September 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/30/09

A double dose of tragedy in the South Pacific. Another earthquake strikes.  Thousands of people are reportedly trapped. We'll take you inside the rescue effort.   Plus, a five-year-old takes on an alligator. A 40 pound boy versus an 800 pound gator. This kid isn't shy.

Want to know what else we're covering? <strong><a href="https://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    See you Friday night!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    Day of the shot with

September 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Karen Gonyea MN

I had a breast MRI at the Mayo Clinic because my old sister has breast cancer. My insurance company didn’t want to pay for the bill. They said they weren’t sure my sister had cancer. Really? My sister has had both breast removed and has been on chemo for most of 7 years. What a scam! After a lot of work on my end they finally paid the bill.

September 30, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Erica Hill, If all of Hollywood isn't behind Polanski, where are the ones who want him to serve time? Are they afraid they'll be blacklisted if they speak out?

September 30, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Jane - Vt

The people that attend the tea parties and are so against health care reform, have they never had to fight to get a claim paid? How can they not want things changed?

September 30, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Krista-Wabash, IN

I think, as citizens of America, really need to start speaking up on the poor quality of our justice system.

@ Erica
    That is truly heartbreaking to hear! I'll be praying for the situation.

September 30, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Dodie - California

@ Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Your family was very wise. Mine moved to Hawaii for that same reason.

September 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. David in AZ

Hi Anderson and Erica,

This one is a real downer tonight... The devastation in the Pacific, killings in Chicago, and anger against President Obama. I had to turn the show off-getting sick of seeing what is happening in our country. How did we become so angry and hateful?

September 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Fay - CA

Does anyone REALLY believe that insurance companies are actually interested in looking out for consumers? Wendell Potter is right.

September 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  9. sven

I'm glad Lisa got her view across on Polanski. I agree that the rich and famous think they are above the law or scrutiny and he should be held accountable if he didn't fulfill his plea deal.

September 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  10. starr, formerly known as vincent

Excellent report by Tom Foreman.

Insurance co.'s exist to make profits. As a nurse who worked as a medical consultant for insurance co.'s, i can tell you some adjusters act as though the insurance money is theirs. They very often do not want to pay out. And, often bonuses are gfven to adjusters who save the insurance company the most money.

September 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. CiCi - Dartmouth

Hey Anderson, nice stripes! (though you look better in solids)
    Receiving no tips at all is such a strange (non-) occurance, but the investigation should be able to rely on more than just a few phone tips – haven't they identified 4 of the participants already?
    How is Washington going fix this? Let's hope our policymakers come up with a better solution, because the effectiveness of their past 100$ million is certainly questionable.

September 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Thank you, Erica. It's wrong to generalize about any "group" of people, and it's just irrational.

September 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Dodie - California

Erica!

Yes... I completely agree. Very dangerous to lump everyone together and draw assumptions from that strategy.

September 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  14. betsy

Does no one understand that, regardless of whetehr Polanski is guilty or innocent, his crime now is that he fled the court's jursidiction. He had no right to do that. He has lived over 30 years in freedom, and now people want to protect hi because "the judge was not going to honor the deal." Whatever happened to the rule of law? How can anyone defend this man's unilateral decision to flee to live a life of luxury without the guts to face whatever the judge decided – with the right of appeal?

September 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Heather - Spokane, WA

A broken wrist is an existing condition? On what planet.......?

September 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Eugenia - San Francisco

that's it, that's the best you can do. these earthquakes need to be taken a little more seriously than this. look at history to understand.

September 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"You have to have lived in an inner city high violence to know that."

@Dodie, California, That is why my family moved to the suburbs.

September 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  18. ericacnn

Interesting point Lisa brought up about the feelings of the French toward Polanski.

My sister lives in France, my brother-in-law is French, and the outrage from both of them tonight watching people defend Polanski on the news and on a debate show was intense. Another reminder of how important it is to not generalize and lump people into one category. I think it's safe to say all of Hollywood is not behind Woody Allen et al, as well.

September 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Simone

Polanski should have been sent to trial and jail all those years ago. The fact that people and Hollywood elite believe we should allow him to remain free sends a blaring message to children their victimizations don't have value. What a sick society?

September 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Statutory rape is consensual with someone underage. This wasn't consensual so yes it really was 'rape rape'.

