October 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/05/09

A new deadly battle in Afghanistan. Should the U.S. change its strategy in the war zone? We're digging deeper. The first H1NI vaccines are given. We have the facts you need to know. Plus, how the suspected stalker of ESPN reporter Erin Andrews tracked her down and allegedly filmed her naked in a hotel room.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

t

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. harold curacao

yes i know short, hm you are long we are to be short.
    Tel mr.persident construct steel cone place them in those remote areas by heavy lifting helicopters and let your youg boys hide inside.
    Don t put living humans as ducks out there.I have had commando and sniper trainig years ago.What I see your soldiers are exercising their in afganistan is cowboy style war reiculous. by by

October 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  2. Michelle R.

There is no way he can pull U.S. forces out of Afghanistan now. We should plan on losing more soldiers once more are sent in since apparently (unfortunately) more are needed.

October 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  3. Emily

Megan,
    It's a great panel tonight, thus far. Nic Robertson too! This is a great one here. Anderson is asking great questions too.

October 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  4. Dodie ~ California

@ nicole l

I completely agree with you. It reminds me of the Iraq and Vietnam wars.

October 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  5. Joanna

It is time to get out of the middle east. There are so many elements and we are always trying to peg 1. The more we kill them, the more they want all of us dead. They have more children, yes young children as soldiers then we have troups. Please my heart is so tired of fighting. We are all wearing our men's blood upon our sleeve. Please pass on.

October 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  6. Dave in Canada

Instead of complaining about the lack of allied support it would be nice to hear some recognition of the many Canadian troops who have been killed fighting a war that we were dragged into. The U.S. is not going this alone but you would never know it by the American media.

October 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  7. Jeff

I am a service connected disabled veteran and served my country proudly for 8 years. Contrary to public opinion we do need a substantial troop increase in Afghanistan. Without an increase in troop increase it will be a losing battle.

October 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Lori

Hi Anderson. Happy Monday.

October 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  9. Cessy, Chicago IL

I look forward to the H1n1 news/update...I feel like there's not a lot of research out there abou tthis vacccine. Not sure about getting this. ido however will get the regular flu vaccine as i do every year

October 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  10. Don Stewart

withdrawn sends a meesage to terrorist around the world we don't have the stomick to fight, this will bring the terrorist to our home land again and it could be worse this time
    stand and fight America!!!

October 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

They have to change the strategy in fighting the enemies. The enemy knows their strategies. What good is more troops if the strategy is no good.

12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    We can our troops to deploy to Afghanistan right away to safe place to beat terrorism. Yes, I agree with you.

13. Minou, New York City

Afghanistan cannot be won militarily. So many influential ppl say this, and still we are discussing troop levels. Karzai needs to change his ways and bring real change. This change can be fully supported by all the troops (inc. ISAF), but fighting against guerillas is a lost cause...always has, always will be.

14. lourdes alonso

Is very sad to see our goverment playing politics with our soldiers in afghanistan, if they are not going to supply our soldiers with everything they need they should come home as soon as possible.

15. Victoria Alameda

I think we are confused as to what to do in Afghanistan. Because we are not committed to nation building or all out war we are sending mixed messages.
    V

October 5, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  16. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! I know that I wouldn't want to be in the Presidents position and have to make a choice about what to do.....

17. starr, formerly known as vincent

The Bush administration started this war and then ignored it, under funded it for seven years!

I support Pres. Obama's committment to Afganistan. Let us devise a strategy that will work, not just a military strategy. Let Pres. Obama hear from Everyone he should hear from, before he makes an informed decision.

Do i believe there should be more troops, yes. And, i beleive that we need additional NATO troops as we All risk the same thing if Afganistan falls into Taliban hands again.

One thing i don't understand abou the outpost that was attacked this weekend is don't you look for the High Ground as being more defensible? Being in a valley leaves you very vulnerable to attacks from the high ground.

18. Mary

Why arent we using more air power instead of having our troops in such danger

19. Emily

@Mike, Syracuse, NY
    what would you do if you were the President right now in Afghanistan?

20. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Sec of Defense Gates seems to be giving tacit approval to putting more troops into Afghanistan, that's the impression he's giving. I think we don't want to get caught losing the gains already accomplished, and a surge of some extent would ensure the safety of our troops and people in Afghanistan better.

