October 1st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/01/09

Tonight, we're keeping them honest in Chicago. A student is beaten to death. It's caught on tape. But cops say no one is coming forward with tips. Why is this happening? Plus, a confession from a former prosecutor with ties to the Roman Polanski case.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Greg Ontario Canada

Hey everyone,

I agree with Steve Perry. I have read two of his books and I agree with his premise that if this had been white cops it would be a different story. We have continued to excuse the behavior of our own kids. For some reason we are okay with aiming low. Keep up the good work Steve and Common. Anderson, help us spread this message so that our young black kids see that their are alternatives.

October 1, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Patrick

I am a officer in the City of Chicago and I have to say that the main reason the Kids act this way is because truthfully the majority of these Kids parents are not involved in their lives. Many of these parents are addicts and or in prison and just simply not involved. All these kids get no love or attenting at home and they act this way in order to get attention.

October 1, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  3. John Arnold

Why are witnesses to the murder in Chicago not talking? Gosh, can anybody imagine that it might have something to do with cultural implications of living in a society where a t.v. celebrity's sexual liaisons with his employees is the lead story on a respectable, major news show?

October 1, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Emily

I can't believe that kids would listen to the likes of Tyson B. over their families, etc. I was young once, and I was not That influenced my music, and I'm a big music fan.
    Where is their families? ...what are they doing in their spare time?
    are they not involved in sports, music, etc?

October 1, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Chris

I'm sure a lot of young individuals would love to come foward and share what they know to help law enforcement officials. At the end of the day that young invidual would have to worry about someone trying to cause harm against them just for trying to help someone's family after a tough lost. So many people can come foward and tell what they know but this behavior will still continue day after day. It's a no win situation for these young people.

October 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  6. Karen andrew

I am watching from Antigua, how do we reach out to these kids and let them know that its ok to talk to police when they witness a crime...

October 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  7. Khristina

One reason many young black men and women don't "snitch" is not necessarily for street credit but fear for their life. If people want these incidents to cease we need to educate and protect the people.

October 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  8. heather

this is ridiculous way beyond belief. whats going on is that these children/teens are being taught not to "snitch". they are afraid to snitch because they think that they will be targeted for snitching.

October 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  9. jose

kids are just scared that something might happen to them for snitching

October 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Maryam

I find it sad that no one is coming forward, and the others that stood by to watch, I do pray they live with the burden and wieght of guilt for the remainder of their lives. This should be an eye opener to artists in the urban music industry to produce and compose positive messgaes through thier music.

October 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  11. Mel

Parents aren't parenting. Simple and plain.

October 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Mario

There is no trust in the police...How long before they arrived to the scene? Where were they at the time of the incident. This is why you do not snitchunless you want to be the next target.

October 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  13. jacqueline

wow. I understand that the students are being threatened not to be a "snitch" but even I, being a student, wouldn't do that! I would be smart and actually end this problem so that it won't happen again! And with the rappers, the ones that the students look up to, be a real role model and do what you know is right.

October 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Lori from IL

The killing of school children in Chicago does make the local news every time it happens - it just doesn't make the national news. The Chicago Tribune has had extensive coverage on this issue.

It should be noted that the majority of violence is in particular neighborhoods, not throughout the entire city. Chicago is a great city and tourists should not be afraid to visit.

The whole stop snitchin' idea is just sick and promotes the cycle of violence.

October 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  15. Isabel

The parents need to get together and have some of them be at the schools at the end of every day watching the kids to make sure they get home safely. The police could stop it if the mayor would send enough of them to the areas that need more help too.

October 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Cathy

I live in Chicago. This is not a race thing....these kids need people to help them feel safe...then they would not mind being a snitch. The parents are responsible...not the CPD. I was raised on the Southside of Chgo....I grew out of it! They can too....with the right parenting skills.

October 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Hans

What did the guy do? What is the background story to this violence?
    Hip hop has already come to the forefront of the conversation? Really?
    Let's get some info here people.

-Hans

October 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Cessy, Chicago IL

hello, everyone from the cold and rainy Chicago... Hi Anderson!

Thanks for extended coverage of the teen violence...

October 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  19. matt.b san bernardino,ca

Anderson you are so right..! black on black crime is out of control in chicago, That was a honor student,he could have been the next CEO of a business or the next president. I am praying for you chicago

October 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Johnathan

SNITCHING is the American way. It is practiced by criminals and communities of every hue. It is also a renowned practice by Police Officers the world over, known as the Blue Code of Silence. It is in no way exclusive to the Hip Hop and Inner City Community.

October 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Adrienne55

Its sad to say. In neighborhoods like this, people are afraid. If you snitch it will happen to you. Maybe, to your family. These are gang mentality folks! It is sad!!!! Very sad!!!!!
    And the music, it is terrible to say things like this "don't be a snitch." Cause the reality is you may be next! And that is why there is no answer for it. Unless there is police supervision for the kids to and from school and in the school. Which means money.
    I bet there are plenty of parents in that area that would say that when a boy becomes a certain age, the gangs are trying to get them in. If necesssary by force. The kids are scared to talk!

October 1, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Janine from PA.

Good Evening Mr. Cooper and AC360:
    The problem is these neighborhoods have let gangs take over and rule. They need to be dismantled. And parents need to be held responsible for what goes on. You will never change the attitudes of the children if you don't get after the parents too. And everyone in the neighborhoods affected by this.

October 1, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! Isn't it time to stop 'Stop Snitching'?

October 1, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Michelle

I think Steve Perry has it right. It is nationwide and
    it is not hip hop. The problem is that people think it
    is the norm in inner city neighborhoods because
    they never hear the positive news from urban areas.

October 1, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  25. ayanna

I think the reason kids are told not to snitch is because they will be retaliated against.

October 1, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Emily

@ Gloria, Brooklyn, NY ...I wonder if their parents know what is going on?

October 1, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Cynthia, NC

Good evening. Wow, shocking news from David Letterman!
    But, I don't understand why no one who witnessed the beating in Chicago has not come forward. The Stop Snitchin’ message is absurd.

October 1, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  28. Emily

Tyson is one of the Top Male Models is he not? I mean for clothes...

I heard that France is no longer backing Polanski!

October 1, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  29. Steve

I'm not surprised at all. I was beaten in Puerto Rico this year and I was told by the police that this drug gang would know my public informaiton if I made a formal complaint. There were people everywhere while I was ganged up on and kicked in the head. No one did anything to help.

October 1, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  30. Fay - CA

I don't condone the Stop Snitchin' movement, but it could be that some in the inner city communities don't feel secure that the police will protect them if they come forward.

October 1, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  31. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The parents should do the right thing in bring their children to justice.

October 1, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  32. starr, formerly known as vincent

It's bad enough that No One helped this young man while he was being beaten.

It's another thing entirely Not to cooperate with the investigation!

I know that the witnesses have got to be firghtened for their lives. But, this violence has got to Stop.

The Only way theviolence will stop, is for All people who have witnessed Any of these crimes against children to come forward and give their information to the investigators.

October 1, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Miriam Cooper, NY

Hi Anderson,

Your program is oh so awesome !!!!!

October 1, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Murder is OK but snitching is not. How perverted is this subculture?

October 1, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Nancy

This from "Cry, the Beloved Country". "I say we shall always have native crime to fear until the native people of this country have worthy purposes to inspire them and worthy goals to work for." Same with these kids in Chicago.

October 1, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Mike, Syracuse, NY

If the people who witnessed this crime don't come forward they are choosing silence over the life of their children. I have no sympathy for them.

October 1, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson. Wow, alot of news. The David Letterman stuff is pretty shocking.

October 1, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am not surprised about Letterman. I have always believed that most celebrities are amoral and don't deserve any admiration or respect.

October 1, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Emily

This is a sick video!!!!
    The fact that they don't want to say anything when someone died....wow!

October 1, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy October.
    I'm looking forward to your Heroes special tonight.
    It's shocking to hear such serious news about David Letterman.

October 1, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Hmmm, sounds like tonight's Top Ten list should be the top ten reasons to not have an affair.

October 1, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Dulcie - Denver

Interesting news about Letterman. I've always thought that his solution was always the right thing to do. Might be embarrassing, but is better than letting someone squeeze you.

October 1, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Letterman victim of blackmail ... that amazing story!

October 1, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Jacqueline, NY

Hello all!

October 1, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  45. starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson, Erica & Team 360 & Randi-Kaye (always).

Good evenign fellow bloggers.

This Letterman story is a surprise!

October 1, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Shelly - Kentucky

Wow- you couldn't make this stuff up!

October 1, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Anthonia-Bay Area,California

Good Eveing Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers!

I cant wait to see whats on today's top headlines!

October 1, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Emily

good evening Anderson, Erica, & Bloggers....

interesting news to start the night off....
    Letterman, etc.

October 1, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good evening everyone – Anderson, David ((Indiana), friends and bloggers!

And we're already in October! Soon ends the year!
    I love October because it is the month of my birthday! 🙂

October 1, 2009 at 10:00 pm |