thing they say about President Obama, something good always comes his way. Congratulations to a Great President.

32. Sharon L. Crothers

It is an honor for President Obama and our country to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. President Obama in a few short months has promoted peace, dialogue, and helped to improve our status in other countries of the world which were trashed by President Bush! We are
    now in a far better place to work towards World Peace. Not an easy task!

33. Martina Ilstad Germany

America,what is the problem talking did or did Obama not deserve the prize.Realize it and be proud.

34. Bridget

I think President Obama is on the the right track. The Nobel Comm seen and so should we. The man is trying i think he deserves it

35. David, Indiana

Whew good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Well it was a surprise to find out that President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize this morning, but it was a welcome one.

I think maybe it could complicate things domestically, and maybe initially play into deep polarization, politically, but I feel there is more substantive accomplishment toward peace than it at first glance seems. Obama has in just a few months wound down tension and inflammed feelings enough to get foreign policy world wide on a much more secure footing.

36. Obiamaka

Obama has the potential necessary for achieving a Nobel prize but I don't think he deserves it just yet. He's made promises and shows potential but it hasn't been realized yet

37. Anthony

It pains me to see how ignorant our country looks to the rest of the world, the prize is awarded to those who dare to challenge our darker angels ( racisim, sexism, war, political injustice) etc
    The fact that the president an African American dared to run for the most powerful office in world and quess what he won, which has and will continue to change our paradigm's of race, not to mention the world view of the U.S ( People the President of the United States Won the Noble Peace Prize !!!!!)

38. TIM

forget this story... nobody yesterday even knew the noble prize was going to give out today.... what about the moon footage... is there life???? did they crash the bomb into the moon and found life and said' " hey let's give obama the peace prize to distract the masses until we can fiqure this out.. they found life on the moon!!

39. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It is change from the last eight years of suffering in silent.

40. Olivia Mann

I believe that Ghandi was not given the Nobel Peace Prize because he had died and no one was awarded it that year – in honour of Ghandi.

41. Isabel Siaba

That Nobel Peace Prize is an incentive for the President to continue on the path of peace, we want!

42. Tish

I am still dumbfounded as to how President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize. I cannot think of one thing that he did to merit it. He should be ashamed to keep it knowing he did nothing to earn it. The Nobel Peace Prize is for people who do outstanding things for world peace and so on, NOT for FUTURE "outstanding" things done. I support the President, but I think this is ridiculous.

43. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Emily...You can't turn down the Nobel Peace Prize without insulting those who bestow it. That would be a bad reflection on all of us.

44. Lori from IL

Guess what - the Committee in Oslo decides who gets the prize. Sorry to tell you, but we don't get to vote on this one. Why can't we just be happy for him and what this could mean for our country on the world stage?

45. Kathy

I am was a Republican but am proud of all that Pres. Obama has brought to the White House, the US and to the World: Hope, strength, assurance that we haven't seen in a long time. I don't know what will happen (will all the problems in the US and the world) but even as a Republican I stand behind our President and will support his efforts. Who's to say that Republicans or Democrats are "better" - come on and get together - at least he's trying which is more than I can say for Rush and Glenn!!

46. Randy Woodstock, IL

I think the point people aren't really talking about as much as they should is this. Whether or not you feel the President deserves it or not, the way people are attacking him, speaking about an American President shows what some really care about. Its better to attack the man, because they can't attack his ideas with substance. A shame!

47. Linda Inzucchi

Obama's Nobel Peace Prize is the equivalent of a "participation trophy" awarded to kids for just being there. No further evidence is required to prove how besotted the world is with our unaccomplished, naive, manipulable, albeit eloquent, president.

48. john

America is so good at building up their own and destroying them, that is a known fact around the world. So instead of congratulating the President on such a honor that has been bestowed on him the have made a big political media frenzy out of it. America shame on you.

49. Mamta

As an American citizen, I am very proud that Barack Obama has won this coveted prize. Relatively speaking, I can't think of other living people in our world who deserve the Prize and have not received it. However, every time the Peace Prize is awarded, it reminds me it was never given to Mahatma Gandhi; a travesty and insult to Gandhi, his (surviving family), and the entire world. By comparison, President Obama is no Gandhi...at least not yet. And in full disclosure, please know that I am of Indian descent, which undoubtedly makes the insult of Gandhi that much stronger.

50. Dulcie - Denver

I'm really very proud of our President right now. But I'm worried about what the conservatives will do now. I've been away from the media all day and what I'm hearing really disappoints and saddens me. What's become of our country? Are we really all that embittered?

October 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |