October 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/05/09

A new deadly battle in Afghanistan. Should the U.S. change its strategy in the war zone? We're digging deeper. The first H1NI vaccines are given. We have the facts you need to know. Plus, how the suspected stalker of ESPN reporter Erin Andrews tracked her down and allegedly filmed her naked in a hotel room.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

t

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cessy, Chicago IL

Andrews stalker...never had a parking ticket and a good man? yeah, sure, I believe you. NOT! CREEPY!!!

October 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Minou, New York City

"request a room next to (celebrity)"? How can a hotel grant that wish? How incredibly irresponsible!

October 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Victoria Alameda

Had my flu shot. Not in the critical group for h1n1 so I am wavering on getting h1n1

October 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Craig Turks & Caicos Is.

Hey Anderson watch your show A360 keep up the good work

October 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I have to say I'm relieved that the guy actually had to hacksaw the peephole to make this crime happen. I wonder if I'll be paranoid in every hotel I stay at forever.

October 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  6. Lori

Visual intrusion into someone's hotel room is going way too far in photographing celebrities. It is terrible.

October 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  7. starr, formerly known as vincent

I guinely pray that people will Stay Home from work if they are sick.

I know i was brought up with the American Ethic of go to work no matter if you are sick.

As a retired RN i really, really feel that if people are sick, they should Stay Home so as not to contiminat their co-worker, who will them contaminate their families, so on and so on.

October 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  8. Tabitha

Can you get the regular flu shot and the H1N1? Would that be helpful or overkill? I expected more answers in that interview.

October 5, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I heard Letterman joke about his indiscretions. I think it was in bad taste. However, Leno's jokes about it were hilarious!

October 5, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Dr,. Oz is my favorite talk show, I watch him everyday afternoon, he is really smart doctor I have seen! It help me to listen what Dr. Oz saying to me.

October 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  11. sally

I enjoy this program enough to get up at 4:00 to watch it in Europe. The effort to balance information and respect the viewer while giving food for thought is much appreciated.

October 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

I have never missed any kind of flu shot since they first came available.

I have never gotten the flu. Ever....

I will get H1N1 to help keep our kids and pregnant women healthy. They are the highest risks.

I am a senior and am happy to help!

October 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I'm afraid to get the H1N1 vaccine too! I have never had a seasonal flu shot either and I haven't had the flu in over 25 years.

October 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  14. Lisa L

Be proud Anderson, you have achieved a lot through your show, especially this informative health report.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

October 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Yes! I agree with you.

October 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Minou, New York City

Living underneath Las Vegas? Come again? How can anybody live their life like that?

October 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Cessy, Chicago IL

interesting report on las vegas strip.

October 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  18. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I was really hoping for many, many more questions about the H1N1 vaccine.

October 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  19. lucina napper

whats the talk I've heard of the vacine being made manditory? is it possible?

October 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Sorry .... I'm late

Anyone who has had H1N1 may have again?

October 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Emily

What about if you have had it already, are you resistant to getting it again?
    (the H1N1 Flu)

October 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Cessy, Chicago IL

there's 10 nurses in my family and we actually had a discussion whether to get the h1n1 vaccine...ALL of us said NO. We're all getting the regular flu vaccine.

October 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  23. leslie

My son have his 9-month checkup next week... I am very skeptical about the vaccine do you recommend it for babies?

October 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Limbaugh is an entertainer, not a political leader. To say he represents the Republican Party is to say Howard Stern represents the Democrats.

October 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  25. kate venables

Is there a test to see if you are already immune to H1N1?

October 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  26. Minou, New York City

Pharmaceutical companies are cashing in on this untested flu shot. It's all about the money.

October 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hi Dr. Oz! How is Oprah?

October 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  28. LorenaR

@James in Idaho, you said it so well and used the fewest words so effectively. twitter that!

October 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

@Emily&Mike-Bringing in more troops would not solve anything..

October 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

@Dr Oz Does this vaccine for HLN1 have long term effects on your health if you get this vaccine ?

October 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Calvin

I am disgusted with the fact that Republicans would act like this to a president from a different party. They are destroying all attempts, from both sides to bridge the gap and reach across the table.

October 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  32. David, Indiana

@Isabel, yes especially since they have opened up to us and are counting on moving their energies toward rebuilding their country. I do think that at some pt we have to bring the Taliban in to try to talk to them, that could bring about peace sooner.

October 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Wow. That flu.gov web site is really informative.

October 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  34. sally

Kruger doesn't look comfortable. Has he gone over the top with demonizing anything conservative?

October 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

If you work with or are friends with a pregnant woman, should we take additional precautions with them? what else can we do other than just washing hands?

October 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  36. leigh

Dr. Oz – 1. Do you feel that the vaccine has "been rushed to production," and therefore might be "unsafe?" I am a healthcare worker and several of my co-workers are voicing this fear.
    2. Please comment on Guilllain Barre Syndrome. I remember 1976
    and taking care of people with paralysis and on a venilator (they had the "swine flu vaccine." ) Is there a certain age or condition that would
    make a person more susceptible to Guillain B.?
    3. Please comment on the thermosol preservative.

October 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  37. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

Of course Mary Maltin would revere Limabugh she 's republican

October 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  38. Pietro

Why do we need a H1N1 vaccine when you typically do not see this concern with the regular flu?

October 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Lori

Several people in my office have H1N1. I hope I can get the vaccine before I get the flu.

October 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Dulcie - Denver

I agree with Paul Krugman. I've been on the (moderately) conservative side of things and I really don't recall the Dems being so bratty. Sure, stuff is said from time to time, but nothing like we're seeing now. I've never heard any Democrat wish that a President would fail. They may see him as already failing, but that's a different kettle of fish.

The Conservatives have been making me ill with their venom.

October 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Lori from IL

@starr

I agree - we basically did nation building in Iraq, and paid people $$ to be on our side. Had we not taken our "eye of the ball" in Afghanistan, and invaded Iraq, we would have been in much better shape in Afghanistan, been in better "favor" with our NATO allies, and saved a whole lot of money.

October 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Emily

What about getting the Flu vaccine and the H1N1 vaccine?

October 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  43. gail

Let's remember that those 40,000 troops are not just a number , but people. Husbands, wives, sister,brothers, uncles, aunts, cousins and friends. My cousin is dead because President George Bush did not think through our invasion of Iraq. It is easy to just say putting in more troops will solve everything, but what we need to remember is that Iraq and Afghanistan are totally different.

October 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  44. starr, formerly known as vincent

I agree with the gentleman on the Panel.

There is No doubt that conservatives in large numbers want Pres. Obama to fail, no matter what the issue is.

The repulicans clearly either resent that they are out of power right now, or are in complete denial that "other" Americans do not agree with them. Mary M emphasized that we are a centrist /right county.

I couln't disagree more. We are at the very least a centrist country in the majority.

October 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Tabitha

I agree that we need to give Obama a little more time before we judge him.
    I'm really eager to learn more about the H1N1 vaccine. I get sick a lot, and I really don't want to do that this year because it's my first year of college. I've been thinking about getting the vaccine, but I don't know much about it.

October 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

Too much hate Limbaugh just promotes it .

October 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Calvin

All the Republicans are being antagonistic. The American president is our president, the president of the people, and if the Republican is truly a party that represents the American people, they should stop wishing Obama to fail. And Rush Limbaugh, all he does is insult Obama. Does he know no shame? Just because Obama doesn't agree with his views, Rush would be willing to insult a democratic president at all costs.

October 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse, NY

If you believe Obama's policies are destructive to America, then hoping his policies fail is being American. The only thing I've agreed with him on was the need to prosecute the war in Afghanistan. Now he's waffling on that.

October 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Michelle R.

I agree with those who feel Gen McChrystal knows what is best and is simply stating his case. I'm sure if he says he needs more troops then he needs more troops. Still, there is a chain of command for a reason and heaven knows the president has enough boxes to work himself out of!

October 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

People want healhtcare done and fixed .This kind od put downs in skits onSnl and by other political figures are just slowing it down .

October 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |