October 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/08/09

Tonight, new signs that U.S. Congressman Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., could be headed for trouble. He’s accused of playing fast and loose with his own taxes. We’ll also take a closer look at why many gay Americans are disappointed in President Obama. Has he broken his promises on same-sex marriage, “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and more? We’ve also been digging on a story that’s put a spotlight on an obscure subgenre of rap music called “Horrorcore.” It’s violent and steeped in grotesque imagery. But did it lead a young California man to murder four people?

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Eric Cotto

My message to democrats is compromise is good, but sometimes you have to draw a line in the sand and make a stand for your beliefs

October 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  2. Jane - Vt

I've lost all respect for any republican. They have been against everything so far. Now they are going to vote against the Defense bill because of an added hate crimes amendment.

October 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"If Rangel had been a normal person he’d be in jail."

@Mike, Syracuse, NY, You are so right about that!

October 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  4. Shawn Hendricks - Fairplay, MD

Too bad American taxpayers are not well positioned for the next election.

October 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Antonia-Oakland,California

@Gail- I agree! if democrats want to support from their fellow American citizens, then they need to live up to their promises they made during their campagins. However, dont you think people are expecting so much from Barack?

October 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  6. Maggie Lubash

I am listening to the pundits regarding polling numbers. Wishful thinking on the republican side. Americans want a president and congress that work to support the citizenry, republicans are not doing that. There is no trouble ahead for dems.

October 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  7. ericacnn

hi, bloggers

October 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  8. joe m

it appears that democrats are as poor students of history as their republican counterparts. americans gave the democrats the chance to lead, but they've not done that. worse yet, as rangle is proving, democrats are no better than republicans when it comes to abusing their position. i wouldn't be surprised if voters choose to vote back republicans into power in the senate and house, which seemed to have worked to the advantage of the country in the '80s. it might even come to pass that more independent candidates will win seats in both houses.

October 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  9. starr, formerly known as vincent

I don't blaem Pres. Obama for not being able to bring bi-partisan behavior. The Rep's and even part of his own party will not cooperate re: this matter.

I blame congress, who will Not give up "business as usual" on Both sides.

Rep's have found their voice through misleading the public on the health care insurance refrom issue and anything else the Pres Obama has tried to do. They take Any thing that Pres. Obama does and twist and spin it until it is unrecognizale. Too much spin and too many lies.

October 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  10. Bill from NJ

In once sense, Presidents – even with their party in the majority in Congress – usually loose in the by-elections. However, Congressional Democrats have certainly not done well for the party. Dems seem to be a good opposition party but not a good party in the majority.

October 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  11. Rick

If Rangel can get away with opps or he didn't know. He doesn't deserve the job....

October 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  12. James

You have a president and white house staff that has no clue on how to navigate inside the beltway

October 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  13. paul tolson

Anderson, Why is it that term limits for senate and congress isn't a top priority!

October 8, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Shawn Hendricks - Fairplay, MD

A stark difference between now and a year ago is that the President is allegedly aligned with the Legislature. If Legislature were a run-away engine pulling the train of the American budget, suddenly we have a brakeman as President encouraging greater speed. Meanwhile, we taxpayer passengers see the hairpin turn over cliffs of debt.

October 8, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  15. James

The dems are struggling because they campaigned on change but they have only produced the same old same old

October 8, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I remember after the election James Carville said Republicans were finished for 40 years. He's only 39 years off.

October 8, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Eric Cotto

Senate Dems are losing my support because they lack a backbone and they're not supporting the President

October 8, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Stan, Canada

We reward and stare in awe at the famous and infamous, politicians these days certainly work hard on becoming infamous.

October 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Jane - Vt

When these politicians don't pay taxes, or make mistakes on their taxes do they have the pay the interest and penalities like average americans? Since when is "I forgot" an acceptable excuse?

October 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  20. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Randi Kaye, Isabel, everyone. How egregious are the ethics violations being considered? Yes, I can see as Dana Bash says that dems in the halls of congress might be feeling tremors, but if the bipartisan ethics committee is taking so long to come out with a report, maybe the preponderance of evidence is the Rep. Rangel is guilty mainly of sloppy accounting.

The pt about not speaking spanish is humorous, but how closely did Charlie Rangel manage the house in the Dominican Republic? Did his wife manage the finances for that house?

October 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Emily

It seems that now that the Democrats are in control of both the House and Congress, they think that they can get alway with whatever they want!
    I hope that Obama will maintain a middle of the road thought and kick them out. He's yet to do anything!

October 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  22. Brad Burzynski

Greetings to all!
    Rangel should keep his taxes in order if not he should resign

October 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Janine from PA.

Good evening AC360:
    Is the ethics committee in congress the same as the fox guarding the hen house?

October 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Dulcie - Denver

How odd, that people seem to be blaming the Democrats for the partisan politics. I certainly don't see it that way. I think the Republicans have behaved disgracefully. Comments like they'll do anything to see our President fail don't leave a lot of room for non-partisanship. By all means, disagree on the ideology. I think that's a valid argument, but leave the mud-slinging out of it.

October 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  25. gail

Democrats are losing support because they are not forcefully making the changes that we elected them to make. It's hard when you have people that are more concerned about keeping their seats than doing their jobs. That's the reason Alan Grayson is so popular. If all Democrats just called the Republicans out on their obstruction and "just say no" policy then the Democrats numbers would soar. Alan Grayson's sure have.

October 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  26. James

I blame the voting public. We keep voting in the same people so why are we surprised we keep getting the same results.

October 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  27. Ted

Good evening Anderson & all CNN personnel. I don't understand why people don't see Congress needs a complete overhaul. Dems popularity is decreasing. America will vote in Repubs and the cycle will continue. Question is how do we get "HONEST POLITICIANS" or is that impossible?

October 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Shawn Hendricks - Fairplay, MD

I'm thinking the Democrats are not losing popularity so much as the Republicans have been shown to have been in the right.

October 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  29. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you back.
    Whatever his intent, it doesn't seem as if Rangel should continue to be writing tax laws.

October 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Cessy, Chicago IL

Hello, everyone! Hi Anderson, Erica, David, Randi and all you amazing AC360 fans!

October 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  31. Tabitha

I have never heard of horrorcore music...why would anybody want to make or listen to music like that?

October 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  32. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Of course the public has shifted. The Democrats have a huge majority and the Presidency and have zip to show for it.

October 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  33. starr, formerly known as vincent

I am deeply disappointed in Charlies Wrangle. I really like him, however, i don't beleive the excuses as put forward by the panel.

Wrangle, of all people, should have known better!

This could be a real problem for him and the Dem's party.

October 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  34. Emily

@ Megan Dresslar – Shoreline, WA,
    I agree with you!!!
    One can only Hope that Rangel will infact step down on his own ASAP!

October 8, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  35. Dulcie - Denver

I'm no more tolerant of crooked Democrats than I am of Republicans. Just goes to show that crooked politicians come from both sides.

Rangel's explanation that he just didn't know. He writes tax law! He should know better. Geez, if I were a politician, I'd make sure all my taxes were in order. Please, if he truly didn't know, he should step down for stupidity

October 8, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  36. Mike, Syracuse, NY

If Rangel had been a normal person he'd be in jail.

October 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  37. gail

All of these politicians protect their own. Who will go first? Charles Rangel or John Ensign? What is the obsession with how long the ethics committee is taking? Everyone is due their "day in court" innocent until proven guilty.

October 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  38. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All!

October 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  39. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good evening Anderson, David (Indiana), friends and bloggers....

October 8, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

What would it take to convince these Rangel supporters that he is corrupt? What more do they need?

If Rangel is this incompetent with his own personal finances he has no business in Congress. I think that is quite obvious.

October 8, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  41. Kathy Chicago

Hi AC! I don't think that anyone in Washington pays taxes. It seems to be more of a problem with this administration.

October 8, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  42. Annie

Tax problems by our elected officials MAKES ME SICK. I am an honest working American and would be put away for years with millions in back taxes and interest to boot. I have NO confidence in our leaders. Excuses – I forgot, my acct did it, my agent spoke Spanish – give me a break!!!

October 8, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I think U.S. Congressman Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., willing take step down or resign, He lied to people about tax and more pressure for him. Not good news for me to hear, Ouch! I like to hear what Dana and John to say about him!

October 8, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  44. carolyn j

HI ANDESON, ERICA,

WOW how can you forget?

October 8, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  45. Jane - Vt

Good evening all

October 8, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  46. gail

I want all of the corrupt politicians gone. Rangel, Vittter, Sanford, Ensign , Coburn. Tom Delay was indicted in 2005 and did not resign until 2006. Let the Ethics committee do their job . I think he should go , but I think he should also have due process.

October 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  47. Emily

Good evening Anderson, AC360 Staff, and Bloggers!!!!

Looks like an interesting news night! 🙂

October 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Rangel needs to go, and go now. Pelosi has to stop protecting him.

October 8, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  49. starr, santa fe

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Randi-Kaye & entire Team 30.
    Good evening fellow chatters.

Looks like many topics to cover tonight!

October 8, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Happy Thursday night, Hugs! 😉 😀