21. michael

we have to understand, we are fight a war that can't be won, no matter if u send 80 thousand troop

22. gail

I hope the President takes as much time as he needs to make a decision and get it right versus a President that went to war with no thought whatsoever. I do not agree with McChrystal that we need more troops . I do believe that we need to move the troops we have now and deploy a new strategy and define the mission clearly. We went to Afghanistan to get the Taliban out. Gen David Petraeus said in an interview on CNN that Al Qaeda was in Pakistan. why are we still in Afghanistan. We did not go to run out the Taliban or to remake Afghanistan in our image. I pray fro wisdom for our President in this as well as all matters.

23. nicole l

Anderson...i must say and sorry to say this but the war in Afghanistan will never end. the afghanistan people will continue to kill there own people and others that are in the country..it's a war that will never stop.

24. Dodie ~ California

Wanting the president of our County, Pres Obama to fail will ultimately affect this country negatively is Not very wise!!!

It is like shooting yourself in the foot!

October 5, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Bob Adler

How many Taliban fighters are there? I have read <15,000. Yet we need 70,000 troops plus support? Why is this?

October 5, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Cessy, Chicago IL

good evening! Hi Anderson! -All these not so good news overseas. we need to support our troops and include their families in our prayers.

October 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Emily

H1N1 side effects to that vaccine...anyone heard about them?

October 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! I hope you had a good weekend.
    Any news of war casualties is tragic. I think strategy should be re-evaluated continually, though.

October 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    I agree with you, Peter and Christiane really doing great job!

October 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Anderson,yes send more troops.

October 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Cessy, Chicago IL

good evening! Hi Anderson! -All these not so good news overseas...it makes me nervous. we need to support our troops and include their families in our prayers.

October 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

It is not possible to WIN wars these days.

There is NO LIMIT to the number of troops the Taliban can come up with now and in the future.

They are a limitless entity. An endless supply.

Who is so naive to think we can WIN????

October 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Casey Jones, I agree. Either fight to win, or go home with our tail between our legs.

October 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Minou, New York City

@ Peter Bergen: THANK YOU for finally mentioning the NATO forces who also give their lives and leave their families behind.

October 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good evening everyone – Anderson, David ((Indiana), friends and bloggers!

Very nice to have Christiane Amanpour in the panel! 🙂

October 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

What the SecDef is saying isn't very reassuring. I can't understand how the US military which I'm sure outnumber the Taliban forces can't win this war. The President needs to pull out the US Forces completely or send the necessary reinforcements to win this. We can't continue to lose soldiers like this.

October 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Jane - Vt

I'm so sorry for the loss of those soldiers. Prayers with the families. All this war just breaks my heart. I hate it.

October 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Emily

Sorry to hear about the losses in Afghanistan...I hope they make some decisions soon.
    Great to see Christiane & Peter tonight. GREAT info from them both!!!

October 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Things are getting worse by the day, and still the President waffles.

October 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Very sad our troops killed in Afghanistan.. it is so shocking news I have seen! My heart goes to them....... So sadden.

October 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Nicole, Toronto, ON

Good evening, Anderson!
    I am glad Michael David Barrett has been arrested
    I really feel for everything that has happened to Erin Andrews

btw i really like your shirt, Anderson! 🙂

October 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Kathy Chicago

Hi guys. I hope the Pres doesn't take too long to decide what to do with this war.

October 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Let's face the music. We either need to declare war and assert a full committment in Afghanistan or pull-out. None of this half-in, half-out, "the President is sending in troops" stuff.

October 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  44. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hi Anderson, Erica and entire Team 360, hope you all had a great weekend.

Hi fellow chatters, hope your weekend was great too,

October 5, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Emily

Happy Monday Anderson, Erica & Bloggers.

October 5, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. An

Hi Anderson ! Wishing a safely equal time of work today to you so much ! The devils are too strongest dirtiest to a person life so it is really over hurtness for a person to receive so much ! I am so hurtly scared so much to a human life ! I am so scaredly hurt so much !

An !

October 5, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!! 🙂
    Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!! Happy Monday! HUGS!

October 5, 2009 at 10:01 pm |