September 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Dodie - California

No public option = No health care reform

September 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Sabrina in Los Angeles

So sad about these earthquakes and tsunamis.

My heart goes out to them and their loss.

September 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  23. chris

yes they do.i broke my neck at a wal-mart and they screwed me around for 6 years.i lost my job an insurance,so for 3 of those years i had to just deal with it.

September 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  24. bbaker

I really love the unity of you citizens to uphold our laws and defend women in our country. Thanks to all of you! That is one thing which sometimes makes us different from other countries. Sometimes.

September 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Sandy Pennsylvania

Two great guests.

September 30, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  26. Monica M. Williams

Someone need to get Lisa Bloom on The View.

She can definitely hold her own. I love it.

Thanks for laying down the facts. : )

September 30, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  27. Sabrina in Los Angeles

I feel that Polanski should serve his time and said so on set Thursday...maybe that is why I have not been on set since....lol...Or there just isn't work right now.

I can't believe the twisted thoughts of those in my town.

HE did the crime, he was allowed out of the country to finish a film and ditched....I think they would call that bail jumping in any other terms.

HE needs to do the time he was sentenced to...Do the crime, do the time.

September 30, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"Whoopie and the rest of the Hollywood crowd are all morally bankrupt."

@Mike, Syracuse, NY, I agree completely! I am not surprised by their attitude because this is acceptable behavior for that bunch.

September 30, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  29. David, Indiana

30 years later how important is it to punish someone for not serving a 90 day sentence? Or is the sentence longer now?

September 30, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  30. Ashley H, Canada

Hi everyone.

What time did this new earthquake just strike? What was the magnitude?

@Anderson: You've been to Sri Lanka after the tsunami in 2004, what was it like when you went?

How much damage can a ten foot tsunami cause?

September 30, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  31. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I agree with Joy...so what,he should be prosecuted.If all the people that have gone through this called out their molesters,there would be a lot more people in jail,trust me! Perhaps if he does serve time it may deter others from seeking out victims for their own exploitation and save some one a life time of heartache and confusion.

September 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Krista-Wabash, IN

I also agree that stars need to quit getting 'star' treatment.
    Its ridiculous what our 'justice' system allows.
    Not to mention the cash flow 'under the table'.
    The American justice system really disgusts me sometimes.

September 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  33. Anthony Crisafi

Polanski should be prosecuted for his crime, and if found guilty should go to jail. What he did was inexcusable.

September 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  34. Jane - Vt

Joy and Lisa, right on!

September 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  35. Collette

If the girl was accusing him of rape NOT just statuatory, then it needs to be taken as rape.

September 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  36. Vince

Let's all hope for strength and resilience for the earth quake victims to fight against the odds until help arrives to meet their direct needs...

September 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  37. Dodie - California

And I wonder how many children in Switzerland were also abused by this guy. That behavior does not stop with one child!!!

September 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  38. gail

Time to pay the piper, Roman!

September 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse, NY

My opinion of Joy has gone up a notch.

September 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  40. Heather - Spokane, WA

I seriously think Woody Allen should not be doing any talking on this subject!

September 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  41. Aaron

Polanski should have long ago, gone down like any other rapist, he should pay for his crime. He pleaded guilty

September 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  42. David, Indiana

The video is itself a tip, there must've been tips that helped police arrest the four suspects they've arrested, but maybe there's something I'm not understanding.

September 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  43. Conley

What a mess. Dude needs to be in prison. He raped a child.

.fin.

September 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Dodie - California

He raped and drugged a 13 year old child! End of story!!!

If we reward people who run to another country... everyone would take off

September 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I guess Polanski is getting a lot of support from the Hollywood community because this is acceptable behavior for that bunch.

September 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  46. Mike, Syracuse, NY

True point, a judge is under no obligation to honor any plea deal. Polanski should be charged with all the original felony charges.

September 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  47. Karen Gonyea MN

Not Rape? Really? A grown man having sex with a 13 year old is very wronge!

September 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

What? They are looking for a part in his next movie or what?

September 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  49. Fay - CA

I can't imagine how those celebrities can seriously defend what Polanski did. "Protecting their own" is not a good enough reason, what Polanski did was reprehensible and he needs pay for his crime.

September 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Erica,
    Yes, Very sad for mothers lose their babies, durning earthquake..... I agree with you....Very hard for moms lose love ones, I knew what god need help moms to cope/confortable lose.

September 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |